The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 August 2022, 09:51 AM   #31
fareplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
So you want a sports chrono from a brand comparable in quality to Rolex in the 10-15k range that has a softer touch than Rolex on the preowned market…

Why aren’t you buying a Speedmaster? Heck, with that budget, buy two—new from an AD! Get the display caseback—Omega movements are way better-finished than anything Rolex makes. And the case finishing is just as good.

Omega definitely in consideration. Was more curious on other brands as well. I want the best I can afford that has greatest delta between msrp and secondary as I’m using that as proxy for quality of build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fareplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:33 AM   #32
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareplay View Post
I was looking at omega aqua terra worldtimer actually but also like speedies. My main concern is omega to Rolex comparison and wonder to myself if people with speedies see a Daytona and feel sad they didn’t get one

The Speedy moon watch is a iconic as any watch on the market. It can stand on its own.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:53 AM   #33
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
I have a soft spot for JLC and Glashutte Original.....make no mistake, quality-wise both are at least equal to if not greater than Rolex.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 12:23 PM   #34
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
What?? I’d only choose a Daytona over a Speedy of superior water resistance is needed. The Speedy is one of the all-time great watches.
The SpeedMaster is rated to 50 metres.

Do you dive deeper that that?

If I went diving with a Speedy or a Daytona I would keep them serviced and pressure test them 12 monthly.

I am fortunate to have both.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 12:59 PM   #35
Coffes4closers
"TRF" Member

I know they have not been in favor lately, but I still find the bang for your buck with certain panerai models on the secondary market, is almost second to none. My Pam 233, purchased privately for $6200, has an 8 day manual movement, GMT function, am/pm indicator, sandwich dial, killer lume, power reserve indicator, exhibition case back, hacking seconds, quick change strap feature, and looks great. Great complications, strong styling, and IMO robust movements that can be abused both in and out of the water makes it hard to beat at that price point.
Coffes4closers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 01:11 PM   #36
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffes4closers View Post
I know they have not been in favor lately, but I still find the bang for your buck with certain panerai models on the secondary market, is almost second to none. My Pam 233, purchased privately for $6200, has an 8 day manual movement, GMT function, am/pm indicator, sandwich dial, killer lume, power reserve indicator, exhibition case back, hacking seconds, quick change strap feature, and looks great. Great complications, strong styling, and IMO robust movements that can be abused both in and out of the water makes it hard to beat at that price point.
I tried a 233 for size.

44mm x 18mm was too thick for me.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 02:06 PM   #37
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I think omega is very close to Rolex. Reliability, ruggedness, accuracy, functionality, finishing. Praises there.

Maybe lacking in brand but I am impressed with what omega is putting out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 02:37 PM   #38
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Grand Seiko.
Starts and stops here. Finish is superb.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 02:43 PM   #39
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Glashutte Original. SEAQ

Grand Seiko. Any of the divers.

Blainpain. 50 Fathoms
Old 5 August 2022, 02:59 PM   #40
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

None of these are going to scratch that Rolex itch.

If you're looking for a Rolex substitute then you're always going to be pining after a Rolex.

Personally I find the design of Grand Seikos incoherent and not innovative.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 03:28 PM   #41
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
What are some watches comparable to Rolex in quality

I don’t have a GS and had serious look into getting one until I saw the retail price for a diver….

Used market is the way to go.

I had a Seiko 5 that was given to be by my ex girlfriend when I got my first serious job. Is over ten yrs old and I am still wearing it! If Seiko is this durable, I can’t imagine the durability of GS!

Tudor BB GMT is another one to consider. I bought one as daily wear and I believe is it superb quality. Rolex is too flashy for me as a daily wear. And the price of Tudor GMT is pretty affordable for a full function GMT (Rolex owner would agree lol).

Other people have said it, if you are trying to get a watch to avoid getting a Rolex now…. Well, I suggest you just get a Rolex now…. You will never get over the feeling of wanting a rolex!

mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 08:43 PM   #42
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post
Other people have said it, if you are trying to get a watch to avoid getting a Rolex now…. Well, I suggest you just get a Rolex now…. You will never get over the feeling of wanting a rolex!
True.

It’s an emotional point, but valid nonetheless. Rolex has branded itself so successfully and its followers have cultivated so much mystical power around the brand that there’s really nothing else you can buy in that price range that will give you that feeling. I’ve tried. You find yourself thinking, guiltily, “it’s an awesome watch, but… it’s not a Rolex.”

And it’s very very silly. Because Rolex is a mass produced watch that is way overhyped. Their finishing is great but nowhere near the best—Grand Seiko is better. Their movements are reliable but not necessarily the most accurate or innovative and certainly not the best looking—Omega beats them there. Their designs are extremely conservative—compare what Panerai or Glashutte or almost any of the other mid-level luxury brands are doing, including, again, Omega. Rolex has this incomparable synonymity with success and quality, but they’re not really high-end by watchmaking standards. It’s all advertising and puffery. And I’m absolutely susceptible to it. My Rolex is awesome: it’s rugged and well-made and it makes me smile to look at it. And I know every time I do I’m not being entirely rational.

The Speedmaster is, to my mind, an objectively superior watch to a Daytona. Cleaner, less cluttered design, cooler history, better (and better looking) movement, more interesting bracelet, etc. But the market says otherwise. So it goes.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 08:59 PM   #43
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
OP said he has a sub in the first post. That's a Rolex.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 09:01 PM   #44
fareplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
OP said he has a sub in the first post. That's a Rolex.

Yeah I have a 41mm black gold steel sub. I always feel there should be more to this watch for 15k or so and wanted to see what are the more exotic cooler ones I can get to supplement

Old 5 August 2022, 09:44 PM   #45
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I understood that—just wondering if this is an attempt to avoid getting another one by choosing a substitute that’ll never measure up, emotionally. Framing a new watch in terms of Rolex (as an equivalent) could signal that. But maybe not!

FWIW, with your criteria, OP, I’d go Speedmaster without a doubt. Such a fantastic watch. And I’d say Moonwatch with sapphire caseback.
Old 5 August 2022, 09:51 PM   #46
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
True.

It’s an emotional point, but valid nonetheless. Rolex has branded itself so successfully and its followers have cultivated so much mystical power around the brand that there’s really nothing else you can buy in that price range that will give you that feeling. I’ve tried. You find yourself thinking, guiltily, “it’s an awesome watch, but… it’s not a Rolex.”

And it’s very very silly. Because Rolex is a mass produced watch that is way overhyped. Their finishing is great but nowhere near the best—Grand Seiko is better. Their movements are reliable but not necessarily the most accurate or innovative and certainly not the best looking—Omega beats them there. Their designs are extremely conservative—compare what Panerai or Glashutte or almost any of the other mid-level luxury brands are doing, including, again, Omega. Rolex has this incomparable synonymity with success and quality, but they’re not really high-end by watchmaking standards. It’s all advertising and puffery. And I’m absolutely susceptible to it. My Rolex is awesome: it’s rugged and well-made and it makes me smile to look at it. And I know every time I do I’m not being entirely rational.

The Speedmaster is, to my mind, an objectively superior watch to a Daytona. Cleaner, less cluttered design, cooler history, better (and better looking) movement, more interesting bracelet, etc. But the market says otherwise. So it goes.
It's the same mysticism with Patek.
Old 5 August 2022, 09:52 PM   #47
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

An IWC Portuguese might be interesting. A legendary watch in its own right.
Old 5 August 2022, 10:16 PM   #48
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
It's the same mysticism with Patek.
Agreed—at least when it comes to the Nautilus and Aquanaut and the Calatravas with concealed (and undersized) casebacks. PP definitely has some watches in its stable that are worthy of the hype, but they’re not the watches that get hyped. (Plus, who the heck can afford them?) The movement finishing on the hyped sports pieces?—not that amazing, at least not compared to intro VCs (for example). But we digress…
Old 5 August 2022, 11:52 PM   #49
fareplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
An IWC Portuguese might be interesting. A legendary watch in its own right.
This was my top choice but starting to warm up to the glashutte
Old 6 August 2022, 03:40 AM   #50
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Grand Seiko is very high quality. For me, their designs just seem bland and don't do much for me. The one model I really liked was their chronograph, but the pushers and crown are ridiculously long and I didn't love it on my wrist.

JLC, is also very high quality and very undervalued. They make great movements (such that AP, VC, and PP have used them in the past). I tend to favor their Reversos, but some of the newer Polaris watches are quite handsome.

IWC, years ago I liked their offerings more than I do today. But there are still a few pieces I'd probably consider especially if looking at pre-owned models.

Omega is a solid watch, but the only model that would interest me is the Speedy Pro. I owned a Seamaster many years ago and I just didn't love it. Nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't for me.

Cartier - I'd look at the Santos. If you have round watches, this adds some diversity to your collection in terms of shape. I think it's a great value, its very versatile (the "Quickswitch" system makes it very easy to change between a metal bracelet and an alligator, calf, or rubber strap). Several of my friends who have always been Rolex guys, or who own Rolex watches and APs, PP, FPJ's have also been very impressed with these watches and picked them up in the last year or so. One guy who has only owned Rolex Subs and GMTs for 20+ years bought one and said, the Santos is most comfortable watch he has ever owned. I've owned Rolex watches since the mid 80's (still own several), also have VCs, and an AP, and I can say I really like the Santos and it gets a lot of wrist time.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 04:19 AM   #51
DonLee
"TRF" Member

call me a snob, but I'm likely not going to buy another Rolex. They just aren't special enough. That price, yet the watches are just mass produced, and the movements aren't even finished, yet they are charging big retail prices.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 04:30 AM   #52
JRedford
"TRF" Member

As a store of value, my Rolex watches are at the top of the list. When a buy another brand I do it pre-owned and at a significant discount to MSRP.

My Tudor Pleagos keeps the best time of any auto I have ever owned +1 sec week.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:09 AM   #53
fareplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
call me a snob, but I'm likely not going to buy another Rolex. They just aren't special enough. That price, yet the watches are just mass produced, and the movements aren't even finished, yet they are charging big retail prices.

This is partially reason I’m looking elsewhere. The secondary market is driven by artificial scarcity and I’m sure there are better quality watches that I can buy at “market” value

Old 6 August 2022, 05:44 AM   #54
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post

I had a Seiko 5 that was given to be by my ex girlfriend when I got my first serious job. Is over ten yrs old and I am still wearing it! If Seiko is this durable, I can’t imagine the durability of GS!
I have 70 year old King and Grand Seikos that still effortlessly perform to chronometer spec. They’re epic.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:51 AM   #55
ts3
"TRF" Member

1980s and 1990s IWC.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 08:42 AM   #56
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
As direct comparison as a mix of robustness/quality/finishing it has to be Omega, they do some fabulous watches I love the new speedmaster 57 with the sandwich dial the bracelet/clasp looks great as well as previously they were better on a cordura and deployant clasp.
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 09:09 AM   #57
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I have 70 year old King and Grand Seikos that still effortlessly perform to chronometer spec. They’re epic.
You mean 60 years old? GS and KS weren't around in 1952.
Old 6 August 2022, 10:51 AM   #58
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
It's hard to beat Seamaster at the price point you're wanting.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 11:53 AM   #59
77T
2024 Pledge Member

What are some watches comparable to Rolex in quality

I agree with Adam and many others that Grand Seiko has been delivering fine watches comparable to Rolex and anything Swatch Group is churning out.

If you must have Swiss then maybe look into Tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 12:54 PM   #60
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I assume we are talking sport watches...in which case Blancpain (particularly the FF) blows away the sub in terms of finish (speaking from experience on both watches).

If we are talking non-sport watches, Breguet hands down.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote