The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 May 2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Altair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5270
IWC Big Pilot Detailed Review

Posted this on another forum but thought I would repost for my friends here

In my earlier review of the IWC Big Engineer, I called the Big Pilot the flag ship of the IWC brand, and with good reason. There are more expensive, technically advanced models but the BP was universally accepted as the quintessential modern interpretation of the original B-Uhrn, and considering how many others there are that is saying something!

I also said I could not justify owning both the BI and BP due to the similarities and cost, and that I preferred the BI due to the more appealing case design, complex engineering, and display back but the BP was still on the mind and I just had to finally cave in, I am weak that way but it is great to have these two power reserve monsters united.

I have decided to do pictorial reviews of all my watches, new and previously acquired. I certainly enjoy the ones other people post and hope this will serve as a guide for others both in terms of the pictures and information, I will think of these as an opportunity for me and you to learn about these watches and a chance for me to practice my second language, English. Please bear with me.

A quick note, the information in this review has been collected from printed and online publications, many thanks to the original authors/researchers.

History and beginnings
As Breitling enthusiasts, or at least appreciators, I think it is safe to say that we all have something for aviation and military heritage, as well as the obvious horological inclination. Some of you lucky bastards out there are pilots, either civilian or military, amateur or professional, but I am content riding the commercial planes, playing the simulation games, and wearing the watches.

There are a number of fascinating and iconic military watches, the Original Breitling Navitimer, the 1950 Panerai Luminor, and the Rolex Milsub and others, but my current favorite has to be the German B-Uhren.

The first ever instance of the Navigation instrument was a collaboration effort between Lt. Commander Weems and Longines, that’s right, Longines created the precedence to the B-Uhren! It was 48mm and had a center seconds dial and production started somewhere around 1929 (if the patent is any indication at least)

I was surprised Longines did not have their own homage; further research shows that they indeed have a B-Uhren themed watch in the form of the Longines Weems, it just did not look that similar to the sea of other clones and replicas (or replikas as the case may be) but rather paid an understated nod to the man who started it all and naming it after him.

The Longines Weems

Modern

Vintage

By the time WWII broke out in September 1939, The German Luftwaffe was one of the strongest, most doctrinally advanced and most battle-experienced air forces in the world. Officially unveiled in 1935, in violation of the Treaty of Versailles, its purpose was to support Adolf ......'s Blitzkrieg across Europe. The aircraft that were to serve in the Luftwaffe were of a new age and far superior to that of most other nations in the 1930s. Types like the Junkers Ju 87 Stuka and Messerschmitt Bf 109 came to symbolize German aerial might. These planes had become an essential and tremendously effective wartime weapon, and mass production of the planes, armaments, and navigations tools had started. Of the most essential navigation tools where the accurate, anti magnetic, chronometer grade watches the German Luftwaffe demanded. The main supplier, A. Lange and Sohne, simply could not produce enough quantities so four other companies where contracted. They are: International Watch Company, Laco, Stowa and Wempe.

The watches where initially called “Beobachtungs-uhr” which literally meant observation watch, and the common name, the B- Uhren, has been directly derived from that term even though the watch was also called a navigation watch and a pilot watch. The Weems-Longines watch was obviously a strong inspiration.

The initial 1200 produced in 1942 where commissioned to the German Luftwaffe and British Deck Officers.

The basic requirements design wise are compiled here:

1- 55mm Diameter. Most high quality pocket watch movements of the time where in excess of 44mm so any watches that incorporated those movements had to be >50mm. This was very desirable as the large size would increase visibility as the pilots had to deal with varied weather conditions and thick goggles.

2- Arabic numerals (in contrast to the Romans commonly used at the time). As early western mathematicians had studied the works of Al-Khawarizmi, Al kindi, and other Arabic mathematicians they came to adopt the numeric and notational system, while the rest of the society still used Roman numerals, especially the literary community, and thus the Arabic numerals where associated with scientific and purposeful endeavors while the Roman numeral systems had a more romantic and whimsical appeal. Reading the time in Arabic numeration would translate more directly to the mathematic equations of navigators. To this day instrument watches still use Arabics while dress watches might use Romans or maybe indices. This is hardly a rule but a generalization.

3- The use of central seconds time. Obviously for exact measurements, The officers would listen in to the minute beeps on their radios to periodically readjust the timing on their watches as minute differences in time could lead to large miscalculation in fuel consumption or flight time and could literally be a matter of life or death.

4- Large “onion” crown. As the pilots had to put up with large gloves and timing was everything, the crown had to be usable at a seconds notice so the crown was designed to be large and with rivets for an enhanced grip.

5- Anti Magnetic case. Soft iron shielding would be used to ensure accuracy even if the watch had been subjected to a magnetic field, common for military pilots.

6- Hack capable movement, which is to say a movement that stops when the crown is pulled. Again to allow for exact measuring and resetting of time.

7- Most believe the characteristic triangle on the dial was designed to immediately assign the topmost orientation during night flight, although that is true it is not the sole purpose. it was also used as a solar compass to find the earth’s true north in conjunction with sextants, compass and data charts

8- Buffalo strap, super long to allow for wearing over thick flight jackets riveted to allow for size adjustment.

The military issue of the original B-Uhren

To this day no single company can claim sole ownership of the design, as it was the result of a medley of circumstances and requirements and produced by several firms.

In Action:

Right: German Navigator uses his navigation watch to calculate flight consumption.
Left: German officers synchronizing their B-Uhrens prior to take off.

Laco also made an exact replication of the original, down to the 55mm diameter. Unwearable but collectable. Not unlike the 60mm Panerai Egiziano.

Image found via Google Image Search, apologies to owner for borrowing without consent but the image was not attached with any information.

Stowa is another brand that makes excellent Pilots, though they are a bit small for my tastes. Steinhart is a small German firm that makes excellent homage to the B-Uhren and has very good prices, I recommend you check them out.

But when all is said and done, the most perfectly conceived, masterfully engineered, and supremely built of all the watches that are inspired by the B-Uhrn, is without a doubt the renowned IWC Big Pilot.

If you go back to the list of the original B-uhren specs, you will notice that IWC followed the original criteria to the T. Only doing away with the unattractive central seconds counter (Thank God!!) and diminishing the size to a civil 46mm. The remaining power reserve is elegantly portrayed in the subdial.

The IWC Big pilot has been outfitted with the spectacular caliber 51111, a 42 jewel 8.5 day power reserve behemoth measuring in at and producing 21,600 vibrations per hour. Although the movement has a rating of over 8.5 days, an ingenious mechanism stops the watch when it has 36 hours remaining to prevent the unavoidable decrease in torque as the mainspring winds down and the resultant significant decrease in accuracy. Hence the 7 day power indicator on the dial.

The other main feature of the Calibre 51111 movement is the much touted Pellaton Winding System, originally created by the IWC Technical Director, Albert Pellaton in the 1940's. In contrast to standard watch design, the movement of the rotor is not transmitted to a wheel train via a gear system but through a cam which increases the durability of the rotor wheel.

The caliber shows signs of expert craftsmanship and is nicely decorated; the gold engraving on the rotor is a really nice touch.
Due to the soft iron case back and my reluctance to open this prized watch up, here are some pictures from the identical movement from my IWC Big Inge.

The case itself is in classical B-Uhr design and the finishing and treatment is superb as is to be expected from IWC. Its 46mm size is extremely attractive yet comfortable and the 15mm height, due to the soft iron cage produced a happy coincidence as it prevents the beautiful and large diamond shaped crown from digging into your gloveless hand when bent backwards. I could wax lyrical about its craftsmanship and design but I will spare you and they do say a picture is worth a thousand words.
The dial, with its glossy black sheen, crisp white Arabic numerals, and striking white hands is extremely attractive yet purposeful. I have to say I love the fact that they changed the date wheel to black, raised the triangle marker, and minimized the minute marker size. This is obviously an attempt to clean up the dial and unify the surface, which works amazingly well! I just wish they had not added the little bit of red on the power reserve indicator; it is too sporty and lively for a somber yet elegant watch derived from a war instrument and rubs against the grain so to speak. In fact that has to be my only complaint on an otherwise perfect dial and something I can definitely live with.

This is not the first B-Uhr reincarnation IWC attempted; in fact IWC can be credited with the reintroduction of the B-Uhr to the civilian watch market. Their first attempts where much smaller watches with movements sourced from JLC, ETA, and later their inhouse 31110 movement. The slow and steady improvement and many revitalizations and reinventing in their lineup has finally resulted in the IWC BP, a thoroughly thought out, masterfully engineered and executed modern interpretation of the B-Uhren and in my opinion the undeniable zenith of that legacy.

Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Spencer
"TRF" Member

No responses to this thread?!?!!?!?!?

Thanks for the GREAT review. Looking forward to getting my Big Pilot soon.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Good thread. I saw one of these in Burlington Arcade last week. Snapped a pic, not knowing it would come in handy so quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b-uhr.jpg (55.1 KB, 1971 views)
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
multimedia
"TRF" Member

WOW, fantastic read!

Thx for sharing.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 19 May 2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
Good thread. I saw one of these in Burlington Arcade last week. Snapped a pic, not knowing it would come in handy so quickly.
NICE

What was it going for?

Old 19 May 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Tripod

Great review. Thanks for posting it here. Tried on a Big Pilot the other day hoping it wouldn't look too big on my wrist...unfortunately, it was. I'll be getting the Portuguese automatic (5001) instead.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 04:19 PM   #7
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
nice - thanks!
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very nice read, thank you.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
fantastic review! you got me drooling for a big pilot, I liked them but never really understood the watch, and now I do, thanks!!!
Old 19 May 2010, 07:46 PM   #10
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
Great review,lust after it, but tried it on just a bit too big for me ,a real shame
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin7 View Post
Great review,lust after it, but tried it on just a bit too big for me ,a real shame
It's a big watch, but it works on most wrists sizes. IWC BP will be my next watch purchase, god willing by years end

Old 9 June 2010, 02:45 AM   #12
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Great info and review!!
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2010, 03:31 AM   #13
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Awesome! I love the IWC Big Pilot.

I just bought this one last week, it's a Steinhart. 47mm. Looks like the original military model, but they took some liberties with the materials used...

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 12:06 PM   #14
thesaint2009
2024 Pledge Member

The Big Pilot is iconic !!!
thesaint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 12:28 PM   #15
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
A very well-written, fantastic review - you should be commended for taking the time to write such a detailed yet concise post.

But you're a #*$^% - because now I kind of want one....
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 12:58 PM   #16
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
nice sharing.... it's a piece of historical item....
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 01:23 PM   #17
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
I love this stuff - !
Outstanding review !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 02:54 AM   #18
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Nice review!

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 06:05 AM   #19
Luv2watches

Watch: On which day?
Great review and stunning pictures. Its a little painful to see though because I almost bought one last year but passed it up for a 7 day p.r. Portuguese. I dont regret the decision, but I still want a BP. It looked soooo good on the wrist.
Luv2watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:39 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Good read!

Thanks for putting it together.
I love the BP and what IWC has to offer.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 10:36 AM   #21
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Thank you for the work you put into this. Great information and the pics are incredible. I learned a lot... so that is why those crowns are so large.... gloves.. of course. I love the style of the original B-Uhren I like a watch that is sport, holds function over flash, and can be read at a glance.

The Big Pilot is well… Big. However, with the true in house 31110 movement IWC has developed a masterpiece for this style of watch. I own the IWC Mark XVI, and I love it. However, for this style of watch my grail is the Glashutte Senator Navigator Panorama Date

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 12:18 AM   #22
Chronos22
"TRF" Member

Hacking function of the BUhr

Enjoyable review. As far as I know the original BUhr did not have the hacking function that we know today. If the crown was pulled out the seconds hand would run until it hit "12" and then it would stop. All pilots would then synchronise their watches. Perhaps the IWC Big Pilot has this function? It would be a pity if it does not. Many of the hand wound BUhr currently sold by Tourby, Laco and others contain the Unitas pocket watch movement which is modified to accommodate a central seconds hand which stops at "12" when the crown is pulled out.
Chronos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 03:38 AM   #23
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes
No, the big pilot does not have this function .... I own one. Shame. The function sounds very good.
PP 5065a
Friedl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Chronos22
"TRF" Member

Hacking function of the BP

And the absence of that original feature in the BP is the sole factor that keeps me from acquiring one.
Chronos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 01:11 AM   #25
kb24
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC 26320 Black
the iwc BP has to be my favourite IWC model.. i previously own an iwc aquatimer but im going to add this BP to my collection soon.. the robust dial, rugged strap, eye catching fish crown and an overall manly appeal just does it for me..

take note, i have a small wrist however when i tried the iwc BP at an AD, it fit me perfectly fine.. just need to get the XS strap and its good to go.. seems like iwc kept all factors in mind before coming out with the BP..

btw, the BI is nice but the BP tops it by a mile..
kb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 04:44 AM   #26
psv
"TRF" Member

LOVE the Big Pilot! Great review/info!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2015, 03:39 PM   #27
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Bump for a great thread/review!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2015, 06:54 PM   #28
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Agree, this thread deserves a bump, very nice watch this BP
Old 16 May 2015, 02:46 AM   #29
Ticking_Sonata
"TRF" Member

Woww great review. You make me wanna buy BP 5009 so badly now
Ticking_Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 03:22 AM   #30
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Great reveiw and bump! I also love the BP and just got a pristine ultra rare 5002 Transitional. Look froward to enjoying it! Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote