The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2023, 04:45 AM   #1
subguy
"TRF" Member

Availability of Platinum DD 40

What has been your success at getting the new fluted ice blue platinum DD40? I put my name on my AD's wait list (I was first) when it was first announced last March. He says Rolex sends him new watches at their whim and he never knows what will be in his next allotment.

Is this unusual? How many of you have gotten one (new, from the AD)?
To you lucky ones who scored, are you as thrilled in real life as the pictures imply?
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 04:48 AM   #2
subguy
"TRF" Member

Also

I forgot to say that he is my local AD and I have purchased several Rolexes from his previously.
Old 26 April 2023, 04:48 AM   #3
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I have a good relationship with my AD and he says he hasn't seen a fluted bezel PT DD yet. Hopefully this helps you feel a bit better. They get shipments but they don't know 100 percent what is in each shipment.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 04:53 AM   #4
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
What has been your success at getting the new fluted ice blue platinum DD40? I put my name on my AD's wait list (I was first) when it was first announced last March. He says Rolex sends him new watches at their whim and he never knows what will be in his next allotment.

Is this unusual? How many of you have gotten one (new, from the AD)?
To you lucky ones who scored, are you as thrilled in real life as the pictures imply?
Guessing your AD is part of a group, like WOS. Or is it a true independent AD?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 04:58 AM   #5
subguy
"TRF" Member

I don't know what a WOS is. He is not a so called flagship store (exclusively Rolex) but he is authorized Rolex with all the displays, visits by the Rolex reps (he tells me), etc.
Old 26 April 2023, 04:58 AM   #6
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know what a WOS is. He is not a so called flagship store (exclusively Rolex) but he is authorized Rolex with all the displays, visits by the Rolex reps (he tells me), etc.
Watches Of Switzerland.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 04:59 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck, I hope you land it soon
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 05:58 AM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
My AD (they own 3 stores and I talk direct to the owner) has not had one arrive yet but they have had the new 42 YM in WG & YG but not Ti and no Plat DD 40 yet.
He saw them in Switzerland a couple weeks ago and thinks it looks great.
Now unless you have the Ice Blue dial people can't tell if its WG or Plat.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:08 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
My local AD claims they have not gotten in any Platinum model in over two years.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:15 AM   #10
VerticalClutch
Banned

Very, very difficult. if you're not one of your AD's very best clients, I don't think you'll get it. Being "first" on a list is irrelevant. Buying previous Rolex's is also irrelevant imo, the question is how much have you spent in non-Rolex items? The biggest folks on that list with get the ice blue DD...and I'm told that won't be very many folks at all.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:33 AM   #11
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a somewhat respectable purchase history of jewelry, etc. at a smaller independent AD and was told it would be years, if at all. I’m not sure how Rolex allocates platinum to the ADs, but I’d guess the largest ones get preference.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:42 AM   #12
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

My AD said they only expect to get one a year.

I heard a funny one the other day...if the platinum Daytona is called the Platona, the platinum Day-Date should be called the Play Date.

Hope to have a Play Date soon!
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:59 AM   #13
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I’ve been on the hunt for one also. One AD also mentioned he has not seen a platinum DD in a few years.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 10:23 AM   #14
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

My AD said they've sold two 36mm (one regular, one diamond bezel) but they haven't gotten any 40mm.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 11:16 AM   #15
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

My AD said they get two per year, occasionally a third will surprise them.

We didn't get into specifics of 36 vs 40MM.

I've never seen one in their cases, even before the boom when it was not uncommon for them to have 4-5 DDs of various flavors at any one time.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:03 AM   #16
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Just got mine about two weeks ago (fluted, ice blue, Romans) after waiting about 18 mos. I was on list for one before the change to fluted last year which luckily I prefer. Mine is first my AD saw in that interim. It’s a great watch.
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 02:08 AM   #17
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

In January 2021, I called my AD for Platinum DD 40. At that time smooth bezel, and I'm glad because I LOVE the blued romans and hands. (I just retired from an industry with an abundance of blued products, so it fits me).

I just checked, I got the call March 2021 that it was ready.

I guess things have really changed in two years.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 04:16 AM   #18
subguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1 View Post
Just got mine about two weeks ago (fluted, ice blue, Romans) after waiting about 18 mos. I was on list for one before the change to fluted last year which luckily I prefer. Mine is first my AD saw in that interim. It’s a great watch.
AHA! Maybe they are producing more of them now? I'm glad you like it - please keep me posted on time accuracy and anything else of interest. I've been on my AD's waitlist for 13 months for it.
Old 27 April 2023, 06:49 AM   #19
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Quote:
AHA! Maybe they are producing more of them now? I'm glad you like it - please keep me posted on time accuracy and anything else of interest. I've been on my AD's waitlist for 13 months for it.
I picked it up right before having my hip replaced - have had it on thru my recovery and have had more spare time than normal. Checked it a few times after 2 days or so and it was within a second of reference time. Not scientific but was notably accurate. Other thing I’d mention is it seems the President bracelets are a touch smaller than oyster. Usually I can put on a Rolex out of the case and it fits me just about perfectly. This one (and another YG DD40 on exhibition at same time) was tighter than I wanted. So, I ended up adding one link - now it is perfect for me. Good luck in the chase!
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:14 PM   #20
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Was randomly offered a 36mm PT DD fluted bezel in January... And took it. They're beautiful pieces. Good luck!
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:34 PM   #21
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Rolex sends him new watches at their whim and he never knows what will be in his next allotment.

Is this unusual?
This is correct, however they do have a crystal ball on what is incoming.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:39 PM   #22
MSL997
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 & 116520s
This is a very hard watch and it’s remotely gotten in along with hardness of JM. WG Blue face Daytona was 1 a year at Ads

4 SS Daytonas come in per year.

European watch co has the previous version Platona a 2013 for $100k. I believe it’s $20k over MSRP and worth paying that to obtain one.
MSL997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 04:49 PM   #23
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Not really a crystal ball…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
This is correct, however they do have a crystal ball on what is incoming.
Dealers place an annual order, (and sometimes monthly update)
They don’t know what they will get of it, but they won’t get what they didn’t order in first place…
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 11:23 PM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
This is a very hard watch and it’s remotely gotten in along with hardness of JM. WG Blue face Daytona was 1 a year at Ads

4 SS Daytonas come in per year.

European watch co has the previous version Platona a 2013 for $100k. I believe it’s $20k over MSRP and worth paying that to obtain one.
I have not seen a fluted bezel Plat DD version in any size at Eur. Watch, so that makes me think they are rare.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 11:43 AM   #25
Uye47
"TRF" Member

Did you request the Roman numerals? I’m on the fence on the Roman numerals vs diamond hour markers.
Uye47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 12:35 PM   #26
subguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruyehara47 View Post
Did you request the Roman numerals? I’m on the fence on the Roman numerals vs diamond hour markers.
This is easy for me: Romans, not diamonds. One of the reasons I like the watch is that it is sort of "stealthy". To the unknowldegable, it would be assumed to be steel or possibly WG. To me (a guy), diamonds scream ostentatiousnes.

I've always loved the look of the yellow gold day date but it just screams a blingy over the top, "look at my hyper expensive watch." With the platinum DD, most non Rolex people won't know it for what it is - which is what I want.
Old 29 April 2023, 04:30 AM   #27
Uye47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is easy for me: Romans, not diamonds. One of the reasons I like the watch is that it is sort of "stealthy". To the unknowldegable, it would be assumed to be steel or possibly WG. To me (a guy), diamonds scream ostentatiousnes.

I've always loved the look of the yellow gold day date but it just screams a blingy over the top, "look at my hyper expensive watch." With the platinum DD, most non Rolex people won't know it for what it is - which is what I want.
I feel the same way. I’m on the list for the Romans, but I was quietus about people who wear the diamonds. I’m looking for an under the radar look. That’s why I could never pull off a yellow gold one.
Old 29 April 2023, 05:47 AM   #28
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:

Have you seen the diamond blue in person?
The diamonds seem to almost blend into the dial, its less obvious than on a black dial etc.

I can't decide between the Ice Blue Romans or Ice Blue Diamond myself

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2023, 06:38 AM   #29
Uye47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Have you seen the diamond blue in person?
The diamonds seem to almost blend into the dial, its less obvious than on a black dial etc.

I can't decide between the Ice Blue Romans or Ice Blue Diamond myself
I haven’t seen it in person. Only on the Rolex website and on Chrono24.
Old 29 April 2023, 07:32 AM   #30
Uye47
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I couldn’t do yellow gold. It’s just too much.