The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2017, 07:05 PM   #1
arika
"TRF" Member

First rolex... with questions.

Decided to get the BLNR. Dealer doesn’t have it in stock, but a fellow customer was nice enough to show me his (and even let me try it on). Sealed the deal with a down payment and delivery is expected sometime during the first quarter of 2018. Up to now the only watch that I own is if I count my Fitbit and the fossil from high school girlfriend; this rolex will be my gift to myself for making my first million. For such reason I will be buying it new.
Once I take delivery I do plan on having it engraved with something meaningful to commemorate the occasion. Dealer says he can do engravings in house. Is that a good idea? If the engravings I want is a bit more complex; should I explore alternatives?
Growing up my family didn’t have much so I won’t be getting anything along the line of an heirloom, so I want this rolex to be something that I can give to my kids. Given that I am currently not married and no kids in the foreseeable future. Should I walk next door to Tiffanys to get something for (in case it’s) a girl? Should I also be on the lookout for a second special occasion watch for (possible) multiple kids?
Sorry for the long first post. And thanks in advance.
arika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 07:42 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arika View Post
Decided to get the BLNR. Dealer doesn’t have it in stock, but a fellow customer was nice enough to show me his (and even let me try it on). Sealed the deal with a down payment and delivery is expected sometime during the first quarter of 2018. Up to now the only watch that I own is if I count my Fitbit and the fossil from high school girlfriend; this rolex will be my gift to myself for making my first million. For such reason I will be buying it new.
Once I take delivery I do plan on having it engraved with something meaningful to commemorate the occasion. Dealer says he can do engravings in house. Is that a good idea? If the engravings I want is a bit more complex; should I explore alternatives?
Growing up my family didn’t have much so I won’t be getting anything along the line of an heirloom, so I want this rolex to be something that I can give to my kids. Given that I am currently not married and no kids in the foreseeable future. Should I walk next door to Tiffanys to get something for (in case it’s) a girl? Should I also be on the lookout for a second special occasion watch for (possible) multiple kids?
Sorry for the long first post. And thanks in advance.
Absolutely and also buy something for your grand kids.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Highjinx
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub - 16610
Hell yea! Go shopping, your first million great work. I will get off the forum now and go make some cash.
Highjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:46 PM   #4
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Stick with the GMT. Heirlooms are best when they are used and can tell a story. A piece of 30 year old Tiffany jewelry that's been sitting in a safe doesn't have much of a story to tell.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:54 PM   #5
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Absolutely and also buy something for your grand kids.
Brutal (but funny).
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:58 PM   #6
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Get the BLNR. Don't engrave it.

If you have a girl later in life, buy her a strand of pearls or something. Otherwise, she can wear your watch and everything will be fine.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:07 AM   #7
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Get the BLNR. Don't engrave it.

If you have a girl later in life, buy her a strand of pearls or something. Otherwise, she can wear your watch and everything will be fine.
I think this makes sense to me. I like the pearls idea for sure. I’ve debated engraving as well but I flip too often. Seems like you’ll keep this one, so a small engraving wouldn’t be too bad and might make it a little more special

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 04:00 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Since you're not even married at this stage, I wouldn't put a lot of thought into what you're going to leave for your kids. Just enjoy the hobby and get the watches that sing to you. As a wife and kids come along and you gauge their interest (or not) in your passion, then you can start thinking about who gets what.

If you're already thinking about a next, I personally think the LV-C makes a great companion piece to the BLNR...but again, do some shopping and see what you think.

I'm not the engraving type, so I can't help you there, other to say unless it was easily reversible, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Since you're not even married at this stage, I wouldn't put a lot of thought into what you're going to leave for your kids. Just enjoy the hobby and get the watches that sing to you. As a wife and kids come along and you gauge their interest (or not) in your passion, then you can start thinking about who gets what.

If you're already thinking about a next, I personally think the LV-C makes a great companion piece to the BLNR...but again, do some shopping and see what you think.

I'm not the engraving type, so I can't help you there, other to say unless it was easily reversible, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Good luck!
Larry's right, take it slowly and get the BLNR as it is the one you want, remember God laughs at plans we mortals make so give him the day off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:01 AM   #10
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your first million. Should be easy from now on according to the joke... "All you need to succeed is hard work and a million dollars"

I'd get the BLNR engraved only if you plan to keep it forever (might hurt resale value) and wouldn't worry about heirlooms for non-existing kids. Instead of Tiffany stuff, why not invest that amount and perhaps make another million out of it that the kids can later enjoy :P
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:15 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would not engrave it. You could always get it engraved later on, but engraved watches are hander to sell or trade if you want to trade up for a gold or platinum model.

The future is hard to predict. You may come on hard times, or you may get married and divorced. So don't do things that are not reversible, especially when you are young.

Congrats on your million.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:27 AM   #12
arika
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input.

Guess I left out some potential relevant information. Managed to leverage an engagement ring purchase for a discount on my BLNR. Decisions get so much easier when there is a bit of money in the bank. Girl is very much pro-baby, hence the heirloom. Don't foresee myself selling it so resale value isn't much of an issue. Big week for me so I may be over thinking some things.
arika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:28 AM   #13
NDAzone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust41 MoP
You only live once. Get it engraved. Even if you do get that gold or platinum Rolex later on, you only have one first Rolex and all the sentimental value with it.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
NDAzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:52 AM   #14
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I had my 10 year anniversary gift Daytona engraved on the caseback. Its a nice memory and if there ever came a time I can easily swap in a new caseback and keep the original.
Old 28 December 2017, 08:04 AM   #15
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Newman’s Daytona was engraved did not hurt the value too much
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 09:28 AM   #16
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

If you are going to get it engraved then buy a new case back at the same time. They are cheap (relatively) and when you sell it you can just have the case back swapped. I would not buy gifts for any un-born relatives. Whatever you are doing to make your money, just invest that and let it ride. If you are riding the market that million can disappear as fast as it came.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 09:34 AM   #17
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Congrats my friend! Great job.
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 10:11 AM   #18
7Kenhinho
Banned

Watch: Datejust
I think engravings are cooler when someone gifts you the watch, also, in case you wonder if your future daughter will appreciate the watch - just ask my sister - she wants my dad's DJ!

Also google Giorgia Mondani, she sure loves her dad's Rolex's.
7Kenhinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 10:47 AM   #19
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

It’s great to think of our children, grand children, and the many generations to come! But stop for a second and celebrate YOURSELF!! You made your first million, which means hard work, sweat and probably some blood with it as well! So get what you like and enjoy it. If you have 5 girls and by then you’re not on your 10th million, sell Ge Rolex (after you’ve enjoyed it for that long) for a profit and get them what you want

Live a little brother!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:31 PM   #20
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on the first million and on a great choice!
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
[QUOTE=arika;8140409

Big week for me so I may be over thinking some things.[/QUOTE]

Understandable...and yes, I think so. Take it one step at a time and savor the moment.

And...congrats. Sounds like you have much to celebrate.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 01:10 PM   #22
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats. ..engrave away if you wish.i might engage my sd43.

Do You.know how to.make a million in the stock.market?
Start with 2. Haha.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 01:18 PM   #23
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
It’s great to think of our children, grand children, and the many generations to come! But stop for a second and celebrate YOURSELF!! You made your first million, which means hard work, sweat and probably some blood with it as well! So get what you like and enjoy it. If you have 5 girls and by then you’re not on your 10th million, sell Ge Rolex (after you’ve enjoyed it for that long) for a profit and get them what you want

Live a little brother!
Yes. Live a little like DR A says. Because the flip side of the coin is this.

Married 3 kids

Divorced 3 kids

massive support payments to wife and Kids = no soup for you

Congrats on your first mill. Guarantees nothing however.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 01:38 PM   #24
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I think a BLNR looks good on most women so don’t worry that you can’t pass it down to a daughter. That said, if you’re worried about it, just make your next watch a 36mm Datejust or Day Date. Perfect for men and women.

You sound like you want to engrave it. Go for it. Some of the most famous watches in history have engravings... Newman’s Daytona, JFK’s Tank, etc. And you can always get a replacement case back if you decide to sell the watch for any reason.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote