The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 June 2020, 05:43 AM   #1
vecca
"TRF" Member

Pocket watches?

I didn't see a forum on pocket watches. I think they are beautiful, and something that is great on a desk...

What is the overall feeling on pocket watches?
vecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 06:01 AM   #2
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I started collecting some as I have always liked their beauty.. Over time I did loose interest. I have 6. I focused mostly on the USA railroad pieces that had PR indicators. There are some good books about collecting.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:03 AM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Pocket watch collectors have been passing away, and not a lot of new people have been coming in to replace them.
Prices are down 30%-50% in general. My opinion, they aren't coming back.
As usual super rare items may bring good numbers. (less then 5).
The #3 serial Waltham just brought a record for an American watch.

The NAWCC has a forum and would be the place to discuss pocket watches. There is an annual membership fee. They do have regional shows, one national show and many regional clubs as well.

Very different atmosphere than this forum. No, "well done" back slapping at every acquisition.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:58 AM   #4
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll

I had my great grandfather’s 1918 Elgin restored about 10 years ago. He replaced broken jewels, serviced it and put in a new mainspring. I have it for sentimental reasons and will pass it on to the next generation or maybe even the following, depending on who shows interest.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:02 AM   #5
vecca
"TRF" Member

That's a beauty Baco. Thanks for sharing.
vecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:32 PM   #6
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

Old pocket watches are stunning. However, I think that pocket watch collecting is much lore like stamp or coin collecting than it is like wristwatch collecting. Wristwatches get worn and serve a practical purpose (a mechanical watch might not be the most efficient way to do this, but there is practical value). Very few people who are not Hipsters or steam punk enthusiasts carry a pocket watch. As such, unlike wrist watches, I think a pocket watch is something that does not get appreciated with use in daily life, but rather the appreciation of them is an activity unto itself.
outdoors_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 11:46 PM   #7
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors_guy View Post
Old pocket watches are stunning. However, I think that pocket watch collecting is much lore like stamp or coin collecting than it is like wristwatch collecting. Wristwatches get worn and serve a practical purpose (a mechanical watch might not be the most efficient way to do this, but there is practical value). Very few people who are not Hipsters or steam punk enthusiasts carry a pocket watch. As such, unlike wrist watches, I think a pocket watch is something that does not get appreciated with use in daily life, but rather the appreciation of them is an activity unto itself.
Although I basically agree with you. I do occasionally take a pocket watch out with me when I am wearing a sports coat. Just drop it in the inside pocket, I’m certainly no hipster or steampunk enthusiast
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 12:55 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, pocket watches are wonderful and have always admired them (and had a few over the past decades).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 01:04 AM   #9
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I took an old Elgin to a shop here in Austin to get cleaned and serviced. Said "whatever it takes, however long." Serial dated it to early 1900s. My grandfather gave it to me.

Then life kinda went to shit.

A couple years later, having never changed my phone number and having never gotten a call, I found the service tag. Called multiple times and never got an answer. I figure it's gone. I still might pop in and ask for an update. At this point it's been at least 6 years.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 01:35 AM   #10
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors_guy View Post
Very few people who are not Hipsters or steam punk enthusiasts carry a pocket watch.
On the contrary, almost everyone on the planet carries a pocket watch these days and pocket watches became so popular during the last 25 or so years that wrist watches have become less and less popular.

We call these digital pocket watches “cell phones” or “smartphones” and they have a lot of useful complications such as the ability to talk to anyone else on the planet :)

Mechanical pocket watches on the other hand are indeed very rare as you say
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 05:53 AM   #11
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

I have two relatively inexpensive pocket watches. When I worked (now retired) I always wore a suit or sport coat and almost always with a vest. I used the pocket watches frequently then but as my interest in wrist watches grew the pocket watches have been relegated to the drawer. I purchased 2 pocket watch stands, not yet received, and just plan to exhibit them on my desk. I’m convinced that I’ll enjoy them while displayed much more than hidden away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote