The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 July 2018, 09:09 PM   #31
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me it is a cost value equation. The watch is expensive new, beyond what I believe the value is. Even with a nice discount you are still going to take a hit upon resale and if you buy used the value piece is still not there. A beautiful watch though and if I liked it enough to keep then maybe. Also, I have heard of long waits on service. A no go for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 01:40 PM   #32
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
I recently bought an AP Royal Oak after taking a good look at the basic VC Overseas. The Royal Oak ended up being 3k cheaper at retail. If they were equally priced I think both are great and would probably have gone instead for the blue VC. It is a gorgeous watch in person and on the wrist. AP also have a 5 year warranty over 2 years for the VC. I guess my opinion is the VC is 15% overpriced retail.

However in the future if I were to consider an AP Royal Oak Chronograph I think I may go for the Overseas Chronograph in blue instead.
whiterabbit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 01:45 AM   #33
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

I like the 2nd and 3rd generations. I'm not in love the sizes but still they're very nice pieces, to me, the biggest problem is that Royal Oak and Nautilus are better designed and have a much better history and connection to that history.

In a world with the RO or 5711 the Overseas would be much more loved.
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 09:36 PM   #34
lt114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Because they didn't stamp the cross on the lug
Exactly. I have a second generation and I enjoy it. The value is very reasonable on the preowned market.
lt114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:02 AM   #35
mominayal
"TRF" Member

Not sure why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mominayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:07 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

UK retail is down from £27.1k to £25.3k... so its looking better price wise. At that price plus the strap change system, and included 2 straps + bracelet, and the inhouse movement, and the micro adjustment feature on the bracelet, IMO its a better watch and more worth the price than a ROC at £20.5K with a non inhouse movement.

Its £5k more watch in comparison, but obviously both are very expensive so im not taking overall value just comparative value. Resale aside,Its a better watch to me.

Personally i cant wait to try on the black dial w/ white subdials. The blue dial with the white date window simply doesnt work for me but the panda dial hopefully tones down the date window.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:20 PM   #37
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

The second generation Overseas chronograph with dive watch-like water resistance, big date at 12:00, quirky oversized chronograph minute counter and extremely good legibility is one of the deep discount bargains of the luxury watch market. It contains a reliable, time tested Blancpain integrated movement. The case is distinctively designed and won't be confused with any other watch.
The reason it doesn't get a lot of love is that, like most other chronographs, it isn't a Daytona.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 06:07 PM   #38
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

If anyone has seen the blue chrono 3rd (current) gen and doesn't think it's pretty, I would like to know why. Once I saw it I made up my mind to get one and was able to a mint one at a very reasonable price. Paying $30k brand new is definitely hard to justify. But the chrono is the best sport chrono across all prestigious brands in my opinion. If you argue that the Daytona is better I would say they are different classes and the best of their own.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 07:06 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
If anyone has seen the blue chrono 3rd (current) gen and doesn't think it's pretty, I would like to know why. Once I saw it I made up my mind to get one and was able to a mint one at a very reasonable price. Paying $30k brand new is definitely hard to justify. But the chrono is the best sport chrono across all prestigious brands in my opinion. If you argue that the Daytona is better I would say they are different classes and the best of their own.
as far as a sports chrono across the haute horlogerie brands i would tend to agree. Everything i have seen about it indicates its a more robust movement than what is typically found. Its thicker (both the movement and then the case) so thats the drawback, but i really like the sportiness that a thicker watch brings.

Its also completely in house so im not counting the movements AP uses. The ROC movement is probably better than the ROO movement but neither are in house... the ROC not at all and the ROO being a module that isnt AP.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:52 AM   #40
Marcus SE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The second generation Overseas chronograph with dive watch-like water resistance, big date at 12:00, quirky oversized chronograph minute counter and extremely good legibility is one of the deep discount bargains of the luxury watch market. It contains a reliable, time tested Blancpain integrated movement. The case is distinctively designed and won't be confused with any other watch.
The reason it doesn't get a lot of love is that, like most other chronographs, it isn't a Daytona.
True beauty indeed
Marcus SE is offline   Reply With Quote