The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 February 2020, 12:09 AM   #331
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-case-n1143996

Problem is when one individual can make a mistake (like refusing to test a patient) and the consequence is contagion spreads. Hopefully this case was contained - but next case may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 28 February 2020, 12:22 AM   #332
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Please explain?
Please explain what? That the media takes every opportunity it gets to destroy the economy? Apparently you’ve never been to Florida or the southeast during hurricane season. Every time a storm even thinks of hitting the United States the media takes the time to scare the living crap out of everybody and business comes to halt sometimes for an entire month depending on how slow moving the storm is. Now they finally have a “crisis” that could conceivably hit the entire country and you think they won’t take advantage of that? Try turning on the news right now and see what the main stream media is doing. Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media. More people will probably get struck by lightning this week in the US then have this virus yet they have made it sound like the world is coming to an end. Read this very thread. Please explain????? Good grief. Sorry. Rant over.

The media is poison.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 12:42 AM   #333
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Please explain what? That the media takes every opportunity it gets to destroy the economy? Apparently you’ve never been to Florida or the southeast during hurricane season. Every time a storm even thinks of hitting the United States the media takes the time to scare the living crap out of everybody and business comes to halt sometimes for an entire month depending on how slow moving the storm is. Now they finally have a “crisis” that could conceivably hit the entire country and you think they won’t take advantage of that? Try turning on the news right now and see what the main stream media is doing. Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media. More people will probably get struck by lightning this week in the US then have this virus yet they have made it sound like the world is coming to an end. Read this very thread. Please explain????? Good grief. Sorry. Rant over.

The media is poison.
I am not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, other than to say that if you think the "market" is being lead around by the nose by the "media", you are very mistaken. There are real earnings hits going on right now, and that has nothing to do with what is being reported on the news. Airlines canceling tons of flights -- you think they are doing that because of what was reported on CNN? Japan just canceled school for all children for at least the next month. Is that because of what was on MSNBC last night? It goes on and on. The market is focused on earnings, and how this will impact those earnings, nothing more.

To paraphrase something I am sure you are familiar with -- the market does not care about your feelings on the media.
Old 28 February 2020, 12:42 AM   #334
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Today:

-Japanese PM has asked all schools to close for a month

-A woman in Japan has tested positive for a second time after recovering from her first illness:

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Philip Tierno Jr., Professor of Microbiology and Pathology at NYU School of Medicine.

Tierno said much remains unknown about the virus. “I’m not certain that this is not biphasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease appears to go away before recurring.

-The DOW dropped 500 points at open
Old 28 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #335
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I am not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, other than to say that if you think the "market" is being lead around by the nose by the "media", you are very mistaken. There are real earnings hits going on right now, and that has nothing to do with what is being reported on the news. Airlines canceling tons of flights -- you think they are doing that because of what was reported on CNN? Japan just canceled school for all children for at least the next month. Is that because of what was on MSNBC last night? It goes on and on. The market is focused on earnings, and how this will impact those earnings, nothing more.

To paraphrase something I am sure you are familiar with -- the market does not care about your feelings on the media.
All those reactions are happening precisely because of what’s happening on the news. Exactly that. It always does. We can agree to disagree. That doesn’t make you right.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 12:55 AM   #336
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
All those reactions are happening precisely because of what’s happening on the news. Exactly that. It always does. We can agree to disagree. That doesn’t make you right.

This isn’t a situation where your beliefs override the facts of how the stock market works. Your beliefs are incorrect, inaccurate, and seemingly uninformed. I’m sure it doesn’t feel that way, as you’ve learned this way of thinking somewhere. It’s always hard to be the misinformed party regardless of subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 28 February 2020, 01:11 AM   #337
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
This isn’t a situation where your beliefs override the facts of how the stock market works. Your beliefs are incorrect, inaccurate, and seemingly uninformed. I’m sure it doesn’t feel that way, as you’ve learned this way of thinking somewhere. It’s always hard to be the misinformed party regardless of subject

See I think you’re 100% wrong. This is how it always happens. We have some sort of event, the media hypes it up and business suffers. Insulting me personally is not going to change that fact.

You being from New England I think he would understand this because of the way snowstorms are handled now. Perhaps you’re young and think the way snowstorms are reported today is the exact same way they always have been. Well since I grew up in Maine I can tell you it’s not. It’s hilarious watching the panic stricken reporters flip out every times 6 inches of snow comes and they act like it’s the end of the world. This affects business significantly. The same thing happens in Florida with hurricanes every single time. Did I mention it happens every single time? So insults about ignorance of the stock markets is not going to help your case. I’ve developed my opinions through observation. Many years of it. The stock market reacts to media hype plain and simple. I’m sure it’s based off of what they think is going to happen businesswise of coarse but regardless it always starts with a news report.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #338
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The media is poison.
Really, the media takes every opportunity? To destroy the economy?? Don't think so...

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better being safe than sorry. It it weren't for the news, I'd have no idea. Ignorance is bliss, right?
Old 28 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #339
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Really, the media takes every opportunity? To destroy the economy?? Don't think so...

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better safe than sorry.
Yeah well get back to me after about 20 years of it. Actually try running a business and get back to me after two years of it. being informed of the hurricanes movement is very helpful, useful and important. 24 seven media coverage exaggerating the living crap out of the situation and causing panic is not.

Now we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Information good! Hype bad! Pretty simple.

I just noticed you’re from Marietta Georgia. At least that’s what your Avatar says. I absolutely love the way Atlanta reacts for literally 1/4 inch of snow. You folks shut the entire city down. I can’t even contemplate the millions of dollars of lost business revenue when that happens. Another great example of how media can take something very small and make it very large.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 01:27 AM   #340
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media.
I'm sorry I was trying to read what you wrote and have a conversation.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 28 February 2020, 01:28 AM   #341
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
This thread needs some love, my grand doggies......

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Oscar and Frankie are chillin...
Old 28 February 2020, 01:28 AM   #342
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I'm sorry I was trying to read what you wrote and have a conversation.

Good luck.
No worries. Every so often I forget how smart you are. I apologize.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 01:35 AM   #343
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
See I think you’re 100% wrong. This is how it always happens. We have some sort of event, the media hypes it up and business suffers. Insulting me personally is not going to change that fact.

You being from New England I think he would understand this because of the way snowstorms are handled now. Perhaps you’re young and think the way snowstorms are reported today is the exact same way they always have been. Well since I grew up in Maine I can tell you it’s not. It’s hilarious watching the panic stricken reporters flip out every times 6 inches of snow comes and they act like it’s the end of the world. This affects business significantly. The same thing happens in Florida with hurricanes every single time. Did I mention it happens every single time? So insults about ignorance of the stock markets is not going to help your case. I’ve developed my opinions through observation. Many years of it. The stock market reacts to media hype plain and simple. I’m sure it’s based off of what they think is going to happen businesswise of coarse but regardless it always starts with a news report.

It seems to be a modern phenomenon where a person with misinformation believes they’re being insulted when in fact they’re only being corrected. Trying to help you because you’re statements are non-factual, opinion, based on your own unique life experience. You’re not incorrect about the snowstorms and hurricanes, however the way you made the parallel to the media / market is factually not correct.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 28 February 2020, 01:36 AM   #344
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just noticed you’re from Marietta Georgia. At least that’s what your Avatar says. I absolutely love the way Atlanta reacts for literally 1/4 inch of snow. You folks shut the entire city down. I can’t even contemplate the millions of dollars of lost business revenue when that happens. Another great example of how media can take something very small and make it very large.
I from NY state, and live in Marietta and on the Georgia coast... I still don't agree with you on the news being over hyped. A snowpocalypse in Atlanta (even if only an inch of snow) is a very different thing to a snow storm up north. One year, a storm hit and people were stuck for well over 24 hours in their car on the highway...The news and/or state govt. was blamed for not preparing people for this one... so the next one gets the coverage, as it should. I was lucky that when that hit, I left early from work and it took 1.5 hours to get home, which is normally a 15 minute drive for me. My wife not so lucky. So I'm glad you love the way Atlanat works... you are one of those that is so set in your ways, that nobody else can be right... OK fine...

so...

Quote:

Now we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Indeed!~
Old 28 February 2020, 01:40 AM   #345
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Looks like Watches and Wonders, formerly SIHH has just been cancelled. I’m not sure if this has been posted here yet or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...o-coronavirus/

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 28 February 2020, 01:41 AM   #346
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post

Amen brother.
Old 28 February 2020, 01:41 AM   #347
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Looks like watches and wonders, formerly SIHH has just been cancelled. I’m not sure if this has been posted here yet or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...o-coronavirus/
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727666

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727645
Old 28 February 2020, 01:41 AM   #348
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I from NY state, and live in Marietta and on the Georgia coast... I still don't agree with you on the news being over hyped. A snowpocalypse in Atlanta (even if only an inch of snow) is a very different thing to a snow storm up north. One year, a storm hit and people were stuck for well over 24 hours in their car on the highway...The news and/or state govt. was blamed for not preparing people for this one... so the next one gets the coverage, as it should. I was lucky that when that hit, I left early from work and it took 1.5 hours to get home, which is normally a 15 minute drive for me. My wife not so lucky. So I'm glad you love the way Atlanat works... you are one of those that is so set in your ways, that nobody else can be right... OK fine...

so...

Indeed!~
That was a massive ice storm in Atlanta you are referring to that would also shut down any northern city. I was a part of that. Good try though.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 01:42 AM   #349
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Thanks Jason, I hadn’t seen those yet.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 28 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #350
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
It seems to be a modern phenomenon where a person with misinformation believes they’re being insulted when in fact they’re only being corrected. Trying to help you because you’re statements are non-factual, opinion, based on your own unique life experience. You’re not incorrect about the snowstorms and hurricanes, however the way you made the parallel to the media / market is factually not correct.

I appreciate your statements but I disagree I am misinformed. Flights are being canceled and businesses shut down because of the media hype plain and simple. If you disagree with me that’s fine. There is no reason at this point in time for any business to be affected in the United States other than some shipping difficulties we might have with China. Those same difficulties were happening two weeks ago yet the stock market didn’t crash then. Why? I’ll tell you why because the United States media had not hyped it up yet.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #351
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Thanks Jason, I hadn’t seen those yet.
Old 28 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #352
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That was a massive ice storm in Atlanta you are referring to that would also shut down any northern city. I was a part of that. Good try though.
And what's your point with this, regarding hyped news trying to destroy the economy? In this case the news snd/or state govt. didn't do enough and people were stranded... doesn't matter if it was an ice storm, snow storm, hurricane, virus outbreaks, declining stocks. The news is to inform, and if you think it's hyped, it's a matter of perception. News cycles run as long as there is relevant news to report. Don't watch it 24/7 if you choose not to.

Always right you have to be, get the last word in type. Love it.
Old 28 February 2020, 02:14 AM   #353
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better being safe than sorry. It it weren't for the news, I'd have no idea. Ignorance is bliss, right?
It’s clear to me that the media, most of it, would love to see the economy crash in the next few months. They have been hoping for it the last few years.
Old 28 February 2020, 02:16 AM   #354
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
This thread needs some love, my grand doggies......

Attachment 1113477

Oscar and Frankie are chillin...
Always love your style.

Always.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 28 February 2020, 02:18 AM   #355
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Keep downplaying this virus and the exact thing will happen to the US like how the Chinese government tried to downplay it.

The media can overhype anything but in this case safer is better
Old 28 February 2020, 02:20 AM   #356
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Scientist here (but not a virologist, so YMMV).

H1N1 refers to hemagglutinin type 1 and neuraminidase type 1. It is a classification system, derived from proteins found on the specific virus strains. Hemagglutinin typically will help binding to a host cell, and neuraminidase will regulate the viral release from host cell.

The coronaviruses are a little different given that they typically originate from an animal source, and "novel" coronaviruses have never been detected in humans before. This typically means a novel exposure method or, more commonly, the mutation of a strain that increases properties regulating the infection probability of humans.

This coronavirus is specifically scary because 1) there is no first-line defense (i.e. vaccines), meaning that 2) more people are vulnerable, and this is bad because 3) the symptoms appear to be quite severe, and respiratory in nature, which can lead to death.

While influenza kills tens of thousands of people a year, that is expected so it isn't news. They are also typically vulnerable populations, and if nothing else there are vaccines to help minimize risk and economic vulnerability.

With a novel virus like this, there are no defenses so everyone is vulnerable, and the only way to contain an outbreak is to shut everything down. If that happens in a first-world economy, the economic outlook may trickle and be severe. Fear of the latter is what we're seeing now in the markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvapor View Post
Very informative, thank you.

I do have 1 question though. You mentioned that coronavirus are novel, therefore there is no front line defense, as in vaccines. When H1N1 appeared initially, there was no vaccine for it, a vaccine wss only created afterwards. Are we not in the same situation as the pandemic H1N1 then in 2009 ?
I'm not a public health expert, virologist, or MD specializing in this area, but my presumption is that this novel coronavirus is particularly nasty in the severity of the respiratory symptoms it can produce. The doctors involved in its initial discovery even died from it. And they were not "old", or a particularly vulnerable population outside of their occupational risk.

There is probably good answers here, but I found this quick tid-bit with a quick google from a scientific study looking at another coronavirus strain and H1N1 in the scope of diabetes, which may be completely coincidental but also interesting given the respiratory features of this particular novel strain.

Quote:
Compared to MERS-CoV patients, subjects with H1N1 exhibited 3-fold lower frequency of cardiovascular diseases
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5206772/

It will take at least a year to get a vaccine to market, as well. So spread is inevitable.
Old 28 February 2020, 02:21 AM   #357
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And what's your point with this, regarding hyped news trying to destroy the economy? In this case the news snd/or state govt. didn't do enough and people were stranded... doesn't matter if it was an ice storm, snow storm, hurricane, declining stocks. The news is to inform, and if you think it's hyped, it's a matter of perception. News cycles run as long as there is relevant news to report. Don't watch it 24/7 if you choose not to.

Always right you have to be, get the last word in type. Love it.
I agree with you. However I don’t watch the news 24/7 for all the reasons I’ve been stating. I have been financially affected every single hurricane season for the last five seasons or so because it keeps getting worse every year. If you choose to ignore that I have zero problems with that. But that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. I guarantee the media will hype this up and try to crash the economy. That’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. Meanwhile what’s important is the people who are being affected by this now.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #358
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Keep downplaying this virus and the exact thing will happen to the US like how the Chinese government tried to downplay it.
I appreciate you making my point for me. Do you work in the media? :-)

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #359
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
I appreciate you making my point for me. Do you work in the media? :-)
Nope and that shows how biased you are making assumptions like that. Feel free to keep your head in the sand
Old 28 February 2020, 02:30 AM   #360
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Always love your style.

Always.
Right back at ya, Seth.
Closed Thread