The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 13 March 2020, 10:16 AM   #1771
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Here in Ontario Canada, the province has now extended the March break for another two weeks. This is to deal with vacationers returning from their destination and having 14 days added to self isolate so that children in schools don’t become infected or carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #1772
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I plan on watching Steven King's The Stand miniseries this weekend. It seems appropriate in these times.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 13 March 2020, 11:05 AM   #1773
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Any Docs in here that can DM me what to expect as someone who has viral induced asthma?

Anxiety level is growing.
Old 13 March 2020, 11:41 AM   #1774
rowdy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Disney and Universal will be closed til the end of the month.
Old 13 March 2020, 11:48 AM   #1775
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy3 View Post
Disney and Universal will be closed til the end of the month.
One of the last places I would want to be, seems pretty logical.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 13 March 2020, 11:52 AM   #1776
CalSRQ1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Have to say -

4 weeks ago if someone would have said that NBA and NHL leagues would suspend seasons, colleges would send kids home (including mine) for the semester, I’d say you’re crazy. Not to mention scope of infections, the market, jobs etc.

Wow. What a complete disaster and tragedy. For some, a medical crisis. For most, medically not an issue. Economics and society- horrible.

Stay well all.
Old 13 March 2020, 12:42 PM   #1777
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
This sounds like some sort of mass hysteria, War of the Worlds broadcast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 March 2020, 12:44 PM   #1778
StarvingBillionaire
Banned

This article compares two different approaches to deal with COVID19: the lockdown approach (Italy) versus the test-and-track approach (S. Korea). The test-and-track approach is much more effective, the article concludes.

But I'm afraid that the effective test-and-track approach is hard to implement in a big country like US. I just hope that our government won't enforce the Italian lockdown approach.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20Z27P

"MILAN/SEOUL (Reuters) - In Italy, millions are locked down and more than 1,000 people have died from the coronavirus. In South Korea, hit by the disease at about the same time, only a few thousand are quarantined and 67 people have died. As the virus courses through the world, the story of two outbreaks illustrates a coming problem for countries now grappling with an explosion in cases."

Old 13 March 2020, 01:41 PM   #1779
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A good point if anyone in the home is elderly or in an immunodeficient mode.

Self-isolation/quarantine within the home (for the whole family sharing it) is a key component of protecting them and the neighbors/community as well.

Can’t say how possible that would be - it varies so much per family - one thing is the use of a mask for the infected family member but those aren’t readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great points. My question is all the experts say if one family member gets it, not to share plates utensils. Obviously no one would (should) share unwashed plates, but is that what they mean? Who would think that’s a good idea??

Assume that a modern high temp dishwasher sanitizes everything.

Old 13 March 2020, 01:58 PM   #1780
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingBillionaire View Post
This article compares two different approaches to deal with COVID19: the lockdown approach (Italy) versus the test-and-track approach (S. Korea). The test-and-track approach is much more effective, the article concludes.

But I'm afraid that the effective test-and-track approach is hard to implement in a big country like US. I just hope that our government won't enforce the Italian lockdown approach.
Things in Italy had gone beyond the stage where test and track was a viable model. It was too late for that.

Like you say, test and track may not work in the USA. That is not because the country is big but because the authorities are useless. Test and track can not work where there is no effective testing. Prepare for a lock down.

To those who still feel like travelling, attending large functions and going to the gym, think about what you are doing and the risk that you are exposing yourself and your loved ones and your co workers to. How would you feel if you caught it at the gym and you then when on to infect someone, or multiple people who died as a result? Not great I imagine. I don't think that changing a person's lifestyle for a month or two is too much to ask to minimize the risk of catching this and spreading it to others.
Old 13 March 2020, 02:44 PM   #1781
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Things in Italy had gone beyond the stage where test and track was a viable model. It was too late for that.

Like you say, test and track may not work in the USA. That is not because the country is big but because the authorities are useless. Test and track can not work where there is no effective testing. Prepare for a lock down.

To those who still feel like travelling, attending large functions and going to the gym, think about what you are doing and the risk that you are exposing yourself and your loved ones and your co workers to. How would you feel if you caught it at the gym and you then when on to infect someone, or multiple people who died as a result? Not great I imagine. I don't think that changing a person's lifestyle for a month or two is too much to ask to minimize the risk of catching this and spreading it to others.

I totally agree

Old 13 March 2020, 02:49 PM   #1782
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
The Governor of Michigan just closed all our public schools for the next 3 weeks.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 13 March 2020, 02:59 PM   #1783
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Great points. My question is all the experts say if one family member gets it, not to share plates utensils. Obviously no one would (should) share unwashed plates, but is that what they mean? Who would think that’s a good idea??

Assume that a modern high temp dishwasher sanitizes everything.

I think the answer is so individual, and the risks so varied that ideas you get here are just that ideas - not recommendations.

I might consider disposable versus regular dishes/flatware. The ill person does need to be isolated.

But if that’s impossible then most modern dishwashers have a sanitize cycle. I’d be sure the ill person’s dishes/utensils were washed separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 13 March 2020, 03:45 PM   #1784
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post

There is a running sarcastic "joke" by commentators on many Coronavirus youtube videos that one of the symptoms of Coronavirus is the sudden desire to travel internationally, especially when compared to influenza. It really does seem to be the case..

Flu: EWW, Let's stay away from everybody and not spread this #$% around.

Coronavirus: When is the next flight to XXXXX?? Never been there, seems like a great time to do some travelling or take a cruise!

I kid you not, a person I know decided this was a great time to take his first international cruise. That's right.

He just got back yesterday. When his HR dept found out he traveled overseas, they immediately sent him home and told him not to come back without a negative coronavirus test...

Well surely he was tested upon re-entry into the US, so he could just use that?

Nope. They only tested two passengers who were sick on the ship in the port. They were "negative" so everybody else got off the ship without a test.

Problem now is that he can't get a test from the health department as he is not symptomatic and he can't go back to work until he gets one.

What a mess. Again...he just suddenly thought it would be great to go on a cruise like 12days ago while the pandemic was ramping up..
Old 13 March 2020, 04:01 PM   #1785
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Was wondering if anyone knows if the situation in China is improving?
From official statistics, cases of new infections appear to be under control. It has been less than 50 new infections for the past week.

Lockdown of 900m people for 2 months seems to work.

I hope the lockdown works for the Italians in similar fashion too. Bless them.
Old 13 March 2020, 04:04 PM   #1786
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Re 'Fleetlords' post: This is why epidemics are what they are - because you cannot rely on people to be rational. The one thing you can depend upon is that most people will always do what they (in their infinite wisdom) want to and to hell with everyone else.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 13 March 2020, 05:01 PM   #1787
icok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Richard Mille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
300 strokes every day in the UK. 500 heart attacks. 1000 new cancer diagnoses. Etc etc. This stuff needs to be dealt with and the resources of the health service - money, manpower and beds - are finite. COVID-19 itself is far, far less of a threat to the country than the collateral damage caused by the strain inflicted on the health service (and the economy, but that’s a different discussion).
I dont agree with this. based on the trend tracked in Asian countries and Italy, Covid-19 cases will go up by 20% per day if using the do nothing strategy. assuming the US has 10,000 infected cases as of now, compounding by 20% for 60 days, 0ver 500 million people will be infected, infecting the whole nation in just 60 days. of course, it wont happen coz only 300 millions live in the US. you may argue majority of the infected cases will come out clean in 2 weeks or a month, but there will be permanent damages to lungs, unlike flu that people can come out clean. some recovered cases in HK show permanent scarring in the lungs, losing 20 to 25% of the function.
Old 13 March 2020, 05:21 PM   #1788
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icok View Post
I dont agree with this. based on the trend tracked in Asian countries and Italy, Covid-19 cases will go up by 20% per day if using the do nothing strategy. assuming the US has 10,000 infected cases as of now, compounding by 20% for 60 days, 0ver 500 million people will be infected, infecting the whole nation in just 60 days. of course, it wont happen coz only 300 millions live in the US. you may argue majority of the infected cases will come out clean in 2 weeks or a month, but there will be permanent damages to lungs, unlike flu that people can come out clean. some recovered cases in HK show permanent scarring in the lungs, losing 20 to 25% of the function.
I wasn’t advocating doing nothing and I wasn’t talking about the US. It was a response to a question about why everybody with respiratory symptoms isn’t being tested here and part of the reason is the need to balance the allocation of finite resources, because other serious health conditions unrelated to this virus will continue to afflict people regardless.
Old 13 March 2020, 05:32 PM   #1789
mjr24
Banned

We have a honeymoon planned to Key West from March 28 to April 5.....am I assuming it's probably a bit risky to go?

Who knows what even will be up with commercial air travel by then. Seems the airlines are willing to give a credit for the tickets to be used anytime in the next 12 months.....hotels seems amenable to canceling, too. Thoughts? I mean even if we could go.....you wonder how many places (restaurants, tourist spots, businesses) will be voluntarily closed anyways.
Old 13 March 2020, 05:39 PM   #1790
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

It’s interesting to note the sheer number of “celebrities”, sportspeople and politicians who have been confirmed to be infected. The numbers seem to be disproportionate to the number of confirmed cases in places like the UK and USA. This is further evidence of the extent to which the number of reported cases is a significant under estimate: prominent people have the means to get themselves tested in a way the proles don’t.
Old 13 March 2020, 07:01 PM   #1791
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
I wasn’t advocating doing nothing and I wasn’t talking about the US. It was a response to a question about why everybody with respiratory symptoms isn’t being tested here and part of the reason is the need to balance the allocation of finite resources, because other serious health conditions unrelated to this virus will continue to afflict people regardless.

Just out of interest, is it an us and them scenario again? Arsenal manager and Chelsea player test positive, both at home, no hospitalisation feeling ok. BUT we are not testing people apparently?! So explain how that works? If an MP shows symptoms I bet money they are tested.

Just highlights further inequality and it’s not to do with resources it’s to do with standing.

Old 13 March 2020, 07:07 PM   #1792
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
From official statistics, cases of new infections appear to be under control. It has been less than 50 new infections for the past week.

Lockdown of 900m people for 2 months seems to work.

I hope the lockdown works for the Italians in similar fashion too. Bless them.
Thanks.
Old 13 March 2020, 07:11 PM   #1793
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Just out of interest, is it an us and them scenario again? Arsenal manager and Chelsea player test positive, both at home, no hospitalisation feeling ok. BUT we are not testing people apparently?! So explain how that works? If an MP shows symptoms I bet money they are tested.

Just highlights further inequality and it’s not to do with resources it’s to do with standing.

Moggo, the Arteta and Hudson-Odoi stories are exactly what prompted my comment that sits directly above yours. As it happens, an MP (Nadine Dorries) already tested positive a few days ago!

I may be being too cynical: one explanation is that the nature of professional football is that the people involved are closely exposed to players and staff from all over the world so they are more likely to have come into contact with the virus - which would legitimately trigger a test if they were symptomatic. Also, the tests are conducted under the auspices of Public Health England and I believe all of them are reported via a single lab in Colindale in London. There is no facility for private testing in the UK at the current time.

Yet still, like you I do wonder if some people are more likely to be tested by virtue of who they are. ‘Twas ever thus.
Old 13 March 2020, 07:18 PM   #1794
Moggo
"TRF" Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Moggo, the Arteta and Hudson-Odoi stories are exactly what prompted my comment that sits directly above yours. As it happens, an MP (Nadine Dorries) already tested positive a few days ago!

I may be being too cynical: one explanation is that the nature of professional football is that the people involved are closely exposed to players and staff from all over the world so they are more likely to have come into contact with the virus - which would legitimately trigger a test if they were symptomatic. Also, the tests are conducted under the auspices of Public Health England and I believe all of them are reported via a single lab in Colindale in London. There is no facility for private testing in the UK at the current time.

Yet still, I do wonder if some people are more likely to be tested by virtue of who they are. ‘Twas ever thus.

Agreed on the status issue

Contact doesn’t any longer trigger a test though according to the PM and his advisors yesterday, only if you are bad enough to be hospitalised will you be tested

Also they are saying about 70% of cases present as a common cold, so no fever no persistent cough so we carry on?? Potentially passing it to someone who is more vulnerable?

The government’s message was very misleading.

Being cynical I wonder if not testing everyone with symptoms is not only financial but an issue of standing on the world stage. Less tests, less proved cases we look so much more organised?

Old 13 March 2020, 07:23 PM   #1795
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Contact doesn’t any longer trigger a test though according to the PM and his advisors yesterday, only if you are bad enough to be hospitalised will you be tested

That’s true, but the test results take 2-5 days to be reported so when the individuals mentioned were tested, they may well have met the criteria at the time (contact + symptoms).
Old 13 March 2020, 07:29 PM   #1796
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s true, but the test results take 2-5 days to be reported so when the individuals mentioned were tested, they may well have met the criteria at the time (contact + symptoms).

Sorry to bombard you

NHS 111 says have you been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, how the hell do we now know when we are not testing people?? More confused than ever

Old 13 March 2020, 07:32 PM   #1797
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I can't see the point of testing and I never have.

It's quite clear what one should do when having said symptoms.
Old 13 March 2020, 07:55 PM   #1798
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Was wondering if anyone knows if the situation in China is improving?
It is so much better. Only 13,600 cases remaining; 13,171 in Hubei. Number of remaining cases dropping by over 1000 per day. Even if the official figures are wrong, they are close enough. You would not have the top leadership visiting Hubei if things were not dramatically better.
Old 13 March 2020, 08:00 PM   #1799
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Just found out one of my clients has tested positive,lucky I’ve been working with him on zoom for the last 2 weeks
Old 13 March 2020, 08:04 PM   #1800
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I can't see the point of testing and I never have.

It's quite clear what one should do when having said symptoms.

But how do you determine it from a common cold as many have only experienced mild symptoms, so don’t quarantine and spread to more vulnerable people?

Closed Thread