I could stare at this watch for days!!!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Joey5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 02:09 AM   #212
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Well I’ve had my VC for over a month now and have to say it’s the best watch I’ve ever owned - I’ve owned most Rolex models and the 5711. It’s just superb.

Which VC is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 07:28 AM   #213
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Which VC is this?

4500 - simple 3 hander. Prefer it to my white Daytona, blro, hulk, sky.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:36 AM   #214
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
They make only 20,000 pieces a year. Sure they’re now owned by a major conglomerate now ,even though quality hasn’t changed.
Essentially they paid their dues and some of their older complications are amazing. And they have a insanely long history similar to that of Patek. I have a fiftysix calendar and absolute adore it
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 02:50 PM   #215
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
4500 - simple 3 hander. Prefer it to my white Daytona, blro, hulk, sky.

Nice. I think the overseas is one of the better steel sports luxury watches in the market.

Just doesnt get the hype of the royal oak and nautilus. Maybe because not designed by genta.

But it can definitely hold its own.

The only VC in my stash is also a 4500V, a chocolate dial.

Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 07:58 AM   #216
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
They make only 20,000 pieces a year. Sure they’re now owned by a major conglomerate now ,even though quality hasn’t changed.
Essentially they paid their dues and some of their older complications are amazing. And they have a insanely long history similar to that of Patek. I have a fiftysix calendar and absolute adore it
Similar to Patek? They were celebrating their 90th birthday by the time Patek got into its own... Patek is not that old. Many watch brands were founded in the mid 1800s. Actually Lange was founded the very same year as Patek, in 1845, JLC 12 years earlier and IWC about 20 years later. Really nothing too special about that, especially when you compare that with Vacheron‘s uninterrupted production since 1755.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:09 AM   #217
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Similar to Patek? They were celebrating their 90th birthday by the time Patek got into its own... Patek is not that old. Many watch brands were founded in the mid 1800s. Actually Lange was founded the very same year as Patek, in 1845, JLC 12 years earlier and IWC about 20 years later. Really nothing too special about that, especially when you compare that with Vacheron‘s uninterrupted production since 1755.
I was just addressing the topic question as to why they’re in the trinity
You’re 100% right though
IMO it’s sad people don’t go as crazy for VC then AP etc... I think they have amazing stuff.
JLC is starting to get bigger, raising prices, more recognition. I have a black ultra thin and it’s in my top 3 favorites.
But digressing back I think Gerald genta making the royal oak or nautilus makes people go nuts over Patek/AP (hype) just my 2c
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 05:24 AM   #218
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you very much!
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 05:11 AM   #219
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of owners of luxury watches couldn't care less about retail value, I know that I don't. If it appreciates, great, but who gives a shit. If you think you'll really need the money in the future and selling a few pieces will make a difference in your life, perhaps buying them in the first place wasn't a good move. They're meant to be bought with disposable income.

A brand new Ferrari also takes a hit the day it leaves the dealership, but I don't imagine owners really care about that.

But that's the current state of affairs...guess the "hot demand" created a whole new segment of "value retention enthusiasts"...
Well said! I buy watches to wear and enjoy them, I know people who keep their watches in safes and never wear them! It's crazy, it's like buying a pagani zonda and putting a car cover over it and never using it

Sent from my Galaxy S20 ultra
armidoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 05:32 AM   #220
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I guess I'm different, I like to make money on my watches as well as wear them all the time.

I care if my cars lose money too.

I buy quality watches and cars...that make money...why the hell would someone purposely lose money? But to each his own
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 05:40 AM   #221
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I guess I'm different, I like to make money on my watches as well as wear them all the time.

I buy quality watches and cars...that make money...why the hell would someone purposely lose money? But to each his own
Does that apply to the women in your life too? Jk ;) But my point is sometimes you like something or someone without regard to its/their ability to make money. After all, money is means to an end, not the opposite. And let’s face it, when you found the watch you wanna put all those memories into, its not like you’re gonna resell it anyway.

The only pride you can take in a watch you’re babysitting for its future purchaser is having recognized other people’s demand... big deal, I prefer to take pride in my personal sense of taste, and frankly my ability to truly afford a watch, meaning my ability to write it off entirely. But then again, I’m an owner, not a trader, I buy with my eventual grandkids in mind, not a guy who’ll give me double retail.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 10 July 2020, 05:51 AM   #222
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post

I totally get where you coming from, but I wanted a blue VC overseas because I like it not because it makes me money. With all things you lose money on one but you make money on another.
Swings and roundabouts as they say

Old 10 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #223
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I get it guys...I'm a slave to my own issues of never wasting money (coming from a family that was poor...it's part of me)...that said, I totally understand buying a piece you are passionate about...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 06:03 AM   #224
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armidoro1 View Post
I totally get where you coming from, but I wanted a blue VC overseas because I like it not because it makes me money. With all things you lose money on one but you make money on another.
Swings and roundabouts as they say

Also, depending on how you bought it, you’re probably not too far in the red with that particular piece. Great choice btw, have mine on my wrist as I type this.

Old 10 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #225
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, depending on how you bought it, you’re probably not too far in the red with that particular piece. Great choice btw, have mine on my wrist as I type this.
Yip I'm not in the red because I got it new for a great deal along with a new Pepsi (which I sold, didn't like it on the wrist) so did pretty well I think , I also see they have increased the price recently.

Old 10 July 2020, 06:21 AM   #226
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yip I'm not in the red because I got it new for a great deal along with a new Pepsi (which I sold, didn't like it on the wrist) so did pretty well I think , I also see they have increased the price recently.

Haha, could you believe I also bought mine within about a week of getting a new Pepsi last summer, which I then also sold (exchanged for a Lange) for the lack of liking it on the wrist... we really have the same taste it seems.

Old 10 July 2020, 06:28 AM   #227
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, could you believe I also bought mine within about a week of getting a new Pepsi last summer, which I then also sold (exchanged for a Lange) for the lack of liking it on the wrist... we really have the same taste it seems.
Haha what are the odds
Lange is next on my list although the VC black dial dual time is calling my name!
Congrats on the Lange by the way!

P.s. Which Lange did you get?

Old 10 July 2020, 06:49 AM   #228
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha what are the odds
Lange is next on my list although the VC black dial dual time is calling my name!
Congrats on the Lange by the way!

P.s. Which Lange did you get?

Are you sure we’re not the same person, I am awfully tempted by the black dial dual time as well. The Lange is the grand L1 in WG, black dial. Such a wonderful watch. You have to see it in person to fully appreciate it though. It’s very discreet, but that’s a big part of its charm.

Old 10 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #229
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure we’re not the same person, I am awfully tempted by the black dial dual time as well. The Lange is the grand L1 in WG, black dial. Such a wonderful watch. You have to see it in person to fully appreciate it though. It’s very discreet, but that’s a big part of its charm.
Haha I was actually in the VC and lange boutiques this morning checking out some pieces