The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 April 2018, 04:53 AM   #31
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
So Rik got the watch apart for an estimate. It’s a serial # 1,4xx,xxx, which I believe he said was produced 3rd quarter of 1960. I asked if he thought it was new old stock because my father recalled buying it new in Vietnam around ‘66 and he said that’s very possible. I also mentioned dad’s recollection about the water damage later on and subsequent repairs. Rik was unfortunately unable to pin down an exact year for the dial replacement but verified it was in fact replaced, in addition to the internal movement being changed to 1520. Anyhow, interesting to know the case was even older than anticipated, in addition to hearing Rik point out a few other parts that were swapped out along the way like one of the hands. He really knows his stuff and took quite a bit of time over the phone which I greatly appreciated! Only let down was the original oyster bracelet was too stretched for him to repair for comfortable daily use, so I’m just going to stick with the aftermarket bracelet (sacrilege to the purists, I know) and perhaps even dabble in distressed leather bands. Very glad Rik is putting this back together for our family and will post after pics in about a month or so. Thanks again to those who got me in touch with him and take care.

p.s. - Sincerely appreciate the kindness and follow-up. Sorry if I came across as a little brash myself in any way or fashion, that's not me. Those of us on TRF for the long haul all here to learn and share. Tks. :)
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 05:58 AM   #32
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Very possibly sat in military stores for years before getting the call to a BX for sale. Some Rolex sat around for years without being sold. Daytona were terrible sellers, non-waterproof and non-automatic were exactly what the average Rolex buyers were trying to get away from back in the tool days. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #33
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Cool watch and cool story; great to hear you have an awesome momento from your dad.

You can have the original bracelet repaired by Michael Young in Hong Kong. Not expensive and absolutely worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 02:02 PM   #34
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Good work! And yeah, Rik is the man.
One thing on the serial number, 1.4mil is around 1967. There are some bad, way-off serial number charts out there. This is one of the most accurate there is... compliments of this forum.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54362

And 1967 would jive with a matte dial, as well.

Cheers!
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 04:59 PM   #35
chows99
"TRF" Member

No matter the history, the watch is a valuable witness to your dear Father's life journey. Hope you will share the photos with us once it's back!
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 12:57 AM   #36
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Well it took some time and patience (on my part) but I did receive the watch back from Rik yesterday afternoon. I'm very happy with the results, looks much better than I ever recall it looking. Here are a couple pics. I also found out a few more historical details from Rik. The band is obviously replaced, but the clasp and case are original still to the 1960's. The dial was also replaced (obviously) and the internal movement was opted out for a 1520 when the original internals experienced water damage many decades ago. Original band is still in my possession, but its too stretched to wear for a daily, but maybe I'll seek getting it fixed down the road. Was also neat to know the clasp was original and rare according to Rik. Anyway, interesting and glad to know a bit more on it and happy to share with others. Take care to all and feel free to use my reference for Rik as well if you own a vintage piece and are interested in getting it refurbished, he knows his stuff and is trustworthy. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180612_104829-600x1067.jpg (103.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20180612_104425.jpg (286.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 15 June 2018, 12:19 AM   #37
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Wow, that looks phenomenal I hope you enjoy it for years to come. I wish I had something from my father like that, so consider yourself a lucky man!

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 03:09 AM   #38
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

damn, looks brand new
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 03:18 AM   #39
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

Purists are likely gagging, lol, but Rik and I share the same sentiment, why let it continue to deteriorate if I'm never selling it anyway and it's only for me...or my son to enjoy downstream when I'm gone.