The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2006, 03:25 AM   #1
----

The Tourbillon

We have touched on this subject before, and I think the general opinion of the forum has been that this particular device is quite useless and impractical in a wrist watch.

I have probably held that opinion to a degree myself, and I have certainly not jumped on the "complication de jour" bandwagon that the tourbillon seems to currently embody. However, I was lucky enough to study a Blancpain tourbillon last summer, and I have to say that despite the device lacking any apparent practical use, it was quite mesmerizing just the same.

Although this is not my picture, and not the same watch I handled, this is what that tourbillon looked like:

Actually the watch I handled was a perpetual calendar/chronograph/tourbillon, and it was quite stunning (but I didn't take pictures). There was something about watching the cage rotate once a minute that added something to the watch, which normally would not have received a second glance from me. Of course at a list of $132,000 Canadian, it is not really "on my list" in any way......

So in thinking about what is and isn't practical, depending on your perspective, almost anything about a mechanical watch could be deemed "impractical." So, for the same reasons I appreciate mechanical watches in the first place, I have come to appreciate the tourbillon as an extension of the same basic principles. It is based in some tradition, and is most certainly an expression of the high art of watchmaking. Certainly you could say "why bother" and it's "not really necessary" but then again if you apply that sort of logic to other areas of life, why would anyone buy an original work of art instead of a copy? Why have an original painting on the wall, when a poster would serve the same function?

So, with that kind of thought in mind, I wanted to share this photography of a Breguet tourbillon that is no doubt a work of art, even if it isn't very "practical."

The link will take you to a slide show, and although it moves quite slowly for my tastes, it is worth the wait to see some of the photos presented. The watch (although I am not generally a Breguet fan) is certainly something I would class as a "work of art."

Hope you enjoy it!

http://harrytan.sg/watches/BreguetTourbillon/index.htm
Old 27 March 2006, 03:44 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Stunning! Thanks, Al
Old 27 March 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Would I ever by one? No, but that is for two reasons, one that I couldn't afford it and two even if I could Andie would kill me.

That being said, I think they are a neat complication and a marvel to look at. I handeled a FP Journe Tourbillon with a "dead seconds" hand. I about drooled on the watch at how great the finish and detail was.

It was funny to see my buddy wind it up and see the second hand tick like a quartz. People are paying alot extra to have a watch that doesn't sweep. It was very cool though.

Thanks for sharing Al.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Interesting post, Al....I like the way you do a thorough and detailed review on your posts and images prior to posting!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 04:21 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Interesting post, Al....I like the way you do a thorough and detailed review on your posts and images prior to posting!
You mean instead of hastily seeing a chance and posting and reposting the same pics of the same watch over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and again?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 06:40 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent post Al and agree with you on the mechanical and how good the tourbillon looks spinning in its cage.Truly the watchmakers fine art in making such delicate contraption,but IMHO thats about it.The superiority of the tourbillon becomes evident only in
observatory controls where the pieces are tested in one position.
The tourbillon does not correct position variations; it only prevents their being detected in the usual testing conditions. But when placed on the testing machine, the tourbillon reveals its weaknesses immediately.The tourbillon is in fact an additional mechanism that consumes energy without producing anything except misinformation. It is IMO quite useless in a wrist watch mechanism. The energy it consumes is taken from the reserve destined to the regulator. As a result, the balance with less energy will have reduced advantages. All watches established to function in both manners, with or without the tourbillon, always have smaller balances of less good performance in tourbillon version.Gravity is one of the main causes of rate variations in watches. By creating the tourbillon, watchmakers thought they was eliminating its effects. It was an error on there part. They succeeded only in masking them a little. If watchmakers could find a way of eliminating the force of gravity on watches,then perhaps they would be on to a winner.I would agree watching the tourbillon spin faster in the tourbillon cage, is quite spectacular in its operation.But as they are now are no better in terms of accuracy than your Chronometer.And even if they could get rid of the force of gravity,say in a weightless atmosphere.The rate variations would be so little, perhaps a little better than your average Chronometer.IMO they are a very expensive,and not really needed in a wrist watch.And are only there well because the watchmaker can make them.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote