The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 November 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Who's got the Numbers?

No - not who has the largest number of Rolex - that would only make me envious.
Is there a source for the numbers produced of the various models that are no longer in production? One would imagine that there is a reference source somewhere for this, either on the net or in a reference text. Any ideas?
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
tinstar
"TRF" Member

I would be interested in the M serial 16710's
2008 Seadweller
2ea. 2008 GMT-II 3186 Coke (late "M")
tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2009, 02:33 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex is a privately held company and has never released any production data to the public.
Old 9 November 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar View Post
I would be interested in the M serial 16710's
Cannot think why are case stamp M any different to any other GMT since 1988 apart from a non lug hole case and a few minor bracelet and font details.Thats about it except perhaps some have the slightly modded 3185 into the 3186.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2009, 03:47 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
No - not who has the largest number of Rolex - that would only make me envious.
Is there a source for the numbers produced of the various models that are no longer in production? One would imagine that there is a reference source somewhere for this, either on the net or in a reference text. Any ideas?
As Larry said nothing about the production figures on record but watches like the SD and GMT11.That were in production since 1988/9 basically unchanged except for a few minor details like non lug hole case minor fonts etc sure must be quite a few of those in this world today.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 November 2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Guys, I thought there might have been a book that had been written on Rolex (similar to the books written on Jaguar) that cover history, models, photos, production values etc. I accept that it is a private company, but it is surprising how 'private' details have a way of ending up in print. I would be interested in a good book on Rolex along the lines I have described even without production figures. No ideas anyone?
Old 11 November 2009, 03:10 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Thanks Guys, I thought there might have been a book that had been written on Rolex (similar to the books written on Jaguar) that cover history, models, photos, production values etc. I accept that it is a private company, but it is surprising how 'private' details have a way of ending up in print. I would be interested in a good book on Rolex along the lines I have described even without production figures. No ideas anyone?
Probably the best history reference with model and movement information is the Dowling-Hess book "Best of Time"

One thing about Rolex research and books you learn is that with Rolex, there is more than one answer for many questions, and much of the lore and myth is just downright wrong......therefore, these "reference" books occasionally conflict.. But Rolex makes no effort to correct any of the private research out there..
Old 11 November 2009, 08:05 PM   #8
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Larry, much appreciated. I will source the Dowling-Hess book. My interest in the production numbers resulted from my efforts to use the Serial number of my "W" prefix 4112 to narrow down the build date to a probable single year. I seem to be able to place it in the '94 -'97 timeframe, but being a bit anal I was hoping to narrow that down a bit based on a high number Serial (88000) which perhaps suggests that it was made towards the end of the 4112 model run.
Cheers, Rocky.
Old 11 November 2009, 08:28 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks Larry, much appreciated. I will source the Dowling-Hess book. My interest in the production numbers resulted from my efforts to use the Serial number of my "W" prefix 4112 to narrow down the build date to a probable single year. I seem to be able to place it in the '94 -'97 timeframe, but being a bit anal I was hoping to narrow that down a bit based on a high number Serial (88000) which perhaps suggests that it was made towards the end of the 4112 model run.
Cheers, Rocky.
W. case stamp started 1994 till December 1995 possible January 1996 but its only a rough guide when the case was stamped.And not when the watch was sold from a AD or third party.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 November 2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks padi, On purchase, I was told it was a 1995 build and the papers show the original date of purchase as 2001. The general condition of the watch appears consistent with the band (believed to be original) which appears virtually unworn. It is only the 'anal retentive' side of my personality that demands that I attempt to investigate further.
Old 12 November 2009, 09:32 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks padi, On purchase, I was told it was a 1995 build and the papers show the original date of purchase as 2001. The general condition of the watch appears consistent with the band (believed to be original) which appears virtually unworn. It is only the 'anal retentive' side of my personality that demands that I attempt to investigate further.
Well myself been around Rolex watches for thirty plus years,and my sons are still wearing my old OPs from late 1969 and 1972.Still got there original oyster bracelets and show very little signs wear.Its simple just keep any Rolex clean with plain old soap and water and service 5/7years they will last decades and beyond.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 November 2009, 12:15 PM   #12
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Ball
well said Tools.

Research is a living breathing moving and osmosing river of knowledge. Conventional wisdom changes constantly as new info is found.

-Jeff Hess
jeff hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hess View Post
well said Tools.

Research is a living breathing moving and osmosing river of knowledge. Conventional wisdom changes constantly as new info is found.

-Jeff Hess

Hey Jeff, nice to see you here occasionally.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote