The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2006, 07:56 AM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Watch shopping with the Rolex. Got much respect!

My wife and I went to dinner at the mall last night and wound up looking at women's watches... Tags and Guccis. It's amazing how much respect you get from a salesperson once they realize that you're willing to drop some coin on a watch. It took him about two minutes before he mentioned something about the Rolex. He must've pulled out 20 watches for us to look at... lol. We didn't end up getting one, though.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I have had the same experience.
I have also had (more than one) salesperson at watch stores, not even notice what I or my wife were wearing.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
It's a good thing isnt it!

I've found that even if you show a genuine, more than passing interest in watches the salespeople will be more than happy to oblige, especially in certain stores, where they're more than just people selling stuff.
On another note, I went shopping for clothes and stuff the other night, and noticed the fella helping me was wearing a TT blue sub. Stunning watch, so I complimented him on it and we had a bit of a watch discussion. This eventually led me to getting fantastic service & a very healthy discount!

See....there's always a good justification for watches (hah..like we need one!)
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
But the opposite is also true. I once went to one of the two AD’s in Rotterdam to have a dive watch pressure tested. It was a French watch, vaguely resembling a Sub. As I entered the store, the watchmaker happened to be upstairs. (The workshop is in the basement). I asked the saleslady if the watch could be pressure tested. The watchmaker, who couldn’t see my watch very clearly, asked, very eagerly: “is it a Rolex?”. After she said no, his interest vanished on the spot and he mumbled behind his teeth “yes, but it’ll cost 25 guilders”.
Old 5 June 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Spencer
"TRF" Member

I hate to admit it, but I almost try to make is seen by the sales people while watch shopping wearing my Rolex or Panerai. It gives you instant cred!

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic

Last edited by Spencer; 6 June 2006 at 07:00 AM..
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer
I hate to admit it, but almost try to make is seen by the sales people while watch shopping wearing my Rolex or Panerai. It give you instant cred!
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, Spencer. I recently took my Breitling Olympus in to my local AD to have the clasp checked while wearing my GMT-II. The salesman took the Olympus and nearly drooled all over it. The service I got was almost embarrassing.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Oh, you guys are just way too politically correct.

Well aware that I could cop a lot of flak for being bourgeois, I'll tell the truth and shame the devil here. Most times when I go shopping, I'm in my favourite beat-up shirt, jeans and hi-mileage sneakers. I'll freely admit that I love it when that salesperson with the "and what do you think you're doing here" attitude spots my SD, or even my Tudor, and has that dawning "uh oh" look on his or her face.

Actually, a while back, Sash and I were walking through the city and we passed a nice restaurant and checked out the menu displayed out front. This snotty little polyester-suit diner with a TAG shot us a "you couldn't afford it" look from inside, so I scratched my nose with my left hand, with my SD emerging from under my sleeve. The wanker's eyes bugged out and he suddenly took a keen interest in the bottom of his dinner plate (which was marginally smaller than his eyes.

I've got a book on men's fashion, and in the watch section the author writes, "There is probably no other watch make that is as controversial as Rolex, being simultaneously adored and despised". It's all attitude.

That said, on the nicer side of things, it's always a pleasure to have a chat with someone who does have a genuine appreciation for watches. I've been spending a fair bit of time hanging about Ferntree Gully Watches, where proprietor Phil Gore enjoys the reputation of being the best watchmaker in town. His trusty working watch is a 1016, and I'm humbled that he spends more time chatting watches with me than with other customers I've seen in his shop.
Old 5 June 2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
...Most times when I go shopping, I'm in my favourite beat-up shirt, jeans and hi-mileage sneakers. I'll freely admit that I love it when that salesperson with the "and what do you think you're doing here" attitude spots my SD, or even my Tudor, and has that dawning "uh oh" look on his or her face...
God, I love it when that happens!!!
Old 5 June 2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
hmmmmm does this mean you can or can not tell a book by it's cover????? or does this only apply to PBoy?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 12:13 AM   #10
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Well, Im not sure if I got any respect or not but was at the local High end AD in town, Cherry Creek area for anyone who knows Denver, and proceded to the Rolex counter for a look. Im dressed casually, shorts, untucked button up shirt and two year old son in tow. We look around, nothing new, so I continue around looking at the Patek, Pan's, GP, JLC's, etc.. After about 10 min, a sales guy comes around, introduces himself and offers to show a couple wathces. After a few prodding questions, he can tell im into Rolex and mentions he has an LV sub in back. He brings it out, shows it off, and then procededs to tell me he cant sell it to me becasue I havent bought from him before. Then, it gets worse, he tells me he has 2, that's right, 2 stainless Daytona's in the safe, but I need to spend 50K to get one. I cant say I was disrepected, I believe he thought I could afford it, but so condiscending.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIPilot
Well, Im not sure if I got any respect or not but was at the local High end AD in town, Cherry Creek area for anyone who knows Denver, and proceded to the Rolex counter for a look. Im dressed casually, shorts, untucked button up shirt and two year old son in tow. We look around, nothing new, so I continue around looking at the Patek, Pan's, GP, JLC's, etc.. After about 10 min, a sales guy comes around, introduces himself and offers to show a couple wathces. After a few prodding questions, he can tell im into Rolex and mentions he has an LV sub in back. He brings it out, shows it off, and then procededs to tell me he cant sell it to me becasue I havent bought from him before. Then, it gets worse, he tells me he has 2, that's right, 2 stainless Daytona's in the safe, but I need to spend 50K to get one. I cant say I was disrepected, I believe he thought I could afford it, but so condiscending.
That is absolutely brutal. I mean, holding watches at ransome to 'reward' clients who spend big bux? WTF? I can sort of understand it in that they would want to 'reward' repeat business, but why not in the form of a bigger discount?

IMHO (I'm Canadian remember) just put the stock in the display cases and first come, first serve... or at the very least put names on a list and when the 'it' watch comes in, start calling. For that AD to tease you with an LV is complete BS. They aren't that difficult to get anymore and it's insulting to show you a watch, knowing you can afford it and then say you can't buy it.

THIS... is why Rolex puts me off.
Old 6 June 2006, 12:21 AM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Well, Pete, all I can say is that people like that don't deserve your money, and if anybody tried to yank my chain with a load of BS about what are IMHO the two models with the most overinflated prices, I wouldn't waste precious seconds of my life on him.
Old 6 June 2006, 04:46 AM   #13
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
I agree. Honestly, I would prefer a Seadweller over either if those watches anyway. I like the LV sub and the Daytona, but Im not into hype.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 11:55 AM   #14
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Oh, you guys are just way too politically correct.

Well aware that I could cop a lot of flak for being bourgeois, I'll tell the truth and shame the devil here. Most times when I go shopping, I'm in my favourite beat-up shirt, jeans and hi-mileage sneakers. I'll freely admit that I love it when that salesperson with the "and what do you think you're doing here" attitude spots my SD, or even my Tudor, and has that dawning "uh oh" look on his or her face.

Actually, a while back, Sash and I were walking through the city and we passed a nice restaurant and checked out the menu displayed out front. This snotty little polyester-suit diner with a TAG shot us a "you couldn't afford it" look from inside, so I scratched my nose with my left hand, with my SD emerging from under my sleeve. The wanker's eyes bugged out and he suddenly took a keen interest in the bottom of his dinner plate (which was marginally smaller than his eyes.

I've got a book on men's fashion, and in the watch section the author writes, "There is probably no other watch make that is as controversial as Rolex, being simultaneously adored and despised". It's all attitude.

That said, on the nicer side of things, it's always a pleasure to have a chat with someone who does have a genuine appreciation for watches. I've been spending a fair bit of time hanging about Ferntree Gully Watches, where proprietor Phil Gore enjoys the reputation of being the best watchmaker in town. His trusty working watch is a 1016, and I'm humbled that he spends more time chatting watches with me than with other customers I've seen in his shop.
Beautiful move James.

And yes it is nice to chat with someone else that does have an appreciation for watches.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 11:59 AM   #15
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIPilot
The guy is a real douche bag Pete. Like James said I wouldn't waste any more time in his store. It's too bad too. It seems like he has a nice inventory. See, this is where the AD f***ed up big time. How was he to know that you wouldn't have dropped the $50k right on the spot and walked out with a SS Daytona? Or maybe not right then, but maybe down the road drop $10-$20k on watches or something else? He totally ruined any chance of making a new customer.
Old 6 June 2006, 12:01 PM   #16
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
IMHO (I'm Canadian remember) just put the stock in the display cases and first come, first serve... :
That's exactly what my AD does.
Old 6 June 2006, 04:52 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince
God, I love it when that happens!!!
Me too!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote