The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2006, 01:00 AM   #1
buckeye
"TRF" Member

Decision Help

HI all. Been a lurker for a while and have found this site to be very informative. All of my lurking must have worked as My lovely wife has informed me that my anniversary gift will be my first rolex. She has shopped at our local AD and narrowed "Her" choices for me to a SS Sub / Date, and a SS / WG bezel / DJ, Gray dial / Turnograph.

My dilema. I like the 40MM size of the SUB vs the 36MM DJ, but really think the gray dial turnograph is sweet. Looks Sporty but also great for formal attire. What advise can you fine folks give me.

PS. Both sizes look ok while wearing, as I dont have overly large or small wrists.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 01:09 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well first welcome to TRF now you have 3 good choices there.My choice would be the Sub,looks good no matter what you wear.But ultimately its your final choice try them all on.The one that smiles back the most thats the one for you,good luck on your choice.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 01:48 AM   #3
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome to TRF buckeye......................go for the sub, you won't regret it. It's instantly recognisable as a Rolex.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 02:10 AM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Welcome. I agree with Padi, try them on, all are great choices, one of them will 'call you'; that's the one!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Rackness
"TRF" Member

i would have to agree of the choices available i recomend the Sea-Dweller!

in all seriousness you need to go try them oon and see for yourself which one "feels" right. they wear very differently from one another.

and look at it this way if you play your card right you may get the other one next anniversary.

my vote gos to the SD's little brother the Sub.
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 03:19 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF, buckeye. I've seen you logged on many times, I'm glad to see you finally posting You've mentioned some great watches. The Sub is the classic Rolex and can easily go from beach attire to a tux. Then again, so can the T-O-G. One of them will call to you. Try them on, YOUR watch will call to you
And don't forget, we'd love some pic's when you get it
Old 6 June 2006, 04:15 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Buckeye,

Welcome to TRF. Both are excellent watches. For an average wrist, the 36 mm would be perfect. Also bear in mind that both watches run the same 3135 movement...so you really can't go wrong either way!!

Good luck in your final decision.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 11:46 AM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hey buckeye welcome to TRF. You can't go wrong with either choice. You have to get the one that smiles at you the most because it will make you happy for years to come. Myself have a SS Sub Date.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me add my welcome to TRF, Buckeye. Glad you finally came out of the closet to join our merry madhouse.

The others have given you the best advice. We all have our favorites, but they're very personal faves. You really have to try on your choices to find the one that really smiles at you. You'll know it when you see it.

But beware, it's a slippery slope you are starting down. At the bottom of the slide is WATCH HELL!! You keep collecting and/or trading until it becomes and obsession. You neglect your work, you neglect your family and all you can do is spend time on TRF with a bunch of other misfits.

Take JJ. He reached rock bottom years ago and he's still going downhill.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 11:57 AM   #10
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Let me add my welcome to TRF, Buckeye. Glad you finally came out of the closet to join our merry madhouse.

The others have given you the best advice. We all have our favorites, but they're very personal faves. You really have to try on your choices to find the one that really smiles at you. You'll know it when you see it.

But beware, it's a slippery slope you are starting down. At the bottom of the slide is WATCH HELL!! You keep collecting and/or trading until it becomes and obsession. You neglect your work, you neglect your family and all you can do is spend time on TRF with a bunch of other misfits.

You know, Ed, when you told me that when I first arrived here, I didn't believe you. Why oh why didn't I listen
Oh well, I may have gone down the slope, but it's been a fun ride with great company
Old 6 June 2006, 12:10 PM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
You know, Ed, when you told me that when I first arrived here, I didn't believe you. Why oh why didn't I listen
Oh well, I may have gone down the slope, but it's been a fun ride with great company
It's similar to having children, Craig. Our parents told us how much trouble children are, but did we listen? Of course not. We needed to find out for ourselves what kind of headaches were ahead for us.

Same with watches. You can be told how once you take that first step you will become addicted, but you won't listen. You tell yourself "Im tough. I can stop with just one."" I think we say that about potato chips. You can't eat just one chip. Nor can you stop at one watch. It's a sickness, no doubt about it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 12:18 PM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's similar to having children, Craig. Our parents told us how much trouble children are, but did we listen? Of course not. We needed to find out for ourselves what kind of headaches were ahead for us.

Same with watches. You can be told how once you take that first step you will become addicted, but you won't listen. You tell yourself "Im tough. I can stop with just one."" I think we say that about potato chips. You can't eat just one chip. Nor can you stop at one watch. It's a sickness, no doubt about it.

I wish I could make my wife understand that
Old 6 June 2006, 04:49 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Yes, but now I think I've reached the very bottom pit of the slope. I'm just hoping from now on it's all UP HILL as I can't go down any deeper.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 6 June 2006, 07:03 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

How very very very true Ed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Yeah, what those guys said!

My view on this is that if it's going to be just one Rolex, it's gotta be the Sub. Period.

Welcome aboard, by the way!
Old 6 June 2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I agree with padi, the one that smiles at you or makes you smile as your wearing it ;o) Regardless of the dial size one of those watches is going to scream at you.

Oh yes and Buckeye.... Welcome to TRF !!!!!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2006, 11:41 PM   #17
silverman

Watch: gmt11c/ DSSD
Sub date all the way.Dress it up or down,wear it to work or casual.A classic piece that will never date.As its an anniversary gift you want this to be a keeper and the sub date is a timeless piece.

Good luck and congrats.
silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 01:02 AM   #18
President Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye
HI all. Been a lurker for a while and have found this site to be very informative. All of my lurking must have worked as My lovely wife has informed me that my anniversary gift will be my first rolex. She has shopped at our local AD and narrowed "Her" choices for me to a SS Sub / Date, and a SS / WG bezel / DJ, Gray dial / Turnograph.

My dilema. I like the 40MM size of the SUB vs the 36MM DJ, but really think the gray dial turnograph is sweet. Looks Sporty but also great for formal attire. What advise can you fine folks give me.

PS. Both sizes look ok while wearing, as I dont have overly large or small wrists.
Have you considered a TT Yachtmaster with the White Dial? It opitimizes everything that is a Rolex - both sporty and elegant!
President Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 01:43 AM   #19
topher

Watch: GMT Master II
Welcome, good to meet another new person on the list. Like they say, one will just make you say, "oh yah". Don't get wishy on the decision. I bought a GMT TT yesterday and almost changed my mind at the last minute, glad I didn't. Woke up this morning with no remorse, just a big grin.

BTW - Nice wife, I'm sure you take good care of her.
topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 06:56 AM   #20
buckeye
"TRF" Member

Decision made... It is a great feeling

My wife took me to the AD and after 20 minutes of deciding, I am the proud owner of the TOG Slate dial WG bezel. Had a hard time chosing between this and the Sub Date. It is true what was advised earlier in this posting. The watches truely do "speak" to you. I know that sounds crazy, I admit I thought that advise was crazy but it is true.

Thanks for all the comments

Buckeye
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 07:48 AM   #21
Wayno

Watch: TTDJ
Quote:
My wife took me to the AD and after 20 minutes of deciding, I am the proud owner of the TOG Slate dial WG bezel. Had a hard time chosing between this and the Sub Date. It is true what was advised earlier in this posting. The watches truely do "speak" to you. I know that sounds crazy, I admit I thought that advise was crazy but it is true.

Buckeye

Welcome Buckeye...Post some pics so we can all enjoy

Wayno
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 08:01 AM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Buckeye
Congratulations, Buckeye That's one beautiful watch you got Post some pic's of that beauty when you can
Old 8 June 2006, 03:35 PM   #23
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Congratulations Buckeye, I'm glad you got the one you wanted.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 03:49 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post

Buckeye
Congrats, Buckeye, wear it in good health. Which bracelet did you opt for? Oyster or Jubilee? Post some pics asap.

Thanks - JJ

Old 9 June 2006, 09:31 PM   #25
silverman

Watch: gmt11c/ DSSD
Pics,pics,pics please.............
silverman is offline   Reply With Quote