The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Bradmac1
"TRF" Member

Vintage 5512 Service Question

I haveowned a 5512 Submariner for twenty years. Watch has been incredible. Finally decided to send it back to Rolex for service. Serial number is 150xxx which I believe is a 1967 model. I wear watch often and it does show signs of use. AD called Friday with Rolex service recommendations. They recommend servicing face, hands, crown, as well as clasp, bracelet and internals. Watch is original. Bracelet is 93150 which I believe is a correct replacement. My preference is to service internals, polish crystal and bracelet and leave all the functioning vintage original hands, bezel, and face untouched. My questions are will Rolex accomadate my wishes, and if not should I still have it serviced. It has been at least twenty years since last service. It still keeps great time although I don't know if it is within Rolex specs.
Bradmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 10:07 AM   #2
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green OP 34 114200
Do not send it to Rolex. They do not accommodate vintage owners and will destroy it and all of its value. They will overcharge you for the privilege of turning your $20,000 watch into a $5000 watch. However if it's been twenty years I would definitely service it. The gaskets are probably all turning to gunk and I'm sure the movement needs a good cleaning. I would send it to one of the well known vintage rolex experts recommended on this forum. LA Watchworks and Watchmakers International are probably the two with the best and most trusted reputations. I have not used either personally but there are plenty of happy customers all over the forum who I'm sure will chime in. As I understand it, if the case needs to be recut or expertly polished, most people would recommend LAWW. If you're only looking to service the movement, change out your gaskets and replace the crystal, maybe contact the Ridley's from WI. If parts need to be exchanged, both of these watchmakers will source original and correct parts, which is important for value. They can get your watch back in beautiful condition without destroying it's charm. Good luck and hopefully we'll get to see some before and after pics!
AndrewMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Bradmac1
"TRF" Member

AndrewMayhem, thanks for solid advice. You really caught my attention about paying full retail plus to have a 20,000 watch reduced to 5,000. My plan is to give them the go ahead only if they will service it the way I want. I only want internals lubed and cleaned, new gaskets, crystal polished and bracelet cleaned and polished. Don't have enough experience with Rolex to know if they will do that. I don't want the patina touched, and if they insist on doing more than I want, I will have it sent back and use one of the companies you recommended. Thanks for responding. Will post pics when I get it back.
Old 13 August 2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmac1 View Post
AndrewMayhem, thanks for solid advice. You really caught my attention about paying full retail plus to have a 20,000 watch reduced to 5,000. My plan is to give them the go ahead only if they will service it the way I want. I only want internals lubed and cleaned, new gaskets, crystal polished and bracelet cleaned and polished. Don't have enough experience with Rolex to know if they will do that. I don't want the patina touched, and if they insist on doing more than I want, I will have it sent back and use one of the companies you recommended. Thanks for responding. Will post pics when I get it back.

Yes. In my experience Rolex will do only the servicing you ask for. The days of RSC insisting that you do everything or nothing seem to be gone, thankfully. You should also request that they not polish it. Unless the crystal is original, I’d swap it out for a new one. Pretty cheap to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Bradmac1
"TRF" Member

Crystal appears to be original. It does have some scratches. I'm thinking it makes more sense to polish out scratches and keep original, but I'm willing to learn, if I'm mistaken.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:57 PM   #6
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

If I were you I'd take it back from RSC and send it to one of the many reputable independent watchmakers discussed on this forum.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 09:33 PM   #7
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green OP 34 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
If I were you I'd take it back from RSC and send it to one of the many reputable independent watchmakers discussed on this forum.
100%. Not worth the risk. Take your time and find the right watchmaker. Rolex isn’t going to source vintage parts for you if need be. Im sure it’s easier to just leave it with the AD, but if it were me there’s no chance I’d trust Rolex with my beautiful vintage sub.
AndrewMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 09:38 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In a word, RIK
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:35 AM   #9
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

Rik Dietel did a fantastic job on my 1965 5513. Unfortunately mine needed to have the dial refinished, which required sending that part to a refinsher Rik uses in London. Not cheap or quick, but the guy does impeccable work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8BE1681-74C6-4181-AA8F-D7CAC6E9D577.jpeg (72.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpeg BDE6F277-D3F5-43CD-8547-6E16EB251320.jpeg (88.7 KB, 113 views)
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:36 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMiami View Post
Rik Dietel did a fantastic job on my 1965 5513. Unfortunately mine needed to have the dial refinished, which required sending that part to a refinsher Rik uses in London. Not cheap or quick, but the guy does impeccable work.
That’s stunning Paul, worth every penny
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:14 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmac1 View Post
Crystal appears to be original. It does have some scratches. I'm thinking it makes more sense to polish out scratches and keep original, but I'm willing to learn, if I'm mistaken.
I 100% advice against this, the plexiglass will get brittle over the years after exposure to UV light, if you want your guaranteed water resistance you will have to get it replaced.
There is no crystal gasket in these old models, the crystal is the seal.

For the rest, no polish, gaskets and just a movement service if you want to retain its value.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:37 AM   #12
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMiami View Post
WOW! Do you have before photos?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote