The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 June 2018, 08:19 PM   #1
jakedavies8
"TRF" Member

First vintage watch advice, Tudor 79090?

All,

I am looking at purchasing my first 'vintage' watch, in truth, it's a 1990 Tudor Sub, so i'll let you decide the extent to which it can be considered truly vintage

Anyway, it is a 79090 in Blue with a beautiful ghost patina bezel and is priced at around £4,450 GBP (approx $5,891 USD) and is located in Europe. I have spoken to the dealer with regards to its history and have been informed that there is nothing to suggest that the dial and handset are original and the case has been serviced and polished.

Should these be immediate turn-offs? I understand originality is king in the vintage watch game, however, what are the likely implications of replaced parts on the value of the watch? I expect it may impact its appreciation but I would hope it would still be able to maintain its value? I am not really buying the piece as an investment.

I would also appreciate any guidance on what to look for and any price guides for this model, I understand that the blue version commands a notable premium over the black which I am willing to pay on account of the beautiful bezel insert alone!

Thanks in advance,
Jake
jakedavies8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Jake, many experts on these 79090, but everybody will be asking for pics first! :-)

There are (that I know of) 3 types of dials for this ref. if this one is 1990, "T-SWISS-T" should be under the 6 hour mark triangle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orig 79090 7.jpg (106.2 KB, 160 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 10:43 PM   #3
jakedavies8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
Jake, many experts on these 79090, but everybody will be asking for pics first! :-)

There are (that I know of) 3 types of dials for this ref. if this one is 1990, "T-SWISS-T" should be under the 6 hour mark triangle.
Thanks for your reply, I have attached a pic of the dial, it does appear to be a t Swiss t dial but I am still unclear as to whether it is a service dial or not? Or whether that should be a concern?

Best
Jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor-Submariner-ref.-79090-sku-2090.jpg (215.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 26 June 2018, 11:01 PM   #4
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Good looking piece and very fine example for what it is - a Blue 79090

You are not far in price (20-30%) from the more iconic Blue Snowflake

Very easy to fall down the rabbit hole as the 79090 is one of the gateway drugs to a Flake

Old 27 June 2018, 12:18 AM   #5
jakedavies8
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful snowflake, definitely worth considering as those hands are iconic and separate it from the typical Rolex design a bit more!