The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 August 2017, 12:15 AM   #1
watchlover2016
"TRF" Member

Rolex 'Tru-Beat' 6556 caliber 1040

The Rolex Tru-Beat 6556 represents an exclusive model of the Rolex range, both for its specific characteristics and its rarity.
Aesthetically similar to an Oyster Perpetual, this model is distinguished by its dead seconds complication of the 1040 calibre movement (based on the 1030 calibre): this function makes the seconds hand move forward in small jumps instead of sweeping, allowing a better visualisation of the seconds.
The Tru-Beat reference 6556 was produced in steel and 18kt gold (yellow and rose) with a standard or Metroplitan dial with Dauphine hands. Only some models have a red seconds hand.
The Tru-Beat appeared on the market for the first time in 1954 and went out of production in 1959, without being replaced. The problems with the fragile 1040 calibre were sometimes resolved by removing the dead seconds function and bringing it in line with the classic 1030 calibre.
The model was produced in a limited number of pieces, both for its elegant design and its restricted success, characteristics that add to its appeal for collectors.
I have been brought a Rolex Tru-Beat 5665 (caliber 1040) for repairing. As you can presume the inside bit that makes the watch a Tru-beat has been removed (probably by a Rolex dealer) and I intend to bring it back to its original condition. I have looked all over the market for the missing links with no luck. Do you think you could have them or know of someone who does. Please let me know / Regards
watchlover2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:34 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

You should post a WTB in the sales section of this forum.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:32 AM   #3
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchlover2016 View Post
The Rolex Tru-Beat 6556 represents an exclusive model of the Rolex range, both for its specific characteristics and its rarity.
Aesthetically similar to an Oyster Perpetual, this model is distinguished by its dead seconds complication of the 1040 calibre movement (based on the 1030 calibre): this function makes the seconds hand move forward in small jumps instead of sweeping, allowing a better visualisation of the seconds.
The Tru-Beat reference 6556 was produced in steel and 18kt gold (yellow and rose) with a standard or Metroplitan dial with Dauphine hands. Only some models have a red seconds hand.
The Tru-Beat appeared on the market for the first time in 1954 and went out of production in 1959, without being replaced. The problems with the fragile 1040 calibre were sometimes resolved by removing the dead seconds function and bringing it in line with the classic 1030 calibre.
The model was produced in a limited number of pieces, both for its elegant design and its restricted success, characteristics that add to its appeal for collectors.
I have been brought a Rolex Tru-Beat 5665 (caliber 1040) for repairing. As you can presume the inside bit that makes the watch a Tru-beat has been removed (probably by a Rolex dealer) and I intend to bring it back to its original condition. I have looked all over the market for the missing links with no luck. Do you think you could have them or know of someone who does. Please let me know / Regards
Actually the Tru-Beat was produced also up into 1961 as 6558 with the calibre 1040. They do not have Tru-Beat on the dial necessarily and some are "Precision" models. These have a daytona like seconds hand with a pointer on the end. I have one that is completely original except it too is missing the seconds mechanism. I happened to have the parts. The main issue that you will find...EVEN if you are so lucky to find the parts and be prepared to pay THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for the parts as a friend just bought a set, there is a pivot on the train bridge that the auxiliary pallet or anchor rides on that must be removed when the watch is changed over to normal seconds. This part is seemingly always discarded or it must be destroyed to be removed because both sets of parts that I have found do not have it. Some watchmaker will have to fabricate this part. Without one to go by this can be an involved process.

Just be assured one gentleman searched for over 11 years...I believe until he found a working 1040 to put into his watch. He never found a set of parts...but rather had to buy a complete working movement.

This could be a long project. I waited for years to find a good watch to go with m parts only to realize that I am missing the pivot and that my seconds pinion will have to be re-pivoted to hold the seconds hand as the tip is broken off.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote