The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Dreadnaught
"TRF" Member

Newbie to this forum...

Hi there, I am new here and have a question to all the regulars here.

"Has the design change over years for the Sub and SD?"

I don't own one yet, but would be keen to buy either one of them.
Dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 07:23 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnaught

Welcome to TRF Dreadnaught,well to your question well basically the Sub has not changed much in the 50 odd years.Sure there has been a few cosmetic changes to the case,like the introduction of the crown guards.And a few movements improvements and add the date function.But over the years,I suppose the biggest change was to change from acrylic crystal to sapphire crystal.Now some of the older watches like the 5513 are selling for very high prices 40 plus years old and still beating strong.The Sub was a good design from its introduction,and theres a story if its not broke don't fix it.And its the same for nearly all the Rolex models, in reality they have changed very little since the fifties.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 10:17 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hey Dreadnaught. Welcome to TRF. Stick around and post often
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hell dreadnought and welcome to TRF.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Welcome to TRF, Dreadnaught.

Actually, NO Rolex has changed very much over the years. That is one of the hallmarks of Rolex - no change for change's sake. This is why you can place an early '50's-vintage Datejust next to a new one, and there will be very little difference between the two.
Old 4 June 2006, 11:14 PM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF, Dreadnaught Glad you stopped in Stay awhile and enjoy
Old 5 June 2006, 12:01 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnaught

Hi Dreadnaught,

I think padi summed it up best,there have been a few changes to the the Sub over the years, but Rolex is not known for change for change sake.
The basic design remains the same. The acryllic crystal has given way to one of sapphire (a much stronger and scratch resistant material) and Rolex,as has others because of legal restrictions, moved from tritium markers to luminova.
Markers are now of the WG surround variety. The biggest changes I think are under the hood as Rolex moved from the 15xx series movements to the faster beat 30xx movements. ( whether this was an improvement or not could start it's own debate! LOL!)
The bezel is unidirectional as opposed to bidirectional,but these are viewed as improvements as opposed to changes.
If you were to put a vintage Sub next to a modern you could certain see the differences, but the heritage would shine through.

Modern sub and a circa 1978 5513,

Here's a 1680 circa 1979,

and the modern verison
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hmm - just trying to think of the changes over the years:

6202 - depth rating went from 100 to 200 metres, changed from pencil to Mercedes hands

5513 - crown guards added, bezel became unidirectional(?), Fliplock clasp introduced (?)

1680 - date added

Comex 5513/1665 - helium valve added, depth rating changed to 500m, later 600m, Sea Dweller name introduced

16660 - sapphire crystal added, new helium valve installed, depth rating increased to 1220m

That's what I can recall off the top of my head, and I haven't covered the bracelet changes. I'm going to have to go home this evening to check the details.
Old 5 June 2006, 07:37 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF. Looks like your questions have been answered...in more ways than one!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2006, 12:53 AM   #10
Dreadnaught
"TRF" Member

Thank you, everyone!

I just came back from Beijing and was shock to see Rolex fakes all around. I was comparing the pics (from Mike) and the ones that are sold there. I can't see any difference!

Even the hands are moving as smoothly as the original Rolex. I have also noticed that on the crystal of the fakes (near 6 o'clock) it has a etching of the Rolex logo. So tempting to get one. But decided not to...

I am thinking of getting a used Sub. What are the thing's that I should look out for to avoid scam?

Appreciate any advice...
Old 10 June 2006, 01:05 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post

I am thinking of getting a used Sub. What are the thing's that I should look out for to avoid scam?

Appreciate any advice...
More than buying the watch... buy the seller. Some ADs have previously enjoyed watches to select from, and some estate jewellry stores have good selections of used watches.

If buying online, buy from known sellers who have references. Check the buy-sell section here, I think there's at least one 16610 for sale here. Also check timezone and watchuseek.com.

Or you could just wait until JJ (aka bald kiwi loon or BKL) decides it's time to flip his and you'll get a pristine example as JJ hermetically seals his watches while on his wrist and while in storage.

Welcome and stick around. BTW, if you want a really cool dive watch that you won't see on every second person's hand, look at Panerai.
Old 10 June 2006, 02:43 AM   #12
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Dreadnaught. Glad you found your way to our merry madhouse. It looks like all your questions have been answered, so let me just say, stick around and post often and enjoy the fun here.

Oh, and John (Atomic) is correct. If you are going to step into the pre-owned market, buy the seller. Make sure the seller has good references (and plenty of them)as a seller. Don't let multiple references as a buyer fool you. You want someone who has sold many high end products and has good feeback on all of them.

Don't expect to get real bargains, but from reputable sellers you can get good deals.

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2006, 03:28 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I just came back from Beijing and was shock to see Rolex fakes all around. I was comparing the pics (from Mike) and the ones that are sold there. I can't see any difference!

Even the hands are moving as smoothly as the original Rolex. I have also noticed that on the crystal of the fakes (near 6 o'clock) it has a etching of the Rolex logo. So tempting to get one. But decided not to...

Appreciate any advice...
Be very careful out there, my friend. Rolex is one of the most replicated objects on earth!! As the other members advise...buy the seller and then the watch.

Some ADs do deal in used watches. At least I know that my AD does. He gives out a fresh one year warranty on any used Rolex from the date of purchase. Try out a good AD near you....you never know....you could get lucky!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 10 June 2006, 12:46 PM   #14
mailman

Quote:

Appreciate any advice...
If you can see the crown etching with the naked eye, it's definetly a fake.
Old 10 June 2006, 12:49 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
If you can see the crown etching with the naked eye, it's definetly a fake.
Agreed! It's extremely difficult to see the etching with the naked eye - IMPOSSIBLE!! You need a 10x loupe and a table lamp light to see it.

JJ

Old 11 June 2006, 12:21 AM   #16
Dreadnaught
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone!
Old 12 June 2006, 02:03 AM   #17
Dreadnaught
"TRF" Member

Someone has suggested me to get a Seiko MasterMarine SBDX001 or a Marcello C Tridente, instead of a Rolex Sub.

Obviously, I would save a lot of $$$, if I go for either/both of the alternatives, but I am aware that we are comparing "VW and Benz".

But besides the presitge of wearing a Rolex, what else is Rolex better when we compare with the others?

I was told that the movement of the Seiko MM is equally good or if not better than Rolex. For the Tridente, It is a larger and more solid diver than Rolex with similar movements.

I am stuck. What should I do?
Old 12 June 2006, 02:22 AM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Someone has suggested me to get a Seiko MasterMarine SBDX001 or a Marcello C Tridente, instead of a Rolex Sub.

Obviously, I would save a lot of $$$, if I go for either/both of the alternatives, but I am aware that we are comparing "VW and Benz".

But besides the presitge of wearing a Rolex, what else is Rolex better when we compare with the others?

I was told that the movement of the Seiko MM is equally good or if not better than Rolex. For the Tridente, It is a larger and more solid diver than Rolex with similar movements.

I am stuck. What should I do?
You've answered your own question there, DN. The prestige factor is probably the biggest one. That's not to say Rolex isn't good. It is one of the best, but would never be considered THE BEST (whatever that means - and it means different things to different people).

Seikos are very good and well made. And they're a lot less $$ than Rolex. But, like Porsche, "There is no substitute."

You gotta go with what will make you happiest in the long run.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2006, 04:50 AM   #19
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
You've answered your own question there, DN. The prestige factor is probably the biggest one. That's not to say Rolex isn't good. It is one of the best, but would never be considered THE BEST (whatever that means - and it means different things to different people).

Seikos are very good and well made. And they're a lot less $$ than Rolex. But, like Porsche, "There is no substitute."

You gotta go with what will make you happiest in the long run.
Ed is right on here. I have a Sub and a Seiko Black Monster and love them both. We have a few mwmbers here that have both brands and and enjoy them to the fullest.
Old 12 June 2006, 03:25 PM   #20
John05
"TRF" Member

I have a fossil watch, a tag heuer, and a rolex. All of them are running smoothly and tells me the exact time. But whatever the reason is, rolex makes me when I'm wearing it.

Whatever makes you is the best decision.
John05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2006, 07:01 PM   #21
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Well, just read my signature.