The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 August 2022, 12:22 PM   #31
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
@springer

I think this is the first time I lay my eyes on an untouched 5513.

From this moment forth I am ashamed of showing off mine.
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 02:31 PM   #32
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Can we see the 1990 for comparison JP?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 06:08 PM   #33
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
You need to find a dealer with all the watches and then try them is my advice:
My observations....
5513 wg wears flat and it's highlight is its domed plexi and low c.o gravity/lightness on wrist.
16660 wears higher on wrist and a bit narrower on wrist too (dial is slightly narrower than say a 16610 sub to get all the gubbins, glass etc needed for high depth rating).... it's also slightly heavier than a 16610/14060 and quite a bit more than a 5513 sub.

Ps If you are bit hard-wired lazy like me (e.g. utter jubilation at finding a car that I thought was emptyish, has a half tank of fuel, so I don't have to drudge off to the gas station)...a no date watch is perfect.... as less preparation time to strap on if it's been off wrist for a bit :-)

Good luck
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:23 PM   #34
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
Can we see the 1990 for comparison JP?
Compare what? I don't understand your post.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:38 PM   #35
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by morknmindy View Post
If this is not the correct sub for the below, then I thank you in advance for your patience; I am new here and seeking advice.

Although I am a bit distraught that my birth year is now considered “vintage,” I recognize the fact that I am not yet at a place in life to justify acquiring true grail vintage pieces (e.g., 5512, 6263, late ‘60s GMT, etc.). This leaves me contemplating what I want as an entry level (i.e., my first Rolex) collection piece that I would enjoy until my demise. In my opinion, getting my feet wet with a “birth year watch” is a great first step down a long patch of collecting timepieces.

My budget is between $8k - $16k which, based on current market prices, limits me to the references enumerated below (there may be others in my range but I am looking for more of a daily as I do not need a “dressy” watch):

1. Sub
(i) 5513: There may be a reason I listed this reference first… this may be an
unpopular opinion but I would consider an unpolished, “Spider Dial” that has an aged patina to be beautifully nuanced.
(ii) 16800: I am not as excited about the cyclops and sapphire vs plexi but are the double zero more rare than a 5513? Am I correct in understanding that a triple zero was only produced ‘88-89. (i.e., defeat the purpose of my first being a “birth year” but a rare piece worth considering?)
2. GMT
What am I looking for from ‘87? 16750? I am amenable but it seems like I missed out on the matte dial? Should I consider a GMT over a sub?

I think I will ultimately look for a 5513 but without papers, how would I verify whether the piece is from 87 or 88? I suppose “close enough” is fine but is a full set necessary (if one pops up)? How inflated are the current prices? It looks like a reasonable price for a 5513 is around $10k -$13k?

Thank you for your help.
If you find something you like, post pictures here. You will get honest advice from members who know what they're looking at. First and most importantly is know your budget. Ask the seller for more pictures. Condition is everything.
Old 18 August 2022, 12:17 AM   #36
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

Is the following a better example with regard to chamfers, condition, etc. when compared to my previous post? This one is offered at $16,500 with guaranty paper (no box, anchor, etc.)

morknmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 01:18 AM   #37
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That one looks familiar from a previous thread. I think I recall a discussion about the refinished case and possible re-lume.
Old 18 August 2022, 01:25 AM   #38
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

Looks like this is the thread you are referring to.

I feel like at a certain point I am going to have to begin paying for the advice you are all offering.
Old 18 August 2022, 02:25 PM   #39
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Compare what? I don't understand your post.
I am just a sucker for good 5513s so I was curious to see pics of your current 1990 model vs. your prior 1987.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 04:35 PM   #40
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
I am just a sucker for good 5513s so I was curious to see pics of your current 1990 model vs. your prior 1987.
same here! same here! would be lovely to see some pics of 5513 WGS in pristine condition

(i have one myself but the condition is not as perfect as what i am seeing here *drools)
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 11:57 PM   #41
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk2rick View Post
same here! same here! would be lovely to see some pics of 5513 WGS in pristine condition

(i have one myself but the condition is not as perfect as what i am seeing here *drools)
I wish it was pristine

I would defer you to HL65's photo of his 5513. That is one fine 5513.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 12:25 PM   #42
crnamedic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Styles is right. Don't rush in.

Spend a year or more researching until you know what's right, and then you'll know when the moment is right.

If you need to ask, you haven't done enough research.
Agreed
crnamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 12:59 PM   #43
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

Thanks, all. I am going to take a step back from my “birth year” endeavors and do some research as I begin the lifetime journey of thoughtfully building out my collection; I foresee tritium dials in my future.
Old 22 August 2022, 01:50 PM   #44
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I rather have better condition than a year that may be close to when I was born. I'd get a solid 5513.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 03:34 PM   #45
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I rather have better condition than a year that may be close to when I was born. I'd get a solid 5513.
Hutch:

Agreed.

I took a step back to allow myself to appreciate the advice I have received from this thread and elsewhere; I acknowledge the fact that while a birth year piece can be meaningful, to jump at an example simply for the serial number without regard to the condition is really a disservice to myself. I am confident that an exceptional example of a birth year piece will pop up when I am fortunate enough.

With regard to the 5513, that is certainly on the list but broadening the range of serial numbers will allow me to find one that is meaningful in its own right.

As Styles, and zapokee noted, respectively, in earlier posts, my focus needs to pivot to due diligence so that, within the vintage rabbit hole, I know: (i) what I am looking for; and, (ii) what I am looking at.
Old 22 August 2022, 04:16 PM   #46
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
While I agree due diligence and understanding needed, which takes time, suggest you don't pontificate for months and months.

In UK good loose 5513 WG gloss was £5500 in 17, £6500 in 18, £7500 in 19, £8200 in 20, £9500 in 21 and over £10k now ... not much sign of this type of watch softening here.....the later 116710/116610/114060 yes (and perhaps the prior model too eg 16710), but the later stuff like 5513/1680/1665/1655/16660 appears to be rising still !

Ps - I personally put originality a bit above condition but of course both is best !
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 04:52 PM   #47
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

Paul:

The market will ebb and flow regardless so trying to time the price is not my intention; a mint birth year piece, regardless of reference, will work it’s way into my collection at one point or another - it could be this week or it could be years from now. In the interim, I will study and build relationships.

Many thanks.