The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2018, 10:22 PM   #511
dmash
"TRF" Member

Lol at this thread from page 1 until now, with that massive spike in December.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:24 PM   #512
micheal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
There are many many people who think crypto currencies replace physical cash and its limited to monetary exchanges.

If you REALLY understand the uses of crypto this could be a world changing point in time that re-defines how ALL transactions/verifications are done not only in the banking/finance industries but ALL industries.

Already big companies on board ranging from Utility companies, to banks to IT/Technology firms all testing and putting vast amounts into crypto and ledger technologies.

I personally love IOTA because I'm a network architect and deal with Telco/IT systems daily. I can see a plethora of ways crypto's can be implemented in everyday scenarios in the IT field.
I don't think so it is possible that cryptocurrencies replace physical cash. Cryptocurrency is very trending yet, but digital currency never takes place as physical currency. "I agree with you".
Old 14 May 2018, 08:51 PM   #513
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
I’ve been surprised at the lack of posts in this thread over the last few weeks. Market drop shake anyone out?
It's less exciting at the moment, obviously, but the drop was a healthy adjustment. Also, a good opportunity to fill the bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
About four years ago I went for certifications in agile software development. The instructor was great but I kept thinking what a brutal job - flying from city to city teaching the same material over-and-over again and what likely didn't pay a ton either. Anyway, I ran across an article where he recently purchased a Lamborghini with bitcoin. I was sure it 'wasn't' the same guy but it was. Apparently, he purchased thousands of coins for $2.12 cents. And when it hit $20k, cashed out. He's now a multi-millionaire enjoying life at 30. This story isn't to inspire investing in bitcoin now, it's really to help others realize, that type of opportunity is long gone.
Yup, the "life-changing" opportunity period is gone for good. No more such gains for the common man.
Still, I think we're still going to have more bull runs and the market will bring nice profits, not "life-changing" but beating the return rates of other investments (deposits, stocks, etc). If you choose wisely and are careful.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:17 PM   #514
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
It's less exciting at the moment, obviously, but the drop was a healthy adjustment. Also, a good opportunity to fill the bags.

Yup, the "life-changing" opportunity period is gone for good. No more such gains for the common man.
Still, I think we're still going to have more bull runs and the market will bring nice profits, not "life-changing" but beating the return rates of other investments (deposits, stocks, etc). If you choose wisely and are careful.
Simply buying bitcoin and holding isn't going to make you a fortune, no (although I do see it as making you money on a long term hold, we're not going to hold at sub 10k forever).

If you play alts right, with the goal of solely increasing your bitcoin holdings though....there's a LOT of money yet to be made.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:18 AM   #515
smak
Banned

dont "play" anything unless you are an incredibly confident trader seasoned in forex and have your finger on the pulse of tech and crypto in general.

you will get swallowed whole.

buying and holding is the only strategy for 95% of the casual participants visiting this thread.. and thats strictly for Bitcoin and the proven alts which I would prefer not to name but there are only 4-5 really worth considering.

for those curious of these recent bitcoin dips and interested in learning..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/82uspm/meet_the_man_who_crashed_bitcoin_in_2018/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/8ihiv6/mt_gox_moved_8200_bitcoins_from_their_cold_wallet/

reddit has a terrible signal to noise ratio, many promote their agendas and fud but for the most part its possible to sift through and find what you need.

blockchain whisperers are becoming a valuable comodity.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:23 AM   #516
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
dont "play" anything unless you are an incredibly confident trader seasoned in forex and have your finger on the pulse of tech and crypto in general.

you will get swallowed whole.

buying and holding is the only strategy for 95% of the casual participants visiting this thread.. and thats strictly for Bitcoin and the proven alts which I would prefer not to name but there are only 4-5 really worth considering.

for those curious of these recent bitcoin dips and interested in learning..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...tcoin_in_2018/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurre...r_cold_wallet/

reddit has a terrible signal to noise ratio, many promote their agendas and fud but for the most part its possible to sift through and find what you need.

blockchain whisperers are becoming a valuable comodity.
Oh I agree, probably more along the lines of 99% who visit this thread, especially after reading how this thread started out.

I’m simply stating it’s not completely true, that there’s not a lot of money to be made. There is. If you have the ability/experience to trade alts (the majority of which aren’t going to last), it builds up....fast. All these shit ICOs getting bought up by newcomers hoping for that next bitcoin millionaire status, you can 10% up consistently when they hit exchanges, if you invest the time and buy properly.

I will say, Crypto is a completely different ballgame than other things. It’s nothing like daytrading stocks. I think it’s partially influenced by the fact there’s a ton of 16-20 year olds trading crypto, it wasn’t really the case for stocks, at any point. Their thinking is completely different and that’s part of why it’s so volatile.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:44 AM   #517
smak
Banned

you may not end up the greater fool, and netting yourself gains from the slew of ico's being pushed.. but ultimately you would be contributing to a negative movement and I personally don't care to be making money from something I dont believe in.

opportunities vs opportunism
Old 15 May 2018, 12:49 AM   #518
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you may not end up the greater fool, and netting yourself gains from the slew of ico's being pushed.. but ultimately you would be contributing to a negative movement and I personally don't care to be making money from something I dont believe in.

opportunities vs opportunism
To each his own, however these are going to exist for some time, it’s part of the crypto landscape now. I truly don’t see myself being part of any problem if I make a trade or two in a certain coin/token during that period. If I’m trading a mere $5k, it’s not like im dropping a 10bitcoin wall. I’m not really manipulating nor influencing anything.

Also, I honestly disagree with you that there’s only 4-5 alts worth looking into. We may *end up* with 4-5 main players aside from Bitcoin, however, there’s many more than that which have the potential to be included in that 4-5 number. Too many options and much too early in the game to definitively claim who a front runner may be. Many have roadmaps until 2020-2021, I wouldn’t simply disregard them because they’re yet to be ‘proven’.
Old 15 May 2018, 02:02 AM   #519
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
@smak and @dmash

I didn’t want to quote all of the above. I agree completely that trading is not right for most, including myself. I also avoid ICO’s. All hype and no product. Long-term positions in a few key coins will likely outperform other asset classes over the next 2-5 years. But you have be extremely selective. It seems we all agree only a handful will survive.

I think bitcoin will be generating more interest later this year, and we make this point in our summary of last week’s announcements from Wall Street.

https://thecryptocurrencyforums.com/...wards-bitcoin/
Old 14 August 2018, 09:39 PM   #520
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
looks like ETH pumped the market through altcoin ICOs and now that ETH is unprofitable to mine everything is imploding.

glad i sold out long ago. if things revert hard ill consider bitcoin at 1-2k. otherwise i will let google, microsoft and facebook figure out how to monetize crypto.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 14 August 2018, 10:00 PM   #521
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Apparently BC continued to generate interest over the past few months since May - all shorts methinks. Dropping abt. 50% along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 22 August 2018, 02:22 PM   #522
Filmprolv.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014,2531.80
What about some of the others like XRP etc. sitting at 30-40c, wouldn’t it be possible for those to see the gains like the others have over the next 5-10years or is this essentially a penny stock?
Old 22 August 2018, 06:59 PM   #523
rolexbrand
Banned

Cryptocurrency is really good
Old 22 August 2018, 11:18 PM   #524
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexbrand View Post
Cryptocurrency is really good

Long term believer...Like any market you need a longer view.

I was actually against it 100% from the start. Saw it at 2 bucks..called it a scam because I didn't take time to realize what was going on. its a really life changing protocol for us.

Still lol @ whoever creating it not even skimming a few grand (even though they are worth billions). The story here is too perfect.
Old 23 August 2018, 07:49 AM   #525
smak
Banned

canadian company I worked for totally hosed me on my contract and I was the only one that had a clue tech wise within the company which could apply it to large scale solutions.

the industry is infested with snake oil salesmen that will take your money and run, or kick the can down the road until consequences ever happen to catch up.

that being said, if you are informed and willing to experiment with the risk of securing your own bitcoin.. i'm completely bullish on crypto for the competant investor.

not xrp though, heh.. ripple is still a total scam.

there is an etf approaching decision on approval or not.. people seem to be spreading a lot of fud that its sure to be rejected.

if thats the case I would say a prime opportunity to buy in is approaching, with halvening in less than two years and an already slippery slope ridden down to $6000 usd.. I think the basement is near on this one.
Old 23 August 2018, 07:54 AM   #526
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
canadian company I worked for totally hosed me on my contract and I was the only one that had a clue tech wise within the company which could apply it to large scale solutions.

the industry is infested with snake oil salesmen that will take your money and run, or kick the can down the road until consequences ever happen to catch up.

that being said, if you are informed and willing to experiment with the risk of securing your own bitcoin.. i'm completely bullish on crypto for the competant investor.

there is an etf approaching decision on approval or not.. people seem to be spreading a lot of fud that its sure to be rejected.

if thats the case I would say a prime opportunity to buy in is approaching, with halvening in less than two years and an already slippery slope ridden down to $6000 usd.. I think the basement is near on this one.
van eck moved out of gold to make this move.

i still think can gets kicked to 2019. meaning it all goes lower for now.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 23 August 2018, 10:48 PM   #527
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

with this market you need to brace for 60-90% corrections from highs...but also be able to hold through 10,000%++ gains.

I'm bullish on ethereum due to the sheer amount of devs.smart minds trying to solve this problem.

Is it 100% lock everything will succeed? no..but if they solve scaling etc you are looking at a 100-1000X return

well worth price of admission to sit back and watch this all unfold.
Old 24 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #528
TC94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post
with this market you need to brace for 60-90% corrections from highs...but also be able to hold through 10,000%++ gains.

I'm bullish on ethereum due to the sheer amount of devs.smart minds trying to solve this problem.

Is it 100% lock everything will succeed? no..but if they solve scaling etc you are looking at a 100-1000X return

well worth price of admission to sit back and watch this all unfold.
I remain solidly invested for the long-term, with the caveats I’ve previously mentioned that most crypto is junk. There are only a few that will exist in 3 yrs for anything other than trading on an exchange.

But those few will be fun to watch. The tech is fun to watch.

TRF isn’t the place to discuss crypto. Too many people want to pounce on every price drop and do the “I told you scam” routine.

Then again a large number of coins are scams, as we discussed here https://thecryptocurrencyforums.com/...-million.2459/
Old 24 August 2018, 05:01 AM   #529
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remain solidly invested for the long-term, with the caveats I’ve previously mentioned that most crypto is junk. There are only a few that will exist in 3 yrs for anything other than trading on an exchange.

But those few will be fun to watch. The tech is fun to watch.

TRF isn’t the place to discuss crypto. Too many people want to pounce on every price drop and do the “I told you scam” routine.

Then again a large number of coins are scams, as we discussed here https://thecryptocurrencyforums.com/...-million.2459/
yup. But probably due to age (no offense). As I mentioned I said it was a scam multiple times until I sat down and actually educated myself on what this stuff is. It will take education.

I admit risk and put my $ in those I think have the best shot.

1) Bitcoin (obvious)
2) Ethereum (high developer base, nearly everything built on it)
3) Stellar (IBM partnership and zero hype).
4)Zcash (Mind blowing tech, used by Quorum JP Morgan).

Will be interesting...placed my bets with a 3-5 year time horizon. GL
Old 24 August 2018, 09:43 AM   #530
TC94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yup. But probably due to age (no offense). As I mentioned I said it was a scam multiple times until I sat down and actually educated myself on what this stuff is. It will take education.

I admit risk and put my $ in those I think have the best shot.

1) Bitcoin (obvious)
2) Ethereum (high developer base, nearly everything built on it)
3) Stellar (IBM partnership and zero hype).
4)Zcash (Mind blowing tech, used by Quorum JP Morgan).

Will be interesting...placed my bets with a 3-5 year time horizon. GL
The lack of regulations, the large number of outright scams, and crypto’s refusal to police itself all contribute to its poor reception from traditional investors. So many ICOs were pure money grabs. So much money lost to hacks and scams.

There will eventually be a globally adopted digital currency. There will eventually be a standard platform for apps and smart contracts like escrow, games, and banking. Tokens for verifying authenticity to fight fakes and replicas and supply chain tracking might be of interest to Rolex and other luxury goods companies and buyers.

But a lot of current “coins” are junk. The next phase is where the good stuff gets developed.
Old 24 August 2018, 11:06 PM   #531
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There will eventually be a globally adopted digital currency. There will eventually be a standard platform for apps and smart contracts like escrow, games, and banking. Tokens for verifying authenticity to fight fakes and replicas and supply chain tracking might be of interest to Rolex and other luxury goods companies and buyers.

exactly. once you sit down and go through what this can automate/streamline the runway is huge.
Old 25 August 2018, 06:19 AM   #532
smak
Banned

i would be extremely weary of visiting new forums and bitcoin news related sites with all the potential for malicious scripts and viruses out there.

the defacto site to collect info on bitcoin is bitcointalk.org

in general I dont stray from there for crypto unless its the dev teams endorsed forum for general discussion like forum.ethereum.org or forum.z.cash

tread lightly out there, but dont be afraid to prosper.

also dont keep your bitcoin wallet on your main pc or laptop. recipe for disaster.
Old 25 August 2018, 06:17 PM   #533
TC94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i would be extremely weary of visiting new forums and bitcoin news related sites with all the potential for malicious scripts and viruses out there.

in general I dont stray from there for crypto unless its the dev teams endorsed forum for general discussion like forum.ethereum.org or forum.z.cash

also dont keep your bitcoin wallet on your main pc or laptop. recipe for disaster.
Wary is an understatement. Paranoid fits better.

While is suspect you aren’t necessarily cautioning about our site, we set it up specifically because of all the other sites with malware, background mining, viruses, scam links and pure BS. I’ll assure we’re malware free running on a high speed US host (SproutBox) with site coded and designed by a large well-known US web design company (ThemeHouse, Audentio.) Links in the articles have been curated and tested. Links in the forums HAVE NOT been though, so I don’t recommend following any.

And as far as bitcointalk, I can barely tolerate the one huge altcoin section with page after page of low value threads scrolling endlessly and saying nothing. I understand they don’t want moderation/censorship in crypto, but some topic categorization structure would go a long way towards cleaning up the readability there.

I prefer using Reddit and its mobile app for crypto reading, along with Coindesk, CoinTelegraph and CCN.
Old 27 August 2018, 11:37 AM   #534
TC94
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Wary is an understatement. Paranoid fits better.

I prefer using Reddit and its mobile app for crypto reading, along with Coindesk, CoinTelegraph and CCN.
Calling myself out here. My wife was reading over my shoulder and asked why I was “calling somebody paranoid on the internet.” I wasn’t. At all.

I meant that people should be paranoid, and not just wary, when it comes to crypto. Many are out to get your money. High number of hacks and scams.

Apologies if you thought I meant you were paranoid. Sincerely didn’t mean it that way, and I agree with my wife that it could be read that way. Happy investing.
Old 7 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #535
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Haven’t heard much here about cryptocurrency lately. It seems they haven’t recovered much even as the market declines precipitously. (it will recover when trade deals happen).
Here’s one view on it.

Opinion: Bitcoin is close to becoming worthless

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bi...ess-2018-12-03
Old 7 December 2018, 01:08 AM   #536
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
(it will recover when trade deals happen).
Why?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #537
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haven’t heard much here about cryptocurrency lately. It seems they haven’t recovered much even as the market declines precipitously. (it will recover when trade deals happen).
Here’s one view on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why?

hang on and buy through...obviously only allocate a small % of your portfolio but bear markets/depressions= where you make the most money.

Same with equities. we need deep bear markets to make loads of profits on the recovery.

CRYPTO: market is killing off garbage products. Top 4 coins will probably make it or fight for the top. Good luck
Old 7 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #538
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Here’s one view on it.

People overestimate the importance of miners. They *serve* the network; their control is often overstated by journalists trying to make a clickbait talking point. If all the miners dropped off the face of the earth, the mining difficulty would simply drop and consumer-grade mining would be viable again. Yes, the gap of time until the difficulty drops would be painful, but btc has overcome hashpower drops before.

Bitcoin may indeed continue to plummet, but not to 0, and not because of miners. I defended bitcoin on this forum when it dropped from 1200 to 200 and stayed there for years, and I'm still bullish long-term now. It would probably be good for bitcoin to stay at a stable price for a few years (even if it's 3k, 2k, whatever) so it can be used as a currency again, allowing a more extensive/useful ecosystem to form around actual use.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
Old 7 December 2018, 01:36 AM   #539
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
People overestimate the importance of miners. They *serve* the network; their control is often overstated by journalists trying to make a clickbait talking point. If all the miners dropped off the face of the earth, the mining difficulty would simply drop and consumer-grade mining would be viable again. Yes, the gap of time until the difficulty drops would be painful, but btc has overcome hashpower drops before.

Bitcoin may indeed continue to plummet, but not to 0, and not because of miners. I defended bitcoin on this forum when it dropped from 1200 to 200 and stayed there for years, and I'm still bullish long-term now. It would probably be good for bitcoin to stay at a stable price for a few years (even if it's 3k, 2k, whatever) so it can be used as a currency again, allowing a more extensive/useful ecosystem to form around actual use.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

Mining IMO is the biggest crutch. Protocols like Stellar Consensus and even RIPPLE) though they choose the nodes make more sense.

I hate mining because it can be centralized and doesn't seem that efficient although the network is very secure.

although still BTC has most liquidity,
Old 7 December 2018, 01:43 AM   #540
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
they choose the nodes

I hate mining because it can be centralized
You're cool with Ripple being *literally* centralized, but dislike mining because theoretically it can sorta centralize?
Closed Thread