The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 August 2018, 11:23 AM   #1
watchart
"TRF" Member

Your take on -Dial swapping-?

Hey TRF,

What's your opinion on vintages that had their dials swapped? On many articles, writer's mention that most of the time dials make or brake the watch, but I've always considered this practice of dial-swapping something out of NYC's diamond district where they have boxes full of dials, like watch butchers.

On the other hand, if you were to find an rare reference, but noticed that the non watch people owners intended to have the dial restored, would you grab it for a good deal and then have to deal with getting a nice dial with matching patina?

Just wondering on what are your thoughts.

Regards.
watchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 11:58 AM   #2
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
I hate to say it but IT DEPENDS. A vintage Submariner that should have a gilt dial but was swapped with a matte service dial? NO WAY. A Datejust that may have had a silver dial but was swapped with a linen dial? Not a big deal (and nearly impossible to know what was truly original to the watch). So it really depends on the model, dial, era, etc. But in general, probably not a good thing.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:06 PM   #3
watchart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
I hate to say it but IT DEPENDS. A vintage Submariner that should have a gilt dial but was swapped with a matte service dial? NO WAY. A Datejust that may have had a silver dial but was swapped with a linen dial? Not a big deal (and nearly impossible to know what was truly original to the watch). So it really depends on the model, dial, era, etc. But in general, probably not a good thing.
I totally agree regarding service dials and the less significance of a regular DJ. But imagine seeing an early 5512 with a horrible relume job... Ugh.
watchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 02:58 PM   #4
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

I think it's ok to switch as long as the swap is era-accurate. Like swapping a GMT Long-E for another Long-E in better condition, for example.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:39 AM   #5
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
I think it's ok to switch as long as the swap is era-accurate. Like swapping a GMT Long-E for another Long-E in better condition, for example.
I agree with this,No harm.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:02 PM   #6
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
I think it also depends on whether or not the dial in the watch you get is even the original one.

Many 16800's and 16750's had matte dials swapped to WG dials during servicing. Swapping it back to its original Matte dial brings it back to its catalog state. That being said finding original, non-damaged matte dials is a bit of a tricky one.

Also there is a big difference between swapping genuine original dials vs. refinishing / reluming dials.

And as always things need to be era / model correct