The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 August 2022, 11:09 PM   #1
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Would you put in a complaint? UK

I’m not sure what the situation is like in other countries but in the UK the vast majority of ADs are actually in the same group. You can only register interest in a watch in one branch and notes are shared.

I’ve had a terrible experience and was messed about. I’ve never done this before before but I’m considering putting in a complaint out of frustration with the experience. I’m on the fence as I don’t want to be locked out of the majority of ADs. All the local ones are part of this group and most ADs prefer local customers so I’m not sure how useful travelling to an independent one would be.

Anyone here happy to share their experience putting in a complaint with an AD (Goldsmiths) in the uk? Did anything come out of it? Did you get blacklisted? Should I just talk to the wall?
Shouldi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:12 PM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
ADs get to decide who they sell to and how they do it. Simple as that.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:13 PM   #3
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Some questions to think about and/or answer here:

1. What are you trying to achieve by filing a complaint?
2. What would be an expected outcome that would make you happy?
3. What, if anything, would the AD gain from accommodating your request? What would you gain?
4. Whose ear are you hoping to catch? What would you like them to do?
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:16 PM   #4
Surya
"TRF" Member

Do you mind sharing what happened?

I find Goldsmiths / WoS a fairly useless bunch, but I understand your point about not wanting to burn your bridges unnecessarily. I think it's a real shame Rolex seem to have thrown their lot in with them in the UK.
Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:18 PM   #5
telesquire
Banned

Pointless.Sorry.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:20 PM   #6
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Agreed. However they should not be rude about it and mess people about.

Essentially I was offered watch A in a private sale. I was at the AD and was told that they would be able to get me watch B in x amount of weeks. They confirmed it several times in person and in writing by email. I then declined watch A based on this. X weeks later the AD cancelled the deal blaming Rolex not delivering the watch. They decline to confirm I’m next in line when it does come in. Watch A is now no longer available.
Old 5 August 2022, 11:22 PM   #7
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I see this is your 1st post, Welcome to TRF. Being that the AD's are tied together, I don't think I would go in complaining. What I would do is revisit the store and talk to the offender in a nice way. Gently express how you feel about the situation and gently express your concern.

If receptive I would share the reason for you initial visit to begin with. If they still treated you harshly, Then you will know you don't need to do business with them anyway and move on. You could go up the ladder, but that could place you on a black list of some sort. I would just try talking to the same SA.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:23 PM   #8
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Why did they cancel the deal? Do you have the cancelled communication in writing?

If things are in writing you have more of a "leg" to stand on....but again, I'm not sure how you'd be able to leverage that to make them sell you watch B.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:28 PM   #9
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Some questions to think about and/or answer here:

1. What are you trying to achieve by filing a complaint?
2. What would be an expected outcome that would make you happy?
3. What, if anything, would the AD gain from accommodating your request? What would you gain?
4. Whose ear are you hoping to catch? What would you like them to do?

All very reasonable things to consider.

1. Get the watch, and possibly vent a bit aha.
2. I would expect them to honour the “confirmed” deal - their term. If the watch genuinely did not arrive in that shipment (which I don’t 100% believe) then I would expect I’d be first in line for the next one.
3. I know the watches sell themselves but the jewellery doesn’t. I’d be withholding any jewellery purchases from them after this though don’t know how to eloquently mention that.
4. Manager probably. Who never seems available in person.
Old 5 August 2022, 11:32 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:33 PM   #11
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I see this is your 1st post, Welcome to TRF. Being that the AD's are tied together, I don't think I would go in complaining. What I would do is revisit the store and talk to the offender in a nice way. Gently express how you feel about the situation and gently express your concern.

If receptive I would share the reason for you initial visit to begin with. If they still treated you harshly, Then you will know you don't need to do business with them anyway and move on. You could go up the ladder, but that could place you on a black list of some sort. I would just try talking to the same SA.

Sigh, I suspect I’ll end up going this route. I guess I was hoping to hear of someone having success after putting in a paper trail of their experience.
Old 5 August 2022, 11:52 PM   #12
writemem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldi? View Post
I’m not sure what the situation is like in other countries but in the UK the vast majority of ADs are actually in the same group. You can only register interest in a watch in one branch and notes are shared.

I’ve had a terrible experience and was messed about. I’ve never done this before before but I’m considering putting in a complaint out of frustration with the experience. I’m on the fence as I don’t want to be locked out of the majority of ADs. All the local ones are part of this group and most ADs prefer local customers so I’m not sure how useful travelling to an independent one would be.

Anyone here happy to share their experience putting in a complaint with an AD (Goldsmiths) in the uk? Did anything come out of it? Did you get blacklisted? Should I just talk to the wall?
I did it recently with the Sheffield (meadowhall) branch. I got absolutely no where. I'm a previous customer with a spend history and wanted to register interest for a GMT - figured I might be in with a chance due to the rumour of the new WoS rule about selling to new Rolex buyers only and my previous spends have been on other brands. I reached out to an SA I knew who told me I needed to come in and provide ID as it was a new policy, I phoned the store, made an appointment, turned up and noticed the SA rolling their eyes at two other guys who had walked in and were asking about rolex - not a good sign. I sat down, she made me a coffee and as I pointed at the exhibition pieces and dared to utter the words stainless steel I was cut off mid sentence, apparently new policy that came in a few days ago they no longer take register of interests (she then reeled off a list of the models and even referenced them by nickname) I then thanked her for wasting my time, you could have told me that over the phone or via email and saved my an hour round trip, stood up and walked out.

I then complained to WoS and included email chains etc and I got a call from the store, same SA and she said started with "yeah if you'd not walked out I was going to say we would have honuored the registration for you, so do you still want to register?" (this was BS I gave her a good 10 seconds before walking out, her eyebrow raising and open palm gesture concluded we were done) asked her if she could turn it around in a year as is like it for my 40th she said no and then asked if I wanted a Datejust instead !!! I told her.....no

Some might respond here saying I should have taken the register of interest as it takes years - let me tell you who they don't sell GMTs to - a guy who has only bought omega and made a complaint to head office about you
writemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:57 PM   #13
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
I don’t think lodging a complaint is ever a good thing. It might help in the short term but will ruin the long term relationship. Sounds like you have some traction with them so I would follow the general advice about going in and expressing disappointment, etc, etc
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:57 PM   #14
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You normally get you're desired piece in 3 months
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 12:03 AM   #15
writemem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writemem View Post
I did it recently with the Sheffield (meadowhall) branch. I got absolutely no where. I'm a previous customer with a spend history and wanted to register interest for a GMT - figured I might be in with a chance due to the rumour of the new WoS rule about selling to new Rolex buyers only and my previous spends have been on other brands. I reached out to an SA I knew who told me I needed to come in and provide ID as it was a new policy, I phoned the store, made an appointment, turned up and noticed the SA rolling their eyes at two other guys who had walked in and were asking about rolex - not a good sign. I sat down, she made me a coffee and as I pointed at the exhibition pieces and dared to utter the words stainless steel I was cut off mid sentence, apparently new policy that came in a few days ago they no longer take register of interests (she then reeled off a list of the models and even referenced them by nickname) I then thanked her for wasting my time, you could have told me that over the phone or via email and saved my an hour round trip, stood up and walked out.

I then complained to WoS and included email chains etc and I got a call from the store, same SA and she said started with "yeah if you'd not walked out I was going to say we would have honuored the registration for you, so do you still want to register?" (this was BS I gave her a good 10 seconds before walking out, her eyebrow raising and open palm gesture concluded we were done) asked her if she could turn it around in a year as is like it for my 40th she said no and then asked if I wanted a Datejust instead !!! I told her.....no

Some might respond here saying I should have taken the register of interest as it takes years - let me tell you who they don't sell GMTs to - a guy who has only bought omega and made a complaint to head office about you
Also, the way this should have gone following my complaint - a phone call to my apologising and acknowleding the mistake, being told I'm already on the list now and that they would do their best to get the model for me.

If they'd done that it would have cost them nothing, infact they would have gained all the respect back, and they don't have to sell me to anyway, could just give me the "supply issue" "high demand" in 12-18 months time. Infact they'd have kept me on the hook and might have been able to sell me something that is available as the market slows down. I guess they'll never know now
writemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 12:15 AM   #16
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I agree that it is pointless to complain. You’ll just shoot yourself in the foot bc now they definitely wont give you squat. Just ride it out and keep following up on your request. “Rolex” will eventually “deliver” and It will eventually become available to you.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 12:17 AM   #17
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writemem View Post
Also, the way this should have gone following my complaint - a phone call to my apologising and acknowleding the mistake, being told I'm already on the list now and that they would do their best to get the model for me.

If they'd done that it would have cost them nothing, infact they would have gained all the respect back, and they don't have to sell me to anyway, could just give me the "supply issue" "high demand" in 12-18 months time. Infact they'd have kept me on the hook and might have been able to sell me something that is available as the market slows down. I guess they'll never know now

Thank you for sharing your experience! Yeah I totally get you. If they were just frank and said it went to a bigger fish but give us a couple of months and we’ll deliver I would’ve understood. Instead it went from “confirmed” to “how long is a piece of string?”
Old 6 August 2022, 02:32 AM   #18
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Take it as a lesson learned and move on. I wouldn't file any complaint.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 03:32 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Agreed. However they should not be rude about it and mess people about.

Essentially I was offered watch A in a private sale. I was at the AD and was told that they would be able to get me watch B in x amount of weeks. They confirmed it several times in person and in writing by email. I then declined watch A based on this. X weeks later the AD cancelled the deal blaming Rolex not delivering the watch. They decline to confirm I’m next in line when it does come in. Watch A is now no longer available.
If this is true, the problem was with delivery from Rolex which is beyond the control of the AD. Perhaps, the AD should have said it's here when it is. If you had reached out here earlier, I am sure the advice would have been to jump on the watch which was available. Anything can happen and lately does.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:34 AM   #20
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Filing a complaint would be investing a lot of towards something that could probably, if anything, work against you, IMO.

Many ADs probably don't have the strongest incentive to prioritize customer service at the moment for buyers wanting Rolex watches, although that could change in the near term.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:45 AM   #21
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Buy grey, get it now. I had to pay 2x rrp for what I wanted..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 06:02 AM   #22
watchgeezer
"TRF" Member

when in rome, do as the romans do
watchgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 09:31 AM   #23
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Yes, be sure to put in a complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 11:38 PM   #24
Shouldi?
"TRF" Member

Ended up submitting a complaint.

May come to nothing, may get blacklisted, or whatever. It’s a watch and not the end of the world if I never get one through them. They messed me about and wasted several hours so I’m treating them like any other business - giving feedback and avoiding spending money there unless they apologise or sort things.
Old 9 August 2022, 04:49 PM   #25
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
I agree a complaint to the offenders themselves would get you nowhere. The only recourse you have is just to name and shame with as much specificity as possible online. It's important for the public to know. But unfortunately it won't result in any immediate benefit to you.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 06:09 PM   #26
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Whatever objections you make you are drawing dead……..

But situations may change providing you don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 07:41 PM   #27
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to TRF.
Watch A was the initial goal at a somewhat higher cost, am I right?
Watch B was at Rolex RRP/MSRP, so a lower cost?

My thoughts go to your long term collecting plan. If it’s with AD’s then a complaint will net you a negative rating. And the hopes are slim to none on getting your watch soon or ever.

Time to find Watch C from a trusted dealer methinks - and flip the script for future purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:47 PM   #28
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the current market, as we all know. You filed a complaint and that is within your ability to do as a customer. Maybe it has an impact and you will get some follow-up. Positive or negative you did what you wanted so you will reap the outcome. I hope it is positive. As a 30 plus year collector/buyer/seller/flipper I will offer you my advise and it will cross out of watch collecting to other areas. Get your emotions and feelings out of business. Nobody likes to be disrespected or put to the side but you must remember the goal is to get a watch that you want. This will be a continuing learning experience for you if you choose to look at it like that. You should have taken the watch that was offered from the other source, not the AD. You would then have your watch and not be here with the AD. Might have cost more but you would have the watch. I wish you well and keep us posted on your progress.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote