The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #31
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

Rolex giving up SS sport watch market to other manufactures such as Omega,...?

Not a expert on supply and demand but I think it’s safe to say when it’s nearly impossible to find an item at a discounted price and used items hold their value if not increase in value, the company is doing something right.

Wether it’s marketing and or producing a superior product what ever the company is doing is working.

You can definitely find Omegas heavy discounted. Doesn’t mean it’s a inferior watch/brand necessarily.

When was the last time you heard of having to be put on a waitlist for a SS omega watch let alone several different SS omega models?

Being out on a waitlist might not be the greatest situation for the average buyer but that demand helps hold the value of the buyer’s new watch.

Now if Rolex starts only relying on their prestige and company name and start allowing other bands to jump ahead in terms of innovations with no answer that Rolex pedestal will begin to crumble and fall.

Again I am not a watch expert, I come here for info, reading others opinions and the fact that I just enjoy watches in general. So if what I’m saying is way off just remember it’s just a layman’s opinion.
Bobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:34 AM   #32
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I agree Omega,Tudor, Breitling, and IWC are all in the same league.

I do think Tudor has one advantage over the others for the fact that some of the Rolex enthusiasts would cross over to Tudor due to the association between the two brands.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:37 AM   #33
StuartG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvius View Post
Honestly the scarcity makes Rolex more of a challenge and therefore more desirable.
Only to the FOMO herd. Most other people just want a watch, and they probably start by asking for the most recognizable brand name and then go from there.
StuartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:42 AM   #34
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
re: DSSD rehaut, in person it is a non-issue (for me at least but i have heard others say similar). it is something that for whatever reason shouts in photos.

rolex haven't abandoned the stainless steel sports market. they are winning so hard that there is little stock about. rolex cannot simply increase production when it wants to (short term). they have a number of watches they can make. they can make less. but not, in the short term, more.

however via revival of tudor they are telegraphing that rolex is leaving the omega/panerai/breitling category quite deliberately. their product (steel and` sports) will soon be markedly less than patek/ap but markedly more than omega/panerai etc. (based on rrp).
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #35
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Depends on individual tastes. In my experience Omega watches are attractive and very well made. There are many Rolex models I could easily walk away from. The DSSD is one due to that stupid rehaut.
To be clear, I don't dislike Omegas at all. Quite the contrary. I like Omegas a lot. Maybe i should be more specific. I was comparing Datejusts and Aqua Terras online, and I was thinking I might actually prefer the Aqua Terra.

When I saw them in person, it was clear that I prefer the Datejust. Here are the 2 models I was looking at. However, I ended up buying neither and instead put money down on a new BMW 540i.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Datejust 36 Blue Jubilee.jpg (26.4 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg Omega Aqua Terra.jpg (60.2 KB, 296 views)
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:59 AM   #36
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Rolex moving upmarket = Maybe; only because of demand driving up prices

Rolex giving up SS market = No

Seamaster better than Submariner = ROFLMAO!

Agree with you regarding the humor that the Sesmaster is better than the Submariner. But Tim has to say that because his employer sells both brands. The Submariner sells itself. The Seamaster needs a clever sales professional to put it on the wrists of potential buyers.

Either way, I really enjoyed the video. The new Seamaster is a very handsome watch. I thoroughly love mine. I purchased it in 1998. A year after buying my first Submariner (16610) therefore I never experienced the feeling of “settling”.

Can I also just say that nobody does it like Mr. Tim Mosso. He’s in a league of his own. And I always have to post pics

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:02 AM   #37
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
To be clear, I don't dislike Omegas at all. Quite the contrary. I like Omegas a lot. Maybe i should be more specific. I was comparing Datejusts and Aqua Terras online, and I was thinking I might actually prefer the Aqua Terra.

When I saw them in person, it was clear that I prefer the Datejust. Here are the 2 models I was looking at. However, I ended up buying neither and instead put money down on a new BMW 540i.
Thanks. I’m not a fan of fluted bezels or the cyclops so I’d lean to the AT but when I was looking for a watch in this niche I bought a Cartier Ballon Bleu.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:03 AM   #38
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619

If your name says anything about it you should have bought the watches Kidding... I love my X6. The thing still moves after 10 years and zero maintenance issues

@jps3b

Last edited by jps3b; 24 February 2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: This was a response to “Krash” post
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:04 AM   #39
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

No way. Rolex is recalibrating the market. Preserving the brand and managing supply by design. I like Omega, but if I want a Rolex, I'm not settling.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:08 AM   #40
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
For me personally, it was a Sub or nothing. The Pelagos is a great watch. It just isn’t the Sub.

If I couldn’t have gotten a Sub from an AD, I would have went grey, not settled for a Pelagos.

If you wanted the Pelagos, great. But it’s not the same.
I was going on a beach vacation, I wanted a diver. It’s not about settling, my AD says six months for a sub, my trip was in two weeks. I was a sub shopper, leaving with a Tudor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
Tudor is owned by Rolex so they did not lose out on a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$8k became $4k, they certainly lost. Also, now I’m looking at Omega or AP.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:21 AM   #41
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
I only own two Swiss watches,
An Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500 and a Tudor Black Bay blue ETA version. Now I’m buying a third and will only buy Rolex to complete my Swiss trilogy.

It is annoying that you just can’t buy one and need to go on a waiting list unless you grey but I’m happy to wait.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:58 AM   #42
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Omega is competing more win brands like Tudor. And I think that is what omega is at this point.
Really? You really think Omega is in the same tier as Tudor? What is your tier for Rolex? Rolex is in its own tier? All by itself Rolex sitting there under the crown all by itself with no competition?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rlrobson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:02 AM   #43
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, there is no chance that Omega is a direct competitor to Rolex. Not anymore. Rolex has moved to the next tier.
Old 24 February 2019, 10:04 AM   #44
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekken View Post
In my opinion, there is no chance that Omega is a direct competitor to Rolex. Not anymore. Rolex has moved to the next tier.
Can you be more specific?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rlrobson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #45
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I would say no. Omega offers a competitive offering though. I love the Seamaster 300m that was released at Basel 2018. It compliments my sub perfectly

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #46
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post

Many even think the new Omega Seamaster is a better watch than the Submariner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vhi5-dZSQ
Ummmmm HECK NO !!!!

The extra button release valve on the left side is
absolutely horrid in my opinion and many others opinions as well.

If they ever get their head on straight and drop that silly
button/valve it may have a better chance to compete...but never
on the same level IMHO...

One CROWN is enough...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 10:12 AM   #47
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Sorry mate, the specifics are my own perceptions. Rolex is a
more prestigious brand, they don’t discount like Omega does and value retention makes it game, set match to Rolex.
Old 24 February 2019, 10:57 AM   #48
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Rolex hopes people will go with a DJ OP Exp or Tudor if they can’t get a sub. They’re not giving up on anything.

That said I’m glad that couple went to Omega - they are completely underrated and amazing values. That’s where most people should look if they can’t get the Rolex they want.
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:07 AM   #49
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Demand is demand. People want Rolex regardless of supply. Not sure lowering supply will push folks towards non Rolex brands unless that is what they wanted to begin with. It will likely make them want it more. Rolex is not a dumb company. Quite the opposite. Not sure their end game here.. maybe setting the market up for price increases in an attempt to move up market. Who knows. One thing is for sure, they are not worried about other brands.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:44 AM   #50
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
You either want a Rolex or you don't. In 1965 I went looking for an Omega. All they had was a Rolex. 50 years later, I'm still Happy with my Sub.
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:53 AM   #51
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
Rolex is in a position of strength and dictating to the market. If they want to produce more SS they can but the value and desirability goes down. What they are doing is both painful and a thing of Beauty!
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 11:59 AM   #52
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Buying an Omega is a temporary fix at best; they'll keep searching for a Rolex. Really I don't find the Omegas very attractive, fwiw. I let six go this past November.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:11 PM   #53
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

I have seen this many times on old bond st in london where the rolex and omega boutiques are opposite each other

I am getting my omega serviced so paid a fee visits and saw a number of chinese go from rolex to omega and buy seamaster or speedy and one said rolex didnt have any stock. Shows outside this forum there isnt a strong desire to wait years for a rolex when u can get something as good for half the price and immediate
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:13 PM   #54
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekken View Post
Sorry mate, the specifics are my own perceptions. Rolex is a
more prestigious brand, they don’t discount like Omega does and value retention makes it game, set match to Rolex.
They may be much better at marketing, byt many people out there see rolex as having a gangster/showing off image and business people i work with hardly wear s/s rolex
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:15 PM   #55
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Buying an Omega is a temporary fix at best; they'll keep searching for a Rolex. Really I don't find the Omegas very attractive, fwiw. I let six go this past November.
I know several people who wear Omegas daily and have for decades. If they wanted a Rolex they would surely go buy one. There must be many millions of people happily wearing Omrga watches.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:53 PM   #56
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Nothing against Tudor but you need to take another look at Omega’s current product line. Mostly in house movements including a Chrono movement equal to that in the Daytona.
Take another look at Tudor. Mostly in house as well, for
Less money than Omega
Old 24 February 2019, 01:00 PM   #57
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Absolutely!! I decided some time ago to look past the brand after being loyal for over 25 years. I just haven't decided which brand to move on to. I am considering Omega or Breitling currently but do not want to rush.

My wife recently told me to sell her new Datejust which is about 2 years old and never worn after she heard how Rolex is treating loyal mom & pop ADs especially the local AD that supplied our watches which was just cut by Rolex. Bye, bye Rolex!!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:04 PM   #58
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Omega is competing more win brands like Tudor. And I think that is what omega is at this point.

I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but Omega is a lot closer to Rolex than Tudor is to Omega. My 2 cents...

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:07 PM   #59
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I've heard it this way;

When you wait and buy something of real quality, you'll soon forget the extra that you paid. When you settle for something of lesser quality, you will aways remember what you didn't get.
Wizardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:08 PM   #60
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
The other day, I dropped by my favourite AD just to chitchat a bit and collect some Rolex magazines, of course as usual the AD had nothing in SS sport. An asian couple walked in and I overheard them asking for a SS Submariner and I was not surprised that they walked out empty handed. We shopped around and later on dropped by a huge watch retailer in the same mall that carries everything from Patek, JLC, to Omega and other brands. We walked to the Omega display and met the same couple at the Rolex AD, they were in process of purchasing a new Omega Seamaster 300.

The lower priced stainless steel sport watch market competition is fierce with so many brands, do you think that Rolex is giving up this market segment and move to higher priced higher profit margin of DJ/TT/PM and leaving this stainless steel market for others to feed on?

Many even think the new Omega Seamaster is a better watch than the Submariner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vhi5-dZSQ

Interesting topic. I was in the SF boutique today. Of course nothing. But they didn’t have the rose gold Pepsi in the case. I was kind of surprised to see that.

lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote