The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub since 1984
Advice on new seiko choice?

Hi
I have had a submariner on my wrist for the last 38 years and just sold it. Feel naked! I am a diver, used to the heavier feel and use the bezel timer all the time.
I was in my local rolex store and they also sell seikos. I looked at the capt willard model which had the ss bracelet. The bracelet looked very solid and as strong as an oyster bracelet. The clicks on the bezel were also very precise with no play or wobble. its the only other watch I have felt that had as solid a bezel as the sub. The watch felt really good on my wrist.

Watch is 1400 bucks and the other versions were much less but read has plastic not sapphire and a lesser quality movement. Plus the crown was not protected. And the band felt flimsier.

SO for you Seiko guys, is the Willard considered a marketing hype watch or actually better built and worth the premium?

Are there any others out there to choose from that are comparable? budget is 2k or under. thx
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 03:30 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Hi Chris, this video addresses your Willard question at some length: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpc3tRWxYWM

You might also consider some other Seiko divers styles like the Turtle, MM300, MM200 or even the Tuna. They're all great in their own ways. You should also be able to secure a discount on most models.
Old 17 August 2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The Captain Willard is good enough for the boss.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 05:14 PM   #4
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
The first sentence from OP sent me into orbit. Wow.

Regarding Seiko, checkout the new Prospex line. Nice offerings.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 10:22 PM   #5
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Thx for all tips. I live far from decent watch stores so It is hard for me to actually get my hands on any alternatives, without ordering and returning.
I will miss my sub as it is, once broken in, the most comfortable diver to wear imo, but tired of the rolex bs for parts/repairs. A few months ago I checked with my service center and it was a 6mos wait to get fixed. BUT you have to send the watch in to get on the wait list. screw that.

Does anyone know if you can buy OEM seiko parts on line to fix your self? Specifically bezlels and related washer/springs?
Old 17 August 2022, 10:24 PM   #6
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
The first sentence from OP sent me into orbit. Wow.

Regarding Seiko, checkout the new Prospex line. Nice offerings.
If you had any idea on how many $$ I have spent on repairs and new parts, bands over the years...! If I had known would have bought 2 back in 84!!
Old 17 August 2022, 11:12 PM   #7
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Get the Willard and a pre-loved Sub 14060m!
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 11:40 PM   #8
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Seiko repairs are very reasonable (if ever needed), turn around time is excellent. Propex line is one heck of a watch for the money.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 12:39 AM   #9
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Hi Chris

I recently picked up the SPB237J1 "Willard" with the green and grey natos.

I've just put it on an Uncle Seiko BOR bracelet. OEM's can be sourced easily too.

I love it. Great quality, looks much better in the metal and sapphire than in pictures and its not been off my wrist since.

My thread here

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=861627

Cheers

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 06:42 AM   #10
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Hello fellow Oregonian !

The 237Willard is ( IMHO) the nicest version, I keep searching Watchrecon for a preowned one, they go quickly.

Don't discount the humble King Turtle- Sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel. You can find them on Amazon, so at least returning it is easy....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=seiko+kin..._ts-doa-p_2_11

happy hunting
Old 18 August 2022, 11:10 AM   #11
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Hello fellow Oregonian !

The 237Willard is ( IMHO) the nicest version, I keep searching Watchrecon for a preowned one, they go quickly.

Don't discount the humble King Turtle- Sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel. You can find them on Amazon, so at least returning it is easy....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=seiko+kin..._ts-doa-p_2_11

happy hunting
Hi thx! Does the willard and the king turtle have the same slightly concave case on the back? and is the ss bracelet the same on the willard as on the king turtle? Personally I could care less about the ficticious 'willard' bit. But I did like the movie and got drunk (on wine) once with Coppola in Belize.
Old 18 August 2022, 01:54 PM   #12
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
But I did like the movie and got drunk (on wine) once with Coppola in Belize.
I’m not sure if this means you should get the watch, but it’s freakin’ awesome. Of course it was wine, was it his?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 09:18 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You can not go wrong with the Willard's. I have several in my collection and my favorite being the SLA033. I also own all three of the King Turtles and for the money, around $500.00, you get the classic Turtle case, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. The OD green with the waffle dial is very nice but so is the blue and the black. I wear all three on a strap but the bracelet is ok. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 09:22 PM   #14
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

It was back in the mid 80's so now sure if he even had wineries back then. He had come to Belize to buy an old lodge in the mountains, which he turned into a very cool upscale eco resort. I remember he brought the first wood fired pizza oven to Belize!
Old 18 August 2022, 09:27 PM   #15
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
You can not go wrong with the Willard's. I have several in my collection and my favorite being the SLA033. I also own all three of the King Turtles and for the money, around $500.00, you get the classic Turtle case, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. The OD green with the waffle dial is very nice but so is the blue and the black. I wear all three on a strap but the bracelet is ok. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
So what is the big diff between the king turtle and willard, other than unique colors? is the movement higher quality? What is so great about it ? tyring to get this figured out before I order! appreciate help
Old 20 August 2022, 09:03 AM   #16
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
The Willard is a solid choice for the money, IMO. I have one and I love it. It's a robust watch.
Old 20 August 2022, 09:46 PM   #17
1William

Quote:
So what is the big diff between the king turtle and willard, other than unique colors? is the movement higher quality? What is so great about it ? tyring to get this figured out before I order! appreciate help
The SLA lineup for the Seiko Willard is the next step up and most are 3-4k. Upgraded movements, many are Grand Seiko but unfinished, and typically more refined finishing on the cases. The King Turtle is the classic Turtle case but you pick up the ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal and some interesting dial work. There is a whole bunch of Willards in the $1200-1600 range with various case sizes, colors and strap and bracelet options. Depending on the case size you want the value piece is in the King Turtle. Don't let the 45mm case put you off as it has as shorter length and wears very flat on the wrist. The new silicone straps are very nice also. Look on Amazon and eBay and see what they are going for. Typically discounted. The black dial King Turtle comes on a bracelet and you can add a strap for about $40 dollars and have that as an option. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 21 August 2022, 11:00 AM   #18
paul cbc
"TRF" Member

OP - Good suggestions above!

Here is another model for your consideration: SPB261

Let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 520-02558.jpeg (50.6 KB, 197 views)
paul cbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 09:59 PM   #19
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The SLA lineup for the Seiko Willard is the next step up and most are 3-4k. Upgraded movements, many are Grand Seiko but unfinished, and typically more refined finishing on the cases. The King Turtle is the classic Turtle case but you pick up the ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal and some interesting dial work. There is a whole bunch of Willards in the $1200-1600 range with various case sizes, colors and strap and bracelet options. Depending on the case size you want the value piece is in the King Turtle. Don't let the 45mm case put you off as it has as shorter length and wears very flat on the wrist. The new silicone straps are very nice also. Look on Amazon and eBay and see what they are going for. Typically discounted. The black dial King Turtle comes on a bracelet and you can add a strap for about $40 dollars and have that as an option. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Back in the 80's-90's things were different with no iphones and gps satellite time. As I had a Rolex I never knew the precise time for the first 2 decades. If I remember correctly, I think we all set our time off the radio! So for me, 'improved' movements is more a a marketing tool that I dont need to pay a premium for. Infact if Seiko made a quartz turtle I would buy it immediately. Before I got my Sub, I had a Pulsar quartz dive watch with a rolex sub band (perfect fit) and it was excellent quality.

After all our guys' help I am ordering a king turtle. IN BLACK. As I am an ex dive professional, anyone caught wearing a colored dive watch would have a drowning accident.

Thanks!
Old 21 August 2022, 11:24 PM   #20
1William

Quote:
Back in the 80's-90's things were different with no iphones and gps satellite time. As I had a Rolex I never knew the precise time for the first 2 decades. If I remember correctly, I think we all set our time off the radio! So for me, 'improved' movements is more a a marketing tool that I dont need to pay a premium for. Infact if Seiko made a quartz turtle I would buy it immediately. Before I got my Sub, I had a Pulsar quartz dive watch with a rolex sub band (perfect fit) and it was excellent quality.

After all our guys' help I am ordering a king turtle. IN BLACK. As I am an ex dive professional, anyone caught wearing a colored dive watch would have a drowning accident.

Thanks!
Great choice and I think you will enjoy the watch. Post an incoming when it arrives and let us know your thoughts.
Old 23 August 2022, 01:01 PM   #21
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

Thanks!
congrats, look forward to pics!
Can't hate a Turtle...

Whilst not a Solar turtle, per se, the Prospex Solars are quite nice.
Costco has the Tuna style SNE567 for $269....

https://seikousa.com/products/sne567

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brjo6riDfQo
Old 23 August 2022, 01:14 PM   #22
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

I need a crown protector like on the turtle and submariner. One thing I noticed on the lesser expensive prospexes I checked out in the jewelry store was that their bezels were sloppy. The Willard was tight and firm on the clicks with no play. I just found the Seiko catalogue page and didnt realize that there are a shitpile of turtle cases to choose from. Now I'm trying to figure out which ones have ceramic bezels.The prodcut specs dont say. I read somewhere that some have anodized bezels that scratch very easily.

DISREGARD this too! I found the right catalogue that has the specs I was after. So many variations..!
Old 23 August 2022, 01:16 PM   #23
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you have a ref# for the King Turtle? I dont see it in the Seiko catalogue. FOUND IT! DISREGARD
Old 23 August 2022, 01:58 PM   #24
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
After all our guys' help I am ordering a king turtle. IN BLACK. As I am an ex dive professional, anyone caught wearing a colored dive watch would have a drowning accident.!
I guess I’d be one of the casualties .

Kidding aside, I recently picked up this SPB153 on the secondary market and it is an incredible piece for the money. Highly recommend one of these, in any color.

Let us know where you land!

Old 23 August 2022, 02:04 PM   #25
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

I will admit I do like the green! So why is your one 1100 bucks when the king turtle green srpe05 is only 595 ? same ceramic bezel, sapphire etc. ????
Old 23 August 2022, 03:04 PM   #26
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I will admit I do like the green! So why is your one 1100 bucks when the king turtle green srpe05 is only 595 ? same ceramic bezel, sapphire etc. ????

Cheers on the green!

Good question. As a starting point, I picked-up mine because I thought it was immensely cool and a lot of watch at its price point, and for me things pretty much started and stopped there. Never really compared it to the SPRE05 or any other turtle.

That said, mine works better for me as it’s a smaller package than the SPRE. It also has a somewhat better movement with a greater power reserve, and has some other upgrades, such as the indices, to the extent those things matter.

Does any of this mean that my SBP objectively merits the price differential or that the SPRE is not just as good a watch? Absolutely not. But to me it’s a killer piece, and the extra bucks are very well justified.

Old 25 August 2022, 12:52 AM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Not to throw a monkey wrench into things but what about the seiko prospex 200m (ie the spb185). There are some with blue and green dials but there is one with a black dial.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 01:01 AM   #28
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Thx but I need the crown protector. And I have large wrists so a 45mm fits better. I have a capt willard ss band version on the way from my jewelry shop. Get it tomorrow. Can return if dont like fit. The one they had is the dark blue version, not black. See what happens!
Old 28 August 2022, 12:37 AM   #29
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Well guys I now have a seiko on my wrist! This one. I would say the bezel is firmer and with more precise clicks than a submariner! And the band is equally as comfortable with a more positive lock clasp. So I have no regrets over the swap. Thanks for everyones' help! And yeah I couldnt make up my mind between blue, blk or green so I let my wife pick!

I need another link badly incase anyone has? WTB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLUE.jpg (201.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 28 August 2022, 04:32 AM   #30
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Very nice.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote