The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2019, 08:03 AM   #1
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE Explorer
Can I be a True Watch Fan (Collector) if I don't l like Patek Philippe?

So I have loved watches ever since I was a kid, when I was young pre-teen and teenager I would wear inexpensive watches like Bulova, Citizens Seiko, Casio, Guess etc.

As I got older and was able to earn a living I moved onto Tag, Omega, Rolex, Ulysses Nardin etc.

I like but I don't own (yet) some AP, A. Lange etc. models. But I am always clicking Patek sale listing on this form and never see anything that makes me fall instantly in love.

Is this something wrong with me? Am I missing that part of brain that love Patek? Maybe an older model I haven't seen yet? Or am I just not a true watch fan or WIS?
Old 29 November 2019, 08:53 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think it has more validity if you experience Patek and then you form your opinion/conclusion that is not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 08:56 AM   #3
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Taste differ and there are many great watches that are not PP (even at the high-end). So buy the watches that really "sing" to you and not the watches everyone else fancy or rate. That is the best way to play the WIS game. Pateks are great watches but they come with specific aesthetics and brand values which might not appeal to you. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty other watches to enjoy.

Perhaps one day a specific PP reference will actually sing to you, but until then you should follow your heart and perhaps go for other high-end brands such as the one you mention (AP or Lange) - or perhaps even have a look at some of the indie brands that operate at a level of hand-made finishing and quality that even PP can't beat (e.g. Grönefeld brothers, Urban Jürgensen, Laurent Ferrier, FPJ etc.)
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 10:47 AM   #4
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
No, delete your account.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think Patek needs to be experienced ; not with photos.

The nuances and finishing are very very special and you like them more as you own em
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 11:30 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
To answer your question, NO. To reach the level of an ascended being - the highest degree of horological enthusiasm - one simply must be enamored of Patek. To steal the motto of another iconic brand, there is no substitute.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
What is the reason that keeps you clicking onto the Patek sales listing?

Is it purely due to branding? Or have you been drawn by some Patek images you have seen but never registered properly? Or is it just by word of mouth?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 12:10 PM   #8
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Once you try on any Patek timepiece in person you will quickly find out why its quality and workmanship are second to none. Pictures don't do any Patek timepiece justice you need try them on in person.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 12:27 PM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
So I have loved watches ever since I was a kid, when I was young pre-teen and teenager I would wear inexpensive watches like Bulova, Citizens Seiko, Casio, Guess etc.

As I got older and was able to earn a living I moved onto Tag, Omega, Rolex, Ulysses Nardin etc.

I like but I don't own (yet) some AP, A. Lange etc. models. But I am always clicking Patek sale listing on this form and never see anything that makes me fall instantly in love.

Is this something wrong with me? Am I missing that part of brain that love Patek? Maybe an older model I haven't seen yet? Or am I just not a true watch fan or WIS?
You can be a watch enthusiast and collect Tags, Omega, Rolex and UN as you have. If you are a serious collector, at some stage in your watch collecting journey, you will visit and try on the big 3 - Patek, AP and VC. If you decide after you have tried them on, you are not interested in them, there is nothing lost and you can continue to enjoy the watches you own. There is no set rule saying that one has to own a Patek to be a serious watch collector. In fact, a large number of people in the Rolex sub-forum will say they will never own a Patek for x,y,z reasons. But as others have suggested, go into an AD or a pre-owned watch store and try them on.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 12:56 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Nope
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:04 PM   #11
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
What is the reason that keeps you clicking onto the Patek sales listing?

Is it purely due to branding? Or have you been drawn by some Patek images you have seen but never registered properly? Or is it just by word of mouth?
Cause I like VC, AP etc pieces but I can't find a Patek I like. Only drawn because everyone treats Patek like holy grail.
Old 29 November 2019, 01:08 PM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Nope.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:12 PM   #13
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Of course. PP is a brand, sure they are to most the pinnacle but there are many very fine watch and watch companies in the market place. If PP doesn’t sing to you then so be it, something else will and will bring you just as much joy as a PP will to someone else. It’s subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Cause I like VC, AP etc pieces but I can't find a Patek I like. Only drawn because everyone treats Patek like holy grail.
Maybe the Patek design language doesn't speak to you.

I think that's fine. Everyone has their preference.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Depends on if you are simply a brand name enthusiast, or an enthusiast of watches/time pieces, and all that they entail.

If it is the latter, brand name is less important, and you only take notice of brands to understand their unique qualities. You don't ever need to want one to be able to appreciate/compare these qualities.
Old 29 November 2019, 01:38 PM   #16
Josh1000
Banned

Tastes differ....I have walked into an AP boutique once That was only at request of fellow TRFer
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
There’s a lot of great brands for you to explore. Nixon, Invicta, and Graham just to name a few
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:58 PM   #18
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
There are collectors who collect only one mfg. There are collectors who collect early timepieces. Others focus on military watches. A collection does not have to have a Patek Philippe to make a good collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 02:20 PM   #19
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Exactly- if you don't enjoy a brand there are many great ones out there you can explore.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 02:39 PM   #20
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
There’s a lot of great brands for you to explore. Nixon, Invicta, and Graham just to name a few
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 04:25 PM   #21
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
There is a Youtube video of a truly atrocious watch that alleges to be an homage to an Invicta. It gives meaning to the word hideous. I weep for what this world is becoming if even Invicta is being knocked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 05:38 PM   #22
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Can I be a True Watch Fan (Collector) if I don't l like Patek Philippe?

I find myself having a hard time to like Pateks traditional watches too, or rather I like Lange so much more. Having said that I would prefer a Nautilus over Odysseys (not seen in person yet).

But have to admit there is a certain je ne sais quoi in Pateks. Will probably get one some day if not just to have tried owning one.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 06:35 PM   #23
Mike Jab
Banned

No.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 06:47 PM   #24
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Of course you can, you don't have to like everything. Personally not a fan of most of the "Higher end" watch houses.

Do i care what people think, nope not one little bit.

Collect or admire what you want to collect or admire, for yourself and nobody else.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 08:05 PM   #25
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
My experience , I bought a 5066 20 years ago after my rolex thing. I bought it because I wanted the best. That all I bought it for ! I put it on and was underwhelmed for along time. I wore my 5066 24/7 because I sold everything to get it. Well as time went on I slowly researched the 5066 and Patek. From the history of the aquanaut to Patek history I did this for years and still do. I learn something everyday. I dig into every detail into the reference and the manufacture. So I did everything backwards . I knew nothing of the brand or why it Patek was the best. The only thing I knew I like the 5066 looks and felt on my wrist. So sometimes watch collecting and watch admiring can come from different angles! I have a small collection of a few rolexes know but that damn little Aquanaunt gets 95percent of my wrist time. I learned to love Patek The details,the craftsmanship and the functionality to me are the best. Took me 20 years and still going !!!!
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 01:48 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not important it is just one of many brands.
Old 30 November 2019, 02:15 AM   #27
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
Once you try on any Patek timepiece in person you will quickly find out why its quality and workmanship are second to none. Pictures don't do any Patek timepiece justice you need try them on in person.
I did this 2 times, last time tried on the 5170G black. The other time I can't even remember the watches, there were a few. A Calatrava and something sportier in Rose gold.
Left underwhelmed.

To me, what your wrote, is true for Grand Seiko though. From what you see on the wrist (so not movement finish or decoration) they are far more detailed and finished that any other watch.

But there is hope for me, last Baselworld Patek launched a watch I truly like from pictures. Have it on order and if it 'sings' to me I'll take it home.
Old 30 November 2019, 02:22 AM   #28
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
I did this 2 times, last time tried on the 5170G black. The other time I can't even remember the watches, there were a few. A Calatrava and something sportier in Rose gold.
Left underwhelmed.

To me, what your wrote, is true for Grand Seiko though. From what you see on the wrist (so not movement finish or decoration) they are far more detailed and finished that any other watch.

But there is hope for me, last Baselworld Patek launched a watch I truly like from pictures. Have it on order and if it 'sings' to me I'll take it home.
you must be a great customer to be able to order a watch and then have the choice to decline! or does the dealer have a watch on order
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 02:26 AM   #29
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Yes.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 03:29 AM   #30
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

No.

I like PP but at the same price point I ended up with ALS and soon FP Journe. PP resale is great but I feel like I get more horological bang for buck with ALS or FP Journe.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote