The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 March 2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Breguet - thoughts, opinions, perspectives, reviews

Hi!

I was thinking about my next purchase, it'll still be a good while before i pull the trigger, and I am/was seriously leaning towards the GMT-IIc in SS/18kt. However, I've seriously become infatuated with the Breguet Marine Big Date, went window shopping the other...and bam! there it was in all its glory!

And it got me thinking, sensibly the GMT is much cheaper, its half gold and it makes far much more 'money sense'...but the Breguet is just WOW hand decorated dial, transparent case back, beautiful rotor, 65 hours power reserve, and its Breguet! - another neat fact for those that didnt know, Abraham Louis Breguet invented the tourbillion!

however, I just wanted everyone to share their thoughts, opinions, experiences that they have of or towards the brand. It kinda surprises me that we people generally talk about the top manufacturers we immediately here of the trinity - AP, Patek, VC.......and then we get into Lange, GO, JLC, Chopard and so forth.....Where does Breguet in your opinion line up in all of this....

I did a wikipedia search and found a huge list of clients, again WOW:

Breguet's distinguished patrons:

* Louis Philippe I, Duke of Orléans
* Marie-Antoinette, Queen of France
* Louis XVI, King of France
* Charles de Choiseul-Praslin, Duc de Choiseul-Praslin
* Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord, 1st Sovereign Prince of Beneventum
* Marie Jean Antoine Nicolas de Caritat, Marquis de Condorcet
* Napoleon Bonaparte, French Emperor
* General Charles Victor Emmanuel Leclerc ,
* George Augustus Frederick, Prince of Wales, later George IV
* William, Prince of Wurttemberg, later William I of Württemberg
* Joséphine de Beauharnais, French Empress
* Louis Antoine de Bougainville, French explorer
* Selim III, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
* Caroline Murate, Queen of Naples
* Tsar Alexander I of Russia
* George III, King of England
* Prince Ferdinand of Spain, later Ferdinand VII of Spain
* Infante Carlos, Count of Molina , Prince of Spain
* Michel Ney, Marshal of France
* Archduchess Maria Luisa of Austria , Empress of France
* George Spencer-Churchill, 6th Duke of Marlborough
* Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
* Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk
* Louis XVIII , King of France
* Count Axel von Fersen, Swedish diplomat
* Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom
* George Washington, 1st American President
* Philippe, Comte de Paris
* Sir Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister
* Fuad I, was the Sultan and later King of Egypt and Sudan, Sovereign of Nubia, Kordofan, and Darfur.
* Arthur Rubinstein, Master pianist
* Ettore Arco Isidoro Bugatti, founder of the automobile company
* Sergei Rachmaninoff, Composer
* Prince George of Greece and Denmark
* Edward VIII , later The Duke of Windsor
* Lola Astanova, Virtuoso pianist
* Nicolas Sarkozy, French president
* Leo Tolstoy, Russian author
* Aristotle Onassis, Greek shipping magnate
* Victor Hugo, writer
* Charles, Prince of Wales, English heir to the throne.

Some pics of the Big-Date, they are borrowed from another site, and they do not belong to me, I hope no one minds, if it is deemed to be inappropriate i will take them down.

Anyways, hope this tread adds more spice to the forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breguet_image.463376.jpg (36.8 KB, 1693 views)
File Type: jpg breguet_image.463381.jpg (37.1 KB, 1686 views)
File Type: jpg breguet_image.463396.jpg (50.0 KB, 1686 views)
File Type: jpg breguet_image.650591.jpg (88.1 KB, 1690 views)
Old 12 March 2010, 06:41 AM   #2
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Breguet is in a class of its own and whatever with the technicalities and complications and history, that Marine Big Date is absolutely the most classy casual as well as dress watch

a BP FF is the proper best rugged sports watch and this Breguet is the most classy sporty watch, IMHO :) absolutely stunning.
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 06:49 AM   #3
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Make no mistake Bregeut is right there at the top with the best of them.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Most agree that it is actually not the elite trinity, but a quartet of sorts - with Breguet being right there along with Patek, VC and AP. Presentation like no other - and most of all, quality that I haven't seen even in a Patek. Owned Patek and AP, don't any longer - but Breguet to me is a staple. Other brands will come and go, but a Breguet I will always own.

Here's mine:

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Superb watch Greg! The details on Breguets are amazing
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
watchteacher

Watch: Tiffany blue Sub
I've got a 3237 hand wound chronograph and it's very elegant.
watchteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
A Breguet is in the class of Patek and Vacheron, IMHO, these three companies make the pinnacle of the watch industry.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 09:01 AM   #8
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Breguet is up there at the top along with Patek VC Lange etc. There is no doubt about it. It is my secret grail...One day I will sell all my watches add some money and but a Breguet

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 10:14 AM   #9
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

The modern Breguet company is actually rebranded Lemania so there's no link between the famous client list of the original company and the new one other than a company name.

I really love the look of the Breguet Marine too but a review of the posts on the Breguet forum over at thepuristspro brought up a lot of reliability issues that weren't being addressed to the owners satisfaction. As the number of watches produced is very small for there to be so many posts about reliability has me very concerned. I note that there are very few issues posted on the VC, Patek and Lange sections.

For me the reliability issue is a deal breaker. My personal definition of quality includes relaibility not just beautiful polishing.

Having said that the Marine really is stunning to look at......
Old 12 March 2010, 11:34 AM   #10
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
The modern Breguet company is actually rebranded Lemania so there's no link between the famous client list of the original company and the new one other than a company name.

I really love the look of the Breguet Marine too but a review of the posts on the Breguet forum over at thepuristspro brought up a lot of reliability issues that weren't being addressed to the owners satisfaction. As the number of watches produced is very small for there to be so many posts about reliability has me very concerned. I note that there are very few issues posted on the VC, Patek and Lange sections.

For me the reliability issue is a deal breaker. My personal definition of quality includes relaibility not just beautiful polishing.

Having said that the Marine really is stunning to look at......
Well, the Lemania chrono movement that's in my watch is also used for the legendary 3970 Patek, so I'm ok with that. And Breguet also used F Piguet movements too. And Patek hasn't been owned by any Patek or Phillipe family members since the thirties, so there is no continuous history there either.

And no Wilsdorf heirs at Rolex . . .

That being said, it's Rolex for sport, Patek for dress, everything else is having fun.
Old 12 March 2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Most agree that it is actually not the elite trinity, but a quartet of sorts - with Breguet being right there along with Patek, VC and AP. Presentation like no other - and most of all, quality that I haven't seen even in a Patek. Owned Patek and AP, don't any longer - but Breguet to me is a staple. Other brands will come and go, but a Breguet I will always own.

Here's mine:

Greg, absolutely stunning!!!
Old 12 March 2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

this might be an ignorant question...but I have to ask, are Breguets hand-made, or is it the dial that is just decorated by hand. In today world were almost everything is mass-machine produced, I would be incredibly interest to know.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:07 PM   #13
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Handmade is an interesting topic, there are differing levels, such as some will have it produced by a machine, then hand finish and call it handmade, others will state that it's handmade because it was machined by a watchmaker. In reality handmade should mean just that, completely made by hand and no watch dial or movement can be done that way, so i'd say that the Breguet dial being handmade is as good as you'll get and the same level of workmanship as other top end companies.

Going back to Breguet, yes they are no longer the same company that were commissioned to build watches for that list of clients, but in this day and age there are not many companies who are. The main thing is that Swatch, who now own Breguet have kept up the tradition, they have given the Breguet brand the resources and ability to produce watches to the standard that we expect of the name.

The reason Breguet aren't up there with the 'trinity' is simple, at the time of the trinity coming into being, Breguet were in quite a mess, they were basically just the name, the previous company had all but died and the name was all that was really left, but as stated, Swatch have taken that and built on it, it's the same with a few companies, Vacheron Constantin are no longer the same company they used to be, there is no link anymore with their founders, they are owned by Richemont but they still produce watches of the highest quality. Jaeger-LeCoultre are again wholly owned by Richemont, before that they were mostly owned by Audemars Piguet, but they still produce top quality and are in my opinion one of the best movement manufacturers in the world. Panerai as well, a company that was just a name again have been turned into one of the best brands in the watch world, the watches being produced now are even higher quality than when they were the original company, so change and progression isn't always bad.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 03:15 AM   #14
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
Handmade is an interesting topic, there are differing levels, such as some will have it produced by a machine, then hand finish and call it handmade, others will state that it's handmade because it was machined by a watchmaker. In reality handmade should mean just that, completely made by hand and no watch dial or movement can be done that way, so i'd say that the Breguet dial being handmade is as good as you'll get and the same level of workmanship as other top end companies.

Going back to Breguet, yes they are no longer the same company that were commissioned to build watches for that list of clients, but in this day and age there are not many companies who are. The main thing is that Swatch, who now own Breguet have kept up the tradition, they have given the Breguet brand the resources and ability to produce watches to the standard that we expect of the name.

The reason Breguet aren't up there with the 'trinity' is simple, at the time of the trinity coming into being, Breguet were in quite a mess, they were basically just the name, the previous company had all but died and the name was all that was really left, but as stated, Swatch have taken that and built on it, it's the same with a few companies, Vacheron Constantin are no longer the same company they used to be, there is no link anymore with their founders, they are owned by Richemont but they still produce watches of the highest quality. Jaeger-LeCoultre are again wholly owned by Richemont, before that they were mostly owned by Audemars Piguet, but they still produce top quality and are in my opinion one of the best movement manufacturers in the world. Panerai as well, a company that was just a name again have been turned into one of the best brands in the watch world, the watches being produced now are even higher quality than when they were the original company, so change and progression isn't always bad.
Thanks Ryan, that was incredibly informative....and very true, there are quite a few prestigious brands that died during WWI or WWII and are now resurrected today,....i did some further reading...i hadnt realized that it was Chaumet the had made a mess of Breguet...they again Chaumet today is no where what it once used to be...however i guess there is some merit to the Breguet name as it has stood the test of time.
Old 13 March 2010, 03:40 AM   #15
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Beautiful watches on this page.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 03:50 AM   #16
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Very nice watches! I like the blue, and silver complimented with the sapphire sandwich. Very cool!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 04:00 AM   #17
watchteacher

Chaumet actually brought it back to life, hired Daniel Roth to design the resurrected brand, then sold of to Investcorp who sold it to Swatch, as I recall. Roth did a great job in replicating the antique Breguet pocketwatch look onto wristwatches.
Old 13 March 2010, 11:32 PM   #18
everose

Wow..i am glad that i am not the only one to think Breguet is right there competing for first place.

I really think they may have the edge on PP and VC.

My old boss had a vintage Breguet and it mesmerised me more that any other watch i have ever seen.

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 01:27 AM   #19
SLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116520
Thanks to those who posted the recent history of Breguet, I was not familiar with all the changes. In my mind, going back to earlier pocket watch days, Breguet and Patek Philipe really stand out at the top along with a few others.
SLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 03:42 AM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Regardless of what one thinks the fact is the trinity is Patek, AP, and VC. That does not take away from the quality of watches like Breguet but the Trio is the Trio--like it or not. I think Breguet fits right in with others like JLC, IWC, and Lange Sohne--(Lange Sohne)which I happen to think makes the nicest hand wound classic high end watches--but they are not considered the top 3 either. With that said--one can choose any watch they like--and your taste will dictate that. We all have opinions but they are always subjective to our own taste and style. Most high end Swiss watch dealers tell me Rolex is garbage also and is the Timex of Switzerland--I take that in check and still enjoy the brand and own 3 of them. I happen to also think that Breguet you are looking at is beautiful and would make a great addition to anyone's collection!! Just my 2 cents! Ps--Greg--Love your Breguet as also!!! PSS--I think the watch world also considers the Trinity--PP, AP and VC the trinity because all 3 of them also make 1 million dollar plus pieces that are hand made and take over a year to make in extremely limited quantities. The 3 of them also have many watches that are hand made and priced well in the 6 figures. Just another thought!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 04:49 AM   #21
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Ken,

Can't say I agree with you entirely - many brands make $1mil watches - Hublot has the Million Dollar Bang, Genta has the Platinum Arena Tourbillon Perpetual, Greubel Forsey has the quattro tourb... I think it is about heritage of the brand name, no matter whose umbrella they're under. As long as the tradition is kept intact. Breguets are also all handmade (except the XXI) and some of their complications take over 3 years to make. They have quite a few models which are at or over $1mil (Fusee Tourbillon, Classique Grande Complication, the Bi-Tourbillon and quite a few others....) Since 2nd grade, when I got into this whole sickness, I knew about the 'Elite Four'.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 05:07 AM   #22
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Ken,

Can't say I agree with you entirely - many brands make $1mil watches - Hublot has the Million Dollar Bang, Genta has the Platinum Arena Tourbillon Perpetual, Greubel Forsey has the quattro tourb... I think it is about heritage of the brand name, no matter whose umbrella they're under. As long as the tradition is kept intact. Breguets are also all handmade (except the XXI) and some of their complications take over 3 years to make. They have quite a few models which are at or over $1mil (Fusee Tourbillon, Classique Grande Complication, the Bi-Tourbillon and quite a few others....) Since 2nd grade, when I got into this whole sickness, I knew about the 'Elite Four'.
Understood--I was just thinking why the watch collecting community has always looked at those 3 --and was looking for any other tangibles. Breguet has long been high quality and right up there--inventing the tourbillon as well as being a major part contributor in their springs. For me personally--I am not a fan of Patek and think they are overpriced when compared against VC, JLC, Breguet and Lange. AP is in totally different category --mostly sports watches besides their complicated watches. For me--all of those brands make great watches and I can take a few from each one of them and have a world class collection.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 15 March 2010, 05:10 AM   #23
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

don't mean to side-track, but after reading the previous posts I want to know who determines "The Trinity," the only reason that I know AP, VC, and PP are the "Trinity" is because I've read it in other posts around the forum. But who came up with this idea??? of there being a trinity, and what is the basis for to qualify AP, VC, PP to be a part of it? And why don't other brands such as IWC, Lange, Breguet, and etc?
Old 15 March 2010, 05:12 AM   #24
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Again NOT my pics....but i thought i had to put a few pictures of the Classique Grande Complication 5347 - Bi-Tourbillion, completely mesmerizing! Hope u guys like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breguet-2-toubillion-backjpg.jpg (94.2 KB, 1472 views)
File Type: jpg breguet-2-toubillion.jpg (78.4 KB, 1471 views)
Old 15 March 2010, 05:17 AM   #25
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchteacher View Post
Chaumet actually brought it back to life, hired Daniel Roth to design the resurrected brand, then sold of to Investcorp who sold it to Swatch, as I recall. Roth did a great job in replicating the antique Breguet pocketwatch look onto wristwatches.
thanks for the info! lol, i guess i was reading a little to quick and skip out on a few parts.....hahaha i find the history of most watch companies fascinating.....imagine if Rolex or omega didnt survive WWI or WWII, what would brand would this forum be about then???
Old 15 March 2010, 05:25 AM   #26
HL65

Good question: They have held that title as the Big 3 for years--from the high end watch community. IWC was started by an American who went to the german side of Switzerland to start the company. Lange was started in Germany and was siezed after WW2 and shut down when Eastern Germany was siezed. The great grandson rebuilt the company in 1990. Breguet has one of the richest histories in watchmaking dating back to 1775. For some reason the Big 3 maintained that status by the Swiss watchmaking community--lot of articles I have read in past over the years about it. As Greg said though-Breguet is right up there. Again--taste is taste--for me--even though I own AP--have owned all of them and the quality of an A. Lange & Sohne perpetual is hard to match. I can also say after owning a JLC RG Tourbillon--it too was one of the nicest watches I have ever owned--probably nicest--is it considered one of the Trinity--no--who cares though--I loved it!! Again--As I said above--I could pick a few from everyone of those companies and have a world class collection!!! In the end--the Big 3 have always had strong financial pull--that could be another reason in addition to their rich watch history--not sure. A lot of things have changed with the onset of large companies buying out the independent watch houses. Who knows--Greg--chime in at any moment -- I know you have your thoughts as well about it. PS--Yes I have also know of the Elite 4--including Breguet by the way--read that over the years also!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 15 March 2010, 06:19 AM   #27
flmprsrv
Banned

The modern Breguets are gorgeous timepieces. Greg's is a beauty. I continue revisiting them every time I feel in need of a watch, but keep putting off purchase and sticking with the two brands that seem to hold their value far better than others -- Patek and Rolex. The Brequets seem to drop in value precipitously.

If I were to find the right Brequet at the right price, I'd probably jump on it. The other watch that I'd love to own is a Lange. My AD was explaining the Langes to me recently, and I wound one for the first time. Unlike any other watch I'd handled. A question for Greg or others who have the experience -- are the Brequets in the same league as the Blanpain as far as service and reliability? Also, is there any idea as yet as to how the Langes hold up in value?
flmprsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 06:39 AM   #28
Sarastro
"TRF" Member

Interesting topic. I also like the Marine Big Date as well as the Classique, but I like the yellow gold with the brown strap. They just look ... opulent! And the details like the Breguet hands and the guilloche dials make these watches so gorgeous. Thanks, Greg, for posting the pic of yours - lovely watch! I keep looking around at the second-hand market for these or some Patek that really grabs me - new prices are beyond what I'm willing to part with.

Ed
Sarastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 01:17 PM   #29
limenko
"TRF" Member

I like Breguet becasue of their history. I bought mine because it is so understaed and not many pepole know what it is. Here are a couple of pics.

and I love the coin edge
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 01:36 PM   #30
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

I'm confused - surely poor reliability should be a major factor in deciding what constitutes a high quality watch?

If the movement is particularly fragile (as many owners seem to testify) it's not really much more than a beautiful paperweight.

Sorry to hijack the thread but surely this is really important?