The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Langley

Arrrrrrrgh ...

Arrrrrgh .... I've only had my new Explorer I for less than two weeks and I already have some fine scratches on the clasp. I imagine they can be polished out fairly easily, but will my AD do it, or will he think I'm nuts ?
Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 01:53 AM   #2
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley View Post
Arrrrrgh .... I've only had my new Explorer I for less than two weeks and I already have some fine scratches on the clasp. I imagine they can be polished out fairly easily, but will my AD do it, or will he think I'm nuts ?
Leave them.. otherwise you'll be polishing the clasp ever other week for the rest of your life. Besides, they give the watch charactor.
Old 15 June 2006, 02:01 AM   #3
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Leave them. I was like that my my 1st Rolex, after 2 years I even bought a brand new clasp! There is no way to avoid scratches, that is ok.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 02:02 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan of the "well worn look" myself, but the fine scratches are part of life. Your AD can easily remove them, but like John said, they'll be right back
Old 15 June 2006, 02:16 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well scratches are a fact of life,but can be polished as good as new on the routine 5 year service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 02:31 AM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Yes just leave them or with all the constant polishing it will need, the clasp will soon be wafer thin.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 04:42 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Langley,

If you want your watch to have come character, get rid of those "characters" !!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 04:55 AM   #8
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Leave them.. otherwise you'll be polishing the clasp ever other week for the rest of your life. Besides, they give the watch charactor.
Atomic, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for a clasp. My clasp has been polished a bunch, and the Rolex crown is showing signs of wear. Because of this, I only polish with an abrasive sponge occasionally, but would consider replacing if it wasnt too pricey.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Do not worry about the scratches too much. But if they are small and they really do bother you, try using a pencil eraser to lightly go over the scratches in the same dirrection as the grain of the polish.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley View Post
Live with the scratches... please. They give your watch character (and show that you wear it) At the five year service they'll polish them out - and you'll miss them and produce some more
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 09:33 AM   #11
Mark
TRF Founder

Watch: PAM 187 / SS LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
If you want your watch to have come character, get rid of those "characters" !!!
Well said ! JJ....your alright in my book !!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Wayno

Watch: TTDJ
My AD will buff out the little stuff while I wait. It's just a matter of how much you can take till it just won't work for you I just like mine looking new all the time.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2006, 04:24 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Well said ! JJ....your alright in my book !!
Thanks, Mark. Psst......hope you've included me on the same pages as those sexy chicks!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 16 June 2006, 04:16 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

I got a couple scuffs on mine.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2006, 04:20 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Now that is a perfect example of a watch with NO character whatsoever!!!

PS: And never mind those bloody scratches, guys!!

Old 16 June 2006, 04:25 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIPilot View Post
Atomic, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for a clasp. My clasp has been polished a bunch, and the Rolex crown is showing signs of wear. Because of this, I only polish with an abrasive sponge occasionally, but would consider replacing if it wasnt too pricey.
Clasp? What clasp? Mine is original. I haven't replaced it. It's got nicks and scratches on it and about once a year I'll take a scotchbrite pad to it and get the bigger ones out.

I have seen OEM replacement clasps online going for around US$300. Crazy considering the replacement bracelet is about CDN$800.

Of course, you could always remove the bracelet and wear the Rolex on a strap, as I frequently do. Guarantees your bracelet won't get a nick on it.
Old 16 June 2006, 06:43 AM   #17
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Clasp? What clasp? Mine is original. I haven't replaced it. It's got nicks and scratches on it and about once a year I'll take a scotchbrite pad to it and get the bigger ones out.

I have seen OEM replacement clasps online going for around US$300. Crazy considering the replacement bracelet is about CDN$800.

Of course, you could always remove the bracelet and wear the Rolex on a strap, as I frequently do. Guarantees your bracelet won't get a nick on it.

Oops, I meant to quote GerardoG, looks like he may have bought a repalcement clasp.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote