The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2021, 02:02 PM   #91
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I almost jumped into GME this morning but held off since I just can’t see the value of the actual company

BB I am ok with, they got some big stuff coming down the pipe

I did and escaped with my shirt afterhours. I do not have diamond hands as the kids on Reddit say lol

I still made a few grand but peanuts compared to what I was up within 5 mins of opening the position lol

I see the whole angle and I think it’s a riot but there is just way too much f#%^ery going on for me.

Think or Swim was fairly good today. I heard others had trouble.
Old 29 January 2021, 02:53 PM   #92
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I did and escaped with my shirt afterhours. I do not have diamond hands as the kids on Reddit say lol

I still made a few grand but peanuts compared to what I was up within 5 mins of opening the position lol

I see the whole angle and I think it’s a riot but there is just way too much f#%^ery going on for me.

Think or Swim was fairly good today. I heard others had trouble.
Here he is. Good for him. Seems like a nice dude in his youtube videos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urban-dad.html

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 03:42 PM   #93
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I noticed one of the large GME investors is the CEO of Chewy.
Coincidence??? I think not. Caught you "Chewbacca." If that's your real name.
Can’t prove anything.

This exhibit is closed!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 07:04 PM   #94
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
I got one free stock when I signed up with Robinhood and it happened to be GameStop lol. I think it was worth like $1.30 something when I got it. Did not hear about this whole squeeze so I had no idea until I logged into Robinhood last night and saw it was at $311. It’s the only stock I have. Wondering if it could climb or if I should just count it as a free $300 and dump it now.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 07:36 PM   #95
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I often look on WSB, maybe it's my age, but when buying and selling trending stocks it was a useful resource.

Yesterday was a moment for the history books though. The shorts knew they were in trouble, and still are. If enough people buy GME stock, the price will go parabolic, causing them to loose billions, on top of the billions they have already lost. But yesterday, Trading212 and Robinhood prevented everyday people buying GME shares, thus temporarily saving them, and making the everyday people loose millions.

This in my opinion is completely unacceptable, and I am sure illegal. Personally I lost money, but nothing compared to some, one person lost over 10 million yesterday, and he wasn't the only one. For once the everyday people were beating wall street, at their own game... so to stop this, the rules of the game were changed.

From here, WSB community are angry, but only going to buy more stock using other platforms... This is too good of an opportunity to let go. Watch the stock over the next 72 hours, there is going to be a lot of money made for some people, and I don't think it will be the hedge funds.
Old 29 January 2021, 07:38 PM   #96
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
I often look on WSB, maybe it's my age, but when buying and selling trending stocks it was a useful resource.

Yesterday was a moment for the history books though. The shorts knew they were in trouble, and still are. If enough people buy GME stock, the price will go parabolic, causing them to loose billions, on top of the billions they have already lost. But yesterday, Trading212 and Robinhood prevented everyday people buying GME shares, thus temporarily saving them, and making the everyday people loose millions.

This in my opinion is completely unacceptable, and I am sure illegal. Personally I lost money, but nothing compared to some, one person lost over 10 million yesterday, and he wasn't the only one. For once the everyday people were beating wall street, at their own game... so to stop this, the rules of the game were changed.

From here, WSB community are angry, but only going to buy more stock using other platforms... This is too good of an opportunity to let go. Watch the stock over the next 72 hours, there is going to be a lot of money made for some people, and I don't think it will be the hedge funds.

You think I should sit on the one stock I have for GME for now?
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 07:44 PM   #97
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
So you should always do your own research... but have you seen the pre market? Up 100%, I am keeping my stock and holding for now, but closely watching.

Google the "VW short squeeze chart", GME is no different, except a lot more people are buying in, which potentially will get this even higher. But no one knows for sure
Old 29 January 2021, 08:26 PM   #98
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Opened a small position in GME. That’ s not to make a quick buck but just to stand next to lil guys in solidarity. Happy to see my cash disappear
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 08:45 PM   #99
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you can't answer this question yourself, you should probably not be investing in the first place
Old 29 January 2021, 09:11 PM   #100
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think both networks have different commentaries but they are seemingly coming to consistent conclusions.

The story that collusion is occurring by a small number of anonymous sources (that are stirring up a retail investor mob) seem to be working this situation.

It could be a true crowd sourced innocent effort - but even innocent motives can still cross the line into a high-tech illegal activity. If nothing else, the professional regulators are learning where some holes exist in the rules for the markets they “protect”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Isn't this all small potatoes, ultimately? The entire market cap of GME, at it's peak, was only $26 billion. TSLA, AAPL, AMZN, NFLX, NVDA and a host of other companies move that much every day. If a few hedge funds are wiped out due to poorly understood bets on GME, so what? If a small brokerage house is bankrupted or has a liquidity squeeze the Fed or Treasury steps in and provides a loan till they can be shut down and the accounts they had are transferred to a different company. Big Deal.
Isn't being short options on stocks an enormously risky affair and don't Ivy League educated MBAs know this? If their hedge fund investors are wiped out because of misunderstood risk assessment isn't that just part of the process?
We go through these "teaching moments" every few years and we should be grateful that this one, while highly visible, is, monetarily, tiny. Yeah, a lot of small speculators will get burned being long GME before it's all over but that could have happened if you owned GE, C, KHC etc.

Last edited by cascavel; 29 January 2021 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: correct numbers
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 09:30 PM   #101
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I almost jumped into GME this morning but held off since I just can’t see the value of the actual company

BB I am ok with, they got some big stuff coming down the pipe
Oh geeze Wayne ... don’t get me starting on our dear BB. A once long time suffering shareholder from the early 2000’s, I watched it ride from the low teens all the way up to the 140’s and then right back down again.

The problem with BB is that they don’t make money. I have a difficult time investing in companies that don’t have a clear path to profitability.

Yes, many tech companies take years to grow out their business but Blackberry has been at this a long, long time, and they are in a reinventing stage. For me it’s a wait and see story.

FWIW the company has a -38% return on equity and the highest analyst price target on the stock is $10.91 - roughly a 65% downside. I’d be careful with this one.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 09:48 PM   #102
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

GameStop short selling and Reddit

Agreed @ cascaval

There can be additional counter party risks (MF Global) but I doubt this is one of those that will go too far. A few hedge funds (which have already closed positions, gotten capital infusions or both). Citadel? Doubt it.

More annoying to hear the media (and threads) salivating over “David vs Goliath,” “sticking it to the man” or “Main Street takes it to Wall Street.”

Complete nonsense...

I believe it’s naive to think there aren’t institutions on the long side of these trades. If nothing else, the HFT firms are swarming over orders in GME, as well as plenty others. Everyone wanted “free.”

But I digress...

Last edited by FLGatorM5; 29 January 2021 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Didn’t quote.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 10:35 PM   #103
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Isn't this all small potatoes, ultimately? The entire market cap of GME, at it's peak, was only $26 billion. TSLA, AAPL, AMZN, NFLX, NVDA and a host of other companies move that much every day. If a few hedge funds are wiped out due to poorly understood bets on GME, so what? If a small brokerage house is bankrupted or has a liquidity squeeze the Fed or Treasury steps in and provides a loan till they can be shut down and the accounts they had are transferred to a different company. Big Deal.
Isn't being short options on stocks an enormously risky affair and don't Ivy League educated MBAs know this? If their hedge fund investors are wiped out because of misunderstood risk assessment isn't that just part of the process?
We go through these "teaching moments" every few years and we should be grateful that this one, while highly visible, is, monetarily, tiny. Yeah, a lot of small speculators will get burned being long GME before it's all over but that could have happened if you owned GE, C, KHC etc.
Of course it is. You cant short squeeze a 2 trillion dollar stock lol. The short interest isnt high enough. Maybe in 30 years when a trillion is like 1 billion you can.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 29 January 2021, 11:16 PM   #104
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:
I got one free stock when I signed up with Robinhood and it happened to be GameStop lol. I think it was worth like $1.30 something when I got it. Did not hear about this whole squeeze so I had no idea until I logged into Robinhood last night and saw it was at $311. It’s the only stock I have. Wondering if it could climb or if I should just count it as a free $300 and dump it now.

I’d sell now at that profit increase %, but that’s just me. I got in AMC at 6.75, but I sold at $22. That was a big enough jump for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 11:43 PM   #105
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Oh geeze Wayne ... don’t get me starting on our dear BB. A once long time suffering shareholder from the early 2000’s, I watched it ride from the low teens all the way up to the 140’s and then right back down again.

The problem with BB is that they don’t make money. I have a difficult time investing in companies that don’t have a clear path to profitability.

Yes, many tech companies take years to grow out their business but Blackberry has been at this a long, long time, and they are in a reinventing stage. For me it’s a wait and see story.

FWIW the company has a -38% return on equity and the highest analyst price target on the stock is $10.91 - roughly a 65% downside. I’d be careful with this one.
Thanks Brian!

I should have said I think all 3 are very speculative (GME, AMC, BB) but I wanted in on the action and felt BB was the safest bet. Just some fun money
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 11:53 PM   #106
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thanks Brian!

I should have said I think all 3 are very speculative (GME, AMC, BB) but I wanted in on the action and felt BB was the safest bet. Just some fun money

I get that for sure. As long as there’s a buyer for the stock at a higher price than you paid, your golden
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:01 AM   #107
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I get that for sure. As long as there’s a buyer for the stock at a higher price than you paid, your golden
what is funny is bitcoin's 6,500 move just now is greater than all those stock moves combined. 121 billion in about 6 hours.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:02 AM   #108
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I agree the GME market cap scale was not a systemic risk to the overall market. It’s like graffiti on rail cars - won’t affect how the trains run.

Regulators are the ones who will decide as well as everyone who chooses to “see what they want to see” in this Reddit squeeze.

The media shrieking was nauseating

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:03 AM   #109
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
Agreed @ cascaval

There can be additional counter party risks (MF Global) but I doubt this is one of those that will go too far. A few hedge funds (which have already closed positions, gotten capital infusions or both). Citadel? Doubt it.

More annoying to hear the media (and threads) salivating over “David vs Goliath,” “sticking it to the man” or “Main Street takes it to Wall Street.”

Complete nonsense...

I believe it’s naive to think there aren’t institutions on the long side of these trades. If nothing else, the HFT firms are swarming over orders in GME, as well as plenty others. Everyone wanted “free.”

But I digress...
Hadn't even thought about the HFT folks. They should be making a fortune.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #110
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Here he is. Good for him. Seems like a nice dude in his youtube videos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urban-dad.html

My understanding was as a FA you couldn’t do this sort of thing. Idk
Old 30 January 2021, 12:10 AM   #111
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My understanding was as a FA you couldn’t do this sort of thing. Idk
he quit but unsure when. even if he loses his license it wont matter.

but i doubt he will. telling someone to buy a stock while holding the stock and disclosing it with no ill intent is not an issue for him.

however, if i were him i would move and change my name just to avoid all the media and such.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:11 AM   #112
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
When all is said and done, the pain will be concentrated on retail investors. This will not have a happy ending.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:26 AM   #113
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
When all is said and done, the pain will be concentrated on retail investors. This will not have a happy ending.

I’m guessing Melvin is completely f’d but I’m not willing to bet on it. Also guessing people will lose confidence in HF across the board.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #114
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m guessing Melvin is completely f’d but I’m not willing to bet on it. Also guessing people will lose confidence in HF across the board.
Greed trumps common sense on the long term.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:43 AM   #115
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Melvin isn't f'd, its investors are. And its investors are typically public pension funds. As for people losing confidence in HF's across the board? Highly doubt it. LTCM didn't do it, 2008/09 didn't do it, this isn't going to do it either. I mean would you leave Pershing because of what happened to Melvin?
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:47 AM   #116
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Melvin isn't f'd, its investors are. And its investors are typically public pension funds. As for people losing confidence in HF's across the board? Highly doubt it. LTCM didn't do it, 2008/09 didn't do it, this isn't going to do it either. I mean would you leave Pershing because of what happened to Melvin?

Gains will always be chased. HFs aren't going anywhere.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:51 AM   #117
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
I'm in the same boat here. I think many retails investors aren't differentiating between real life and video games/instagram/facebook. This is not a game anymore and I'm afraid many will be left looking at empy bank accounts. If some HF managers have to go away because of poorly placed bets, so be it, but group-think "investing" for the sole purpose of ousting hedge funds will become very painful very quickly.

End of day - GME is still garbage and worth 10$. You can pump it to $1k, as soon as the top starts selling, ain't no one buying til it hits the bottom. Sooner or later, that time will come (sooner, IMO)
Old 30 January 2021, 12:51 AM   #118
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
but i doubt he will. telling someone to buy a stock while holding the stock and disclosing it with no ill intent is not an issue for him.

A pump and dump federal charge could of securities fraud could arise due to the fact that he held the stock. In those cases, intent can be construed as “should have known”. After all, he was on the opposite side of the short interest.

Maybe no incarceration, but the financial penalty (if found guilty) could include confiscation of his gains. Bankruptcy beckons. Feel sorry for the family.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:57 AM   #119
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A pump and dump federal charge could of securities fraud could arise due to the fact that he held the stock. In those cases, intent can be construed as “should have known”. After all, he was on the opposite side of the short interest.

Maybe no incarceration, but the financial penalty (if found guilty) could include confiscation of his gains. Bankruptcy beckons. Feel sorry for the family.

the guy was long the stock for a year and a half and he still owns it.

this isnt martin shkrelli.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 30 January 2021, 01:00 AM   #120
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:

Agreed! I think the big deal will come afterwards, when people start asking "How did we end up in this position?".

Even though GameStop is a drop in the financial ocean, I think there is vested interest by HF's involved in 'winning' this trade in order to paint retail as reckless and avoid transparency.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote