The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 September 2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Craig321Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Icon7 What is the cheapest country to buy a Rolex?

So the world is getting smaller...

Let's be honest if you can afford to buy a Rolex you can probably afford to travel.

However, just because we have a little money we still like to pick up a little bargain now and again.

So my question is this:

Where in the world is the NEW Rolex the cheapest?

What I'm looking for is the full package taking the following into account:

You will export the watch so you will get back the sales tax / VAT - assume you will forget to tell your local customs when you get home about your new Rolex

You will negotiate a discount of some kind with the AD - some ADs will not always be as generous as others.

So in this global marker which country is cheapest? Perhaps one with a high sales tax % as you'll hopefully get the back on export. Perhaps your well known local AD as you've been buying from him for years.

As I do like collecting watches I'm very interested on your thoughts as to how we can save a few $$$$
Old 4 September 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Switzerland should be a good place to Rolex as far as I have heard, but I don't know if this is true since I have never been to Switzerland (I'd love to, though).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 4 September 2007, 03:28 AM   #3
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
I was in Bermuda a few years back and they offered 10% off and there is no sales tax there. As for customs... Don't have a clue...
Old 4 September 2007, 03:48 AM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I would say that it all depends on your relationship with the dealer. I have seen very good deals here (Cancun) and also St Thomas; but most times AD who I buy from in the US matches or even surpasses those prices. I know they (in the US) do not do this with all customers; so once again, relationship.
Old 4 September 2007, 04:08 AM   #5
JAD3703
Non-Member

Relationships Drive It

I second GerardoG's point. It's all about relationships: both how much you trust your AD as well as how much they trust you. Rolex watches prices pretty closely and the latitude they give their ADs on prices is minimal. So if your AD trusts you, they will work a better deal for you.

I would say that any place where you can get a decent discount, not pay taxes and then not pay home-country customs duties and taxes is a great deal. Unfortunately, your home country invariably wants their cut.

James

"AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I'll either find a way or make one"
Old 4 September 2007, 04:16 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I would say Hong Kong - still the best place to buy any watch.

Just make sure you go to an AD.....too many tempting fly-by-night jewellery shops around with superb fakes.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 4 September 2007, 06:04 AM   #7
triplelake

Watch: SS Daytona
I also agree that HK's the best place to buy a Rolex. The only exception is Daytona which is actually more expensive in HK than the US due to high demand from Japan.
Old 4 September 2007, 06:27 AM   #8
MAXI DIAL
"TRF" Member

Been to H.K. more than 20 times (for work)
Prices in H.K. are similar to G.C.C. countries. (if not more)
G.C.C. includes (Qatar, Oman, U.A.E., Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Kuwait)
no tax in G.C.C.
Old 4 September 2007, 08:57 AM   #9
GrandDaddy
Banned

Until I win the big Lotto jackpot, I will not associate "cheap" with Rolex. Inexpensive, maybe, but not cheap.
Old 4 September 2007, 09:09 AM   #10
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Given that exchange rates change all day long and that there is in most cases import/export taxes, I would think this would change constantly and by the time you bought your ticket, well, you might be out of luck and I doubt you would save enough to make a real difference. Is it worth a little extra currency to put a smile on your deserving local dealer? Sure, you may not get the ultimate deal in the world, but at least you are giving business to your "neighbors" who also have to eat.
Old 4 September 2007, 09:20 AM   #11
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
I agree with those that said that Hong Kong was the least expensive place to buy a Rolex.

Although I heard the Japan is a very good place to look as well. You can buy a SS Submariner Date over there for the equivalent of around $4,100 USD. Here in the US, the MSRP of the Sub is $5175 USD so you are saving a good amount of money.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
Old 4 September 2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Here in Macau and Hong Kong I have that the prices are near the cheapest. All the watches I have bought I have not found cheaper anywhere else.

Pay cash and it gets better....
Old 4 September 2007, 10:47 AM   #13
supermarz
"TRF" Member

definitely not australia
Old 4 September 2007, 11:51 AM   #14
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
The warning is well taken! I was in Beijing about 2 years ago. You can buy rolex or patek (or anything else for that matter) in stores for the better fakes at about $100 U.S. They look and feel like the real thing, but have a cheap movement inside. They last anywhere from a month or two to two years. In Thailand, or Burma(on the other hand) the fakes are clearly fake, like on the streets of NY. So, have not been in Hong Kong, but anywhere in Asia, buy only from someone you know for a long time or from an authorized dealer. In China, the gov. must be taking payoffs to allow large manufacturing operations to go on unimpeded...and you cannot be too careful.
Old 4 September 2007, 11:57 AM   #15
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Our canadian dollar is alomst on par with the american dollar which means some good deals can be had in the US of A
Old 4 September 2007, 11:58 AM   #16
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
The warning is well taken! I was in Beijing about 2 years ago. You can buy rolex or patek (or anything else for that matter) in stores for the better fakes at about $100 U.S. They look and feel like the real thing, but have a cheap movement inside. They last anywhere from a month or two to two years. In Thailand, or Burma(on the other hand) the fakes are clearly fake, like on the streets of NY. So, have not been in Hong Kong, but anywhere in Asia, buy only from someone you know for a long time or from an authorized dealer. In China, the gov. must be taking payoffs to allow large manufacturing operations to go on unimpeded...and you cannot be too careful.
I would assume anywhere in asia you would have to be careful about fakes
Old 4 September 2007, 12:01 PM   #17
lostsub

Watch: 116520 , SD
Ever try to get it in the cruise ship? I think Royal Carribbean has Rloex on board, I could be wrong...
Old 4 September 2007, 12:02 PM   #18
kirklau

was wondering, say you buy a Rolex in Hong Kong, or anywhere in the world that one feels are being offered a good price, you return to your home country with your new watch, and you get taxed and customs on it, would you not be paying around the same price as you would be if the watch was bought in the home country anyways?
Old 4 September 2007, 12:25 PM   #19
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklau View Post
was wondering, say you buy a Rolex in Hong Kong, or anywhere in the world that one feels are being offered a good price, you return to your home country with your new watch, and you get taxed and customs on it, would you not be paying around the same price as you would be if the watch was bought in the home country anyways?
Depending on what you get taxed....Yes!!

So it really is up to you!!
Old 4 September 2007, 12:36 PM   #20
kirklau

That was what I thought. And if you try to smuggle one back, it is illegal. It does not leave one with too many choices but to buy one in your home country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daunwaun View Post
Depending on what you get taxed....Yes!!

So it really is up to you!!
Old 4 September 2007, 01:30 PM   #21
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Hong Kong and Kuala Lumbur, Malaysia. Duty Free from Tax, so good deals.
Old 4 September 2007, 01:30 PM   #22
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

really?? great info leopardprey!!
Old 4 September 2007, 03:29 PM   #23
Craig321Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Luckily I do live in a tax free country, so probably one of the best things for me to do is to buy a Daytona in the US without sales taxes and have it shipped to Kuwait.

If customs decide to charge any taxes it's normally only 5%, from what you say this is probably the best plan.

I had heard that Hong Kong is a good place to buy a Rolex too. One of the gray import shops here in Kuwait gets most of his stock from HK.
Old 4 September 2007, 04:47 PM   #24
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
The night markets in Bangkok
Old 4 September 2007, 05:17 PM   #25
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Exactly right idea...if you can afford a ROLEX so it means that probably you can afford to travel, with just 30 USD I will fly to BASEL from ISTANBUL with Easyjet and I will buy my ROLEX and I will come back when I will have total.
Old 8 September 2007, 08:29 PM   #26
LL1979

anyone have some Hongkong "alanfurman like" webshops?
Old 9 September 2007, 01:09 PM   #27
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
The cheapest place to buy a Rolex is your nearest AD. You might pay a little more but you will save a lot.
1. Peace of mind
2. Rolex Warranty
3. AD warranty (another 2 yrs)
4. A reputable place where you can take your watch to(they know you)
5. You are buying the real thing
Old 9 September 2007, 01:29 PM   #28
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
LouCan has it exactly right. You can spend thousands running around but just go to your AD and you will avoid a lot of heartache. I do say to folks as does Kansaivet that Oregon in the states, if you are near there, is a great place to shop. There are AD's who give 10% discounts and there is not tax. Not all of them, in fact my AD does not give discount but I go there anyway for other reasons. But, Kansaivet just had some Scotch with Downing in Portland at his AD, and he can help you if you ask. And that is a real AD too.

But why not be part of your community and just go local, make a business friend, get on the short list for more rare watches....good local business. Why run all over the world for a silly watch when it is right next door.......
Old 9 September 2007, 02:26 PM   #29
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
LouCan has it exactly right. You can spend thousands running around but just go to your AD and you will avoid a lot of heartache. I do say to folks as does Kansaivet that Oregon in the states, if you are near there, is a great place to shop. There are AD's who give 10% discounts and there is not tax. Not all of them, in fact my AD does not give discount but I go there anyway for other reasons. But, Kansaivet just had some Scotch with Downing in Portland at his AD, and he can help you if you ask. And that is a real AD too.

But why not be part of your community and just go local, make a business friend, get on the short list for more rare watches....good local business. Why run all over the world for a silly watch when it is right next door.......
True enough! Downing and I at our AD in Oregon. Me with my new Explorer II and Downing with his new Seadweller! A couple of Scotches too served by staff there. Discounts, no sales tax and booze!!

Last edited by Gaijin; 9 September 2007 at 07:06 PM..
Old 9 September 2007, 04:27 PM   #30
747jetdriver

JAPAN is cheapest

Take it from a Rolex fan that lives in Japan..

Japan is very cheap for both new and used, the supply and demand here is in our favour.

Japanese loves namebrands so the supply is overwhelming..

Just an example..looked at a Submariner w/out date for a friend yesterday, brand new 420.000 yen.

Closed Thread