The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2022, 04:29 PM   #1
Fifteen
Banned

Approx purchase history for 15407ST allocation?

I know there are lots of factors that go into allocations, especially for open worked, but if I only have $100k in purchase history (including hot models like steel ROs), would that at least get me on a “list” so I can get an allocation within 3-5 years? Or would I have to spend way more and exclude any money spent on “hot” references etc?
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 07:38 PM   #2
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Most of their models are "hot" nowadays to some degree or another. Unless you are just collecting multiple Codes and Offshores, you are logically going to be picking up a few hot pieces along the way. What a good SA should be doing anyways is helping you build out a collection within the brand and its several lines that makes sense. Once you have let's say a Code, Offshore, RO or Jumbo, then a 15407 should likely be next in line soon.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 07:44 PM   #3
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
Most of their models are "hot" nowadays to some degree or another. Unless you are just collecting multiple Codes and Offshores, you are logically going to be picking up a few hot pieces along the way. What a good SA should be doing anyways is helping you build out a collection within the brand and its several lines that makes sense. Once you have let's say a Code, Offshore, RO or Jumbo, then a 15407 should likely be next in line soon.
Thanks. Currently I have an ROO and an RO, would it be better to get a code in order to get a 15407 one day? Instead of getting another ROO? Personally, I like offshores more but if eventually I “need” to get a code to get an allocation for an open worked…might as well do that now etc
Old 16 August 2022, 08:01 PM   #4
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
Thanks. Currently I have an ROO and an RO, would it be better to get a code in order to get a 15407 one day? Instead of getting another ROO? Personally, I like offshores more but if eventually I “need” to get a code to get an allocation for an open worked…might as well do that now etc
As it is important to have a diverse collection within the AP brand, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a Code. However, it is impossible to say as only your boutique and SA know for sure in your situation. Some push Codes hard as a first watch, while others respect your taste and only try to sell you what you like. I certainly wouldn't drop 30-50k on a Code if you didn't really like it, but I suggest you schedule an appt with your boutique and try on as many different variations as you can to see if there is one you like. At least this way your SA sees you are truly interested in diversifying but maybe the Codes are just not for you.

That said, I also wouldn't get another ROO just for the sake of spending the money, and its not really adding diversification either. A diver maybe, if you like it. Why not try for a Jumbo or 41mm chrono? I can't stress enough that your best chance for an openwork, QP, etc piece is already having a diverse collection. You need to give them a reason to allocate you a special piece, and already having everything else is the best way to do that. How long the wait will be is another questions...
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 10:22 PM   #5
Mini2
"TRF" Member

I cant even spend ££££ I can only wish of having a 100k spend let alone having watches
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:21 AM   #6
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
there's more data points here
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 10:28 AM   #7
VegasBaby
Banned

Not enough....back in line!!!!!!!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 01:48 PM   #8
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
As it is important to have a diverse collection within the AP brand, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a Code. However, it is impossible to say as only your boutique and SA know for sure in your situation. Some push Codes hard as a first watch, while others respect your taste and only try to sell you what you like. I certainly wouldn't drop 30-50k on a Code if you didn't really like it, but I suggest you schedule an appt with your boutique and try on as many different variations as you can to see if there is one you like. At least this way your SA sees you are truly interested in diversifying but maybe the Codes are just not for you.

That said, I also wouldn't get another ROO just for the sake of spending the money, and its not really adding diversification either. A diver maybe, if you like it. Why not try for a Jumbo or 41mm chrono? I can't stress enough that your best chance for an openwork, QP, etc piece is already having a diverse collection. You need to give them a reason to allocate you a special piece, and already having everything else is the best way to do that. How long the wait will be is another questions...

Thanks for the advice. I would love to have a jumbo or a chrono. I assumed those were more desirable than roo in general so I thought it would hurt me by getting a jumbo etc. but if that’s not the Case, I would love to get a jumbo, chrono, and an open worked. In terms of material, would I need to show diversity in terms of PM as well? Obviously codes are all PM so that would check that box, but if I stick with roo and ro, and they are all steel or titanium, is that a bad thing? Or would I need to diversify and get PM?

I currently have a khaki 15720st and blue 15510st. Got both this year and very fortunate to have gotten either / both this year. Was told by my SA I should get the titanium music edition at some point (I assume this year since it’s a limited release). But wondering what I should aim for after that and if a 15407st was a reasonable ask. Sounds like it’s not though. I definitely wouldn’t mind a jumbo or a chrono ro in the interim.
Old 17 August 2022, 03:02 PM   #9
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
No need to buy a Code if it's not something you want. You're SA obviously likes you already. Sit down and have a conversation about expanding your collection.

They like diversity and having an RO and ROO already checks the minimum boxes IMO. Getting a profile made for your spouse and requesting a watch under that profile will go a long ways. You are better off getting something for the wife than buying something you wouldn't like anyway.

I've been collecting AP's for a long time, but never from a boutique. My wife and I already had a few ROO's and an RO Chrono prior to starting my relationship with my BT. I purchased a 42m ROO Chrono from them in rose gold. Then came the 15500st RO and a 50th 15551st RO for the wife under her profile. Shortly after, went through the approval process for the 26574st RO QP and got that. I was originally asking for a 50th RO Chrono in green, but switched to the 50th 16202st when an open spot came up. It should be later this year. My SA feels I shouldn't have a problem getting approved.

All in all, a 15500st RO, 15551st 50th RO, and a 26574st QP RO all this year with the Jumbo still due. I originally asked for a 15407st openworked for next year, but I recently changed my ask to the CE version.

I believe that between my diversity between ROO/RO and the addition of my wife's profile made it all possible. Having said that, I think the addition of my wife's profile had a bigger impact.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:21 PM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Just saw a used one listed for $143k, which seems almost reasonable after some of the recent madness. If this trend continues, maybe this will relieve some of the pressure at the boutiques.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:52 PM   #11
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Just saw a used one listed for $143k, which seems almost reasonable after some of the recent madness. If this trend continues, maybe this will relieve some of the pressure at the boutiques.
it'll PROBABLY BE LESS NEXT WEEK
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 11:11 PM   #12
seadubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
whered you see that
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 11:49 PM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadubs View Post
whered you see that
Japanese dealer on C24.
Old 18 August 2022, 03:34 AM   #14
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

The 2016 or 2019 one?

Both up for c. £158,000 compared to the RRP of £59,400 here in the UK.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2022, 05:36 PM   #15
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
The 2016 or 2019 one?

Both up for c. £158,000 compared to the RRP of £59,400 here in the UK.

The one I referred to was a preowned 2019 or 2020, IIRC, that was listed by a Japanese dealer for USD 143.9k. The listing was gone within a day. Given the large gap to the next cheapest listing, maybe it was a quick sale. I’ll continue to try my luck at the boutique, so didn’t inquire further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
Old 19 August 2022, 06:37 PM   #16
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
The one I referred to was a preowned 2019 or 2020, IIRC, that was listed by a Japanese dealer for USD 143.9k. The listing was gone within a day. Given the large gap to the next cheapest listing, maybe it was a quick sale. I’ll continue to try my luck at the boutique, so didn’t inquire further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understood.

I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait (within reason) to get a brand new one from your Boutique. Best of luck in your quest.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote