The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 September 2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Corrosion on the case?

I sent my 1985 Datejust stainless in for service and just heard back via a message from the AD that the case and back are "corroded" and need to be replaced. Total cost for the service including replacing the case and back is 2400.... I'm a bit confused about how the case can be corroded. The watch hasn't been in a corrosive environment that I know of, and I've owned it since it was new. Any thoughts or experience with this situation? Also, I never notice any corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6429.jpg (100.6 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6430.jpg (114.0 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6431.jpg (125.2 KB, 848 views)
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 12:06 PM   #2
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Do you sweat?
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
I would get a second opinion before I shell out 2400 dollars. Who did you send it to for service? Have you already comitted to the service and parts?
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Recommended replacement and required replacement are two different things.. If the AD sent it to the RSC they are making the decision, not you..

Casebacks do corrode, usually by the flexing of the gasket, which removes the Stainless protective oxide just enough for the acids and oils to begin their corrosive process. It is the most common reason for case replacements.

Last edited by Tools; 7 September 2015 at 03:10 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

It is at the RSC... I have definitely sweated while wearing it, I wear it hard. I certainly don't see any corrosion. I'm not committed to anything yet, if they will just do the regular service I'll be happy, I'm not sure yet if they are insisting on doing the complete repair or just recommending.
Old 2 September 2015, 05:01 PM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
The pitting is usually between the caseback "lip" and the case, it is only visible when you remove the caseback. If it is severe the watch will not pass a pressure test.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 05:54 PM   #7
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

The corrosion is probably inside the case where the gasket sits... this is where most case corrosion takes place...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2015, 10:40 PM   #8
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

So how does this happen? The watch was worn hard from 85-96, and only sporadically since...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 September 2015, 10:45 PM   #9
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Then of course I need to evaluate the cost. $2400 for a thirty year old watch typically wouldn't be justified, but this will essentially be a new watch....

Old 2 September 2015, 10:46 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Recommenced replacement and required replacement are two different things.. If the AD sent it to the RSC they are making the decision, not you..

Casebacks do corrode, usually by the flexing of the gasket, which removes the Stainless protective oxide just enough for the acids and oils to begin their corrosive process. It is the most common reason for case replacements.
Interesting information Larry
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2015, 04:06 AM   #11
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

They will not service the watch unless I replace the back and the case. I'm ranting a bit and waiting to hear from someone at Rolex. As I've pointed out this watch was only worn regularly for 11 years. It has not been in a corrosive environment and it was serviced by the factory shortly before going into semi retirement. I'm pretty frustrated, I've purchased three brand new Rolexs in my life and am considering buying one for my son's college graduation.
Old 3 September 2015, 04:49 AM   #12
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Thirty years. When was the last time it was serviced? Was it ever serviced?
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2015, 05:03 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Recommenced replacement and required replacement are two different things.. If the AD sent it to the RSC they are making the decision, not you..

and yet some swear 904l is just marketing
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2015, 01:28 PM   #14
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

What is 904l?

Old 3 September 2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

It was serviced in the nineties by Rolex shortly before going into semi retirement.

Old 3 September 2015, 05:40 PM   #16
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
What is 904l?
It is a type of steel. Rolex used to use a type called 316 like everyone else and then they changed to 904l some years ago. I do not know when they changed, your watch is most likely still made of 316.

The main differences between the two types of steel is the corrosion resistance, 904l is much less prone to pitting and is also more resistant to acids and chlorine environments.

Sweat is quite corrosive and what you typically get in a watch is pitting in the steel between the lugs and under the caseback where the gasket sits. Pitting under the caseback can if it is bad mean that you loose water resistance.
Old 4 September 2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Even more bad news, I talked to my AD again today and he let me know that my 96 GMT is also 316.... so, same sweat, same steel, I'm guessing that I'll have the same issue with the GMT as well....
Old 4 September 2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

How often do you clean or rinse your watch in fresh water?

I rinse my watch in fresh water if I have been swimming or gotten sweaty. I also clean it a little more thorough about once per month. This is what is recommended in the care instructions.
Old 4 September 2015, 08:51 PM   #19
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

At least weekly

Old 7 September 2015, 03:04 AM   #20
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Clearly in this case, once a week is not enough. more often is probably necessary.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 03:17 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
Even more bad news, I talked to my AD again today and he let me know that my 96 GMT is also 316.... so, same sweat, same steel, I'm guessing that I'll have the same issue with the GMT as well....
They all exhibit some corrosion, only a few get so bad that they need replacement.

If the DJ were mine I might decline the service and have them send it back. Then I would seek the services of one of the excellent independents to clean, oil, and adjust your watch. You likely don't need water resistance to the 100 meters that Rolex requires to warranty the watch after service.

of course, if they show me a picture that shows absolute destruction of the mating surface I may reconsider.
Old 7 September 2015, 06:29 AM   #22
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

I'm waiting to hear back from a customer service manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2015, 07:25 AM   #23
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Everyone has different body skin acids some more corrosive than others, I had an 85 year old customer with a gold midsize dj and had to have his tube and crown replaced every six months because they were for lack of a better term welded together from sweat. I'm working on a seadweller at the moment that has deep pits in the gasket groove so laser weld then on the lathe to regroove the gasket trench. All in a days work. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 09:07 AM   #24
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
It is a type of steel. Rolex used to use a type called 316 like everyone else and then they changed to 904l some years ago. I do not know when they changed, your watch is most likely still made of 316.

The main differences between the two types of steel is the corrosion resistance, 904l is much less prone to pitting and is also more resistant to acids and chlorine environments.

Sweat is quite corrosive and what you typically get in a watch is pitting in the steel between the lugs and under the caseback where the gasket sits. Pitting under the caseback can if it is bad mean that you loose water resistance.
I thought atleast on Submariners this happened around 1987 (16800/168000/16610 transition)?
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 11:15 PM   #25
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I serviced a 1980 datejust exactly like the one in your picture 3 years ago and the gasket groove was pitted badly to the point that I bet it would not pass a pressure test.

I ended up buying the watch last week as the owner has some sort of built in magnetism in his body that stops the watch. It runs perfectly on my arm where it is now.

I wore it one day and a link fell out. I picked it up and discovered that the pins were corroded in half! Whoever owned it prior to my friend buying it had battery acid for sweat.

Some stainless series have better anti corrosion properties than others. 300 series is a non magnetic composition that can't be heat treated but can be hardened some by cold working, which in turn can impart some slight magnetisim into the metal. It is corrosion resistant, while 400 series is a corrosion resistant but magnetic composition that CAN be heat treated and is what I use for knife bolsters.

Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a few links for this jubilee or a whole other bracelet since there is bound to be more corrosion. Conversely, I had a 47 year old GMT that I wore for 20 years and there is no corrosion whatsoever on it anywhere. I got good sweat...
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 07:44 PM   #26
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

I would start rinsing your watches daily !

I'm sure that case is still very servicable. Doesnt look that bad but I dont see any pics of the back.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 07:58 PM   #27
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex switched from 316 to 904L in 2001, so the watch in this case is made of 316.
The pitting resistance of 904L is much higher than 316 (26 vs 36 PREN).
The real reason Rolex switched from 316 to 904L is not very clear. Maybe its a combination of better anti corrosion and advantages of polishing 904L vs 316.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 01:40 AM   #28
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman79 View Post
Rolex switched from 316 to 904L in 2001, so the watch in this case is made of 316.
The real reason Rolex switched from 316 to 904L is not very clear. Maybe its a combination of better anti corrosion and advantages of polishing 904L vs 316.
What serial no?
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 09:55 AM   #29
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman79 View Post
I was under the impression Rolex changed to 904L on Submariners in the late 1980's. I own a T serial 1996 16613 and I'm pretty sure the case is 904L. Maybe not necessarily the bracelet though. I'm sure someone can chime in on the transition years.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 10:01 AM   #30
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

This source says started in 1985 for the case with it being used for everything by 2006: http://www.fourtane.com/fourtane-blo...-steel-is-real

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote