The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Socrates
"TRF" Member

Opinions on a 1675

Hello, I would very much appreciate opinions from seasoned vintage Rolex buyers on this watch:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ster-1675-9187

I have previously expressed my opinion here and elsewhere that the vintage market is a little frothy, and that Paul Newman Daytona prices are stratospheric. But I would not be buying this as an investment. Pepsi GMTs are my favorite watches. I just want your opinions on whether or not this is a good example.... By the way, I have bought from HQ Milton many times, and have always been very satisfied.

Thanks to all who reply!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:45 PM   #2
PVR
"TRF" Member

That might be one of the worst examples you can find. I am also not a fan of HQ Milton's watches. I find them all to be similar in quality to the one you linked. No flames please, just my opinion..

Dial is shot, and has mildew stains and lume damage
Hands are also cracking and molded
Case is refinished and way overpolished. One crown guard is almost gone.
Jubilee is shot
Insert is garbage scratched and ugly in my opinion
Midcase has dents and damage near gasket ring
Caseback has porosity/corrosion and dented.
Crystal is chipped and cracked
Datewheel is service white..

How much worse can it get?

But it is original :)
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 11:56 PM   #3
Socrates
"TRF" Member

Hmmm... Thanks for your opinion PVR. I have never purchased a watch older than the 1980'a. I'm pretty happy withhh all of the watches I have. I'm wary of the vintage market, though. I don't understand the prices and do not have the expertise to play.... Still, as far as I know, HQ Milton has a great reputation, and the pieces I have bought from them have always been as described (or better).
Old 20 August 2017, 12:42 AM   #4
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Looks like a very presentable example to me... are PRV and I looking at the same watch?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

The polish on this one is enough for me to pass. Many of the accurate observances by PVC are good points but some are a part of buying vintage and if this was something you are considering, I am guessing you like a more "lived in" look over NOS.

I dont have any experience with the seller but there is a lot more good feedback than bad with them.

If you are in the mkt for a nice 1675 search the sales forum here, you will also get some PMs soon I assume. You're doing the right thing... vet all candidates here and be patient! Enjoy the hunt!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:57 AM   #6
Socrates
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tom, I think I'll stick with more modern watches. As I said, the prices don't make sense to me and its clear to me I'm not competent to make judgments in this area, even though I love Rolex GMTs--in all varieties.

I would caution posters (not Tom) about taking shots at reputable dealers. Make sure you are right, and that you are looking at both the quality of the piece and the price.
Old 20 August 2017, 02:51 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
That might be one of the worst examples you can find. I am also not a fan of HQ Milton's watches. I find them all to be similar in quality to the one you linked. No flames please, just my opinion..

Dial is shot, and has mildew stains and lume damage
Hands are also cracking and molded
Case is refinished and way overpolished. One crown guard is almost gone.
Jubilee is shot
Insert is garbage scratched and ugly in my opinion
Midcase has dents and damage near gasket ring
Caseback has porosity/corrosion and dented.
Crystal is chipped and cracked
Datewheel is service white..

How much worse can it get?

But it is original :)
How much worse can it get? A lot worse. I'm not saying that's the best example on the market, but not sure I agree with everything here. (Also, "garbage" is probably not the most polite word to use in a description of any part of someone's watch that is for sale.)

As mentioned above, the polish on the case would be my biggest issue here. I actually like the dial/hands patina, and the insert has a cool look to it, although well worn. The date wheel is not necessarily a service part. I believe Rolex used white/cream date wheels on 1675s before switching to the brushed metal date wheels at some point in the '70s. This date wheel could be original.

Overall Jacek is one of the best dealers out there. That's doesn't mean every one of his watches is a gem, but he's great to deal with and a very stand-up guy if you ever have any issues.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 03:18 AM   #8
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Ouch!! Just checked out the link in more detail and saw the case, which is over-polished, and thus would incline me to step firmly away from the "buy" button... having said that it's not the train wreck that was described earlier in this thread and still has a lot appeal.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 04:08 AM   #9
Socrates
"TRF" Member

Hello Aaron, I agree with you that Jacek and HQ Milton are honest and highly competent. My sense is that this is a decent or pretty good 1675 and priced accordingly, given current market conditions. It's just that vintage prices generally have gone crazy in recent years (which is not to say I know whether they will rise or fall in future)...
Old 20 August 2017, 05:14 AM   #10
BristolCavendish
Banned

Fourtanes/Carmel, CA for pristine vintage.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=555000
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:26 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
A correct, nice, GMT 1675 is substantially higher than the price of this GMT.

By correct and nice, I mean a proper dial without missing lume, scratches or corrosion and other issues, correct hands without issues, a nice, correct bezel insert, correct date wheel and correct bracelet. The case has to be nice, whether polished or not as well as fairly symmetrical and not over-polished or refinished to hide poor refinishing from past polishing. Of course the crown guards should be symmetrical also.

If this watch isn't for you, move on as there are others for sale elsewhere. If you like it, then by all means, drop the hammer and don't look back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170621_155929.sm.jpg (78.7 KB, 253 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:51 AM   #12
Socrates
"TRF" Member

Thanks Springer. Seems like good advice. And BristolCavendish, I've been to Fourtane in Carmel. Great people and beautiful vintage watches.
Old 20 August 2017, 05:49 PM   #13
chows99
"TRF" Member

If you are looking for a 1675, there will be better examples out there especially in this forum. Price will be higher but more worthwhile than this example. The left side lug is pencil thin due to overpolish
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:35 PM   #14
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

This is what a pristine one should look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5041.jpg (141.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_131.jpg (159.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4057.jpg (237.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 21 August 2017, 12:47 AM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
HQ is an exceptional dealer. Not every piece he sells is museum quality (thank god for me, or I'd be out of the mkt). This is a wonderful 1675, which has some issues and there is priced right. If you don't like it; don't buy it. But why bash one of the all-time great, indisputably honest dealers in our "sport" like HQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 01:51 AM   #16
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

What Springer said.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 05:15 AM   #17
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
HQ is an exceptional dealer. Not every piece he sells is museum quality (thank god for me, or I'd be out of the mkt). This is a wonderful 1675, which has some issues and there is priced right. If you don't like it; don't buy it. But why bash one of the all-time great, indisputably honest dealers in our "sport" like HQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote