The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 July 2020, 12:51 AM   #1
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Pre-owned market.

Had an interesting chat with a watch dealer the other day. He said they weren’t getting any new stock due to the lockdown so if there’s something you like snap it up now before it’s too late.

I’m a little sceptical about this but curious what others think?

My gut says give it six months and maybe the prices will have fallen enough to make the wait worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #2
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Had an interesting chat with a watch dealer the other day. He said they weren’t getting any new stock due to the lockdown so if there’s something you like snap it up now before it’s too late.

I’m a little sceptical about this but curious what others think?

My gut says give it six months and maybe the prices will have fallen enough to make the wait worthwhile.

Was this specifically a pre-owned dealer or an AD that also deals in pre-owned watches? Did he provide any details such as nobody is darkening his door wanting to sell their watches?

I would think that most people who sell a watch to a preowned dealer are trying to raise cash to meet obligations or have their eye on acquiring a different watch. We do seem to be in a weird limbo right now where the economy has certainly taken a shot but unlike the '08-'09 recession most people don't seem to be desperate to raise capital. New watch stock may also be iffy depending on if stores in their location have been able to reopen and if the factory for their brand can supply. I can definitely see a slow down in the velocity of watches changing hands, which seems to me is what makes the pre-owned market go.
Old 6 July 2020, 01:15 AM   #3
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Thanks, that’s an interesting take. Yes this was a specific pre-owned dealer. I guess time will tell. Personally I think things will carry on much as they were before, give or take a bit.

Old 6 July 2020, 01:16 AM   #4
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
The two ADs I visited have received at least a shipment now since Rolex SA has reopened. I can only presume you're referring to the pre-owned market. Unless consumers are turning over their watches, I'm not sure we'll see much of a change in a given time frame (e.g. 6 months). Rolex isn't going to increase their current given rate of supply based on the previous closure, so I don't think playing the waiting game will do much good unless you're looking at an allocation and are in the good graces of an AD.
Old 6 July 2020, 01:17 AM   #5
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
It sounds exactly what someone who sells watches would say. "Buy something now"
Old 6 July 2020, 01:22 AM   #6
RWH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
It sounds exactly what someone who sells watches would say. "Buy something now"
Old 6 July 2020, 01:35 AM   #7
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I’m surprised he didn’t say “you had better buy 2 or 3 right now just to be safe”
Old 6 July 2020, 01:43 AM   #8
David007Kim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
GO GREY!!!,...there’s a WorldWide Shortage on Hot SS Professional Models and ONLY UNLESS you spend $100k at an AD, you WILL NEVER have a chance to even be considered to be offered a Hot SS Professional Model. YouTube and Instagram has made the WatchWorld very different and people are in fact INVESTING in Rolex Watches. My 2 Local Grey Dealers can’t even keep with demand!((No SS Daytona or SkyDweller even at their level, that ought to tell you something!,...prices are in the rise and if you don’t buy what you like now, you NEVER will probably end up with what you really want!?!?)). Rolex is trying to make their Brand a little more exclusive, the proof is in supply and “Grey Market Pricing” from the last 4 to 5 years!!!
Old 6 July 2020, 01:48 AM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by David007Kim View Post
GO GREY!!!,...there’s a WorldWide Shortage on Hot SS Professional Models and ONLY UNLESS you spend $100k at an AD, you WILL NEVER have a chance to even be considered to be offered a Hot SS Professional Model. YouTube and Instagram has made the WatchWorld very different and people are in fact INVESTING in Rolex Watches. My 2 Local Grey Dealers can’t even keep with demand!((No SS Daytona or SkyDweller even at their level, that ought to tell you something!,...prices are in the rise and if you don’t buy what you like now, you NEVER will probably end up with what you really want!?!?)). Rolex is trying to make their Brand a little more exclusive, the proof is in supply and “Grey Market Pricing” from the last 4 to 5 years!!!
True,pre owned dealer had a pepsi in last week ,sent a few massages to clients .15 min later .... gone !! If I bought a grey Pepsi in the begiining of the year ,would have been worth more now .
Still waiting for a pepsi since 2018 ,like MANY others here.
Closed Thread