The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 August 2022, 01:01 AM   #1
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Journey to the 15550

Hi all,

I’ve had a Royal Oak in my sights for a long time now but never had the interest or means to buy one for the insane grey market prices. I just moved to an area with an AP boutique and, although I know it’s impossible to get a RO at retail, is there any path that any of you have taken to get the opportunity to buy one? The 15550 grey dial is my grail but as I understand it, I’d have to make multiple purchases to be considered and even then it’s difficult. That being said, have any of you been through this as a first time AP customer? Is purchasing a Royal oak offshore any easier? I would definitely prefer purchasing an offshore to build up buy history rather than a code as I would never wear the code.

Any advice would be appreciated!
sjeelani00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:17 AM   #2
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Have you ever held a Code in your hands? But regardless, Offshore is certainly easier but a 15550 is doable as well. Don’t buy into the fud around 15550’s being unobtainable as a first watch.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:43 AM   #3
messikens
"TRF" Member

A 15500 was my first AP purchase - so it's not impossible at all... My experience with the boutique was fantastic. They asked me about my interest in the brand, background, showed a few watches to me and my wife and put us on the list.

Admittedly wait time was pretty long (1y+) but that's part of the fun and we stopped by from time to time to just browse models. Never once did I feel like they pressured me into "working up" to a 15500...

I'd say be open that you'd ultimately really want to purchase a 15500 but you'd be also interested in a ROO and ask for the SA's opinion / advice. Currently the ROOs are likely still a bit easier to get (and it's a fantastic watch). If you don't like the look of a Code, then tell them you'd not be interested in a Code, better to the straight up.

Good luck!
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:55 AM   #4
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
Have you ever held a Code in your hands? But regardless, Offshore is certainly easier but a 15550 is doable as well. Don’t buy into the fud around 15550’s being unobtainable as a first watch.
But the current 15550s are ‘50th Anniversary’ pieces, correct? So the OPs chances are best next year anyway, and therefore that’s an additional reason not to feel pressured to buy a different model (if my reasoning is correct).
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:11 AM   #5
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My only hesitation with the code is not the quality or even aesthetic, they’re beautiful watches. I dress very informally most of the time (polos/hoodies and joggers) and to work I wear scrubs to the hospital so wouldn’t get much wear time. So I wouldn’t want to purchase a code just for the sake of it, that’s why I thought of the offshore as an initial purchase, if “required”, as a stepping stone to the 15550 as it’s something I would actually wear.
Old 14 August 2022, 02:12 AM   #6
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
A 15500 was my first AP purchase - so it's not impossible at all... My experience with the boutique was fantastic. They asked me about my interest in the brand, background, showed a few watches to me and my wife and put us on the list.

Admittedly wait time was pretty long (1y+) but that's part of the fun and we stopped by from time to time to just browse models. Never once did I feel like they pressured me into "working up" to a 15500...

I'd say be open that you'd ultimately really want to purchase a 15500 but you'd be also interested in a ROO and ask for the SA's opinion / advice. Currently the ROOs are likely still a bit easier to get (and it's a fantastic watch). If you don't like the look of a Code, then tell them you'd not be interested in a Code, better to the straight up.

Good luck!
That’s great to hear that you had a pleasant experience! I don’t mind the wait at all, as you’re saying it adds to the fun. Appreciate the insight!
Old 14 August 2022, 02:13 AM   #7
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
But the current 15550s are ‘50th Anniversary’ pieces, correct? So the OPs chances are best next year anyway, and therefore that’s an additional reason not to feel pressured to buy a different model (if my reasoning is correct).
That’s exactly what I was thinking! Although somehow getting a 50th would be incredible, it wouldn’t make it any less special getting a non anniversary model
Old 14 August 2022, 06:40 AM   #8
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
It is very rare to get a 15550 as a first AP (even moreso 50th anniversary) unless they really really like. Yes it’s possible, same as winning the lottery, just highly unlikely.

But an Offshore is definitely a first AP and a good piece on the way to a RO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 11:00 PM   #9
pjm1289
"TRF" Member

I put down the 26315 and 15450 as my first choices timepieces in mid August 2021 and got the 26315 in mid September. I think it is certainly possible. Just keep in touch with the boutique, be sincere and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get one sooner or later. Good luck!
pjm1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 01:11 AM   #10
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Like Messikens, a 15500 was my first Boutique purchase. I stopped in and expressed interest in December 2019, followed up a couple of times via text message once it was clear the pandemic wasn’t the end of the world, and received my gray dial in Feb 2021.

Not a super common experience, but it’s definitely possible. Timing, luck, and how well you and your SA connect are definitely factors, but in my experience AP does want to get watches to passionate collectors new to the brand.

Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 03:10 AM   #11
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

I dont think it's impossible at all!
I know 2 guys personally that got a 15550 as their first RO, and one of them in baby blue.
I had a friendly chat with my AD where I've requested the same in blue, and while they said they'd try, they did offer me a 15550SA. I turned that down politely, as I'm not a fan of two tone, but I do believe that it isn't impossible that you get allocated a grey.

Have a friendly chat and express what you want, and hope for the best.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 04:07 AM   #12
APWhale
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeelani00 View Post
My only hesitation with the code is not the quality or even aesthetic, they’re beautiful watches. I dress very informally most of the time (polos/hoodies and joggers) and to work I wear scrubs to the hospital so wouldn’t get much wear time. So I wouldn’t want to purchase a code just for the sake of it, that’s why I thought of the offshore as an initial purchase, if “required”, as a stepping stone to the 15550 as it’s something I would actually wear.
Not trying to persuade you to get a Code over an Offshore or RO as I insist that a RO is obtainable as a first piece if that's what you really want.

That being said, I dress just as informally as you and I think the Code is the perfect watch for all occasions. If you are looking for a pure dress watch, the Code is not the watch for you. There is a reason they are putting a rubber strap on just about every new Code in the line now. Compared to my 43mm Offshore, the Code is almost just as sporty while being way more versatile. The same chronograph movement attests to that. It transitions seamlessly with me from the gym to the office to a night out. I have yet to find an occasion where it is not suitable, besides for swimming due to the lack of screw down crown and water resistance
Old 15 August 2022, 10:05 AM   #13
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Agree with APWhale. My Code is as informal as any of my other sports watches. I actually wear it mostly on the weekends sometimes with just a t-shirt and sweatpants while walking around the neighborhood. I also wear scrubs most of the time, OP. I would also encourage you to try on both the offshores and the 15550ST in person. While I personally wear 41mm ROs I find offshores to be too big for me so I am kind of surprised that you would want both a 37mm RO and an offshore.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 05:29 PM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
While I personally wear 41mm ROs I find offshores to be too big for me so I am kind of surprised that you would want both a 37mm RO and an offshore.
I tend to agree - I like the size of the 42/43mm ROOs (44mm is at the limit), and find the 37mm looks too small on my wrist. Conversely, if the 37mm is a good fit for the OP, I suspect the ROOs would wear rather large. Definitely need to try.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 04:42 AM   #15
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone! The boutique had a 43mm 15702 available to try on which actually fit decently well and I actually really liked the overall look. Seemed to fit like a 42mm Panerai lug to lug in my mind. That being said, the 15550 would still be the more all around watch for my collection as i would be selling my VC Overseas 4500V blue dial to find the purchase. So i would want something just as versatile and classic.

As others have said, although it may not be completely impossible to get a 15550, I didn’t form any type of love connection with the SA lol It was all pretty matter of fact so I guess my chances are even lower but I suppose this is all a part of of the chase.
Old 16 August 2022, 12:22 PM   #16
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Going forward, how frequently would you all visit the AP boutique/reach out to the SA as follow up? By no means do I want to annoy them, but just show that I’m a serious collector and wanting to keep myself in their mind as someone who would love to get allocated a piece.
Old 16 August 2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ask the boutique. It’s possible to get a 15500st as your first piece. I know because it was my first.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 07:34 PM   #18
APWhale
Banned

Quote:
Going forward, how frequently would you all visit the AP boutique/reach out to the SA as follow up? By no means do I want to annoy them, but just show that I’m a serious collector and wanting to keep myself in their mind as someone who would love to get allocated a piece.
Depends. For example the proximity of your boutique, if you walk past it daily then it wouldn't seem weird to drop in regularly. If it is by appointment only, its a bit trickier as it would seem pushy to constantly be requesting an appt just to stop in and say hi, as sometimes even appointments can be hard to be allocated these days

Also, some SAs may not check their messages unless they are actively reaching out to you. Unless your SA has given you their personal number, probably best to avoid contacting them unless you have a specific need.

My personal approach is as follows: Whenever I am in there for a specific need, ie picking up a watch or trying on new releases, to somehow plan a follow up before leaving, whether it be ordering a strap or link etc. This way within a few weeks/months the SA will reach out for you to come back in for a pick up. Somehow this keeps the flow of visits natural as they are calling you in without you having to bombard them randomly with requests to stop by, and they know you are a serious collector as you are making purchases/servicing your existing timepieces.
Old 17 August 2022, 01:14 AM   #19
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Depends. For example the proximity of your boutique, if you walk past it daily then it wouldn't seem weird to drop in regularly. If it is by appointment only, its a bit trickier as it would seem pushy to constantly be requesting an appt just to stop in and say hi, as sometimes even appointments can be hard to be allocated these days

Also, some SAs may not check their messages unless they are actively reaching out to you. Unless your SA has given you their personal number, probably best to avoid contacting them unless you have a specific need.

My personal approach is as follows: Whenever I am in there for a specific need, ie picking up a watch or trying on new releases, to somehow plan a follow up before leaving, whether it be ordering a strap or link etc. This way within a few weeks/months the SA will reach out for you to come back in for a pick up. Somehow this keeps the flow of visits natural as they are calling you in without you having to bombard them randomly with requests to stop by, and they know you are a serious collector as you are making purchases/servicing your existing timepieces.
It seems that the boutique is generally by appointment but a couple people, seemingly without an appointment, dropped by during mine. I actually live a few hours from the closest boutique but am typically in the city once every month or two to visit family.

The SA gave me her card which had both her cell number and email address. I just sent a quick thank you text to which we she very kindly replied that she would let me know if anything becomes available. For what it worth, when I asked about the 15550 (I’m interested in the white and grey dials) she made it seem those were not insane asks as opposed to the blue dials. I even tried on the 15702 Offshore and she made it seem as if those were even more difficult to get than the 15550. So maybe there’s a chance? Or I’m just delusional lol

In terms of following up, this will be my first AP so unfortunately nothing that I can really purchase in terms of accessories to serve as a drop in visit as I do at my local AD where I purchase my other watches. I plan on taking my wife back with me too so I may drop by once every couple months. Maybe text the SA after a few months too - definitely don’t want to be that annoying guy but want to show that I am a serious collector, a fan of AP and not just another flipper.
Old 17 August 2022, 02:58 AM   #20
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It seems that the boutique is generally by appointment but a couple people, seemingly without an appointment, dropped by during mine. I actually live a few hours from the closest boutique but am typically in the city once every month or two to visit family.

The SA gave me her card which had both her cell number and email address. I just sent a quick thank you text to which we she very kindly replied that she would let me know if anything becomes available. For what it worth, when I asked about the 15550 (I’m interested in the white and grey dials) she made it seem those were not insane asks as opposed to the blue dials. I even tried on the 15702 Offshore and she made it seem as if those were even more difficult to get than the 15550. So maybe there’s a chance? Or I’m just delusional lol

In terms of following up, this will be my first AP so unfortunately nothing that I can really purchase in terms of accessories to serve as a drop in visit as I do at my local AD where I purchase my other watches. I plan on taking my wife back with me too so I may drop by once every couple months. Maybe text the SA after a few months too - definitely don’t want to be that annoying guy but want to show that I am a serious collector, a fan of AP and not just another flipper.
Where are you located?
scottywein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 02:59 AM   #21
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywein View Post
Where are you located?
Houston! I visited the Dallas boutique
Old 17 August 2022, 05:01 AM   #22
APWhale
Banned

Quote:

There is a video on YouTube where a female YouTuber dropped in to the Dallas boutique and got a 37mm RO same day, so it appears they might have stock

But seriously, as things stand a 37mm RO as a first AP is very doable. And take your wife in next time as AP is actively trying to bring in more female clients. You don't come across as seeming entitled and I'm sure your SA recognizes and appreciates that. Your character (and your wife) may be your biggest asset in this game, so stay patient and in my experience the pleasant surprises tend to come sooner rather than later!
Old 17 August 2022, 05:41 AM   #23
sjeelani00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is a video on YouTube where a female YouTuber dropped in to the Dallas boutique and got a 37mm RO same day, so it appears they might have stock

But seriously, as things stand a 37mm RO as a first AP is very doable. And take your wife in next time as AP is actively trying to bring in more female clients. You don't come across as seeming entitled and I'm sure your SA recognizes and appreciates that. Your character (and your wife) may be your biggest asset in this game, so stay patient and in my experience the pleasant surprises tend to come sooner rather than later!
Haha I saw that video - such a cool story! If only things like that happened to the rest of us lol

Really appreciate the insight! I’ll definitely stay patient and try and occupy myself with videos of the royal oak in the mean time haha
Old 21 August 2022, 05:54 PM   #24
APWhale
Banned

Sorry this is off topic, mods feel free to delete. But Sjeelani00 idk why but I am unable to respond to your PM.
Old 22 August 2022, 07:32 AM   #25
NB614
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP / PP / Rolex
OP, good luck working with the Dallas boutique. Don't forget they are a joint venture with Material Good!

I flew up right after they first opened in 2020, and throughout my time with them, I bought two offshores (one steel and one rose gold). I was offered a 15500ST in every color but blue and a 26331ST in black. I politely declined each time as I was holding out for a blue dial and was waiting for AP to redesign the ROCs.

I believe there is a possibility you can get a 15550ST (non-50th) with a long wait or as a second purchase, but who knows? That female YouTuber walked in for the first time, and 2 hours later, they offered her a 37mm RO with diamonds, so anything is possible.

Best of luck!!!
NB614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 01:43 AM   #26
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

My first watch with my boutique is the new ROO chrono, which I absolutely love, but ultimately I really wanted a 50th anniversary RO on bracelet, preferably stainless steel so I can wear it daily rotation with my Rolexes.

I got a call within 3 months for my ROO in titanium and I got another call 3 months after for my 50th - it's an extra special one (taking delivery Friday so I'll update with a post). I didn't think in a million years I could get a 41mm 50th piece in a special color as my 2nd watch with AP and only 6 months since I stepped into the boutique for the first time and became a client.

Dreams do come true, build up your relationship with your boutique and SA, I think a non-RO purchase goes a long way and the the Offshore line has some fantastic pieces!
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 10:15 AM   #27
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone! The boutique had a 43mm 15702 available to try on which actually fit decently well and I actually really liked the overall look. Seemed to fit like a 42mm Panerai lug to lug in my mind. That being said, the 15550 would still be the more all around watch for my collection as i would be selling my VC Overseas 4500V blue dial to find the purchase. So i would want something just as versatile and classic.

As others have said, although it may not be completely impossible to get a 15550, I didn’t form any type of love connection with the SA lol It was all pretty matter of fact so I guess my chances are even lower but I suppose this is all a part of of the chase.
If you have a VC I'd say that is more versatile than any RO to be honest

I got a 15400 as my 1st AP and it was a blue dial as well, I'd only that the SA's typically would pick and choose those over many factors. I've mentioned this on the forum before but things like:

-job
-current collection
-how you present yourself
-if you'd be a flipper or do you have a genuine interest in watches as a whole

I think these are quite obvious but each watch has dozens of people who'd snap them up in a second that they can choose who would effectively be an ambassador for their brand.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 05:08 PM   #28
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

My first piece was not a RO because:

1. I’m open to ROO (love the new 43mm and the divers)
2. I know it would help build up my collection with AP and helps option harder to get dials / 50th pieces

What helps:

Being nice to your SA. I know it sounds obvious but common sense isn’t that common.

My journey is as follows:

February 2022 first visit to boutique
May 2022 received ROO 43mm allocation
August 2022 received 50th anniversary royal oak Chrono Green dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 September 2022, 07:59 AM   #29
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
My first piece was not a RO because:

1. I’m open to ROO (love the new 43mm and the divers)
2. I know it would help build up my collection with AP and helps option harder to get dials / 50th pieces

What helps:

Being nice to your SA. I know it sounds obvious but common sense isn’t that common.

My journey is as follows:

February 2022 first visit to boutique
May 2022 received ROO 43mm allocation
August 2022 received 50th anniversary royal oak Chrono Green dial

Very nice for you, and hope you enjoy it!!!

Bit this is not the way things usually go, in my experience.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 05:09 PM   #30
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
Very nice for you, and hope you enjoy it!!!

Bit this is not the way things usually go, in my experience.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Very true - not always, but I’d like to believe in miracles and I guess that’s how I ended up here