The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 May 2018, 05:53 AM   #31
Fisi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonbuddy View Post
That much i can gather but I dont really have choice. Stevenage has no AD and without a car traveling to the closest AD isn't trivial. London is easy and cheap by train. Just want to wait-list for a Sub ND.
I've had a nightmare of a time just getting on a list for a Sub ND. 1/15ish ADs that I've tried so far.. and all were visited in person (some on multiple occasions).

Do share news of any success on that front.
Fisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 05:59 AM   #32
Angelis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Coke
I've visited virtually all of the London AD's in the last 3 months. First for a Daytona and then for a SubC.

If I wrote what I think about most of them, I would get banned from this forum for use of bad language!!!

Waste of time even if you have money burning in your pocket. Unless you play the AD game of buying their other none SS stuff.

In the end I purchased 3 older Rolex's in the last 7 weeks and quite happy with them. So no longer need to take the crap the AD's chuck out verbally.
Old 18 May 2018, 06:08 AM   #33
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Seems like everyone here is relatively local. Where is everyone from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:19 AM   #34
Angelis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Seems like everyone here is relatively local. Where is everyone from?
East London/Essex border

Us Londoners should meet up and compare notes
Old 18 May 2018, 06:27 AM   #35
Soonbuddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I can't quote or directly reply to posts on this thread without being told i need mod approval. I've no idea whats going on.

Thanks Tyler for the advice. I put on my thickest skin and brave the london ADs soon.

I jsut wanna try the AD route since it'll be my first >5000 GBP purchase. Also don't want to perpetuate the unhealthy grey market for rolex. Honestly if I can't get a sub i'll just get a Fifty Fathoms. Sub's great but the Fifty Fathoms is something special.
Soonbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:30 AM   #36
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
If you are in Milton Keynes then Fraser Hart is your nearest AD, Goldsmiths in Milton Keynes do not stock rolex, there is also an independent jeweller in Banbury that stocks rolex its called Michael Jones.
Ah yep your correct its Goldsmiths who I'm dealing with for the Tudor BB GMT.
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:30 AM   #37
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Unless you've got a car that does about 10mpg, it's not going to cost £13 to drive from MK to Bedford or Banbury from MK...!!
Haha about 18mpg so not far off
Old 18 May 2018, 06:31 AM   #38
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
East London/Essex border

Us Londoners should meet up and compare notes
See I'm a Northerner who lives in MK but spends a lot of time in East London (West Ham fan)
Old 18 May 2018, 06:46 AM   #39
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
DM Robinson seems to be pretty good for a first time buyer after a ND sub. None of them would be able to provide something like a daytona though. Wempe and Pragnell are good too.

There is a big big difference between the big chains and the small AD's. Especially in London. Its going to be easier outside the city though.

Yep DMR were great to me when i got my BLNR with no purchasing history. Even threw a Rolex umbrella in and an invite to a swanky Rolex event with free food and drinks!
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:50 AM   #40
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjb88 View Post
See I'm a Northerner who lives in MK but spends a lot of time in East London (West Ham fan)
Bloody 'ell.....you drew all the short straws there

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:52 AM   #41
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha yep, although have spent a lot more time in the Olympic Stadium in Rome last 2 seasons supporting Lazio than in the Olympic Stadium in London.
Old 23 June 2018, 06:25 AM   #42
Soonbuddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisi View Post
I've had a nightmare of a time just getting on a list for a Sub ND. 1/15ish ADs that I've tried so far.. and all were visited in person (some on multiple occasions).

Do share news of any success on that front.
Tried a few London ADs today, Wempe, David Robinson and Asprey. David Robinson said both the black Sub lists are closed, Wempe and Asprey said they don't have any lists for the sub. Maybe the ADs misunderstood me because I asked for the sub when I really meant the Sub ND as its more commonly referred to. I'll try against maybe next week and be more specific.

Overall, pretty normal day looking for a 114060 in central london. The salesman in Asprey recommended I go outside london. I almost broke a smile at his candor.
Soonbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 07:47 PM   #43
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

The transience of sales staff at the ADs in London makes it diffiult to establish a relationship. The city is dynamic which means that you may meet your salesperson for the first time but you won't be able to find them in the same store again weeks and months on because they've moved on. I can count in one hand the very few salespeople that are still working in the same store over the years.

Even if you're a big spender in London you'll need to choose your salesperson wisely and make the most of the relationship while they're there. However some stores will have a history of your transactions so that means your relationship remains with the store even after your salesperson has moved on as detached as it sounds.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 07:56 PM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tried a few London ADs today, Wempe, David Robinson and Asprey. David Robinson said both the black Sub lists are closed, Wempe and Asprey said they don't have any lists for the sub. Maybe the ADs misunderstood me because I asked for the sub when I really meant the Sub ND as its more commonly referred to. I'll try against maybe next week and be more specific.

Overall, pretty normal day looking for a 114060 in central london. The salesman in Asprey recommended I go outside london. I almost broke a smile at his candor.
Wempe does not do waitlists for anything. You need a relationship there and they need to know you well. Even without an extensive purchase history they will help you but you need to drop in frequently and make yourself known . Every single hard to get watch i have came from them and i didn't wait at all.

If they determine you are a genuine watch enthusiast that goes a long way. I was told specifically they use informal chats when customers are in there to screen people, so the more you are in there they more it helps you. Plus they love to talk watches there so its much different to the big chain AD's.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 08:31 PM   #45
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Great story
I just started at a new Ad
Great service when collecting my GMT
Showing pics of my other pieces to asartain I am an enthusiast
No problems should I want a sport piece n the future
My GMT was sized on siite
but stickers left on as they know " it's a ritual with people like us,, lol
I now truly believe that once the Ad is aware your a enthusiast then the gate opens
and " normal " rules don't apply In my experience
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 08:45 PM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Great story
I just started at a new Ad
Great service when collecting my GMT
Showing pics of my other pieces to asartain I am an enthusiast
No problems should I want a sport piece n the future
My GMT was sized on siite
but stickers left on as they know " it's a ritual with people like us,, lol
I now truly believe that once the Ad is aware your a enthusiast then the gate opens
and " normal " rules don't apply In my experience
It's the same at restaurants with waiting lists. I had a great dinner at The Ledbury, booked over a month in advance, and we had such a great time with the manager and staff, particularly talking about football and other Michelin restaurants, that we not only got a free dessert but I also got the manager's card and he asked me to call him next time so I don't have to go thru the wait list.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 09:34 PM   #47
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjb88 View Post

You should try the Leeds boutique. Cannot speak highly enough of the staff at Preston’s. Probably because they are a family owned business I think, service is impeccable. I think they have Guildford as well.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 02:45 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was the opposite for a time, I couldn't get tickets to go see Man United so I went often over to West Ham, but they were some great days with Di Canio, Cole, Lampard and terrible, delicious burgers.
Old 24 June 2018, 03:30 AM   #49
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

At least you were able to 'start' a relationship! Good stuff!

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #50
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I was the opposite for a time, I couldn't get tickets to go see Man United so I went often over to West Ham, but they were some great days with Di Canio, Cole, Lampard and terrible, delicious burgers.

You couldn’t get tickets to see the mighty reds all the times at Wembley? Come on United tickets aren’t as scarce as steel Rolex’s!
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 07:14 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon040289 View Post
You couldn’t get tickets to see the mighty reds all the times at Wembley? Come on United tickets aren’t as scarce as steel Rolex’s!
Maybe not but they were more expensive.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:19 AM   #52
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
That much i can gather but I dont really have choice. Stevenage has no AD and without a car traveling to the closest AD isn't trivial. London is easy and cheap by train. Just want to wait-list for a Sub ND.
I live in Hitchin and work in central London. London ADs didn't give me the time of day. I drove to Bedford, which is the closest to my home address, and the service I received couldn't have been any more different. I'd definitely recommend a visit and a chat.
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 08:19 AM   #53
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
I live in Hitchin and work in central London. London ADs didn't give me the time of day. I drove to Bedford, which is the closest to my home address, and the service I received couldn't have been any more different. I'd definitely recommend a visit and a chat.

I was in Hitchin today at David Lloyd

Old 24 June 2018, 11:07 PM   #54
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
I was in Hitchin today at David Lloyd
There's a David Lloyd (gym & health club) in Hitchin?
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 03:33 AM   #55
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
There's a David Lloyd (gym & health club) in Hitchin?

No lol meant Hatfield

Old 5 July 2018, 03:19 AM   #56
flyboy_421
"TRF" Member

In London on business this week, staying near Bond Street and visited a number of ADs. Selfridges would not talk to me other then to say they really cater to people buying many watches at a time. Watches of Switzerland had a SS YM in the window. Walked in and chatted with them, they had a SS GMT Batman. After showing it to me they explained that I would have to buy 30K worth of other watches in order for them to sell it to me. The one bright spot was Wempe, they were cordial and said they did not have much in stock, but that they don’t take names for lists, and when they get watches they sell them to first come first served.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
flyboy_421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 03:29 AM   #57
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Great story. Thank you for sharing!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 03:37 AM   #58
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Two way street has to be a winner
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 04:38 AM   #59
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy_421 View Post
In London on business this week, staying near Bond Street and visited a number of ADs. Selfridges would not talk to me other then to say they really cater to people buying many watches at a time. Watches of Switzerland had a SS YM in the window. Walked in and chatted with them, they had a SS GMT Batman. After showing it to me they explained that I would have to buy 30K worth of other watches in order for them to sell it to me. The one bright spot was Wempe, they were cordial and said they did not have much in stock, but that they don’t take names for lists, and when they get watches they sell them to first come first served.

Don’t suppose watches of Switzerland had three ss Daytona’s you could buy then you could buy the Pepsi?

Old 5 July 2018, 04:53 AM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

The U.K. AD relationship game

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy_421 View Post

Sort of true. It’s not first come first served at Wempe but it is correct there is no wait list. It’s an AD where relationships matter for sure but you need to be an established client first, however they don’t require you to spend X amount to get a watch and actually being a watch enthusiast goes a long way there if they know you
They have great stock but they are discrete about it and don’t flash it to non established clients. They have Daytona’s, 5711’s in stock on a few occasions as they have pulled both out to offer them to me before

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london , united kingdom