The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 April 2018, 04:54 AM   #3061
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Would it make sense to start a "Simply Budget Friendly.....Wine Thread" on the forum? I would image there are some on the board (including myself) that just aren't willing to spend the kind of money a lot of these bottles cost.
Don’t forget this thread started with an $8 bottle of Ménage a Trois. There are all types of bottles ($) posted on this thread.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 11:48 AM   #3062
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I guess wine budget is relative, but there are several bottles in the thread under $40. Most of what I drink is in the $25-50 range.

Our weekday wines are in the $10-$20/bottle range and on the weekends we pull from cellar and most of those are $30-$60 with some reaching the $200 range.

Wine’s all relative and the value come in price to quality ratio IMHO. I’ve had several in the $20 - $40 that were outstanding and my wife and I will then ask ourselves “would we rather have X number of these, or 1 $100 bottle of XYZ wine?”
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 01:19 PM   #3063
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Our weekday wines are in the $10-$20/bottle range and on the weekends we pull from cellar and most of those are $30-$60 with some reaching the $200 range.

Wine’s all relative and the value come in price to quality ratio IMHO. I’ve had several in the $20 - $40 that were outstanding and my wife and I will then ask ourselves “would we rather have X number of these, or 1 $100 bottle of XYZ wine?
This is exactly how the wife and I approach wine as well!
Old 28 April 2018, 11:41 PM   #3064
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Simply...The Wine Thread

I buy (and collect) wine that I like - based on my appreciation of the process, the style , the complexity, the varietal amongst many other aspects - but importantly my (and my wife’s of course) palate.

While I do have my limits, price, score, reviews, etc. have not been a key driving factor in my decision making process as to how I ‘fill up’ my cellar.

Every bottle we have in our cellar has a story, where we were the first time we had it, a special occasion, were introduced to the winemaker by friends, or simply bi-products through our visits to the wine resigns of the world....all that kind of stuff.

While we do, quite often attend tastings of other vintners as well as varietals, and are very open to new wines, our cellar is a representation of our likes, our palates as well as our journeys.

Just my .02

Cheers all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:44 AM   #3065
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

20 year old Napa Cab from the cellar. Why? Why not! We worked hard today in the yard and I’m grilling steaks / asparagus and Laurie is doing portobello mushroom risotto, so this seemed like a good option.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 29 April 2018, 11:06 AM   #3066
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wine’s all relative and the value come in price to quality ratio IMHO. I’ve had several in the $20 - $40 that were outstanding and my wife and I will then ask ourselves “would we rather have X number of these, or 1 $100 bottle of XYZ wine?”
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I buy (and collect) wine that I like - based on my appreciation of the process, the style , the complexity, the varietal amongst many other aspects - but importantly my (and my wife’s of course) palate.

While I do have my limits, price, score, reviews, etc. have not been a key driving factor in my decision making process as to how I ‘fill up’ my cellar.

Every bottle we have in our cellar has a story, where we were the first time we had it, a special occasion, were introduced to the winemaker by friends, or simply bi-products through our visits to the wine resigns of the world....all that kind of stuff.

While we do, quite often attend tastings of other vintners as well as varietals, and are very open to new wines, our cellar is a representation of our likes, our palates as well as our journeys.

Just my .02

Cheers all!!!

Once more thing I want to add...I do not buy Vinted and Bottled or Cellared and Bottled wines that are over $20. I prefer wines that are Grown, Produced, and Bottled, but I will pay for a Produced and Bottled wine.
Old 29 April 2018, 11:21 AM   #3067
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Molly Dooker Blue Eyed Boy

Old 29 April 2018, 01:13 PM   #3068
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Molly Dooker Blue Eyed Boy

Nice
I had leave mine almost 4-5 hours out cause of the alcohol content. I think It was high, almost 16% if I remember correctly. They make interesting wines
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 02:38 PM   #3069
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Once more thing I want to add...I do not buy Vinted and Bottled or Cellared and Bottled wines that are over $20. I prefer wines that are Grown, Produced, and Bottled, but I will pay for a Produced and Bottled wine.

Our wines are aged in our own cellar and we also buy plenty of “drink it now” wines, most of which are <$20 too.
Old 30 April 2018, 01:34 PM   #3070
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Tonight’s selection...

GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 09:43 PM   #3071
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Nice

I had leave mine almost 4-5 hours out cause of the alcohol content. I think It was high, almost 16% if I remember correctly. They make interesting wines

I had the Molly Dooker Gigglepots the first time. This one was much more drinkable. However, this one was still better the second night.

Old 3 May 2018, 05:33 AM   #3072
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP

Picked up a few of these, don’t even remember how I stumbled across the brand but WE rated it a 97 so for the price I took a shot on 4 bottles.
Old 3 May 2018, 08:49 AM   #3073
RHIII

Simply...The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post

Picked up a few of these, don’t even remember how I stumbled across the brand but WE rated it a 97 so for the price I took a shot on 4 bottles.

It’s actually a great wine for the price point — I think it needs a cpl-few years in the cellar (or a good few hours in the decanter) but we were pleasantly surprised how much character it had. It’s got a more Caymus-y fruit forward kind of structure to it without all of the secondary sugar - and it mellowed out a bit in the decanter- but didn’t lose its structure.

A friend of ours who has a store in NC had it in a tasting and he asked us to try it and give some thoughts....

Let me know what you think!!!

Cheers buddy!!

Old 3 May 2018, 09:17 AM   #3074
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
It’s actually a great wine for the price point — I think it needs a cpl-few years in the cellar (or a good few hours in the decanter) but we were pleasantly surprised how much character it had. It’s got a more Caymus-y fruit forward kind of structure to it without all of the secondary sugar - and it mellowed out a bit in the decanter- but didn’t lose its structure.

A friend of ours who has a store in NC had it in a tasting and he asked us to try it and give some thoughts....

Let me know what you think!!!

Cheers buddy!!

You’re everywhere in the wine world!
After I ordered them I started going through the in depth reviews and they, for the most part, agree with you. Fruit bomb’ish/sugar content - but, if aged or decanted should produce a nice product. A few just straight up said it wasn’t for them, which worried me. So, I’m glad to see your opinion here! Definitely makes me feel better about the purchase! Thank you!
Will most likely drink one soon (after decanting) and if the Mrs enjoys will add some for the future.
Thanks again, your opinion is always appreciated! Give coco a pet for me
Old 3 May 2018, 10:55 AM   #3075
RHIII

Quote:
You’re everywhere in the wine world!

After I ordered them I started going through the in depth reviews and they, for the most part, agree with you. Fruit bomb’ish/sugar content - but, if aged or decanted should produce a nice product. A few just straight up said it wasn’t for them, which worried me. So, I’m glad to see your opinion here! Definitely makes me feel better about the purchase! Thank you!

Will most likely drink one soon (after decanting) and if the Mrs enjoys will add some for the future.

Thanks again, your opinion is always appreciated! Give coco a pet for me

You’ll have to let me know what you think for sure. Again, we thought it was a great buy - and didn’t disappoint at the second

Coco definitely appreciates it — sends a ‘pet’ back to Porkie!

Old 3 May 2018, 11:13 AM   #3076
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Had this one earlier in this thread. There is a member/poster on this thread who lives close to this vineyard.Sadly I don't remember who. He may chime in. The ones in the background are pretty special too!
I liked it at the price point,but it needs a bit to open up as Roger said.
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 01:22 PM   #3077
James K
"TRF" Member

Having this one tonight, been a go to for at least a year now...
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 01:30 PM   #3078
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Simply...The Wine Thread

Quote:

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Would it make sense to start a "Simply Budget Friendly.....Wine Thread" on the forum? I would image there are some on the board (including myself) that just aren't willing to spend the kind of money a lot of these bottles cost.
Tonights Delight... Look at this thread closer. There are a lot of good resonably priced wines posted and some nice tasting note too I might add!

PS- RHIII, Thanks for the push to have a glass of wine tonight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbf32091436929e26d4085170ad5b414.jpg (12.3 KB, 73 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 01:45 PM   #3079
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

A good friend of mine owns his own vineyard in Paso Robles and produces in small batches and only gifts the bottles away. Apparently selling them causes a lot of work he cannot deal with while still working a full time job. As he is getting ready to retire I hope he will put the time and effort in to bring to market. Wonderful wine for what he could sell it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:36 AM   #3080
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Off to dinner with some friends! Happy Friday Evening, Cheers!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:42 AM   #3081
James K
"TRF" Member

Having a 100 pointer shootout tonight, going to be a little biased towards the Hundred Acre.
Old 5 May 2018, 04:07 PM   #3082
James K
"TRF" Member

Well finished both and ended up opening a 2014 bottle of Dominus on top of the other two. My god what a wine night! Hands down I get why people like the Hundred Acre so much. It truly was a great bottle, didn't mind at all the cost, great stuff (2012 Ark).
Old 5 May 2018, 04:52 PM   #3083
Lawman77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Well finished both and ended up opening a 2014 bottle of Dominus on top of the other two. My god what a wine night! Hands down I get why people like the Hundred Acre so much. It truly was a great bottle, didn't mind at all the cost, great stuff (2012 Ark).
Sounds like a great night! Being in Oregon, I love my Pinot noir, but those cabs are heavy hitters. Cheers!!
Lawman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #3084
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Another terrific Aussie wine that punches above it's weight and has improved with age.
About A$15. when purchased in 2013, it drinks like a $40 wine. Great body and length and a refined balance.
McLaren Vale is a wine growing area south of Adelaide, the Capital of South Australia. Grapes have been grown in this are since about 1840 and today there are about 80 'cellar doors' in the region.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:01 PM   #3085
RHIII

Quote:

Looks like a great night for sure!!! I thought you were going to save the Hundred Acre!! Ha!!

Yep- Hundred Acre has always been in my top 5!!! 12s are fantastic- wait until you have one with some age on it, if you can get ahold of some 04s or 07s they are spectacular. The 09s are drinking super well right now too.

The 13 Opus is great— for sure — I think it just needs several more years in the cellar to really ‘shine’.

Have a great weekend!!!

Old 6 May 2018, 04:01 AM   #3086
James K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like a great night for sure!!! I thought you were going to save the Hundred Acre!! Ha!!

Yep- Hundred Acre has always been in my top 5!!! 12s are fantastic- wait until you have one with some age on it, if you can get ahold of some 04s or 07s they are spectacular. The 09s are drinking super well right now too.

The 13 Opus is great— for sure — I think it just needs several more years in the cellar to really ‘shine’.

Have a great weekend!!!

I have another bottle I'm saving ('14 Kaylie), this was an extra pickup a few months ago. I did the Opus a disservice by opening it up along with the Dominus and Hundred Acre however it was a nice problem to have. I'm working on acquiring a few more 100 acres before jetting off to Barbados next month, the question is to take one with me or wait til I get back?
Old 6 May 2018, 04:03 AM   #3087
RHIII

Simply...The Wine Thread

Quote:
I have another bottle I'm saving ('14 Kaylie), this was an extra pickup a few months ago. I did the Opus a disservice by opening it up along with the Dominus and Hundred Acre however it was a nice problem to have. I'm working on acquiring a few more 100 acres before jetting off to Barbados next month, the question is to take one with me or wait til I get back?

We always have wine in tow when we travel!!

I’d try to ‘sit’ on the 14 as long as you can possibly stand it!!!

Old 6 May 2018, 06:50 AM   #3088
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
UPS just dropped these off for me to try.

teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:52 PM   #3089
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
UPS just dropped these off for me to try.

Old 6 May 2018, 12:59 PM   #3090
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=teqp;8551551]UPS just dropped these off for me to try.

Great stuff from a great guy!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote