The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2020, 07:58 AM   #31
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
This post shows that you don't really understand the market or the economics. How can you say PP as a whole is a bad investment when some of their watches trade for 2-3x retail? Rolex has many dogs for watches, too, that depreciate or move very slowly but it also has total stars like the SS Daytona. The Ellipse is probably on par with a ladies Datejust when it comes to general desirability.

To the OP: If it doesn't bring you joy and is not being worn, get rid of it! Life is short
I understand markets and economics. My commentary was around the buffoons that think a mass produced fashion bauble is an investment. Rolex and PP are no exception to this with a few notable exceptions like the Daytona. The genius out there buying a hulk for 20K thinking it is going to go up in value is a primary example of this. Reminds me of 2000 when every dog .com stock was flying through the roof. Lots of hype with Rolex now as well as PP and a few others. I remember when Breitling was the darling and everyone had to have a navitimer. In the long run, 99% of watches end up losing value. That was my only point.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:22 AM   #32
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for the input on my trade possibility. A lot of good points have been made here. When I started looking, I had hoped to trade the Ellipse close to even for a new-to-me watch, It was quickly apparent from the lack of interest I was seeing that was going to be a longshot. (Even Crown and Caliber had no interest at all. In addition, Davud SW contacted a vintage guy he knows for me, but that led nowhere.) So I've had to lower my sights.

By the way, I am still finding it very difficult to post a picture. I tried imgur.com, but was stymied. Maybe I'm jus not technologically savvy.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:15 PM   #33
Jonnyindy
"TRF" Member

John Reardon (Collectability) loves the Ellipse
https://collectability.com/video/pat...lipse-watches/

If you haven’t already, reach out to him to get his take on the value of your watch
Jonnyindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:33 PM   #34
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

I think it’s a sweet piece.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:03 PM   #35
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

What size is it?
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:42 PM   #36
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhawk View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input on my trade possibility. A lot of good points have been made here. When I started looking, I had hoped to trade the Ellipse close to even for a new-to-me watch, It was quickly apparent from the lack of interest I was seeing that was going to be a longshot. (Even Crown and Caliber had no interest at all. In addition, Davud SW contacted a vintage guy he knows for me, but that led nowhere.) So I've had to lower my sights.

By the way, I am still finding it very difficult to post a picture. I tried imgur.com, but was stymied. Maybe I'm jus not technologically savvy.
This forum isn’t the easiest to post smart phone pictures to, but there are smart phone apps like “image size” you can download to reduce the pixel count to 120x120. If the file is still too large just reduce it a little more. Should only take a few seconds once you download the app.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:54 PM   #37
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
What size is it?
According to my paperwork 26x40
Old 15 September 2020, 03:05 PM   #38
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

What if you get invited to an event that requires a dinner jacket? (never say tuxedo, that’s a term for unwashed American rubes). You cannot wear a Milgaus or Sub. The secret society members will instantly know that you do not belong and you will miss out on all of the insider trade deals. You certainly will not be invited to Burning Man or Bohemian Grove.

Seriously though. A Patek Ellipse is perfect for this occasion. I kind of want to find a good example myself.
��
Old 15 September 2020, 03:20 PM   #39
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, unfortunately that's why. A watch with a 26mm diameter will put the vast majority of male buyers off, and used female watches tend to sell for less in general.

If you can live with the size, then just hang on to it, if not just trade it for whatever you like more.

How did you come about the watch in the first place? Seems like an interesting choice of watch to own.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:26 PM   #40
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure?

Patek website shows new modern Ellipse is 34.5 x 39.5 mm but has diameter of 27.5 mm? Ok now I’m confused.

26 x 40 would skew the proportions badly. That would be a tall skinny watch.
Old 15 September 2020, 11:58 PM   #41
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
What if you get invited to an event that requires a dinner jacket? (never say tuxedo, that’s a term for unwashed American rubes). You cannot wear a Milgaus or Sub. The secret society members will instantly know that you do not belong and you will miss out on all of the insider trade deals. You certainly will not be invited to Burning Man or Bohemian Grove.

Seriously though. A Patek Ellipse is perfect for this occasion. I kind of want to find a good example myself.
��
I sold another Patek (for a profit) in January of 2019. A month later I was missing having one in the collection, so I started searching again. I found this one at Bernard Watch in Austin. (They were good to work with.). I think what I'm seeing now is the difference between the retail price I paid and the wholesale price I'm now being offered--it's pretty much as simple as that. I've been most surprised by Crown and Caliber. They used to have a lot of Ellipses for sale. Recently I didn't see any on their site and when I contacted them to nquire about a trade they said they were not interested.

Last edited by fwhawk; 15 September 2020 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Responded to wrong person
Old 16 September 2020, 12:09 AM   #42
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been most surprised by Crown and Caliber. They used to have a lot of Ellipses for sale. Recently I didn't see any on their site and when I contacted them to nquire about a trade they said they were not interested.
If you are selling a stainless sports Rolex they'll talk to you (and, honestly, make a pretty good offer most of the time) otherwise it's a crapshoot. I think you might have legitimate success through the forum or even on r/watchexchange.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 12:10 AM   #43
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
Ok, unfortunately that's why. A watch with a 26mm diameter will put the vast majority of male buyers off, and used female watches tend to sell for less in general.

If you can live with the size, then just hang on to it, if not just trade it for whatever you like more.

How did you come about the watch in the first place? Seems like an interesting choice of watch to own.
I sold a Patek for a profit in January of 2019. Within a month I was missing having one so I started a new search. I found this one at Bernard Watch in Austin, company I would recommend.
Old 17 September 2020, 03:48 PM   #44
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

UPDATE--

Again thanks to all for your input. After going back and forth for a couple of days I went ahead and made the trade. I picked up the Milgauss on Wednesday, and I am very pleased. It has been a while since I have owned a Rolex and I had forgotten how solid and substantial they are. I have had no second thoughts yet.

My "collection" now consists of the Milgauss, a Patek Philippe Neptune, and a Hamilton Piping Rock (with lots of sentimental value) that is nearly 100 years old. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do so.
Old 17 September 2020, 09:41 PM   #45
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I don’t think that watch is suddenly going to increase in popularity. I would say get that trade and never look back!