The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2020, 08:33 PM   #1
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Ordered a Quartz Grand Seiko, will I regret it?

I owned GS SBG061 a while ago on which I loved the finishing of case, indices and hands. The case back display with the automatic non-high beat caliber was atrocious and did not match the front at all. That watch was sold in a trade for DD40 which I then was disappointed with on the finishing of indices and dial compared to the GS

The other night after a few glass of wine I browsed watches as usual and went down the Grand Seiko research rabbit hole. Wanted to pull the trigger on a GS Spring Drive or Hi-Beat for a long time but never found one that caught my liking as a package (beautiful dials are aplenty). Main issue I have with GS are the thickness of around 13mm and the sub-standard bracelet.

Found a model that caught my eye SBGA245 who unfortunately turned out to be a Quartz. Proportions are perfect on paper 40x11.8, it has 200m WR, sail cloth type of strap, lume and a more sporty brushed finish without looking like an Explorer II. After researching the GS 9F82 movement I realised that if you are going to have a quartz movement this is the one. +/- 10 per year, hand assembled with a descent finish. It also has in-house grown quartz, possibility to regulate, and 50y service intervall according to internet.

Never managed to bond with a quartz watch for obvious reasons but let's see if I can live with this one. Will be a sort of 'beater' or just grab-and-go watch since it will always show correct time.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgv245j

Will arrive from Japan in 2-3 weeks...

Anyone had experience with this watch or GS Quartz?

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 12.30.49.png
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I bought mine on impulse in Hiroshima in early 2018, and have worn it most days since. The 9F movement is very significant, and you'll appreciate having a watch that is always right, and will likely never need a service. I just got my first battery change and pressure test for free at the local Seiko Service Centre.

This Jack Forster article from 2015 is well worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS Off Wrist.jpg (231.1 KB, 905 views)
Old 24 June 2020, 08:59 PM   #3
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I bought mine on impulse in Hiroshima in early 2018, and have worn it most days since. The 9F movement is very significant, and you'll appreciate having a watch that is always right, and will likely never need a service. I just got my first battery change and pressure test for free at the local Seiko Service Centre.

This Jack Forster article from 2015 is well worth a look if you haven't seen it already.
Hadn't read that one but he also wrote this one
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...z-caliber-9f82

Appreciate that they implement this anti-flutter feature for the second hand as it stops every second. I expect the second hand to be perfectly aligned to the markers.
Old 24 June 2020, 11:03 PM   #4
cmhorner17
"TRF" Member

You won't regret it at all. I have a GS 9F and absolutely love it. Don't forget too about the date flipping in the blink of an eye. And yes, mine is perfectly aligned to the markers.

Also with the way the hands and indices are polished and angled it catches and reflects light at all angles.

In other words, great choice.
cmhorner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
OP that particular model is an absolute stunner that I too have had my eye on. I have also tried it on at an AD and it really is a great looking watch. Especially with that horizontal brushing on the dial. You made a great choice on a well finished, reliable watch. Wear it in good health!
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:09 AM   #6
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhorner17 View Post
You won't regret it at all. I have a GS 9F and absolutely love it. Don't forget too about the date flipping in the blink of an eye. And yes, mine is perfectly aligned to the markers.

Also with the way the hands and indices are polished and angled it catches and reflects light at all angles.

In other words, great choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolex View Post
OP that particular model is an absolute stunner that I too have had my eye on. I have also tried it on at an AD and it really is a great looking watch. Especially with that horizontal brushing on the dial. You made a great choice on a well finished, reliable watch. Wear it in good health!
Thanks for the confirming words. Can't wait to get it!
Old 25 June 2020, 10:30 AM   #7
britabroad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGV245
This watch is fantastic, stunning, the design and size is perfect

Op, you may find this interesting?
But at the end of the day you like what you like, so please let me know if its for you or being sold on?

here's a write up I did awhile ago in part on why I purchased. I took my search more seriously on what I wanted as its not a beater for and will be my high end watch. I have a Omega Planet Ocean LM and yes this GS is higher up the quality ladder.
I pulled the trigger fast on this one!

Why GS & Why this model?

My first GS, I like the Seiko brand and its history, GS has always held an appeal for many reasons I wont go into here.
And something about not going the Swiss route and being different appeals to me and fits my character.
I will be shocked if I ever see someone else wearing one.
Though if I do we can have watch geek bonding moment for sure.
I enjoy the way these are to a degree hand polished and its a more manual manufacturing process, and thats incredible for the price of this model.
The watch is amazing to look at and the dial does not come out in the pics as how nice it is.
I also like the design of the movement gor a Q! Really nice work, not a reason to buy but it did impress me

I was looking for a watch that was sporty, which is my style as well as for me being a "dressy watch" very much as I define dress in 2020, including wearing at work (smart casual, jeans etc..)
I wanted a more classic looking dial that I hope will stand the test of time as and when fashions change as I hope to keep this due to it being my first milestone watch.
Require 100m water resistance (it has 200m)
I recently bought a very cheap quartz for the first time in over 30 years and it reminded my of the joy and pleasure I never having to wind it! I have enough watches that provide this for me!
I am hoping for a 2 or 3 year battery change and a 10 year servicing/
I dont service until I see a need, so might be longer might be shorter, will I get to 50 years!
Who knows whether this claim on social media is true, if it is I wont be paying for service as I wont be on this earth!
I like the design which is unique to my collection.
& finally I wanted a watch that could handle many different straps.

I never though Id find something that ticked all these boxes, impossible, then I see the SBGV245! two weeks later its mine!

In person it really is a wonderful watch, its understated but also it catches the light like crazy due to the polishing and the indices so it has a certain bling to it so its not 100% unnoticed.
The size is perfect for my wrist and is the size I like.
Dial incredible, yes its great (never ever thought I'd buy boring grey!) It has various tones to it from light to dark and a certain richness or hue, hard to explain. Its not flat as it has horizontal markings / texture, very subtle but can be seen in some lights.
If you dont like grey dont get it! but if your open to it check it out, I have to say Im surprised and lucked out with how nice it is.
Case amazing
drilled lugs - perfect! why dont all watches have these?
Screw down crown, my preference for any water resistance
High quality strap that took one week to wear in including keeping it in a watch box to shape it. Initially its tough and does not sit right on the wrist

If its a watch of interest for you, do your due diligence, my advice is I highly recommend it to anyone if you like it.
I love GS but its the first one that suits me and my requirements.

Oh and how come they can get the crown GS logo to align, or Im I just lucky?
britabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

I have a GS sbgn007. I absolutely love it. I appreciate the 9F movement, its remarkable, however, I do still lust after a spring drive!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:09 AM   #9
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
That's a popular watch , thought about it but ended up buying the quartz GMT. It's one is best designs and beautiful looking watch albeit similar to 5 digit Explorer II. Totally love it!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Love me some 9F quartz... You've researched the movement and know what makes it special, so hopefully you'll love it. If you have (or get) mechanical watches, think of it as a 'master reference' for setting them with
Old 25 June 2020, 01:59 PM   #11
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

The build quality of Grand Seiko, is IMO phenomenal. The only downside is the hit they take on the secondary market (which represents a buying opportunity).
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 02:00 PM   #12
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It is a stunner in person! Not to mention is has more lume than most of the GS line up. Congrats on it.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:51 PM   #13
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Great review, thanks for sharing!

I had similar criteria and know after having owned many watches more or less what I like but still can be hit and miss ordering online unseen.

Share some pics on different strap!?

I see this watch as same style category as PP Aquanaut (just -x10 price category), which I have seen but never tried. I expect the external and dial finishing to be at similar level honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
This watch is fantastic, stunning, the design and size is perfect

Op, you may find this interesting?
But at the end of the day you like what you like, so please let me know if its for you or being sold on?

here's a write up I did awhile ago in part on why I purchased. I took my search more seriously on what I wanted as its not a beater for and will be my high end watch. I have a Omega Planet Ocean LM and yes this GS is higher up the quality ladder.
I pulled the trigger fast on this one!

Why GS & Why this model?

My first GS, I like the Seiko brand and its history, GS has always held an appeal for many reasons I wont go into here.
And something about not going the Swiss route and being different appeals to me and fits my character.
I will be shocked if I ever see someone else wearing one.
Though if I do we can have watch geek bonding moment for sure.
I enjoy the way these are to a degree hand polished and its a more manual manufacturing process, and thats incredible for the price of this model.
The watch is amazing to look at and the dial does not come out in the pics as how nice it is.
I also like the design of the movement gor a Q! Really nice work, not a reason to buy but it did impress me

I was looking for a watch that was sporty, which is my style as well as for me being a "dressy watch" very much as I define dress in 2020, including wearing at work (smart casual, jeans etc..)
I wanted a more classic looking dial that I hope will stand the test of time as and when fashions change as I hope to keep this due to it being my first milestone watch.
Require 100m water resistance (it has 200m)
I recently bought a very cheap quartz for the first time in over 30 years and it reminded my of the joy and pleasure I never having to wind it! I have enough watches that provide this for me!
I am hoping for a 2 or 3 year battery change and a 10 year servicing/
I dont service until I see a need, so might be longer might be shorter, will I get to 50 years!
Who knows whether this claim on social media is true, if it is I wont be paying for service as I wont be on this earth!
I like the design which is unique to my collection.
& finally I wanted a watch that could handle many different straps.

I never though Id find something that ticked all these boxes, impossible, then I see the SBGV245! two weeks later its mine!

In person it really is a wonderful watch, its understated but also it catches the light like crazy due to the polishing and the indices so it has a certain bling to it so its not 100% unnoticed.
The size is perfect for my wrist and is the size I like.
Dial incredible, yes its great (never ever thought I'd buy boring grey!) It has various tones to it from light to dark and a certain richness or hue, hard to explain. Its not flat as it has horizontal markings / texture, very subtle but can be seen in some lights.
If you dont like grey dont get it! but if your open to it check it out, I have to say Im surprised and lucked out with how nice it is.
Case amazing
drilled lugs - perfect! why dont all watches have these?
Screw down crown, my preference for any water resistance
High quality strap that took one week to wear in including keeping it in a watch box to shape it. Initially its tough and does not sit right on the wrist

If its a watch of interest for you, do your due diligence, my advice is I highly recommend it to anyone if you like it.
I love GS but its the first one that suits me and my requirements.

Oh and how come they can get the crown GS logo to align, or Im I just lucky?
Old 26 June 2020, 12:02 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
That's a popular watch , thought about it but ended up buying the quartz GMT. It's one is best designs and beautiful looking watch albeit similar to 5 digit Explorer II. Totally love it!

Great shot ! This is my one and only GS quartz. What a great timepiece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 12:04 AM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing!

I had similar criteria and know after having owned many watches more or less what I like but still can be hit and miss ordering online unseen.

Share some pics on different strap!?

I see this watch as same style category as PP Aquanaut (just -x10 price category), which I have seen but never tried. I expect the external and dial finishing to be at similar level honestly.

OP, the 245 is a great watch... but it is nothing like the aquanaut when comparing them in person, so don’t get your hopes up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 12:37 AM   #16
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiexplorer View Post
I have a GS sbgn007. I absolutely love it. I appreciate the 9F movement, its remarkable, however, I do still lust after a spring drive!
I suspect that I may add an SD movement watch to the collection one day too.. quite the opposite of quartz with the sweeping hand even though they both have quartz inside. GS comes out with many interesting limited editions so keeping my eyes open.

Quote:
It is beautiful! and probably better finished than Explorer II 16570 which is one of my favourite Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Love me some 9F quartz... You've researched the movement and know what makes it special, so hopefully you'll love it. If you have (or get) mechanical watches, think of it as a 'master reference' for setting them with

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
The build quality of Grand Seiko, is IMO phenomenal. The only downside is the hit they take on the secondary market (which represents a buying opportunity).
Yeah.. but don't most watches take at hit, even Rolex have a transaction cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
It is a stunner in person! Not to mention is has more lume than most of the GS line up. Congrats on it.
Old 26 June 2020, 12:39 AM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
OP, the 245 is a great watch... but it is nothing like the aquanaut when comparing them in person, so don’t get your hopes up!
Of course I know this.. but from what I hear the aquanaut have disappointed quite a few people for the price (in secondary market).
Old 26 June 2020, 12:31 PM   #18
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If they made a slightly larger, mechanical version of this I would take it over a Rolex 216570 without hesitation
Old 26 June 2020, 01:14 PM   #19
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If they made a slightly larger, mechanical version of this I would take it over a Rolex 216570 without hesitation
You should try this on. Even though it is 39mm, wears bigger than 5 digit Explorer and perfectly sits in between both Explorers.

Regarding automatic, there's one discontinued one looking similar like this.

Here's with 5 digit Explorer.
Old 26 June 2020, 01:36 PM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should try this on. Even though it is 39mm, wears bigger than 5 digit Explorer and perfectly sits in between both Explorers.

Regarding automatic, there's one discontinued one looking similar like this.

Here's with 5 digit Explorer.
Yes, agreed - the quartz is fantastic in its own right (and better proportioned imo than the previous Exp II, which I never really got on with). My thinking is that GS could pitch a mech version against the 216570, although of course they already have several fine mech and SD GMTs in the catalogue
Old 26 June 2020, 02:39 PM   #21
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, agreed - the quartz is fantastic in its own right (and better proportioned imo than the previous Exp II, which I never really got on with). My thinking is that GS could pitch a mech version against the 216570, although of course they already have several fine mech and SD GMTs in the catalogue
SBGM227
Old 26 June 2020, 03:43 PM   #22
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SBGM227

Indeed, but unfortunately this is a discontinued model.
Old 26 June 2020, 10:29 PM   #23
GlossSwiss
Banned

looks nice
GlossSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 02:38 AM   #24
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Beautiful watch. I love the dimensions.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 03:20 AM   #25
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I really dig this watch and I am such a sucker for an olive green strap. I just wish it had something to break up the empty space at the bottom of the dial. The limited edition 9Fs that are rated to 5 seconds per year have a single star at the bottom of the dial and for me it makes all the difference in the world.

mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 11:43 PM   #26
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

Seiko GS quartz are incredible devices. I'm very much looking forward to acquiring the SBPG003 with the new 9F85 movement.
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 12:09 AM   #27
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
At first I was hesitant too but its not a biggie
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 02:37 AM   #28
bremersm
Banned

I bought a SBGX295 on a whim before a trip to Mexico earlier this year. I wear dress watches so infrequency that I wanted something that I could throw on and nit worry about. I LOVE it. It has made me rethink how often I wear dress watches. The 9f is a history movement.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:06 AM   #29
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
That's a wonderful piece!! It's functional simplicity and fit/finish is great. What reference is it? I love the day indicator. It's such a vintage Seiko look like back when there was no quick set for the day. When I wear my vintage Seikos from the 60's I fire it up on the day that matches on the watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f
Old 30 June 2020, 03:26 AM   #30
cmhorner17
"TRF" Member

Some fun dinner table conversation points and history of the 9F movement
https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...o-9f-movement/
cmhorner17 is offline   Reply With Quote