The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2018, 11:13 PM   #31
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I had a 116520 and sold it - I miss the fact that its worth a lot more now then when I sold it rather then the watch itself.
kwingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #32
hitman23
"TRF" Member

I do remember when I first got into Rolex that the major selling point was the 4130 movement in the Daytona 116520. It was described as one of the best chrono movements in the watch industry and probably rolex's best inhouse product. I believe at that point in time you could say the Daytona was the pinnacle ss watch for a rolex enthusiast. But now, it's really just hype/artificial scarcity around the watch that is pushing the market.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:38 PM   #33
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One way to end the argument is for Rolex to put the Daytona in a 45mm case. That way, in terms of size, it would be the pinnacle.

Otherwise, the Tudor Chrono’s keep running time as well as elapsed time just as good as a Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:46 PM   #34
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
I think the "pinnacle" of the Rolex line is a very subjective topic. What is indisputable is that demand for the Daytona is incessant and supply is artificially restricted. Whenever people want something they can't have, they want it that much more. "Daytonamania" is a self-perpetuating storm that will only be stemmed by a decease in demand or an increase in supply, neither of which I see happening soon.

None of this has anything to do with whether the Daytona is a great watch (which it is).
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #35
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrii_ View Post
Skymaster is so scarce because it doesn't exist

Your ad is lying
Wonder what a Skymaster would look like? Basically a Skydweller with a ceramic bezel. Could work..
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:13 AM   #36
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
However the high resale starts to draw it into the sphere of the really big chrono boys, like the Lange 1815 chrono
If you have a lead on an 1815 Chrono for $18k - let me know ASAP!

I agree with others that it's difficult to establish any kind of hierarchy in the Rolex lineup (outside of simply which costs more than others). However, it cannot be denied that when it comes to the movement, the heartbeat and engine of every watch, the 4130 is something special.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:14 AM   #37
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I've never wanted a Daytona, just don't like the look of them - actually I find that with most of the 'in demand' hyped models. I think the hype overshadows the intrinsic quality of the watches a bit.

I used to like the sports models the most, but now I'm much more interested in the obtainable DJ and DD models.

Sometimes it seems like people are merely using the Rolex SS sports models as a tool to signify their high place on a dominance hierarchy amongst other Rolex buyers. It's pretty boring actually. No offence to anyone there, just a thought.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:17 AM   #38
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
it is a grail for me. it is the SS model i most lust after. it has a panache that no other sport model has, imo.

that being said, the pinnacle of the SS sport models is the Submariner, objectively. it is the model with the most history and thus the most important and iconic watch the brand has ever produced. you can certainly make the argument it is the most iconic watch ever made by anyone.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #39
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Any hierarchy is an illusionary construct. The only "crown" is the Rolex trademark, and all Rolex wear them. The Daytona is the pinnacle of nothing, it's just another Rolex.

Frankly, I find the desire of many to try and determine, establish, or lobby for what is the "best" model (which suggests there is some sort of objective hierarchy) pretty strange. Why, and why would anyone care?

Well said.

The notion of a best or “pinnacle” Rolex is about a silly as an “entry level” Rolex. They are each intended for different purposes and/or different tastes. The Daytona is a great watch, but I found it wasn’t for me because I don’t like watches with complications and I prefer a clean, simple dial.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:45 AM   #40
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

To the op - I think the preponderance so far feel that it’s not.

You probably have one and feel good about it. That’s cool. I have two and don’t wear them because I like my subs and gmt more. Sadly, they sit in the safety deposit box. Cool watches. Nice pieces. Quintessential Rolex and lots of historical significance. But not the top of anything - much less the crown itself.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 01:18 AM   #41
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
It's certainly the hardest SS to obtain. That doesn't make it the pinnacle (or grail) at least for me. Great watch none the less.
As well as the SS Sky D. But yes I agree with this.

If I had to guess, and this is just my opinion of what other people’s opinions likely are, most would say the daydate is the “pinnacle” Rolex to own.

I think it’s more identifiable as a Rolex, and I think it’s the one most commonly associated with the highest levels of achievement.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 01:28 AM   #42
2muchtimeonmyhands
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When I first started getting into watches in my teens, the 16520 stood out from everything else I saw. I wanted one based purely on looks alone. I didn't know anything about Paul Newman, movements, chronographs, scarcity or retention values.
Visually it looks very different from other Rolex models. That might be why some people lust after it and others don't get the appeal at all
2muchtimeonmyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 02:16 AM   #43
TrajanACC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I happen to love it, and it's certainly my grail at least as far as SS Rolexes go. But that's a subjective opinion, like anybody else's. Impossible to objectively say what is the best watch, because everyone is going to have a different opinion.

One objective measurement would be the delta between market value and MSRP, which generally has been greater than for any other Rolex model. This is obviously based on limited supply but also because of the insane demand for the watch, which does tell you something.

Not saying this is the only way to "rank" watches, if that is even possible, but it is one significant factor.
TrajanACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 02:19 AM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:30 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

For sure / love the sub dial and multiple crown look
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 02:32 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrii_ View Post
Skymaster is so scarce because it doesn't exist

Your ad is lying
Sky-master actually sounds better than Sky-dweller to me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
If you have a lead on an 1815 Chrono for $18k - let me know ASAP!

I agree with others that it's difficult to establish any kind of hierarchy in the Rolex lineup (outside of simply which costs more than others). However, it cannot be denied that when it comes to the movement, the heartbeat and engine of every watch, the 4130 is something special.
That's far too low for a D500 in UK, the price delta is about Ł8-10K so breachable, hence starting to bat in the same league.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 02:43 AM   #48
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
The Daytona is the most important sports Rolex and it isn’t even close. It may not be your favorite model and you may not even like it but this is pretty much indisputable. People who otherwise would have little to no interest in Rolex still appreciate the Daytona, whether modern or vintage.

The Sub and GMT are important, iconic watches as well but none have the aura of a steel Daytona.

As for the pinnacle of Rolex overall, it would have to be the Day-Date. They really nailed the design of this watch.
Old 11 April 2018, 03:16 AM   #49
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I think its hype plain and simple. 4 years ago on this forum it was a lady's watch, too small, lots of threads pining for the 42mm Daytona. Now you never hear that. It was a dog in the Rolex lineup until Newman made it famous. Hype plain and simple. Just buy what you love and enjoy. Just as simple.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 03:33 AM   #50
Khans14
"TRF" Member

It is just people wanting what they cannot have right now. I would love to see a statistic on how many Daytona owners have ever used its timing function after the first month they owned the watch. lol

Mark my words..... in about ten years you will have everyone scrambling to find a vintage Air King. Not a popular model today and they apparently do not sell that many.... just like the Daytona was when Newman started wearing his back in the day.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #51
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

If I had to guess, and this is just my opinion of what other people’s opinions likely are, most would say the daydate is the “pinnacle” Rolex to own.

I think it’s more identifiable as a Rolex, and I think it’s the one most commonly associated with the highest levels of achievement.
This pretty much sums it up... great post and accurate even when referencing Rolex’s own advertising.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #52
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I think it’s like the weather in the southern part of the state for which there is a race named for the city it is held at, from which the reference was named.

On one side of the street, it may be sunny.
On the other side of the street, it may be raining.
All depends on which side of the street you are standing.
.......and as quickly as just a few minutes, it can all change.

Basically, it’s all perspective.
that said I prefer the submariner...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 04:28 AM   #53
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
It's an awesome watch but I have my Speedy so my chronograph is taken care of. It's just too much of a hassle to get one and the cost is crazy.

Also, the Daytona is one of those watches that just stands out. My analogy is that it is the richer man's Sub (not talking about true enthusiasts).

Who knows what will happen in the future but there is a long list of watches before the Daytona that I'd pick up. Also, 40mm for a Chrono is a tad small, if you care about legibility.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:01 AM   #54
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Not to me. Owned several and always a quick flip. Like the looks of them and there are some beautiful models but just not for me.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #55
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Hi Guys, obviously like most of you I am a pretty keen Rolex enthusiast, and as we all know the current state of play with trying to obtain any stainless Steele sports model from an AD is frustrating to say the least. But there is one model that seems to far outweigh the rest as far as closed waiting lists and ott resale prices and that model is the ceramic Daytona. So my question is, is this accolade justified? I mean, is this your grail ss pro sport model? If so why? And if not what model is? The sea-dweller 126600 will probably be a shorter run so rarer, the sky dweller is by far the most complicated Rolex so should this not take the crown? Just food for thought..
My grail was the SS SubC Date LN. It had nothing to do with demand, waitlists, production numbers, or what others thought of it. It was my grail because I liked it better than any other watch on the market. Still do.

The Daytona is a fine watch, but it doesn't do much for me. Functionally, I find it deficient for my needs: I have limited use for a chronograph, and zero use for a tachymetre scale. What I do need is a date feature, and also find a sport bezel and Glidelock very useful. As such, the Daytona has a lot of what I don't need, and is missing a lot of what I do need. No watch with that description can qualify as the pinnacle of anything in my book.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 06:36 AM   #56
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I had a 116520 and sold it - I miss the fact that its worth a lot more now then when I sold it rather then the watch itself.
I had first a 16520 then two 116520’s between 2000-2008. I was tired of them and wanted funds to buy something else. I would like to try a ceramic but I wouldn’t call it a grail.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 06:43 AM   #57
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
My grail was the SS SubC Date LN. It had nothing to do with demand, waitlists, production numbers, or what others thought of it. It was my grail because I liked it better than any other watch on the market. Still do.

The Daytona is a fine watch, but it doesn't do much for me. Functionally, I find it deficient for my needs: I have limited use for a chronograph, and zero use for a tachymetre scale. What I do need is a date feature, and also find a sport bezel and Glidelock very useful. As such, the Daytona has a lot of what I don't need, and is missing a lot of what I do need. No watch with that description can qualify as the pinnacle of anything in my book.
You make excellent, logical points.

Aside from hype, this just goes to show that "grail" pieces for some people purely come down to the aesthetics and not necessarily its specific complications/functionality. I'd consider the Daytona C one of my "grail" pieces, at least when it comes to Rolex sport watches. If I can pick one of these up after getting a GMT, I think I'll be good in the Rolex professional line for awhile. Personally, I travel a lot and have no real need for the chronograph or tachymetre features. The GMT design is a much better fit for my day to day needs (a PP with the time travel complication would be nice too). That being said, I think the white Daytona is a beautiful watch that I've been craving to add to my collection.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #58
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Yes, it is the pinnacle.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 07:15 AM   #59
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Definitly the modern ss sportmodel with the longest waitinglist. But for me, not my ss grail. I could name a few I would rather have.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 07:59 AM   #60
Dyim
"TRF" Member

History, hype, and a greatly mismatched supply and demand created all this IMO.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote