The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2017, 12:32 PM   #1
RinkyWinkleton
"TRF" Member

GMT misaligned hour hand.

Hey folks,

Bought a used 116710LN a few months back in early August. Hasn't left my wrist since. It's my first Rolex and I absolutely love the damn thing. Unfortunately a little while ago I noticed that the hour hand drags behind by about 20mins. That is to say, the hour hand won't be pointing directly at the hour marker until the minute hand reaches the 4 o'clock position (ie 20min past the hour).

I thought I could live with it for a while but with such a substantial misalignment it makes it difficult to accurately read the time at a glance. I emailed the dealer with no response and will probably head in later today to speak with him. My question is has anyone eelse experiences this before, what may cause this and whether you think it's the dealer's or my responsibility to fix?
Thanks everyone. You're all legends.
R.
RinkyWinkleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 12:55 PM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

the hands just need resetting
Old 26 October 2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Turn the hands to 2400 hrs. All hands should be pointing at the 12, if not they need to be taken off and repositioned.
Old 26 October 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
RinkyWinkleton
"TRF" Member

Yes that is what I thought too. It did notice when I set the time that there is a fair amount of play in the hour hand and I can try to line the hour hand up correctly. Trouble is, it'll remain in hat position for that 20min period and then finally drag along behind. I don't know if this suggests any wear in the movement? It's a 2011 model watch and I don't think it has ever had a service.
Cheers.
Old 26 October 2017, 01:36 PM   #5
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Who's the dealer?

If you'd taken it back next day then yeah seller might oblige but you've waited so many weeks/months IMHO it's now your issue more than theirs... but hey, one could get lucky if you bought the right seller.

Afaik hands are friction fit on stems, no key to prevent wrong placement but there's no way movement wear can look like that without jamming up the works. More possibly hands have been R&R'd since leaving the factory.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:28 PM   #6
RinkyWinkleton
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure whether it is appropriate or not to name the dealer but I believe that they are quite reputable. They have have had their small store in the city for many years and were quite pleasant to deal with when I made the purchase. At the time he did tell me that they provide a 12month warranty on the watches that they sell. So I've got my fingers crossed we'll be able to work it out.
Old 26 October 2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyWinkleton View Post
Yes that is what I thought too. It did notice when I set the time that there is a fair amount of play in the hour hand and I can try to line the hour hand up correctly. Trouble is, it'll remain in hat position for that 20min period and then finally drag along behind. I don't know if this suggests any wear in the movement? It's a 2011 model watch and I don't think it has ever had a service.
Cheers.
That sounds odd. There is not a hint of play in mine. Sounds like it needs a service.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:25 PM   #8
RinkyWinkleton
"TRF" Member

Update: Just saw the dealer and they are getting their service provider to look into it for me. No questions asked. They were rather apologetic about the whole thing and seem very keen to set it right. I don't think Ive ever had a store experience as quick or straight forward. Very impressed.

I'll keep you updated in a few days which is when they've estimated my watch should return. Thanks all.
Old 26 October 2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update: Just saw the dealer and they are getting their service provider to look into it for me. No questions asked. They were rather apologetic about the whole thing and seem very keen to set it right. I don't think Ive ever had a store experience as quick or straight forward. Very impressed.

I'll keep you updated in a few days which is when they've estimated my watch should return. Thanks all.
I hope you get it fixed.....id only be happy if rolex were to open it up and make the adjustments
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 05:33 PM   #10
peterpl
Banned

who was the dealer in Sydney? JF, Hour Glass, Rolex Boutique or Swiss Concept?
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 10:46 AM   #11
RinkyWinkleton
"TRF" Member

Sorry, a little bit late here but thought you might be curious to see how it all wrapped up. Got the watch back a few weeks after i sent it away and it now aligns perfectly. I don't exactly know what they did behind the scenes to fix the problem but im super happy with the result. Before when i set the hour hand there was a lot of slop/play. Now it feels far snappier and direct. Im very impressed and have definitely enjoyed have the watch back on my wrist the past few weeks.
thanks all, hope you all had a wonderful christmas.
cheers,
R
Old 27 December 2017, 12:51 PM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
I'm not sure whether it is appropriate or not to name the dealer but I believe that they are quite reputable. They have have had their small store in the city for many years and were quite pleasant to deal with when I made the purchase. At the time he did tell me that they provide a 12month warranty on the watches that they sell. So I've got my fingers crossed we'll be able to work it out.
For the last year, I've been dealing with a local merchant who deals in all kinds of jewelry and used watches.

He has really stepped to the plate to address all issues that I've had with my four purchases over the last six months or so.

I hope things work out as well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
I hope you get it fixed.....id only be happy if rolex were to open it up and make the adjustments
My last purchase was a Rolex and I feel that way, too. My dealer has a Rolex-certified watchmaker who looks after his Rolex watches, so I'm good with that. So far, no problems.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:58 PM   #13
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I hope things work out as well for you.
Do you know why this thread is active again, after being dormant for a couple months?
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:02 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Do you know why this thread is active again, after being dormant for a couple months?
I have no idea.

When it comes to replying to threads, I'm as reflexive as Pavlov's dog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Update--

Actually, it would be because of this post, which I did not notice.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=11

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:09 PM   #15
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I have no idea.

When it comes to replying to threads, I'm as reflexive as Pavlov's dog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Update--

Actually, it would be because of this post, which I did not notice.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=11
Clearly.
Old 27 December 2017, 03:13 PM   #16
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Read the post from the OP earlier today where he updated regarding the fix he received. :)

Tim
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Clearly.
Don’t think you noticed either Mike

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, a little bit late here but thought you might be curious to see how it all wrapped up. Got the watch back a few weeks after i sent it away and it now aligns perfectly. I don't exactly know what they did behind the scenes to fix the problem but im super happy with the result. Before when i set the hour hand there was a lot of slop/play. Now it feels far snappier and direct. Im very impressed and have definitely enjoyed have the watch back on my wrist the past few weeks.
cheers,
R
Great news

Old 27 December 2017, 10:32 PM   #19
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
cheers,
R
Thank you for the update. It is always helpful to know how these situations end up, especially for those of us considering similar purchases. I'm glad it worked out well.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:15 PM   #20
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:

I'm glad that your problem was resolved.
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:20 PM   #21
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
The dealer did the right thing. Siht happens even to a Rolex. Sounds like they just took the hand off and repositioned it.
Old 28 December 2017, 12:11 AM   #22
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
Read the post from the OP earlier today where he updated regarding the fix he received. :)

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Don’t think you noticed either Mike
It seems my post went over your heads, guys. Did you see the part of Grady's post that I quoted? He posted that he hopes everything works out for the OP, while the OP had just resurrected the two-month old thread specifically to let us know that everything worked out great.....and that was immediately before Grady's post. Never mind....
Old 28 December 2017, 12:17 AM   #23
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
It seems my post went over your heads, guys. Did you see the part of Grady's post that I quoted? He posted that he hopes everything works out for the OP, while the OP had just resurrected the two-month old thread specifically to let us know that everything worked out great.....and that was immediately before Grady's post. Never mind....
I don't think this is at all what occurred...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 02:05 AM   #24
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
I don't think this is at all what occurred...

Irony....it's something that is easily lost on some people. I think I found some of those people. I was trying to highlight some irony with the question I posed to Grady. And lost it was. Oh well, carry on.......
Old 28 December 2017, 02:18 AM   #25
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Irony....it's something that is easily lost on some people. I think I found some of those people. I was trying to highlight some irony with the question I posed to Grady. And lost it was. Oh well, carry on.......
Nah. I get you. I’d misread your first post

Old 28 December 2017, 02:38 AM   #26
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Nah. I get you. I’d misread your first post
Right on.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:43 AM   #27
mbalmz

I had the same problem with a Grand Seiko I bought (only about a 10 minute lag but same idea)--not sure what the problem was as I brought it back to the boutique and they gave me a new watch.
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 03:17 AM   #28
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Quote:
cheers,
R
Congrats on getting it resolved! I was going to say (until I saw it had been resolved) that when I'm setting the time, I move the minute hand about 15-20 minutes past the actual time and then dial it back. This seems to take out any extra "slack." I also try to do it when it's not an x0 or x5 minute. I read about this technique somewhere on this forum a few months ago.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote