The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 July 2017, 02:54 AM   #1
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
5 Digit vs 6

Those members that own both 5 and 6 digit models, how often do you find yourself wearing 5 digit references nowadays?

This guy has been put away for a handful of years (wound etc. on occasion), since it wasn't getting much wrist time and I'm usually a keeper of all pieces I buy. I forgot how much I disliked the 5 digit clasps, but there is just something that seems more "fun" for lack of a better word about wearing these older pieces. While, the 6 digit certainly have a higher quality feel IMO.

Do any of your 5 digits still make it into your daily rotations?

I'm debating moving this one back into mine, but it seems my wrist may have "grown" since last I put this on. I may need to put a link in

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Explorer 2 small.jpeg (166.3 KB, 1795 views)
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:01 AM   #2
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

5 Digit vs 6

My first Rolex was the GMT C from 2010, a 6 digit Rolex. Back then, I was torn between the GMT and the Sub 5 digit with the green anniversary bezel. I chose the GMT for the all round better quality (bracelet, case...) although the Sub was my favorite model. Thankfully, this was remedied when I got my 114060 just this week
So 6 digit all the way for me; never regretted any of my decisions... all 6 digits for the 4 Rolexes I have, all future classics. Someday, we will be having the same conversation if the 6 digits are better or 7 (maybe). To each his generation, I'm the 6 digit generation so they are the ones that gets into your soul the moment you put it on at the AD. 5 digits can't do the same for me, their souls were already taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #3
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I own nothing but five digit Rolex's that get worn all the time and prefer them actually over the six digits. Whats surprising is that the WIS comment more on the five digits more than the six digits. The other day I was at an AD and the salesman actually asked if the 14060M on the wrist was for sale, or if he could get me to get rid of it for a newer six digit no date sub. The offer was politely declined. As much as the advances have been on the six digits, in my opinion the five digits have much more soul.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
For me it's a tradeoff. I agree that the bracelet is a bit cheap. But, that makes it lightweight which I prefer over the larger 6 digit references. To combat that, I have a lot of straps.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:32 AM   #5
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

I mix it up, but I wear the 5 digit more. 114060 SubC is my beater for the beach, boat, hiking, etc. 16710 GMT is my favorite watch.
RastabanStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:06 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Every other day.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:08 AM   #7
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

Going from a new dd40 to my subc feels "cheap". Going from the 6 to 5 feels like I just got robbed.

Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:26 AM   #8
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I fell in love with Rolex's toolish luxury, so I exclusively own 5 digit models (aside from my 114270)...I personally find the 6 digit references to be less toolish in appearance. I know they're just as robust and tough..so don't jump on me for my personal taste. Maybe it will change in time.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:28 AM   #9
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
I fell in love with Rolex's toolish luxury, so I exclusively own 5 digit models (aside from my 114270)...I personally find the 6 digit references to be less toolish in appearance. I know they're just as robust and tough..so don't jump on me for my personal taste. Maybe it will change in time.
The bracelets on the 6 digits are second to none..
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:30 AM   #10
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
That is definitely true. The new bracelets are so solid. I just prefer the more svelte cases of the 5 digits.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:36 AM   #11
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Got both 5&6 digits and wear them equally ,both have their own pluses & minuses . Can't beat a 5 digit GMT on a jubilee and the added bonus of insert change ability but the glide lock on the ceramic sub is just the absolute best . Personally wouldn't be without either , ever .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:42 AM   #12
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
My GMT and Submariner are both 5 digit.

Explorer is 6 digit.

5 wins out for most wear.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:53 AM   #13
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

A bracelet from some 6-digit fits the elegant 5-digits, so by going 5-digit you have more options (insert, bracelet).
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:56 AM   #14
Wools
"TRF" Member

As someone in the market for their first ever Rolex, I'm of the opinion that although some of the older watches are nice, I love modern technology wrapped up in classic design.

Classic looks, up to date materials, new advances like ceramic bezels, I just prefer the look and feel of the 6 digit Rolex's. And because I'm in my early 30's and never owned a Rolex before, I have very few personal ties to the older watches, just to the look and its history.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:10 AM   #15
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
I love 5 digit references
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #16
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Despite loving it, thinking about selling my Hulk because I never wear it over my fiver.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:20 AM   #17
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Those members that own both 5 and 6 digit models, how often do you find yourself wearing 5 digit references nowadays?

This guy has been put away for a handful of years (wound etc. on occasion), since it wasn't getting much wrist time and I'm usually a keeper of all pieces I buy. I forgot how much I disliked the 5 digit clasps, but there is just something that seems more "fun" for lack of a better word about wearing these older pieces. While, the 6 digit certainly have a higher quality feel IMO.

Do any of your 5 digits still make it into your daily rotations?

I'm debating moving this one back into mine, but it seems my wrist may have "grown" since last I put this on. I may need to put a link in

I wear my 16520 weekly. It was my most heavily worn watch until I recently got the SD4000. I greatly prefer the tapered lugs and sportier look of 5 digit Rolex. These are all destined to be future classics. And to those who hate on the clasp, yes it's inferior to the 6 digit clasps, but it adds character to the watches.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:25 AM   #18
The Libertine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschneid View Post
I greatly prefer the tapered lugs and sportier look of 5 digit Rolex. And to those who hate on the clasp, yes it's inferior to the 6 digit clasps, but it adds character to the watches.
Could not agree more. Call me crazy, but I love the look of the Rolex name stamped into the steel bracelet. Like you said = Character.
Old 17 July 2017, 05:27 AM   #19
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
They are at least third, behind AP, Patek, and doubtless others.

To the OP: I have a 16610, 1680 & 5513. Of these the 5513 is probably my favourite. Bracelets are adequate on all of them.

The only 6-series I like is the OP 39. The rest look bloated and ostentatious.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:52 AM   #20
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I think just about the only thing I like better on the 5 digit Sub was Rolex being stamped into the bracelet...that looked incredible. Other than that, I much prefer the beefier look of the case and I love love love the bracelet on the SubC, to include the clasp. This is about as perfect a watch can get in my opinion, Rolex nailed it. Bonus, I really like the ChromaLight (blue) vs the older luminova/superluminova!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:03 AM   #21
withthesword
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
having owned both 5 and 6 digit references, i can say beyond a doubt that while the 6 digits certainly have an advantage in upgraded features and calibers, they are missing something when compared to 5 digit models.

i suppose the same could be said by folks who wear and collect 4 digit models. the difference being the changes from 4 to 5 digit weren't as striking. gloss instead of matte, white gold surrounds instead of painted plots, sapphire instead of plexi. but they never deviated much from the originals.

i feel like the 6 digit models deviate too far from the classic proportions of the 4 and 5 digit models.

My Flickr Photostream

Wishlist: 1984 gmt
withthesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Brizzybrad
"TRF" Member

Watch: ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by withthesword View Post
having owned both 5 and 6 digit references, i can say beyond a doubt that while the 6 digits certainly have an advantage in upgraded features and calibers, they are missing something when compared to 5 digit models.

i suppose the same could be said by folks who wear and collect 4 digit models. the difference being the changes from 4 to 5 digit weren't as striking. gloss instead of matte, white gold surrounds instead of painted plots, sapphire instead of plexi. but they never deviated much from the originals.

i feel like the 6 digit models deviate too far from the classic proportions of the 4 and 5 digit models.
Well said...

I also find the 6 digit bracelet heavy and in need of constant adjustment. I never have that problem with a 4 or 5.
Brizzybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:25 AM   #23
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

Agreed
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:42 AM   #24
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I have a 16610 and an SD4K, I put the 16610 away when I got the SD4K a year or two ago.

I got the 16610 out with the full intention of selling it but I put it back on and it felt 'right', no way I would sell it now.

The 5 digits are very comfortable, almost like you are not wearing a watch.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:53 AM   #25
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:10 AM   #26
The Libertine
Banned

Quote:

Amen, brother. The measurements speak for themselves.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:29 AM   #27
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Other than DDs, all 6 digit have been sold and replaced with 5 digit equivalent. I don't like the super case.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:28 AM   #28
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I have a 16610 and an SD4K, I put the 16610 away when I got the SD4K a year or two ago.

I got the 16610 out with the full intention of selling it but I put it back on and it felt 'right', no way I would sell it now.

The 5 digits are very comfortable, almost like you are not wearing a watch.

I did the exact same thing. Put my 14060 away for about six months when I got my 116600. I even took pictures to post it in the For Sale section. But when I took it out to wind it one day I ended up putting it back on my wrist. Glad I never sold it, it's in regular rotation again now and I don't wear the 116600 as often.

I see the 5 digits and 6 digits as different watches. Own whichever you prefer, or better yet - own both.

Old and new happily coexisting in my little Rolex family:
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:29 AM   #29
stillsane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680, 214270, BLNR
Right now I only own 2(1680 and 214270) I love them both. My 1680 is on a 9135 folded link bracelet so they wear very different but both do just fine.
stillsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:58 PM   #30
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

In terms of comfort and proportions, I think the 5 digit in general has the 6 digit beat....especially the maxi case stuff on the six digits.....but there's no denying the advances Rolex has made on the finish/fit on the newer six digit pieces as well. I own far more 5 digit and 4 digit Rolex because they interest me more than the current references but I don't discriminate on a good rotation.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote