The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 October 2016, 11:38 AM   #1
jnewell
"TRF" Member

5513 Question

I will concede up front that this is probably a stupid question best answered by something like "it's your watch and your money, do what YOU want!" However, you all have a lot more knowledge than I have and your responses will be valuable.

I have been looking for a 5513 for a bit. It will be for daily wear, not collection or investment purposes. I prefer buying locally from a dealer I trust, understanding that I will pay a premium for that.

I found an L-series 5513 that I like at a local dealer, priced in the mid-$5K range. It's in nice, used, serviced condition. Here's the thing: I thought I understood that the dial and hands were original. As you can see in the pic below, the dial is a WG "Swiss" so it's clearly a service replacement, as the hands are likely to be.

I am a little on the fence. At the price and for the intended purposes, there's probably no economic reason not to really like the watch (but I am interested in your thoughts). On the other hand, I thought it had the original dial and hands, and a tritium dial would have been a plus, understanding that it would have zero real world lume-ability. All thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Old 13 October 2016, 11:45 AM   #2
kromdom
"TRF" Member

If this watch sings to you and fits your budget, buy it. If not, keep looking for one that you will NOT be on the fence on for anything whatsoever.
kromdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:48 AM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

5513 Question

If you're buying it to wear it and not stash it away in a safe to try and sell it for a million dollars in 50 years then buy it! If it's luminova then all the better. It might actually glow!
Old 13 October 2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Valkyrie
"TRF" Member

In your picture, the hands and hour markers appear to be a different shade of white. If the hands are the original tritium and the hour markers luminove then that will not do you much good since you won't be able to see the hands in the dark to tell what time it is. I would certainly check to see if everything glows in the dark to your satisfaction.

The less than original condition would be a problem for me and may well limit your options if you choose to sell it in the future. On the other hand, some may find the luminova dial a plus - if it has luminove hands as well.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 03:20 PM   #5
omitohud
"TRF" Member

There r better examples out there for better price.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:48 PM   #6
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

at that price point vs roughly double that for a perfect one, it's a great watch if you want a more functional 5513 to have fun with and not get beat up on the price. My friend is selling a similar one in the same fashion as well. Get one and enjoy the heck out of it while you search for the perfect one!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I also have an L-serial 5513 that was overhauled by Rolex with a new dial and hands. It's a great mix of vintage and new, and great for daily wear. Loads of character and good for decades to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (168.6 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1561.jpg (88.7 KB, 404 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:25 AM   #8
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies! I am wearing it today and it's just great to be wearing a watch with a REALLY SIMPLE dial...no complications, no sapphire glare, no cyclops. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it does sing to me, even with the service parts. The goal here is, well, a service watch. A couple of poor pix from this morning before I headed to the train:

Old 14 October 2016, 05:14 AM   #9
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
"Well I think it looks great", he says, wearing his 2396xxx with a service dial, hands, and bezel...not every vintage watch has to be all-original-everything to have value. I enjoy wearing my watches, I might not be as easy wearing them if they were all priceless antiques.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 06:21 AM   #10
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with Pete completely, it's a terrific watch and it sounds like you are enjoying it, which is the point, after all.
Old 14 October 2016, 07:53 AM   #11
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
"Well I think it looks great", he says, wearing his 2396xxx with a service dial, hands, and bezel...not every vintage watch has to be all-original-everything to have value. I enjoy wearing my watches, I might not be as easy wearing them if they were all priceless antiques.
Must agree -,the strive for absolute vintage perfection can negate the enjoyment of actually wearing them to the degree that there is over concern.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:12 AM   #12
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Looks great, and I like your thinking. Excellent choice for daily wear.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:13 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am wearing it today and it's just great to be wearing a watch with a REALLY SIMPLE dial...no complications, no sapphire glare, no cyclops. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it does sing to me, even with the service parts. The goal here is, well, a service watch. A couple of poor pix from this morning before I headed to the train:

great photos
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:51 AM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great pics!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 11:24 AM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Good choice, the watch looks awesome. A nice touch of vintage and modern all in one. If it were mine it'd be my daily no question.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 07:12 AM   #16
rq3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

She's a beauty! Enjoy!

PS: Your crown is unscrewed (I hope just to stop the second hand for the shot). Just thought I'd be a busy body and mention it.
rq3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 09:04 AM   #17
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! On the crown, yeah, very embarrassing - I had been setting it and forgot to screw it back down before snapping the pix and heading for the train. I realized that while on the way to work and squared it away.

I'm really enjoying this watch. I think I'm still in the dealer's return window, but I am going to very happily keep it. I suspect that the bezel is a service replacement in addition to the hands and dial, but I realized that this one is really a watch to wear and I feel totally free from the "investment" or "collection" undertones that sometimes go with the watches we buy. It's just a pleasure to wear and use. A big for this one.
Old 17 October 2016, 05:14 PM   #18
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The colours match perfectly from the markers and hands.

Great looking watch and congrats OP!
16610v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 09:25 AM   #19
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Still loving this 5513. I'm still learning how to manage this watch but I think I've got it figured out to run at +1.5-2 seconds/day now, which is fabulous. Swapped the bracelet for a Maratac Zulu strap today. I have small wrists and it makes the case feel a little bigger, but I like how it wears. Variety is good!

Old 30 October 2016, 09:31 AM   #20
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Still loving this 5513. I'm still learning how to manage this watch but I think I've got it figured out to run at +1.5-2 seconds/day now, which is fabulous. Swapped the bracelet for a Maratac Zulu strap today. I have small wrists and it makes the case feel a little bigger, but I like how it wears. Variety is good!

Looking good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.0 KB, 113 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 11:49 AM   #21
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I want one.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote