The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2017, 04:35 AM   #1
rolexamerica
"TRF" Member

Looking for wisdom from Rolex owners

Hi guys, I am working on a creative project that talks about how Rolex plays a role in father and son relationship, my personal history with Rolex has been that my father introduced me to the Rolex brand when I was about 16 years old, passed on his GMT to me when I was 25, then I eventually purchased my first Sub at 31 years old. I love Rolex because of the history, the craftsmanship, durability and look, had my father never owned one I would probably never been interested in one.
A watch is purchased, gifted, or passed on for many reasons, my question is in regards to Rolex specifically, on a father and son relationship.
Why do you feel a Rolex is passed on?
If passed on, do you wear it?
How has a Rolex played a role in your life when talking about father and son?

Thank you so much for the information.
rolexamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 05:44 AM   #2
BristolCavendish
Banned

FWIW. I bought my own Rolex/16610. My recently deceased father left his new and unused SS/DJ to my younger brother whom he felt was far more responsible (as well as upwardly mobile) when it came to everyday life 'issues'. No big deal (or jealousy on my part) as I prefer my SS Submariner over a basic SS/DJ + my brother couldn't differentiate a Rolex from an Omega other than for superficial yuppie recognition and/or acknowledgments.

That said. Heartwarming tales of watches being passed on certainly have their place and many are noteworthy. On the other hand, some gifting practices border on the questionable given their specific situations and scenarios. To me a Rolex (or any other fine watch) is not a dog bone reward for being either a sycophant or complacent achiever.

As far as your 'creative project' goes, you may have a serious challenge outdoing Patek Philippe's classic marketing line.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 05:51 AM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Frankly any watch passed on from father to son is held in the heart with value, imho. My dad passed on his gold Bulova which I received after his death as well as a gold Tiffany pocket watch. He was born shortly after the end of the Victorian period so they could both have been his. The pocket watch may have been his father's; I'm not certain since his father was deceased at least twenty years before I was born. What strikes me even more is not the watches but the of them on his wrist. Seeing certain watches just emote a feeling of him now gone almost 35 years.

A watch in most person's lives is a very personal thing. It may not be more to the owner than a tool but to those around them who see it day after day it becomes a representation of its owner. The watches that I remember best with my father were a green dialed Wyler and a rectangular cased gold Hamilton neither of which I have and both of which I'd buy in a heart bead if I could. The Rolex DD with green dial comes close to the appearance of the Wyler.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #4
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I have "passed on" all my SS watches to my sons. I wanted to share the passion and have family GTG's every time we meet

also a much better way to see the watches more than a one week rotation...

wife too!!

when I die they get the PM's!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I don’t think it matters what item is passed down as long as there is an emotion triggered when the son or daughter uses or sees the item. My “item” is a simple punch that was in my dad’s small workshop. I have other punches, but the one I pick up every time is my dad’s. It triggers memories and that’s what makes it special.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 06:12 AM   #6
Betterthere
"TRF" Member

Contrarian view...i have no emotional attachment to watches so i hope i have enough forewarning to sell them. If not my wife knows who to contact to sell.
Betterthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 06:22 AM   #7
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

My father didn't give me his watch, but he did give me his love for Rolexes. As a child he would let me hold is two tone DateJust while he played tennis. I marveled at the weight of it and the way light played with the fluted bezel and the Jubilee links. Later he moved on to a couple of 18k YG Day Dates. At the time they were too much gold for me. And when I started thinking about buying my own first Rolex, the brands popularity (and the number of knock offs) soured me on the brand. But I couldn't get the look and feeling of a Rolex out of my head. Eventually I surrendered and began the journey through dozens of Rolexes over the years. My father's last Day Date was stolen from him and never was replaced. But the passion for Rolex that he gave me is still with me to this day. And now I am very comfortable with solid gold.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 08:20 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
My father didn't give me his watch, but he did give me his love for Rolexes. As a child he would let me hold is two tone DateJust while he played tennis. I marveled at the weight of it and the way light played with the fluted bezel and the Jubilee links. Later he moved on to a couple of 18k YG Day Dates. At the time they were too much gold for me. And when I started thinking about buying my own first Rolex, the brands popularity (and the number of knock offs) soured me on the brand. But I couldn't get the look and feeling of a Rolex out of my head. Eventually I surrendered and began the journey through dozens of Rolexes over the years. My father's last Day Date was stolen from him and never was replaced. But the passion for Rolex that he gave me is still with me to this day. And now I am very comfortable with solid gold.
I can't think of any watch lover in my family besides myself but my father in law passed his '77 DJ that he bought new to me almost two years ago

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 10:52 AM   #9
rolexamerica
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the insight fellas, question if rolex made a movie what do you thin it would be about?
rolexamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
The spirit of human adventure.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:48 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You dad was a boxer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I don’t think it matters what item is passed down as long as there is an emotion triggered when the son or daughter uses or sees the item. My “item” is a simple punch that was in my dad’s small workshop. I have other punches, but the one I pick up every time is my dad’s. It triggers memories and that’s what makes it special.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:54 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Because my father abused my mother, she packed us up in the car and we left during the school day to drive across country where she got a job, remarried, and raised us.

From my father I learned what not to be. And that was an important lesson in my life.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:02 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Because my father abused my mother, she packed us up in the car and we left during the school day to drive across country where she got a job, remarried, and raised us.

From my father I learned what not to be. And that was an important lesson in my life.
Peace to your mother John, she sounds like a strong woman.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:10 PM   #14
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Quote:

Damn! Power to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:35 PM   #15
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Quote:

Well said. Remarkable mother and a remarkable example. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:08 PM   #16
topgear1985
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I can probably give you a somewhat unconventional view. No material item, from either side of my parents family (including my parents) has ever been passed down my family as an heirloom. I got my Submariner for multiple reasons; I loved it from the moment I saw it 15 years ago and I achieved a lot recently and decided to reward myself. But more important, I want to pass it down to my child and start that tradition. I think as a male, watches are one of the few accessories we can wear on a daily basis that last decades and in some cases like Rolex, lifetimes. It's one of the few things these days that's mechanically made and requires a craft to create and maintain.
topgear1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:02 PM   #17
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
We live in a household where material possessions are not important. I highly doubt my kids will give a hoot about my watches despite playing with them on occasion.

I am certain my Wife will steer them in that direction as well.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote