The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 August 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Zodiac Seawolf
Longines Conquest watch, any good?

I have been lusting after an Explorer 1 39mm for months now, but what has really held me up is the lack of a date window. I check the date quite frequently, frequently enough that I would miss it on a daily wearer.

I have been cruising the different brands to see if there was something similar looking and I found the Longines Conquest model which looks real similar.

I know this watch is not a Rolex, but it is a Longines (is that a "real" mid level luxury brand?) has a screw down crown is 30Bar WR, has AR Sapphire crystal and solid case back like the Explorer.

The only draw back on it was the earlier models had no lume, the new model listed in the Longines website " ConquestL3.677.4.58.6 " is now listed with lume.

Anyone know anything about these watches and how they are?
Charles Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2013, 04:30 PM   #2
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
Longines is not comparable to Rolex in any way, shape or form. However, choosing a watch is a personal decision, so you should choose whatever makes you happy. However, if I were in your shoes, I think I would start regretting having bought a Longines instead of the Rolex after a while. Longines uses ETA movements, and resale value is considerably lower. I would still lust for the Rolex after having bought the Longines, because Rolex is the better watch here. Rolex will always be a classis, I do not think that can be said about the Longines.
tavv160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

There isn't too many other Rolexes besides the Explorer 1 that appeals to me, the subs all look completely passé. over copied and cloned. I own a Sub I bought in a Hong Kong jewelry store back in 1995 for $1,700, and I never wear it!

The Yacht Master II looks good, but way beyond my budget, unless I wanted a divorce.

The Explorer II isn't bad, although the Cyclops would have to go!

I'm not lusting after a brand name not looking for resale value, I'm looking for a solid high quality watch.
Old 28 August 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

I got to play around with a hydroconquest http://www.longines.com/watches/long.../L3.284.4.56.6

and for something that was 1000+$$ it didnt feel good at all. Felt a little cheap. Bezel was not precise and the feel was subpar. It was heavy though just not the quality I like. A seiko feels much better in my hands
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz24 View Post
I got to play around with a hydroconquest http://www.longines.com/watches/long.../L3.284.4.56.6

and for something that was 1000+$$ it didnt feel good at all. Felt a little cheap. Bezel was not precise and the feel was subpar. It was heavy though just not the quality I like. A seiko feels much better in my hands

Thanks for the info, I haven't seen too many Longines "out in the wild", and never saw a Conquest at all.

Next stop, a Ball Engineer II red label 40mm. Looks great in photos, but once again I have never seen any Ball in person, and no stores in the Phoenix Arizona area carry them.

Or maybe I will get another Tag Link, I'm selling my Link auto Chrono, too bulky and heavy. Maybe a caliber 5 day/date or a caliber 6 would do. I really do love the link bracelet, most comfortable and high quality bracelet I have ever worn.
Old 30 August 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
spiceballs

Watch: all
I haven't seen the Longines Hydroconquest so I can't comment. But I have a Longines Flagship quartz (yes, I realize far-removed from LH) since 1998 and its still pristine (case, face, hands and strap in gold & sliver - plated) and keeps excellent time. Yes, Longines uses only ETA movements but because they are part of the Swatch group, these are top end ETA.
spiceballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2013, 02:23 AM   #7
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
The Hydroconquest automatic is a great watch for the price. It is well made, has a great emobossed caseback and a solid overall feel.
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2013, 03:01 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ford View Post
I know this watch is not a Rolex, but it is a Longines (is that a "real" mid level luxury brand?) has a screw down crown is 30Bar WR, has AR Sapphire crystal and solid case back like the Explorer.
Longines makes a fine watch.

I have learned over the years to NEVER settle when buying a watch.

If you know it is not a Rolex and want a Rolex, then buy a Rolex. If not, you will eventually get what you want and likely have to flip what you bought for a loss, believe me I know!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote