The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 January 2013, 01:42 AM   #121
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Just to make this clear as reading some post it's seems there is some confusion. Grand Seiko has been out for over 50 years and they have made high standard luxury watches since day one. It's not that seiko is trying to upgrade their image all of a sudden, it's just now they are allowing the rest of the world to enjoy their best kept secret.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/
Have to agree but today little is still known about the Grand Seiko and Credor range in the west.Much like Rolex was first in the USA it was not till the the late 1930-40s that Rolex found its retail way to USA.But most of the rest of the world had them since RWC was founded.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 January 2013, 01:43 AM   #122
Nodelicious
"TRF" Member

I wonder which product costs more to build - an automatic Stainless date Rolex or an Automatic Stainless Grand Seiko....
Old 3 January 2013, 01:55 AM   #123
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodelicious View Post
I wonder which product costs more to build - an automatic Stainless date Rolex or an Automatic Stainless Grand Seiko....
Every Grand Seiko, Credor and even Seiko Prospex MarineMaster is entirely made, assembled and polished by hand by a master watchmaker in a single facility dedicated to it.

Not sure you can say the same for Rolexes (maybe yes, I simply don't know).
Old 3 January 2013, 01:56 AM   #124
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
I cannot say for sure. GS however is 'hand assembled' whereas Rolex is not. Does that really matter in this day and age with the technology and robots? probably not but there is something to be said about owning a 'hand assembled' watch as opposed to a mass produced piece.
Old 3 January 2013, 01:57 AM   #125
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Every Grand Seiko, Credor and even Seiko Prospex MarineMaster is entirely made, assembled and polished by hand by a master watchmaker in a single facility dedicated to it.

Not sure you can say the same for Rolexes (maybe yes, I simply don't know).
you beat me to it
Old 3 January 2013, 02:00 AM   #126
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Just to make this clear as reading some post it's seems there is some confusion. Grand Seiko has been out for over 50 years and they have made high standard luxury watches since day one. It's not that seiko is trying to upgrade their image all of a sudden, it's just now they are allowing the rest of the world to enjoy their best kept secret.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/
Just for the sake of correctness, during the late seventies the brand Grand Seiko was discontinued with the event of the HAQ, the so-called Twin Quartzes. The "Grand Quartz" brand was used instead.

The brand was eventually resurrected years later.
Old 3 January 2013, 02:23 AM   #127
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Just for the sake of correctness, during the late seventies the brand Grand Seiko was discontinued with the event of the HAQ, the so-called Twin Quartzes. The "Grand Quartz" brand was used instead.

The brand was eventually resurrected years later.
This is correct but the point still remains that the image of the brand was always the same since since its first day. To make extraordinary watches
Old 3 January 2013, 02:23 AM   #128
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I don't see the grand Seiko going up 8 percent every year in price. Also when you die leave one of your children a Seiko and leave the other one a rolex. I have a feeling there is a possibility one of them might end up in the trash. If I'm buying a Seiko it will be a 200 dollar quartz one that will tell better time than the grand Seiko automatic. Sorry but in the end its just a Seiko and you just dropped rolex money on it.
My 21 year old son owns two Seiko's. He would love to own a GS. Someday he will inherit all of whatever happens to be in my collection. I'd love for a GS to be part of that.
Old 3 January 2013, 02:40 AM   #129
RolexDivers
Banned

I did a search on ebay on GS. I found tons of them --- each with a different design. The fact that there is suh a large variety of GSes out there alone is a major turnoff for me towards this watch. The GS is another mass produced watch that is the flagship of SEIKO
and that's pretty much all there is to it. In the end, if I am gonna drop ROLEX $$ on a watch, then it is going to be a ROLEX and nothing else because nothing else deserves that kind of money.
Old 3 January 2013, 02:44 AM   #130
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I don't see the grand Seiko going up 8 percent every year in price. Also when you die leave one of your children a Seiko and leave the other one a rolex. I have a feeling there is a possibility one of them might end up in the trash. If I'm buying a Seiko it will be a 200 dollar quartz one that will tell better time than the grand Seiko automatic. Sorry but in the end its just a Seiko and you just dropped rolex money on it.

Old 3 January 2013, 02:58 AM   #131
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
I did a search on ebay on GS. I found tons of them --- each with a different design. The fact that there is suh a large variety of GSes out there alone is a major turnoff for me towards this watch. The GS is another mass produced watch that is the flagship of SEIKO
and that's pretty much all there is to it. In the end, if I am gonna drop ROLEX $$ on a watch, then it is going to be a ROLEX and nothing else because nothing else deserves that kind of money.
eBay is a world wide search. Almost all the ones you saw especially the new ones are all from Japan. If you search Patek you will get 71 pages of stuff so what does that matter? Grand seiko is still more exclusive in the US then most brands and you will likely never see one in a store. Can't say that about Rolex who makes over 800,000 watches a year and preowned models are sold in non AD's all over the country.

Rolex and GS are my top two favorite brands but to be honest SOME owners perspective on their ownership of a Rolex can be a turn off.
Old 3 January 2013, 03:12 AM   #132
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Some of the attitude in this thread is embarrassing to me as a Rolex owner. I will likely add a Spring Drive to my collection one day.
Old 3 January 2013, 03:18 AM   #133
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
It's comparable, if you compare similar models. The GS is, however, more exclusive, and greater care is taken at a piece-by-piece level in the production of a GS.

Source: Watchmaker, Self proclaimed Seiko expert, multiple Rolex model owner, World Traveller, and Man of the World.
Old 3 January 2013, 03:30 AM   #134
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Rolex is extremely adept at large scale automated manufacturing. I can't see any possible way that a Rolex isn't much much cheaper to produce than a Grand Seiko. As I understand it, GS makes about 5,000 watches a year while Rolex makes more like 750,000 - just from an economies of scale perspective Rolex will enjoy huge cost savings.
Old 3 January 2013, 03:32 AM   #135
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Another quality post from the originator of "the G_d of watches". GS makes 5,000 watches, and Rolex makes over 750,000. Which one is more "massed produced"?
Old 3 January 2013, 03:37 AM   #136
Speed
"TRF" Member

Firstly I am a Seiko fan. Love the smooth sweep hand due to the hi beat movement.

I've looked at the photos of the GS models on this thread. Definitely some resemblance to a smooth domed DJ.

Can someone point out where the build quality differences stand out and are superior to a Rolex?? Movement aside, I would love to understand the differences.

Thanks!
Old 3 January 2013, 04:06 AM   #137
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Some GS history in English

http://www.seiyajapan.com/category/gs_history/
Old 3 January 2013, 04:06 AM   #138
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
...... Everyone thinking the Seiko as crap which makes it a great bordello watch.
Thanks for the great chuckle in reading that comment!
Old 3 January 2013, 04:23 AM   #139
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Another quality post from the originator of "the G_d of watches". GS makes 5,000 watches, and Rolex makes over 750,000. Which one is more "massed produced"?
Have to agree but IMHO he just knows a brand and not how any mechanical watch actually works.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 January 2013, 04:30 AM   #140
lordcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 SD_Z serial
Just figured id chime in here. I used to own a Seiko MM300 that showed higher quality control and build quality than most Rolex's that ive come into owning, and thats not even part of their GS line.

The people knocking GS or Seiko in general are just simply uneducated in the matter.

-j
Old 3 January 2013, 04:32 AM   #141
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree but IMHO he just knows a brand and not how any mechanical watch actually works.
I agree with you 100%. I succeed in letting most of that nonsense go, but sometimes it's a bridge too far.
Old 3 January 2013, 04:54 AM   #142
mr S
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, PAM, Rolex
Last time I was in Tokyo I hesitated to buy a Springdrive. Instead I bought a limited edition Speedy. The heritage won over the mechanics.

But a GS is essential in a balanced watch collection. So next time...
Old 3 January 2013, 05:11 AM   #143
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I handled a couple at the London GTG at Salon QP. They were nice pieces but I thought the lugholes and stamped clasp & extension system belied a very expensive watch. Personally I'd go for another Rolex before a GS
Old 3 January 2013, 05:12 AM   #144
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Personally I'd go for another Rolex before a GS
This

Best
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 3 January 2013, 05:17 AM   #145
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 3 January 2013, 05:18 AM   #146
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post

Old 3 January 2013, 05:20 AM   #147
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I handled a couple at the London GTG at Salon QP. They were nice pieces but I thought the lugholes and stamped clasp & extension system belied a very expensive watch. Personally I'd go for another Rolex before a GS
Yes I would too. With Rolex you are getting much much more than just the watch. With a ROLEX, You are getting the following:

1) a watch that is extremely well made.
2) the ROLEX name.
3) guaranteed resale value increases
4) tremendous customer service

So the GS can be a milion times better watch than a ROLEX sub for instance but ROLEX winshands down because SEIKO just can not offer a safe place to park your money, like ROLEX does.
Old 3 January 2013, 05:29 AM   #148
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Did some research-

The GS SBGH001 (with a 9s85 mechanical; i.e. not Spring Drive Movement) is a SS watch that appears to be the equivalent of a DateJust. Its retail price, as far as I can tell, is $7000 (hard to get prices on these online). How does that compare to a SS DJII with a plain bezel, which is the nearest equivalent I can think of?
Old 3 January 2013, 05:29 AM   #149
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I would too. With Rolex you are getting much much more than just the watch. With a ROLEX, You are getting the following:

1) a watch that is extremely well made.
2) the ROLEX name.
3) guaranteed resale value increases
4) tremendous customer service

So the GS can be a milion times better watch than a ROLEX sub for instance but ROLEX winshands down because SEIKO just can not offer a safe place to park your money, like ROLEX does.
Maybe some folks would prefer to buy a watch to have a watch...and not as an investment.

Old 3 January 2013, 05:31 AM   #150
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:

Your comments are hilarious. We are on a Rolex Forum and the members are defending Grand Seiko and you still keep making these ridiculous statements.

This is what you are saying:
"A better watch but the less better watch wins hands down!"

The question was build quality not resale value!

You should do some unbiased research on Grand Seiko before making such strong opinions.
Closed Thread