The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 31 March 2020, 08:23 AM   #4501
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
You are a fabulous man.
Thanks, but not really. I just learned a lot about love and loss in my job. Love really is the most wonderful human quality. And we seem to see the greatest displays of it during hard times.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:31 AM   #4502
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

In this war the soldier, sailor, and aviator are the doctor, nurse and assistants.

The difference is we can usually rotate the troops in and out of the front lines.

This will be the hardest part methinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 31 March 2020, 08:43 AM   #4503
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I agree with you on every point. It does seem that until people started seeing the horrific images and numbers from the hospitals, many didn't take the pandemic seriously.

Regarding the age distribution of victims who die from Covid-19, I rarely, if ever, took any solace when telling a family in the ER that their older loved one had died in comparison to their younger loved one. I learned that love was love. Loss was loss. From a public health standpoint, age at death distributions and percentages can produce economic and productivity statistics. But from an individual standpoint, deep loss is immeasurable regardless of age or prior health.
Perfectly stated. It certainly would not make losing my mom or dad to this any less crushing to know they were in a high-risk group. Again, we can't possibly thank you enough for what you do.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:44 AM   #4504
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Quote:
Thanks, but not really. I just learned a lot about love and loss in my job. Love really is the most wonderful human quality. And we seem to see the greatest displays of it during hard times.
You’re a good man doc
And also a consistent voice of reason and sympathy.
Really have appreciated your insights and opinions.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:44 AM   #4505
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
My dad is 76. In NY. Tested positive. He thinks he’s had it about 2-3 weeks. He does have chronic lung issues. And yet, he’s doing ok. Dr. saw him today, said he looks good, and doesn’t think he’ll need a hospital visit. He told me it’s like a bad cold.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:45 AM   #4506
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
My dad is 76. In NY. Tested positive. He thinks he’s had it about 2-3 weeks. He does have chronic lung issues. And yet, he’s doing ok. Dr. saw him today, said he looks good, and doesn’t think he’ll need a hospital visit.

That is a good sign for your family.
BTW, what is his blood type?
O+ maybe?

Old 31 March 2020, 08:55 AM   #4507
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
O+ maybe?

I honestly don’t know his blood type. I can ask. He seems in good spirits and frankly I’m surprised how well it’s been going for him. I suppose there’s no magic formula for determining who dies or lives.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:08 AM   #4508
77T

Quote:
I honestly don’t know his blood type. I can ask. He seems in good spirits and frankly I’m surprised how well it’s been going for him. I suppose there’s no magic formula for determining who dies or lives.

No magic - but an early Chinese cross reference study by blood type indicated Type A had higher risk of coronavirus becoming Covid-19 and type O had a lower risk.

It’s not peer reviewed yet for accuracy, but could lead to understanding the differences.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v2

Old 31 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #4509
statsman
"TRF" Member

Be careful with that. Some societies place too much emphasis on blood type. It’s almost like astrology.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #4510
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Be careful with that. Some societies place too much emphasis on blood type. It’s almost like astrology.

I’m not vouching for it - nor aiming to bring astrology into the convo

They said it is simply a numbers game that had a relevant correlation.

As a stats guy, let us know what you think about the numbers.

Old 31 March 2020, 10:00 AM   #4511
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I agree with you on every point. It does seem that until people started seeing the horrific images and numbers from the hospitals, many didn't take the pandemic seriously.

Regarding the age distribution of victims who die from Covid-19, I rarely, if ever, took any solace when telling a family in the ER that their older loved one had died in comparison to their younger loved one. I learned that love was love. Loss was loss. From a public health standpoint, age at death distributions and percentages can produce economic and productivity statistics. But from an individual standpoint, deep loss is immeasurable regardless of age or prior health.
I can tell by this and other comments you’ve made here that you are a man of true character and compassion.

I wish we could multiply you by 1,000,000 and spread you across the globe Joey.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:01 AM   #4512
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Fat Lady
Have to be careful interpreting ‘new’ cases as a continued uptick in the rate of spread. We could have a flat curve in terms of the actual total number of cases .... and have an apparent continuous rise in the curve simply because we are testing so many more people and become more aware of the actual numbers. But it doesn’t necessarily mean the overall numbers are still rising.
And it’s skewed because we’ve only been testing those who are symptomatic.
As someone else mentioned, we’d need to be testing virtually everyone, every week to get accurate rates of increase or decrease for that matter.
OR test huge numbers of people randomly to get rates of infection.

Remember, (the same) database can be cherry picked and presented to support almost any argument you want. So we have to be careful interpreting it or making conclusions from it.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:05 AM   #4513
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Plus Masks.

Masks are coming to the general public in a complete reversal of the phony and terrible advice from the WHO (stop listening to them at once) and others.

Widespread use of Masks are an absolute must.

https://www.aei.org/research-product...-to-reopening/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9M6K9vSUM

I had a phone conference today with my doctor about unrelated stuff, but of course this came up and she told me get masks (already did) as soon as you can.

It is vital due to asymptomatic viral shedding and how much #$%$ comes out of our filthy mouths just by speaking. That doesn't just drop to the floor, it floats around and ends up in lodged in your throat and then the invasion of your body begins.
Face masks are ok ...as long as we realize the limitations....

Most of the light face masks that we see people wearing in public are not going to prevent atomised virus from exiting or entering the masks. They are not made of a material to prevent microscopic particulate transmission thru the mask, and they also don’t create a positive seal on the face.

I can see some merit for wearing one as a reminder to maintain space and to prevent touching the nose and mouth directly.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:18 AM   #4514
dimag333
"TRF" Member

starting to see a hint of leveling off
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

steve
Old 31 March 2020, 10:26 AM   #4515
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post

Most of the light face masks that we see people wearing in public are not going to prevent atomised virus from exiting or entering the masks. They are not made of a material to prevent microscopic particulate transmission thru the mask, and they also don’t create a positive seal on the face.

I can see some merit for wearing one as a reminder to maintain space and to prevent touching the nose and mouth directly.
Also, a breathable barrier can reduce the release of larger infectious airborne particles. Any reduction is better than none.

Old 31 March 2020, 10:40 AM   #4516
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
starting to see a hint of leveling off
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

steve

We can only hope. That’s would be a great start towards the end. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 10:56 AM   #4517
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

The primary value to the public of wearing even a basic mask is blocking viral shedding by the infected in various forms such as sneezes and coughs. It blocks the projected distance.

Even without a positive seal against the face, you can see the logic of blocking a sneeze.

There is no magic in the novel coronavirus - it can’t be atomized to pass through a mask differently than other coronaviruses. In fact, there are over 1,000 amino acids already scanned in the genome and each one has an atom of carbon, to which is attached four different atoms or groups of hydrogen atoms.

It’s size and gross atomic weight could be broken but then the surface membrane would no longer be viable and able to attach to a cell.

We don’t have the science reported yet on direct airborne inhalation versus contact transfer from hand to nose, eyes or mouth. But stopping the contamination of surfaces on commonly used objects like doors, counters, plastic packaging, etc would be greatly helped by even a standard mask.

I’m just saying that more nonsymptomatic people wearing masks is a good practice in contagion control.

Old 31 March 2020, 10:56 AM   #4518
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Also, a breathable barrier can reduce the release of larger infectious airborne particles. Any reduction is better than none.

Well said and more succinct...

We were typing at same time...

Old 31 March 2020, 11:09 AM   #4519
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Not sure if this has been posted here yet but 900 NYPD officers tested positive (3 deaths) and 260 FDNY firefighters tested positive.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 31 March 2020, 11:16 AM   #4520
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said and more succinct...

We were typing at same time...
The photo I posted was the least disgusting sneeze pic I could find.
Old 31 March 2020, 11:20 AM   #4521
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted here yet but 900 NYPD officers tested positive (3 deaths) and 260 FDNY firefighters tested positive.
I don’t anyone has. Thank you for positing.

That’s horrible. God speed.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 31 March 2020, 11:29 AM   #4522
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Masks are not important if you are not sick - story has been pushed into media as the masks was short in production/supply and not to create more panic. Regular masks may not be as effective as N95 masks but still it will protect 80% of the virus(if they are flying with water droplets or small particles), which is still LOT compared to not wearing one.

Surgical mask = 80%
N95 mask or 3M 8812 = 96.6%

Old 31 March 2020, 11:33 AM   #4523
77T

Quote:

No, I don’t think anyone noted that yet. The crime rate and fires will still need their attention and we should realize they can’t really use PPE in patrolling and firefighting.

Another frontline impacted by this scourge.

Old 31 March 2020, 11:34 AM   #4524
Griswald
"TRF" Member

Icon15

Quote:
thanks, but not really. I just learned a lot about love and loss in my job. Love really is the most wonderful human quality. And we seem to see the greatest displays of it during hard times.
this
Old 31 March 2020, 11:36 AM   #4525
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Masks are not important if you are not sick - story has been pushed into media as the masks was short in production/supply and not to create more panic. Regular masks may not be as effective as N95 masks but still it will protect 80% of the virus(if they are flying with water droplets or small particles), which is still LOT compared to not wearing one.
Are you suggesting that masks are not important if you're not sick? AFAIK, N95 masks are also used to prevent you from breathing IN the particles from COVID-19...not to mention you could be asymptomatic and walking around producing the airborne particles. As djgallo mentioned though, it's important for you to have a good seal on the face to truly be protected.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:03 PM   #4526
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Quote:
Love really is the most wonderful human quality. And we seem to see the greatest displays of it during hard times.
Two of the most insightful and undeniable true posts shared in this thread. Could not agree more with these.

I've spent a lot of time (as a visitor) in hospitals the past few year due to very close/immediate family members with ailing health issues. Some of the worst moments of my life have been spent there waiting, thinking, listening. At the same time, it's also been a place where I've seen such an enormous amount of love and support from extended family and friends and church community. Some of these awful experiences of dealing with uncertainty and loss have really helped reveal my real friends and support system. They respect the space you need in rough times (we all deal with stress and grief differently) but make sure you know they are there in your corner ready to anything for you. Apologies for the tangential rambling!
Old 31 March 2020, 12:06 PM   #4527
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
O+ maybe?

Quote:
No magic - but an early Chinese cross reference study by blood type indicated Type A had higher risk of coronavirus becoming Covid-19 and type O had a lower risk.

It’s not peer reviewed yet for accuracy, but could lead to understanding the differences.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v2

Quote:
I’m not vouching for it - nor aiming to bring astrology into the convo

They said it is simply a numbers game that had a relevant correlation.

As a stats guy, let us know what you think about the numbers.

Paul: I agree that the discussion about possible blood type susceptibility is quite interesting and bears more quantification and qualification.

CDC has listed the preprint study with statement provided by the study introduction: "People with blood group A may have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O may have a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups."

The preprint study is accessed through CDC that links directly to:
"Relationship between the ABO Blood Group and the COVID-19 Susceptibility"
............https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v2
............J Zhao et al, MedRXIV, March 16, 2020 (Posted: Mar-16-2020 9AM)

The Abstract authors make it clear:

This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."

The pdf file provides the study in entirety. The study process and clinical observations are provided there.

In my honest opinion, in your original post there was no assumption made about an absolute finding that one blood type has more susceptibility over another that would lead any reasonable person to be misled about your comment in a collegial discussion (even backed up by your own well stated caveat).

The preprint study was already presented in full public view, per CDC who posted it on their website (March 16, 2020).

Also, it is obviously out in medical circle discussions, evidenced by at least one example provided by the Texas doctor (March 25, 2020) that I found, who was forthright about making changes in his practice and seeking current information and trends which could protect and guide his patients. In his radio interview on March 25, 2020, he mentioned Type A as well.
Radio interview:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=4383

Its evident that there is plenty of conversation about blood type, and about genetics as well; all of which future studies are bound to be evaluated by scientific research with conclusions backed by clinical examination.

No worries. Take care.

Cheers,
Old 31 March 2020, 12:34 PM   #4528
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Almost everyone in Hong Kong (pop. 7.4 million) wears a mask. We're on the doorstep of Mainland China, with a very high population density, and since this all started we have had 682 cases reported (the vast majority imported by folks returning from overseas/mainland China) and only four deaths. I'll keep wearing my mask when I go to the store at least.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:46 PM   #4529
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My dad is 76. In NY. Tested positive. He thinks he’s had it about 2-3 weeks. He does have chronic lung issues. And yet, he’s doing ok. Dr. saw him today, said he looks good, and doesn’t think he’ll need a hospital visit. He told me it’s like a bad cold.
So thankful to hear stories like this. Hoping your dad continues to do well.
Old 31 March 2020, 01:14 PM   #4530
RWH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Our police officers are definitely largely affected. I have many friends that are in NYPD and it's rather scary for all of them but nonetheless they show up to their jobs. I know of one that in his apartment he now sleeps in the living room in order to try and keep the rest of his family safe because he has no clue if he catches the virus. They put a curtain to separate the living room
Closed Thread