The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2021, 01:49 AM   #1
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Omega revives the beloved reference 3572 in the new 2021 Speedmaster

Well, sorta. I was reading Fratello's recent "hands-on" comparison of the new 2021 Speedmaster Pro (with cal 3861) to the outgoing model (with reference 1861) when I realized that the new model probably allows us to custom-build a current replacement for reference 3572, which featured Hesalite in front and sapphire in back.

The article is mostly further discussion of what we have already seen and read about the new model, but RJ did show us something new with his new Speedmaster: he removed the solid case-back to show the improved finishing on the new movement, and to compare its fitment into the case versus the previous model.

One thing I noted in these photos is that the soft iron dust cover used in the outgoing Speedmaster is not used in the new one (resistance to magnetism is accomplished otherwise in the new model). Looking further at Fratello's photos, it appears very likely that the transparent case-back from the new "sapphire sandwich" ought to be a direct swap for the solid one that comes on the new Hesalite model. If I'm right, and if Omega will sell the transparent case-back, then anyone could re-create the beloved reference 3572, which featured a Hesalite crystal and a transparent case-back.

What do you guys think? Does it seem like an attractive proposition to create a custom Speedmaster that's Hesalite in front and sapphire in back?

Here's the link to Fratello's article: https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...ch-new-vs-old/

Here are a couple of photos from Fratello's site that I think show the likelihood that the new transparent case-back ought to be a direct swap for the new solid case-back:

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 01:51 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
What do you guys think? Does it seem like an attractive proposition to create a custom Speedmaster that's Hesalite in front and sapphire in back?
I think it would be great.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:36 AM   #3
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

That'd be my choice config tbh...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:19 AM   #4
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Ahhh but which bracelet would you choose, fully brushed or with polished highlights?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:22 AM   #5
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Yes, Hesalite crystal, sapphire back, brushed bracelet.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #6
logo
"TRF" Member

Cool if it works, but I'm a traditionalist - if I wanted the open caseback I'd just get it all sapphire, and if I wanted the hesalite I'd keep it with the solid caseback.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #7
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
But didn't the hesalite watch come with a display case back before the sapphire version was introduced?

It's also interesting to hear that the new bracelet fits the Snoopy 3.

Last edited by ratty; 14 January 2021 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: Adding more.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:25 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
But didn't the hesalite watch come with a display case back before the sapphire version was introduced?
Yeah, it was reference 3572, as mentioned at the top of this thread. There was a predecessor to reference 3572 that used Tritium on the dial and probably a different bracelet, and it was reference 3592.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote