The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2019, 10:42 PM   #31
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
A few thoughts enter my mind...

Stupidity
Insanity
Overrated
Foolishness
FOMO
YOLO
Credit cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram and Tech Bros
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 11:22 PM   #32
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw View Post
A fool and his money......

Sorry if offence caused to the OP but people putting em in vaults is exactly the cause of the problem imo

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I actually feel sorry for those baby sitting their watches and never enjoy wearing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
belutak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 11:32 PM   #33
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post
I actually feel sorry for those baby sitting their watches and never enjoy wearing them.

Me too! Long time dead!
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 12:51 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Just a thought, but consider it's not the person who owns the watch who can determine what it's worth, but the person who wants to buy it.

Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. Right now a loaf of bread is worth a few dollars, but in the event of enough demand (global famine) it could be worth more than gold.
While this is what is happening, my point is that as I actually have this watch I can form a better true value of it, as opposed to those chasing it who are more after the idea of the Daytona, than the watch itself. Those who don't have it should listen to those who do, just to stay sane and keep some perspective.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 01:44 AM   #35
MinMay
Banned

Those who don’t want their Daytona sell me your Daytona for MSRP and move on. I’ll give you 5k above MSRP . I highly doubt ill be lucky in my lifetime.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 01:51 AM   #36
Apprentice.ph
"TRF" Member

I think it will continue until it gets discontinued

Apprentice.ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 02:21 AM   #37
Danny25
"TRF" Member

What a shame. I wish people just looking to be seen and those just looking to make easy money would find something else to focus on. I just want to have a nice watch!
Danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:16 AM   #38
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
At some point, someone will look down and say, I paid 30k for a watch that is illegible with a chronograph that is almost useless due to the same issue. Then the madness will end.

I mean from a value perspective the zenith el primero is like 6 grand, and a speedy pro can be had for under 4 grand, both infinitely more useful. Heck, the new navitimer reissue is a more interesting watch with more pedigree. But I digress, the Daytona in its current version is simply jewelry as most don’t care about the legibility issue and so may climb to even 50 grand.

Couldn’t agree more about the jewelry comment. I lost count of how many women wearing white dial daytonas here in Mykonos.

They could care less what time it is even if they could read the dial!!

They wear them cause they can and because it looks great on them. Price and time are irrelevant!

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:39 AM   #39
DingDing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Couldn’t agree more about the jewelry comment. I lost count of how many women wearing white dial daytonas here in Mykonos.

They could care less what time it is even if they could read the dial!!

They wear them cause they can and because it looks great on them. Price and time are irrelevant!

I need to tell this to my wife cause she is on the way to Mykonos : wear your AP honey, not the Daytona
DingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:41 AM   #40
Lucky Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
White Daytona’s approaching 30k

If it’s approaching £22500 and you bought it last year for £15000 would you
keep it
or sell it

Asking for a friend

Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:46 AM   #41
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMatter View Post
It's about as easy to read the time on a tona as a crazy hours, not worth it for me.
Exactly and it doesn't even have the date comp
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:50 AM   #42
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
What is with the Daytona’s approaching this price? I am seeing them now for 26-27K on the seller forums. Thoughts on this??

You see them for sale at $27k, doesn't mean they are selling at that price. Just saying.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 07:52 AM   #43
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Just a thought, but consider it's not the person who owns the watch who can determine what it's worth, but the person who wants to buy it.

Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. Right now a loaf of bread is worth a few dollars, but in the event of enough demand (global famine) it could be worth more than gold.
Bread is food and you die if no food. It is as simple as that.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:14 AM   #44
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Just be glad John Mayer didn't say anything about that version...
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:16 AM   #45
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea I am glad John was not smart enough to know about the cream 116520....they would have doubled overnight....he’s an amateur with a lot of coin that’s it
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:33 AM   #46
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Just be glad John Mayer didn't say anything about that version...
Actually he did. In May 2016 he said it was going to 30k and it looks like he's going to be right...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/be...he-new-daytona

"BC:Someone told me there is a guy on a forum offering one at $22,000 right now, but I actually think the number will increase with time. Right now, there are so few watches out there, and those that have them seem to be very serious collectors, the types that don't really look to flip no matter what, so the opportunity to buy above retail isn't real yet. Once more watches hit – the second and third waves – and the watches get into the hands of other people, I fully expect to see them offered at CRAZY prices.

JM:I think it's $30K. You kinda can't put a price on owning this watch – it's such a visceral thing. I think people will pay $30,000 for the bragging rights! And social media plays a big part in the story of this watch. Hell you and I were talking about how we'd get this watch up – we're as guilty as anybody."
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:51 AM   #47
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
If it’s approaching £22500 and you bought it last year for £15000 would you
keep it
or sell it

Asking for a friend

Nope, I paid retail and wouldn’t sell for $30k. I purchased the watch to wear and secondary values have really no meaning.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 08:54 AM   #48
CarrJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
Anyone that pays more for a SS Daytona than a white gold one is mad.
100% agree.
CarrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 09:01 AM   #49
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Rolex should just raise their prices to meet the market, kill the grey market in the process, and stop the madness.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 09:19 AM   #50
MinMay
Banned

White Daytona’s approaching 30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrJ View Post
100% agree.

I bet if you are able to get it at MSRP you’ll sell it for 30k. You call other people mad but yet you would do the same hahaha. Nice.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 09:57 AM   #51
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
My Rose Gold on bracelet cost less lol
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:18 AM   #52
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Good thing I prefer black dial
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:28 AM   #53
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
What I am curious about, are the gray guys getting enough demand at 22-24K to justify raising the prices to 27K? I just can’t believe people are willing to pay 22K for it and not try to negotiate down some for it. I am sure the gray dealers have to read these posts. You know someone is laughing and calling us suckers for willing to consider paying these prices on them........But, I guess if you are gonna raise the price for it, there must be that good of a demand for it....... I’m glad I got mine last year from my AD at MSRP. I simply could not afford one from a gray.....

lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:37 AM   #54
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I am curious about, are the gray guys getting enough demand at 22-24K to justify raising the prices to 27K? I just can’t believe people are willing to pay 22K for it and not try to negotiate down some for it. I am sure the gray dealers have to read these posts. You know someone is laughing and calling us suckers for willing to consider paying these prices on them........But, I guess if you are gonna raise the price for it, there must be that good of a demand for it....... I’m glad I got mine last year from my AD at MSRP. I simply could not afford one from a gray.....

Gray’s cost is nowhere near msrp. They are merely a conduit to get the watch to people who want one right away. The demand is there, but I think there is a lot of supply too.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:38 AM   #55
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:

I can let you know my recent experience buying a black dial. Prices on C24 were between 22-26k usd unworn box + papers. I wrote a message offering 22k firm on all the 23k or more watches and, made a straight offer on the one at 22k. The 22k dealer never responded, while the watch is still displayed for sale and, I guess its just click bait. 8 others replied rejecting my offer. One replied saying ok, but the next day said it was sold. About a week later, one who had rejected from the 8 wrote a message asking if I was still interested. I said yes, but at 22k. I bought the watch...
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:44 AM   #56
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Good thing I prefer black dial

They are not far behind the white. According to my AD, they have seen less black than white in the past 16 months. I am not on their list for either, so I don’t see why they would lie.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:45 AM   #57
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I can let you know my recent experience buying a black dial. Prices on C24 were between 22-26k usd unworn box + papers. I wrote a message offering 22k firm on all the 23k or more watches and, made a straight offer on the one at 22k. The 22k dealer never responded, while the watch is still displayed for sale and, I guess its just click bait. 8 others replied rejecting my offer. One replied saying ok, but the next day said it was sold. About a week later, one who had rejected from the 8 wrote a message asking if I was still interested. I said yes, but at 22k. I bought the watch...

Wow, well I hope you enjoy it. still 22k is a lot but I get it, if you want something bad enough and have the cash...go for it.... I just think that anything over 25K is crazy. Glad you got it for what you felt was fair to you....

lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:48 AM   #58
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstuf001 View Post
Way too many people with more money than sense in this "look at me" world we live in now, so expect this trend to continue.
Narcissism is alive and well in the world of Rolex...oh...damn... gotta go boys. Just got a call from my AD while typing this reply that my new Batman and white Daytona arrived today...I'll post pics later 'cause I know none of you have a clue what they look like.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 10:56 AM   #59
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Absurd prices !!!!!!!!!!
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #60
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I got crap for paying 15k last year lol
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote