The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11 March 2020, 07:26 AM   #1441
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio_86 View Post
The point is that if you get it... 20% is the chance you need to stay in hospital.... 5% you need automated breathing system and oxygen.... this is the drama.... health system here in italy, as worldwide, has a limited number of beds with such instruments... so hundredths of people every day adding is not good... and then you need the machinery for at least 1 month. That's the point... Anyway still alive here in Maranello ... no virus and no fever :)
Very glad to hear you are still in good health and safe. Maranello is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
That is not the picture I have. So far in Italy all dead were older than 65 with most of them older than 85. The younger you are, the more likely you will have mild to no symptoms, so far no one under the age of 10 has died. If you have severe health issues or smoke, then you need to be careful.

This is the opposite of the Spanish flu which mostly killed the young. It will most likely not have a large impact other than causing unneeded panic everywhere including the markets in my opinion.

Let's just ride it out until spring, the warmer weather will help a lot since winter is optimal for spreading of this type of virus. Just make sure your older relatives stay reasonably isolated if possible.
There are some doctor accounts coming from Italy that say that is a misconception and young are being impacted as well and very sick in some cases. We know that cigarette smoking will complicate matters regardless of age. I do know that cigarette smoking is still very prevalent with younger Italians.

The Spanish Flu had what experts assume to be 3 waves or variations (if not 2). First was a very mild strain (in Spanish Flu terms) that came ~ Early Fall 1918 and which hit mostly the elderly. The Later Fall into Early Spring 1919 began to see a much more aggressive strain that greatly impacted young adults ages 18 to 40 and caused significant deaths as a result. Followed by what was another wave of mild cases in later Spring 1919. It's quite possible that wave 1 and 2 were two different strains and wave 3 was a reemergence of wave 1 strain rather than a new one all together.

Regardless, we can't assume SARS-COV-2 won't continue to evolve beyond it's currently projected Strain L and S. And we can't assume then that this will only impact elderly and poor health. There is already some evidence that latter is not true.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:31 AM   #1442
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
We decided not to attend tonight’s New Jersey Devils’ hockey game. We are a little older.

I think social distancing and mass testing (happened in South Korea, not in USA so far) are winning strategies.

Wish all the best of health for my fellow watch enthusiasts and their families.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:33 AM   #1443
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
We don't know the scale of the problem because testing hasn't really started in any meaningful way. In NYC, the doctors I know are all working around the clock. And we have barely any "confirmed" cases, although they are increasing rapidly now that testing is becoming more common, though still infrequent. Also, the point is not every single bed is occupied with C19 cases, but the relevant statistic is how much excess capacity does the system have to handle these cases above and beyond the normal base case workload? My guess is most hospitals that are well run do not have a lot of spare beds or spare personnel lying around as they it is not a cost effective way to run any operation. So how much incremental capacity is there in the system compared to what the system would face with moderate outbreak? How quickly can we scale up that capacity? How can we delay the onset so that we can scale up? Lots of unknowns, and I understand the skepticism, but we need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:45 AM   #1444
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has confirmed a third case of COVID-19 in Minnesota. The newest patient is an adult resident of Anoka County in the 30 to 39 age range who was likely exposed through contact with international travelers.

The unidentified patient is hospitalized in critical condition.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #1445
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
We don't know the scale of the problem because testing hasn't really started in any meaningful way. In NYC, the doctors I know are all working around the clock. And we have barely any "confirmed" cases, although they are increasing rapidly now that testing is becoming more common, though still infrequent. Also, the point is not every single bed is occupied with C19 cases, but the relevant statistic is how much excess capacity does the system have to handle these cases above and beyond the normal base case workload? My guess is most hospitals that are well run do not have a lot of spare beds or spare personnel lying around as they it is not a cost effective way to run any operation. So how much incremental capacity is there in the system compared to what the system would face with moderate outbreak? How quickly can we scale up that capacity? How can we delay the onset so that we can scale up? Lots of unknowns, and I understand the skepticism, but we need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I think you are correct and most operate as for profit business, so they follow the similar faulty ideal of the just in time inventory delivery method that corporations in other industries do in order to increase "turnover" and supposed "profitability". I imagine all this will put pressure on many countries and industries to develop backup capacity and/or inventory and place a premium on quality of product/services rather than just in time service/product. There's certainly the argument that running lean actually deteriorates shareholder value in long-term stability in favor of short-term earnings. In other words keep pushing the ball down the course and "risk management" says look to scenario analysis and incorrectly focus on most entirely the highest probability outcome only. Using a single-factor model/solution to a multi-factor problem is really the problem and imo the biggest shareholder detriment.
Old 11 March 2020, 07:49 AM   #1446
Brew
"TRF" Member

Colleges and Universities are telling kids not to come back from Spring break. The semester will be completed remotely/on-line. Grinnell and Cornell, that I've seen so far.
Old 11 March 2020, 08:05 AM   #1447
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
What happens regarding cases in the US with your healthcare system? Isn’t it insurance based? So what if you can’t afford the care?

Is it wavered in these circumstances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 March 2020, 08:10 AM   #1448
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has confirmed a third case of COVID-19 in Minnesota. The newest patient is an adult resident of Anoka County in the 30 to 39 age range who was likely exposed through contact with international travelers.

The unidentified patient is hospitalized in critical condition.
Wow - 30-39 age range - was it known if he had other medical complications to put him in critical condition from contacting the virus?
Old 11 March 2020, 08:13 AM   #1449
dgrelecki
"TRF" Member

Yes, in the US the insurance companies are being mandated to cover the testing, etc. I’d expect they’ll have a plan in the next couple of days. As is with everything in the US healthcare system, it’s complicated. They’re dealing with the Revenue service and other areas to make sure they can cover these services for free.
WAY to complicated.
Old 11 March 2020, 08:16 AM   #1450
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrelecki View Post
Yes, in the US the insurance companies are being mandated to cover the testing, etc. I’d expect they’ll have a plan in the next couple of days. As is with everything in the US healthcare system, it’s complicated. They’re dealing with the Revenue service and other areas to make sure they can cover these services for free.
WAY to complicated.

Thank you

Old 11 March 2020, 08:23 AM   #1451
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I honestly felt safer flying today than ever before. Not many people on the flight and all were dousing themselves in sanitizers. I think the fact that people are pre quarantining and that warm weather is on the horizon that this will actually get contained relatively quick. I had a pretty draconian view previously.

Old 11 March 2020, 08:33 AM   #1452
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
WAY to complicated.
They are not being mandated my friend. They volunteered to. In the United States the government can’t force a company to do something. At least not yet.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 08:52 AM   #1453
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Colleges and Universities are telling kids not to come back from Spring break. The semester will be completed remotely/on-line. Grinnell and Cornell, that I've seen so far.
Harvard and Purdue as well.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:10 AM   #1454
dgrelecki
"TRF" Member

State or federal government can’t force an insurance company to do something? Disagree completely, but yes...they were “voluntold” to handle this way. Good for them though. Increases to claims means increase to premiums which equates to bigger profit. Sadly, that’s the law post ACA ... (off the soapbox). Be healthy, all.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:21 AM   #1455
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I am in my senior year at a large State University and there are talks that we could have online classes for a month or the rest of the term. I see that some other Universities have closed as well.
Old 11 March 2020, 09:36 AM   #1456
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
State or federal government can’t force an insurance company to do something? Disagree completely, but yes...they were “voluntold” to handle this way. Good for them though. Increases to claims means increase to premiums which equates to bigger profit. Sadly, that’s the law post ACA ... (off the soapbox). Be healthy, all.

IIRC, anytime a diagnostic code is confirmed by either exam or by testing, R&C charges can be filed with insurance that meets the minimum standards of coverage.

Now, of course, each policy carries its own copays, deductibles and reimbursement percentages for in-network vs. out of network physicians and/or facilities. I’m guessing most Americans haven’t met their deductibles yet anyway - so there will be a fee even after insurance claim is processed.

Wouldn’t the tests have been covered in the normal course of business?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 11 March 2020, 10:23 AM   #1457
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Wow - 30-39 age range - was it known if he had other medical complications to put him in critical condition from contacting the virus?
They haven’t released any other information yet. Certainly concerning.
Old 11 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #1458
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Just got some good prices on flights from Toronto to Orlando to go home for Easter.
Old 11 March 2020, 10:33 AM   #1459
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just released an update. Patient is in his 30s with NO previous health conditions.
Old 11 March 2020, 10:35 AM   #1460
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Just released an update. Patient is in his 30s with NO previous health conditions.

Going to have the occasional outlier here and there. Hate to be so blunt but that is sadly always the case...
Old 11 March 2020, 10:56 AM   #1461
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Just got some good prices on flights from Toronto to Orlando to go home for Easter.
Be careful what you say on this thread. Although I don't blame you, it seems to upset others. A member got the boot yesterday for stating similar. I do hope the carona goes away soon though.

SM-N960U
Old 11 March 2020, 11:46 AM   #1462
rowdy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
My niece had her DC trip canceled. She was looking forward to going.
Old 11 March 2020, 01:03 PM   #1463
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
What happens if this gets into the Rolex factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 March 2020, 01:03 PM   #1464
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
It was said on multiple occasions and more notably by Dr. Fauci that 25% of patients will need to be hospitalized. Some also keep throwing around the this is just the flu and only people with underlining health conditions and above 80 narrative is absolutely dangerous and asinine. How many people do you know who are in triathlon shape? Italy is in the light and the situation there is horrible. This same situation will be here. Chalk it up anyway you want but you can't sweep what's happening in Italy under the rug and keep your head in the sand. I'm not at all panicking but rather pointing out something so obvious it might as well hit you on the head. If you keep thinking it's just the flu you're putting yourself and others at risk.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 11 March 2020, 01:08 PM   #1465
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I have made the decision to tune out the talking head doctors in TV studios regurgitating the same stuff over and over.

Doctors who are on the front line, actively fighting the virus, not in theory, but in practice, have my complete attention.

Here is an example from Italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mrPHO-nkVE

The healthcare system of Northern Italy, which is modern and well funded, was essentially overrun by the virus in short order, especially patients needing critical care and support.

The 6:00 mark onward really caught my attention, even more than the hosts necktie!

It was spoken from experience. First hand experience. Not speculation or agenda. Not Panicky ratings grabs...it was a very clear warning.

If you don't control the spread of the virus, it will overwhelm your healthcare system.

He's seen it and lived it.
Old 11 March 2020, 01:27 PM   #1466
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I have made the decision to tune out the talking head doctors in TV studios regurgitating the same stuff over and over.

Doctors who are on the front line, actively fighting the virus, not in theory, but in practice, have my complete attention.

Here is an example from Italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mrPHO-nkVE

The healthcare system of Northern Italy, which is modern and well funded, was essentially overrun by the virus in short order, especially patients needing critical care and support.

The 6:00 mark onward really caught my attention, even more than the hosts necktie!

It was spoken from experience. First hand experience. Not speculation or agenda. Not Panicky ratings grabs...it was a very clear warning.

If you don't control the spread of the virus, it will overwhelm your healthcare system.

He's seen it and lived it.
Great share thank you!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 11 March 2020, 02:22 PM   #1467
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
What happens if this gets into the Rolex factory.
If it does, your local AD will be the safest place to be.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 11 March 2020, 02:37 PM   #1468
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post

I wanted to address this lockdown/Quarantine. I still can’t understand how this will accomplish anything other then delaying the inevitable.

Think about this, if every one just stayed home for 2 weeks (unless hospitalization is required), the virus would run it’s course and die out. It’s a lot of pain to do this but it would be short lived.

Old 11 March 2020, 03:01 PM   #1469
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Think about this, if every one just stayed home for 2 weeks (unless hospitalization is required), the virus would run it’s course and die out. It’s a lot of pain to do this but it would be short lived.

I share the same thoughts. 2 - 3 weeks max. Everyone stays home and it dies off. Especially in high density areas. Radical but worth the try.

Old 11 March 2020, 03:08 PM   #1470
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I share the same thoughts. 2 - 3 weeks max. Everyone stays home and it dies off. Especially in high density areas. Radical but worth the try.

Right, it’s like ripping the band aid off quickly vs. taking 6 months. A short burst of pain (by staying home a few weeks) is better than death by a thousand cuts and this thing lasting another 6 months.

Cancel Everything

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ything/607675/

Closed Thread