The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #1
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

Considering 15300

Hey All -

I am a serious buyer for a 15300, and found one that has the extract/archive papers, but not the original certificate.

I've done some archive post digging through this post, but wanted to hear some fresh perspectives and thoughts on that in general...all of your two cents are welcome!

FWIW, the thought that I come across most seems to be that for discontinued models, this seems to be acceptable but wanted to do my due diligence from those who are experienced on the forum.

For Context: I wear all my watches, and do not plan on selling...but I guess you never know down the road...

Thanks all in advanced!
Mick.h.lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 07:46 AM   #2
lablulaybel
"TRF" Member

I literally bought my 15300st Blue dial 4 months ago. It is literally the best RO IMO. It is a perfect size of all the RO's. 39mm is by far the right size. I have friends that have the 15400 and 15500's and they are too big and have a lot of open space on the dial. Gerald Genta designed the RO originally in a 39mm. The 15202 which is the original RO is amazing too but does not have a lock-down crown, Seconds hand, and quick set date. I would 100% recommend the 15300 over any other RO. If you are buying one without original papers, but archive papers, you save a grand or two on the price vs one with original Box and Papers. Good luck, not a mistake by any means.
lablulaybel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 05:31 PM   #3
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Buy it, especially if it's the black dial. The perfect Royal Oak.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 09:38 PM   #4
teks066
"TRF" Member

I think blue dial is absolute killer
teks066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 09:38 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
How is the price compared to a full set? Any red flags? These were not accurately faked so you should have no real worries there, any pics?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 09:44 PM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you find one snag it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 10:40 PM   #7
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
AP extract costs about $1,000 to obtain from AP. Value shouldn’t be diminished at all with an extract on an AP.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 11:03 PM   #8
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

AP extract is 250..I believe TRUE authentication is 1000...

regardless of that...my experience seems to be inline with the above post...generally the extract vs original certificate SHOULD be reflected on the cost...but the relative lack fo 15300s in the market and various factors dictate values to remain pretty much unaffected...

I have no major qualms about it, just wanting thoughts...
Old 1 October 2019, 11:43 PM   #9
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.h.lim View Post
AP extract is 250..I believe TRUE authentication is 1000...

regardless of that...my experience seems to be inline with the above post...generally the extract vs original certificate SHOULD be reflected on the cost...but the relative lack fo 15300s in the market and various factors dictate values to remain pretty much unaffected...

I have no major qualms about it, just wanting thoughts...
Interesting. Where can you order the extract? APSC?
Old 1 October 2019, 11:47 PM   #10
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Go for it!

Such a great piece. Still kicking myself for passing on a white dial since I wanted blue. Now they're $10k+ more than then...
Old 1 October 2019, 11:48 PM   #11
jag32
Banned

About the 15300, I think it just comes down to size. I own(ed) a 15300OR and have a 15400 blue dial. I have a 6.95” wrist and the 15400 just wears so much better. If I had a 6.5” wrist or below , then yes I would only do 39mm Royal Oaks because the lugs on the 15400 would hang over my wrist. The dial on the 15400 is not disproportionately too large, though the 15500 appears that way slightly due to removal of the Automatic.

One of the gray dealers I talked to trying to sell my 15300 told me he was flat out not interested in any 15300 because they are tough pieces to move and no one wants them except the Asian market (who typically have smaller wrists). Most grays refused to buy my 15300 at any price citing it was a slow mover and tough to sell, and others lowballed citing similar reasons that it could sit in Their inventory for over a year before selling. Maybe the last few weeks there aren’t a lot of 15300s on chrono24, but that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily rising In value significantly or becoming very sought after again. According to all the grays on 47th St who know the market better than any of us, the 15300 isn’t “back” yet.
Old 1 October 2019, 11:54 PM   #12
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Interesting. Where can you order the extract? APSC?
Yes sir - it's part of the menu of Services on their website
Old 2 October 2019, 12:18 AM   #13
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
About the 15300, I think it just comes down to size. I own(ed) a 15300OR and have a 15400 blue dial. I have a 6.95” wrist and the 15400 just wears so much better. If I had a 6.5” wrist or below , then yes I would only do 39mm Royal Oaks because the lugs on the 15400 would hang over my wrist. The dial on the 15400 is not disproportionately too large, though the 15500 appears that way slightly due to removal of the Automatic.

One of the gray dealers I talked to trying to sell my 15300 told me he was flat out not interested in any 15300 because they are tough pieces to move and no one wants them except the Asian market (who typically have smaller wrists). Most grays refused to buy my 15300 at any price citing it was a slow mover and tough to sell, and others lowballed citing similar reasons that it could sit in Their inventory for over a year before selling. Maybe the last few weeks there aren’t a lot of 15300s on chrono24, but that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily rising In value significantly or becoming very sought after again. According to all the grays on 47th St who know the market better than any of us, the 15300 isn’t “back” yet.
that's really interesting and good to know! Btw, nice to meet a fellow DC member! I may have to glean from you some knowledge :)
Old 2 October 2019, 12:20 AM   #14
jag32
Banned

Quote:
that's really interesting and good to know! Btw, nice to meet a fellow DC member! I may have to glean from you some knowledge :)
Yes good to see other DC folks! Check this out... https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=698114
Old 2 October 2019, 12:37 AM   #15
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes good to see other DC folks! Check this out... https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=698114
will do! love your lineup...im trying to get an AP + Tank so we're aligned...
Old 2 October 2019, 12:52 AM   #16
jag32
Banned

Quote:
will do! love your lineup...im trying to get an AP + Tank so we're aligned...
Tiny Jewel Box in DC will discount the Tank to beat the prices on chrono24. That’s where I got mine and they’re great people.
Old 26 May 2020, 04:39 AM   #17
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Icon5 AP Certificate

I, too, am paranoid about purchasing a pre-owned, high-dollar watch without full documentations/papers as when acquired new. I understand that you could always send in your Rolex or AP for service and obtain the official certificate after acquisition, but it seem futile post sale. Am I missing something?
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:50 AM   #18
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
I, too, am paranoid about purchasing a pre-owned, high-dollar watch without full documentations/papers as when acquired new. I understand that you could always send in your Rolex or AP for service and obtain the official certificate after acquisition, but it seem futile post sale. Am I missing something?
For rolex since there is no archive service, I always buy full set. For AP and Patek, you can get the full service history of the watch from their archives so it is a bit different. Plus AP / Patek refuse to service watches that do not show up in their records, so if there is a service history + extracts for AP its perfectly fine.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:24 AM   #19
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nowadays, papers mean nothing because it became easy for counterfeit to fake papers as well as the watch.

Plus, the box is nice to have, especially a AP one, but is it necessary? You wear your watch on the wrist, not the box or am I missing something haha.
Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:40 AM   #20
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
Nowadays, papers mean nothing because it became easy for counterfeit to fake papers as well as the watch.

Plus, the box is nice to have, especially a AP one, but is it necessary? You wear your watch on the wrist, not the box or am I missing something haha.
I'd rather have official papers than a box. I take it you sleep peacefully forking out thousands without substantial proof of origin... When in doubt, buy the Seller.
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 03:19 PM   #21
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd rather have official papers than a box. I take it you sleep peacefully forking out thousands without substantial proof of origin... When in doubt, buy the Seller.
You can't wear the box and papers though...
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 07:14 PM   #22
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 09:06 AM   #23
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

I just got mine back from servicing. What a great watch!
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 02:20 PM   #24
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

The 15300 is the way to go. I had a 15400 and it was way too big for my liking (7 inch wrist). Also, I like that the 15300 has the AP logo at the 12:00 marker.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote